Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Radiohead - 'A Moon Shaped Pool'

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Vinculus

I always felt each album improved on the one before and on and on it went up until TKOL which I originally thought it was disappointing but over the last week I've started listening to again and I'm now completely blown away by it.
    Bloom is an incredible opening track.
    To me, this is like Kid A part 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,138 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

I remember being 14 and buying OK Computer in an Airport shop before heading off with my family on a holiday to Spain. That first listen on headphones, hearing Airbag for the first time. Man. Maybe we grow used to it as we've heard it so many times since then or heard so much varied music since then - but the first two tracks on OK Computer blew the ****ing head off your shoulders on first listen imo. There was a landscape of British music at the time that OKC stood apart from.

The documentary about the OKC tour really rammed home the point about how even the most exciting pieces of music can become stale the more you hear / play them with its repeated shots of the Paranoid Android guitar sections in a myriad of different venues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    I remember being 14 and buying OK Computer in an Airport shop before heading off with my family on a holiday to Spain. That first listen on headphones, hearing Airbag for the first time. Man. Maybe we grow used to it as we've heard it so many times since then or heard so much varied music since then - but the first two tracks on OK Computer blew the ****ing head off your shoulders on first listen imo. There was a landscape of British music at the time that OKC stood apart from.

The documentary about the OKC tour really rammed home the point about how even the most exciting pieces of music can become stale the more you hear / play them with its repeated shots of the Paranoid Android guitar sections in a myriad of different venues.

I first heard Paranoid Android on Atlantic 252 and from then on I knew the type of path I would follow.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

OKC is a rather fitting album to listen to a plane. Or maybe not. I share Thom's fear of transportation so that album really spoke to me at the time. I still have nightmares of cars or buses flying out of control. Being hit by a car last year didn't help.

The live version of Killer Cars on Itch is brilliant!

I used to think Thom was a bit of a negative person, hence the lyrical content, but now I think he might have some mental issues (who doesn't?) like depression and anxiety. Not just singing about those issues from afar but actually feeling them and living with them. As someone who occasionally suffers from those issues it makes me warm to him even more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Quirky little video, posted there. EDIT: On their Facebook and Instagram, cant link it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

https://www.instagram.com/p/BFobIUWKyu2/

Appears to be another vignette.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,453 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

They played Creep in Paris last night (the first time live in 7 years as far as I know).

Edit: No Surprises too... :)

You can see it better from this angle, but Thom forgets the lyrics to the outro and has to ask Ed. Pretty funny.

I listened to the bootlegs from the first two gigs in Amsterdam and there was a guy yelling "creep!" between practically every song. I'm amazed people still do this. I can understand why this was so annoying for the band early in their career.

I can't stand people who go to gigs knowing only one song and proceed to shout it for the whole gig. At Peter Gabriel there was a donkey next to me shouting Sledgehammer, despite the fact that Peter Gabriel had come out and told the crowd they'd play the So album in it's entirety during the third section of the gig.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,354 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Nice to see that they're mixing things up.

Airbag and Climbing up the Walls already played tonight.

If they play Let Down at one of their London dates after I failed to get tickets then I'll forever hold a grudge.

I love Let Down. It seems to be a really hard song for them to play live, though.

I know, all the more reason for me wanting to hear it live.

I've seen 9 out of my favourite 10 songs played live so Let Down has become my 'holy grail'.

If the difference between me hearing it live or not comes down to my inability to get my hands on tickets for these shows then I'll be super pissed.

Has there been any feedback on how strict venues have been at the door with regards to the card holder being present?

S.M.B. wrote: »
    Has there been any feedback on how strict venues have been at the door with regards to the card holder being present?

I was checked twice in Amsterdam; 2 sets of checks and both required photo ID matching the name on the ticket.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,186 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

S.M.B. wrote: »
    I know, all the more reason for me wanting to hear it live.

I've seen 9 out of my favourite 10 songs played live so Let Down has become my 'holy grail'.

If the difference between me hearing it live or not comes down to my inability to get my hands on tickets for these shows then I'll be super pissed.

Was at the Amsterdam show on Friday, got asked for id twice on the way in

Well that's good to hear. Looks like it's not enough to circumvent the touting here in the UK.

I could fly to Lollapalooza in Germany, get a ticket for the Sunday, stay for a few nights for the cheapest ticket available on the second hand market at the moment.

Hmmmm, maybe I'll do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,138 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Pretty good lick at Let Down here:

https://youtu.be/yCloiyewBCQ

And their bag of tricks is a lot more impressive these days than it was during the OKC tour...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

I liked this album at first, I absolutely adore it a couple of weeks later. It's a real grower, so many layers. The guitar work is fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭budgemook

I liked this album at first, I absolutely adore it a couple of weeks later. It's a real grower, so many layers. The guitar work is fantastic.

Agree with this. The best albums are always this way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Achasanai

budgemook wrote: »
    Agree with this. The best albums are always this way.

Also agree. Haven't got into it quite yet, but pretty sure it's going to be one of those that I won't be getting sick of.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

this is the definitive version of Let Down for me now:

Achasanai wrote: »
    Also agree. Haven't got into it quite yet, but pretty sure it's going to be one of those that I won't be getting sick of.

It's probably the first album (not pop) that I've 'gotten' on first listen. This initially concerned me because the best albums require many listens but so far this one is still rewarding my obsessive amount of listens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

OK, I've given it a few weeks now. I still don't like it, and I still think TKOL is better.

It feels like a album with no direction, to me.

I give up.

loyatemu wrote: »

I like that easy all stars album, a lot, and that version of Let Down works really well but everything that makes the original song transcend similar anthemic songs is missing from the ESA version.

That's by far the standout track on Radiodread.

Saipanne wrote: »
    OK, I've given it a few weeks now. I still don't like it, and I still think TKOL is better.

It feels like a album with no direction, to me.

I give up.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,118 ✭✭✭mosstin

Right then, weeks of listening later.......I like it a lot. I don't love it. I love aspects about it. I love 'Burn the Witch, 'Daydreaming' and Identikit'. I really enjoy listening to it as a whole but I couldn't say that I love it.
    If this is a period they're moving in to though - late period, reflective - I'm all for it. It's about a 7/10 for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭Table Top Joe

Thats fantastic! have the album on Spotify now

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

I see "In Rainbows" has now appeared on Spotify for the first time. I assume AMSP will appear in due course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭EGriff

I see "In Rainbows" has now appeared on Spotify for the first time. I assume AMSP will appear in due course.

June 17th according to the verge. Weird they don't have it yet, it's been on Google music since day 1 pretty much, don't know about apple.

Advertisement