Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Radiohead - 'A Moon Shaped Pool'

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Just listening to Spectre there for the first time (missed the soundcloud release for some reason). Interesting experiment. Definitely wouldn't fit on the album.

It's so much better than Sam Smith's song, though. I don't know what Eon were thinking. It even fits the opening titles better. There was a video on Youtube but it was pulled.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Grayditch wrote: »
    Even within songs you don't know how they will turn. I never expected 2+2=5 to turn punk halfway through. Set a great tone for the rest which is why HTTT is one of my favourites.

I never really cared for HTTT and am always surprised to hear people rate it so highly.

Was HTTT your first Radiohead album?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

I never really cared for HTTT and am always surprised to hear people rate it so highly.

Was HTTT your first Radiohead album?

No, I bought Pablo Honey the day it came out.

I do think the second half of HTTT is almost disappointing compared to the first side.

But I'm one of the people who think Amnesiac is as good as Kid A.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭OhHiMark

HTTT is my favourite of their post OK Computer stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,227 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

sadie06 wrote: »
    I got a slap down earlier in the thread for mentioning Alt J. That kind of attitude is more than annoying. I think Radiohead are the greatest living band and I am a devoted fan, but musical discourse would be very dull if it only mentioned one band. All music is set in context by the exploration of past and contemporary influences, and by the possibility of a band's lasting influence.

Radiohead, as influenced by Radiohead only compared to Radiohead is, in my opinion, boring.

Oh, that was me, and that was a joke.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Birneybau wrote: »
    Oh, that was me, and that was a joke.

At the risk of setting myself up for a public execution, I would definitely take Alt Js 2 albums over the last 2 Radiohead albums (current one and TKOL). Liked In Rainbows alright.

Speaking of HTTT, Thom's alternate track listing, which it seems he did in reponse to criticisms, is pretty interesting:
    there there
    the gloaming
    sail to the moon
    sit down. stand up
    go to sleep
    whereiendandubegin
    scatterbrain
    2+2=5
    myxomatosis
    a wolf at the door

I'm not sure about The Gloaming, but There There is a much better album opener.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

Speaking of HTTT, Thom's alternate track listing, which it seems he did in reponse to criticisms, is pretty interesting:

I'm not sure about The Gloaming, but There There is a much better album opener.

Not hip on Scatterbrain but the rest are good. I listened to it recently on good headphones and it was most pleasurable.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,354 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

HTTT may be a bit bloated and patchy but it'd contribute a sizeable amount of songs to any "best of radiohead' track-listing that I could ever come up with.

Have to say, I'm not a fan of The Gloaming which is clearly a big band favourite to this day.

There are some nice tracks in the first half and I love There There, but I never really cared for HTTT. Found it vastly inferior to Kid A/Amnesiac. Expectations probably had a lot to do with it, but it just didn't feel like the band was progressing. Even the best tracks seemed like minor versions of stuff they had done before. And the whole thing seemed rushed. It reminded me of the lesser R.E.M. albums when they were putting out a record because they felt they had to, like the band was on auto-pilot.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,147 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I love HTTT, probably my second favourite radiohead album after the bends, it literally took around ten listens before I started to enjoy it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭mejulie805

It's so much better than Sam Smith's song, though. I don't know what Eon were thinking. It even fits the opening titles better. There was a video on Youtube but it was pulled.

Video is still out there... watch it here...:)

Ugh I hate Sam Smith not just cos his song was pants, but he's such an ass :pac: Did you see his conference when he was asked if he listened to this song??

mejulie805 wrote: »

Ugh I hate Sam Smith not just cos his song was pants, but he's such an ass :pac: Did you see his conference when he was asked if he listened to this song??

Have you met him? :pac:

mejulie805 wrote: »

When he was asked about Thom Yorke of Radiohead and was like "who"? Yeah I saw that. He didn't even seem aware that there was another song commissioned. But by his own account, his song was a last minute thing, written and recorded in the space of a few hours. The vocal in the final song was from the demo.

In fairness to Smyth, though, he's young and obviously running on rails laid out for him by others to a large extent. And it's not like Thom has ever been very friendly towards people like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

love HTTTT. found radiohead via creep which i dismissed but then my iron lung and finally OK Computer sent me into overdrive. Hated Kid A and actually thought it was a piss take until I gave it another go and it clicked.
    KIng of LImbs probably their weakest album for me, and In Rainbows still amazes and delights

But then I'm an old electronica\new wave fan from the 70's Kraftwerk, Numan, the cabs, Throbbing Gristle etc etc

No doubt they will appear on Jools hollands "Later"

love this but not as good as the Later version which has disappeared

I think the psychological reason for the repetitive 'second part of LPx' hope is that many fans are feeling unsatisfied by Radiohead's recent work. We were spoiled rotten up to and including Kid A, dramatic shifts in style. Since then there's been no 'wow, the innovators have done it again'. So after the hype and hope of a new record, when a sea-change doesn't come, some fans are left unsatisfied and assuming it must come, surely, maybe there's a second disk, maybe it'll happen in the next record. I have to admit I used to sometimes feel unsatisfied, not because of any record's quality, but the 'missed opportunity to innovate'.

But after In Rainbows, I have become more realistic and have become more appreciative of what I do get. It's very unlikely that Radiohead will ever write another Paranoid Android or a Kid A. That's why when I first head Burn The Witch, I was delighted because it was just a great track, and didn't need to reinvent the wheel.

I can understand the dismissiveness of folk who last heard of Radiohead during OK Computer and then hearing AMSP, but it's hard to appreciate art by just dipping in and out. You have to know its context, where it fits, what journey it came on.

In Rainbows was a big departure from what they were doing before. I think every 3 albums has been a significant jump forward which the subsequent two albums have evolved from. So AMSP is the final album in the In Rainbows era. I think the next album will be very different, if there is a next album.

And while I didn't care enormously for TKOL at the time, I think it will get a major reappraisal in years to come. Conceptually it's probably their tightest and most cohesive album.

In Rainbows was a big departure from what they were doing before.

It wasn't a sea-change though. It was a mixture of rock and electronica and orchestra. All seen every other Radiohead record. I loved it though.

I wouldn't consider any of their albums sea changes. They always built on what came before. Kid was a big jump forward, but the electronic influence had been well set-up in OK Computer, even if they were using guitars to do it.

In Rainbows to me was an emotional departure. The songs were more mature, sexier, less angsty. It felt like a different, happier band.

had been well set-up in OK Computer, even if they were using guitars to do it.

Lucky -> Everything in its right place is huge.

In Rainbows to me was an emotional departure. The songs were more mature, sexier, less angsty. It felt like a different, happier band.

Agreed and I feel the same about AMSP.

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

In Rainbows was them at their peak, for me. Was never into the pop 90s stuff. Kid A onward is my Radiohead.

Dunno if I'd class OK Computer as a pop album. I still think it's my favourite of theirs. Felt like I had found an album from the future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

Grayditch wrote: »
    Dunno if I'd class OK Computer as a pop album. I still think it's my favourite of theirs. Felt like I had found an album from the future.

The poppiest of all, perhaps. Single after single. Compare it to Kid A, to see what i mean.

I don't always correlate accessibility with pop, but I get you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭frantic190

It seems something happened.

http://www.radiohead.com/deadairspace

New video to something?

Edit: Looks like you can swipe to one of the cryptic artworks they posted by moving your mouse to the left hand side of the screen.

OKC sounded very different at the time. Britpop then was still Oasis. Though it's amazing how in the space of just a few years that changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭OhHiMark

Saipanne wrote: »
    The poppiest of all, perhaps. Single after single. Compare it to Kid A, to see what i mean.

Fitter Happier was originally written for S Club 7.

OhHiMark wrote: »
    Fitter Happier was originally written for S Club 7.

Climbing Up The Walls for the Spice Girls.

Ludicrous

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,354 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Classifying OK Computer as '90s pop stuff' sounds pretty condescending imo.

Personally, I found the jump from Street Spirit to Paranoid Android to be a bigger leap than No Surprises to Everything in it's Right Place.

Karma Police and No Surprises may be accessible tunes that were appreciated by the masses but I'd be hard pressed to think of much more on the album that's overtly poppy.

Advertisement