Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are we over the annual poppy thread?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

It's only one week a year. The question should be why is there such an uproar that he doesn't wear it?

Wasn't mentioned yesterday and he didn't wear one.
    It’s great that we don’t have a thread on the poppy this year.

The anti-poppy fascists need somewhere to vent.
    Wear mine with pride who served our country and will continue to do so. Don't care if it offends people.

Wear mine with pride too. The fuss here always amuses me, much like the threads around 'The Twelfth'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭server down

Patww79 wrote: »
    Isn't this already it?

No. This is the thread about whether it will come back. Silly.

This post has been deleted.

No this is the thread to discuss having a thread about it. It's like having a meeting about a meeting in work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

It's amazing how with all your supposed intellectual superiority you're reduced to defending the tribal imperialist commemorative symbol that is the British poppy and telling the natives they're wrong to challenge such commemoration and indeed the entire racist British historical "white man's burden" narrative that underpins it.

Damn.....'tribal' and 'racist' - forgot to include them in the poppy thread bingo game.....

Me....intellectually superior??? So when I admit to a limited vocabulary.....you perceive that as me claiming so form of intellectual superiority......riiiiiiiiiiiiiight :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭A Little Pony

Berserker wrote: »
    It's only one week a year. The question should be why is there such an uproar that he doesn't wear it?

Wasn't mentioned yesterday and he didn't wear one.
    It’s great that we don’t have a thread on the poppy this year.

The anti-poppy fascists need somewhere to vent.
    Wear mine with pride who served our country and will continue to do so. Don't care if it offends people.

Wear mine with pride too. The fuss here always amuses me, much like the threads around 'The Twelfth'.
    People looking to be offended or just left out so they want to whine about it. I spotted imperialism in my bingo game.

I spotted imperialism in my bingo game.

Did you get 'Cromwell' a few pages back? That's a big one.

Berserker wrote: »
    I spotted imperialism in my bingo game.

Did you get 'Cromwell' a few pages back? That's a big one.
    Looking for 800 years, India, Churchill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

Looking for 800 years, India, Churchill.

How about bloody sunday since its the one of reasons cited by mclean for not wearing it.....great day of pride that was for yous that was....gunning down fellow irishmen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Mutant z

Hundreds of thousands do every year, me included. Deal with it.

Many more others dont and have no intentions of ever doing so deal with it.

• Advertisement

Mutant z wrote: »
    Hundreds of thousands do every year, me included. Deal with it.

Many more others dont and have no intentions of ever doing so deal with it.
    Wear what you want, I'm not the one obsessed with whining about it, every single year. Some people seem obsessed with it.

Jawgap wrote: »
    Damn.....'tribal' and 'racist' - forgot to include them in the poppy thread bingo game....

Well you pulled out the ball called ‘foreign games’ and then wouldn’t really discuss it any further.

Well you pulled out the ball called ‘foreign games’ and then wouldn’t really discuss it any further.

Hey, it's a democracy (sort of and until SF get in) so start your own game :D

Wear what you want, I'm not the one obsessed with whining about it, every single year. Some people seem obsessed with it.

I dont care what someone wears just as long as it isnt forced down our throats, like those morons who abuse James McClean because he refuses to wear one and when you consider the atrocities that were inflicted on his home town of Derry by the BA who would blame him other than self hating west Brits.

I dont care what someone wears just as long as it isnt forced down our throats, like those morons who abuse James McClean because he refuses to wear one and when you consider the atrocities that were inflicted on his home town of Derry by the BA who would blame him other than self hating west Brits.
    West Brits another one. I'm glad Mcclean doesn't wear one, it would insult the poppy if he did.

West Brits another one. I'm glad Mcclean doesn't wear one, it would insult the poppy if he did.

It would insult the dead of bloody sunday if he did thankfully he has far more sense than that.

It would insult the dead of bloody sunday if he did thankfully he has far more sense than that.
    I wouldn't want him to wear one, so it's no skin off my nose. Worry about his own traditions.

I wouldn't want him to wear one, so it's no skin off my nose. Worry about his own traditions.

I dont think he cares what you think one way or the other he happens to come from a place where innocent unarmed people were shot dead in cold blood by British forces, the same kind of people who glorify the poppy thats what it represents on this island imperlialism and the worst excesses of UK rule.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

Hmm. ....were you not posting all over the orginal mclean thread damaging he be sacked etc :D:D:D

You've mellowed in your old age

• Registered Users Posts: 14,059 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Do we need it anymore, is it time to allow Irish people to wear whatever they want?

I presume you mean they can choose to wear a poppy if they want?

• Advertisement

I dont think he cares what you think one way or the other he happens to come from a place where innocent unarmed people were shot dead in cold blood by British forces, the same kind of people who glorify the poppy thats what it represents on this island imperlialism and the worst excesses of UK rule.
    Not to everyone, a lot of people disagree with that statement.

Not to everyone, a lot of people disagree with that statement.

Whatever those are the fact of the matter however.

Great. I look forward to you maintaining that "wear what you like" position if a group wearing IRA t-shirts decide to walk up and down the Shankill Road. No provocation there.

Wearing the British poppy in Ireland, India or any of the other former colonies/remnants of colonies is a straight up fúck you rubbing in the face from the remnants of the British colonial and settler-colonial community across the world to the indigenous communities which its Empire robbed/dispossessed/ brutalised/ subjugated/dehumanised/culturally raped generation after generation. Absolutely nothing else but a supremacist glorification of colonial dominance/a fúck you to its victims. And we all know it.

So, go on and wear your poppy glorification of the violence and subjugation by the British Empire, but don't be surprised if we laugh you out of it when you suddenly get moral about the natives using violence for their mad political aims like freedom, democracy, justice and the like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

I think this has turned into a meta-ironic-thinly-veiled-non-poppy thread

Great. I look forward to you maintaining that "wear what you like" position if a group wearing IRA t-shirts decide to walk up and down the Shankill Road. No provocation there.

Wearing the British poppy in Ireland, India or any of the other former colonies/remnants of colonies is a straight up fúck you rubbing in the face from the remnants of the British colonial and settler-colonial community across the world to the indigenous communities which its Empire robbed/dispossessed/ brutalised/ subjugated/dehumanised/culturally raped generation after generation. Absolutely nothing else but a supremacist glorification of colonial dominance/a fúck you to its victims. And we all know it.

So, go on and wear your poppy glorification of the violence and subjugation by the British Empire, but don't be surprised if we laugh you out of it when you suddenly get moral about the natives using violence for their mad political aims like freedom, democracy, justice and the like.

HOUSE!!!

Sure it's boards.ie........it's After Hours.......what were you expecting, the Agora?

• Registered Users Posts: 67,496 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

I don't understand how you can be proud to wear something people have to be ordered to wear in professional life.
    Some British are so uptight and insecure about such things.

Jawgap wrote: »
    Sure it's boards.ie........it's After Hours.......what were you expecting, the Agora?

Hmmm, you wanted to explore the depth of James McClean’s convictions earlier. Why do it in AH?

• Advertisement

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement