Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Radiohead - 'A Moon Shaped Pool'

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

First listen. I can't remember a more satisfying first listen of anything in a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭OhHiMark

First listen - meh.

Second listen - hey, this is good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭fluke

First listen - the first 3 tracks really pull me in, but then I did listen to them in the in dark before going to sleep. The rest were heard just as dozing off/ getting to work this morning.

No doubt second listen will be more revealing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

what are the songs about, I need to feel a sense of connection or I am going back to the likes of Barry Manilow and ABBA, who while, displaying similar levels of emotive musicianship, show me the courtesy of spelling out exactly what emotions I should be feeling

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

I think at least three of them are about the Hungarian fishing industry.

• Advertisement

donfers wrote: »
    what are the songs about, I need to feel a sense of connection or I am going back to the likes of Barry Manilow and ABBA, who while, displaying similar levels of emotive musicianship, show me the courtesy of spelling out exactly what emotions I should be feeling

Surely they'll be listed in the CD booklet?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,227 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

donfers wrote: »

On of them is basically along the lines of 'Ain't love grand', one about internet cat videos and another about the taking of Pelham 123.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

Best album in ages.....oh that choir on Identikit... the groove on Decks Dark...tremendous album, both those tracks on constant repeat.

Top Tip, I used **** headphones at first and then switched to better ones and the whole sound just lit up, loads of subtle stuff going on

love it love it LOVE IT!

please god they come to ireland and NOT play souless big open air venues

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Vinculus

Just finished the forth listen and it's really, really grown on me.

I'm guessing the backtracking at the end of Daydreaming might not be actually in reverse.
    To me it sounds like he saying " I'm not your friend "

And I take back what I said about The King of Limbs. I think it's stunning.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,354 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Best album in ages.....oh that choir on Identikit... the groove on Decks Dark...tremendous album, both those tracks on constant repeat.

Top Tip, I used **** headphones at first and then switched to better ones and the whole sound just lit up, loads of subtle stuff going on

love it love it LOVE IT!

please god they come to ireland and NOT play souless big open air venues
    The risk is you don't get tickets then.

Happened here in London this tour. Happened with those intimate shows they did in the Olympia about 15 years ago too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,925 ✭✭✭Paleface

Great album!

Anyone else getting a Desert Rock vibe off The Numbers?

Never thought I'd say that about Radiohead!

Paleface wrote: »
    Great album!

Anyone else getting a Desert Rock vibe off The Numbers?

Never thought I'd say that about Radiohead!

I get this.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Really loving Present Tense. It feels like a spiritual sequel to Reckoner, both musically and lyrically. In Reckoner, Thom sings about the human tendency to seek distraction from life/death. And in Present Tense he compares "the dance" to being a "weapon" that distracts him from the "present" where his world is "crashing down". The stuff about keeping things "light" rather than "heavy" made me think of The Unbearable Lightness of Being, especially how that novel associates lightness with the fleetingness of love. In fact, that book's characterisation of dreamers as people who fall love with the idea of a person, an idea that remains with them long after the real person has left, is probably applicable to Daydreaming as well.

It's very Radiohead in that it doesn't sound like Radiohead, in a lot of places.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭sadie06

I am completely in love with this album. It's absolutely epic in its scope and beauty and I wish I could take a week off from life and just immerse myself in it.

Like many here, Identikit is my repeat-listen song right now. I hear hints of Alt J in it, but taken to another level.

This album reminds me of the later work of a lot of the great composers, when they effortlessly weave together every great compositional trick they've ever used.

I'd like to finish with a prayer (yes a prayer) but an alternative take on the atheist's prayer, so everyone can join in. ;)

Oh God, if there be a God, thank you for Radiohead.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭UrbanSprawl

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

It was first played on the TKOL tour. As was Ful Stop and Present Tense. The band likes to debut songs live before recording the studio version.

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭kirk buttercup

Thats class. I have only heard bits and pieces as its not on spotify yet and im waiting to buy it on cd . but have loved everything I have heard so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭purple hands

Move your arse, make it rain
    Move your arse, make it raiieeaaiieeaaiin

sadie06 wrote: »
    I am completely in love with this album. It's absolutely epic in its scope and beauty and I wish I could take a week off from life and just immerse myself in it.

Like many here, Identikit is my repeat-listen song right now. I hear hints of Alt J in it, but taken to another level.

This album reminds me of the later work of a lot of the great composers, when they effortlessly weave together every great compositional trick they've ever used.

I'd like to finish with a prayer (yes a prayer) but an alternative take on the atheist's prayer, so everyone can join in. ;)

Oh God, if there be a God, thank you for Radiohead.

Don't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

I love it so much, I'm actually going to pay for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

Love it on first listen, shades of Can/Neu on Ful Stop.

I'm beginning to lose my love of Ful Stop. It feels out of place on the album and reminds me of Sit down Stand up (which I love) in it's repetitive refrain. Ask me again tomorrow and it'll probably be my favorite again.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Vinculus

I know I'm getting a head of myself but I can't wait for the remixes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

I braved the lovely weather today to go see a movie and was in for a wonderful surprise.

https://twitter.com/event_junkies/status/731140126747832320
    https://twitter.com/StevenWallaby/status/731192596341637121

WEN I C U MESSIN ME AROWN I DON WAN 2 NO I DON WAN 2 NO

• Registered Users Posts: 3,186 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

e_e wrote: »
    I braved the lovely weather today to go see a movie and was in for a wonderful surprise.

https://twitter.com/event_junkies/status/731140126747832320
    https://twitter.com/StevenWallaby/status/731192596341637121
    Was in the Lighthouse this afternoon and it came on just as I was taking my seat

Counting down the days to seeing them in Amsterdam next Friday

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭budgemook

Billy Mays wrote: »
    Was in the Lighthouse this afternoon and it came on just as I was taking my seat

Counting down the days to seeing them in Amsterdam next Friday

Are they going to play this before the film throughout the week??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,186 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

budgemook wrote: »
    Are they going to play this before the film throughout the week??
    No idea tbh

Didn't know anything about it being shown today

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

Don't know about during the week but today it's playing before:

Everybody Wants Some (4:45 PM)
    Green Room (6:50 PM and 9:00 PM)

Both movies that are to an extent about rock music too. Highly recommend Green Room btw.

Advertisement