Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Radiohead - 'A Moon Shaped Pool'

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭kirk buttercup

Listened to it today. Amazing. A masterpiece

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭circular flexing

I don't really like paying for MP3s on their own and I don't have a subscription to Tidal and Apple Music (nor do I want one). I checked out the pre-order options but couldn't justify the cost of the special edition (with the instant download) so I have just pre-ordered the regular vinyl and will wait until then to listen to it. Something to look forward to.

I still can't believe they finally recorded True Love Waits - I first heard it live when they played in Belfast in 2001.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭sadie06

I don't really like paying for MP3s on their own and I don't have a subscription to Tidal and Apple Music (nor do I want one). I checked out the pre-order options but couldn't justify the cost of the special edition (with the instant download) so I have just pre-ordered the regular vinyl and will wait until then to listen to it. Something to look forward to.

Don't wait. Google Play Music 30 day free trial.

sadie06 wrote: »
    Don't wait. Google Play Music 30 day free trial.

It's not up on Google Play Music.

It's not up on Google Play Music.

Yes it is. That's where I've listened to it 20 odd times.

• Advertisement

Yes it is. That's where I've listened to it 20 odd times.

It's available to buy on Google, not to stream (at least in Canada).

This is the full list of where it is available

http://smarturl.it/rhAMSP

It's available to buy on Google, not to stream (at least in Canada).

This is the full list of where it is available

http://smarturl.it/rhAMSP

Ah I see. In Ireland it's available to stream.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,138 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

So I've had it on repeat since last Monday morning for whatever part of the day I have earphones in. I think it's a brilliant record. Before every Radiohead release since Kid A there is always some period of conversation that revolves around 'why don't they redo the first four songs off the Bends again with maybe a Paranoid Android thrown in?' Radiohead's strength is their constant development as artists and their ability to remain comfortably uncomfortable.

To put it another way: it wouldn't make sense for guys approaching 50 to be rocking out, to be revisiting the same ground they occupied in their twenties. Leaving aside the further step forward in terms of technical skill and production values that have become commonplace for Radiohead, this is a contemplative and accepting record in terms of tone - and why would men in their mid to late fourties be making anything else?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,354 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Are people genuinely still having that conversation before every album? I assumed everyone had moved past that.

I think it's great that they're recording songs that were written and first performed 20 years ago and making them feel perfectly at home within the context of their current output.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

S.M.B. wrote: »
    Are people genuinely still having that conversation before every album? I assumed everyone had moved past that.

Not overtly, though it still seems implicit in a lot of the message board discussions I've read. It's progressed from the Kid A days, when everyone thought Amnesiac would have the rock tracks, to a more general sense of "is that all?" that welcomes every new release.

When In Rainbows came out and a discbox with a second disc of b-sides was announced, everyone thought that it was a double album and that all the electric guitar stuff would be on the 2nd disc (it wasn't). Then with King of Limbs there was some delusional theory that TKOL was the first half of a double album and the second half would be released within a few months – with rock tracks. I just looked at AtEase a minute ago and they are already predicting the release of LP10, either imminently or in the next 6 months.

It's hard to know if they are joking anymore, but I definitely think that rocker sub-group is alive and well among the Radiohead fanbase, if probably a bit crazy at this point. I also still come across people on Twitter talking about how they prefer Muse - in reference to the old rivalry that existed among Radiohead fans around the time of Muse's first 2 albums.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

I've only listened to it three times through, to keep my curiosity at bay while I wait for the record to come out. Happy knowing that it's a great album, but looking forward to unlocking more of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,227 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Not overtly, though it still seems implicit in a lot of the message board discussions I've read. It's progressed from the Kid A days, when everyone thought Amnesiac would have the rock tracks, to a more general sense of "is that all?" that welcomes every new release.

When In Rainbows came out and a discbox with a second disc of b-sides was announced, everyone thought that it was a double album and that all the electric guitar stuff would be on the 2nd disc (it wasn't). Then with King of Limbs there was some delusional theory that TKOL was the first half of a double album and the second half would be released within a few months – with rock tracks. I just looked at AtEase a minute ago and they are already predicting the release of LP10, either imminently or in the next 6 months.

It's hard to know if they are joking anymore, but I definitely think that rocker sub-group is alive and well among the Radiohead fanbase, if probably a bit crazy at this point. I also still come across people on Twitter talking about how they prefer Muse.

Some new artwork has been released sporadically over the last few days.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Birneybau wrote: »
    Some new artwork has been released sporadically over the last few days.

Yeah but that's just artwork Donwood created for this album. It doesn't mean there's more music coming. I expect another video and probably a few b-sides over the next 6 months, but that's all.

They put Spectre up on Spotify, there. No album though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,354 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

I haven't been on AtEase since the lead up to HTTT.

I remember al the talk of Amnesiac being the follow up album of guitar oriented stuff. I remember the speculation about a TKOL part II but I didn't realise the consensus was that it was going to be a more 'traditional' album.

In saying all this, I was really hoping Big Boots was going to end up on the latest release. I had just finished listening to True Love Waits when I read the actual track-listing which was a bit spooky.

Grayditch wrote: »
    They put Spectre up on Spotify, there. No album though.

I assume this is because of Spotify's free tier.

In saying all this, I was really hoping Big Boots was going to end up on the latest release. I had just finished listening to True Love Waits when I read the actual track-listing which was a bit spooky.

I think Big Boots can be considered well and truly abandoned at this stage. I remember Thom talking about and it seemed like there was too much negative associations with it for them ever to go back to it.

I assume this is because of Spotify's free tier.

Can artists not opt out of it that? I don't blame Radiohead either way. I wonder what deal Kanye West got for them to get his latest album.

Can artists not opt out of it that? I don't blame Radiohead either way. I wonder what deal Kanye West got for them to get his latest album.

I think at one point artists could opt out, but Spotify weren't keen on it. Also many artists are starting to take the position just on the principle because they don't believe music should be free.

I think Spotify will be forced to back down eventually and/or go bust. Apple and Google will see to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭budgemook

OT but do artists get more if their songs are played by paying subscribers? Do they get more from Google / Apple?

I remember the talk of TKOL being a part 1 due to its length but don't remember talk of part 2 being a rock record. That's pretty funny.

But hey, Burn The Witch f**king rocks to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭OhHiMark

It's hard to know if they are joking anymore, but I definitely think that rocker sub-group is alive and well among the Radiohead fanbase, if probably a bit crazy at this point. I also still come across people on Twitter talking about how they prefer Muse.

Are people not allowed to prefer different bands than you?

OhHiMark wrote: »

I got a slap down earlier in the thread for mentioning Alt J. That kind of attitude is more than annoying. I think Radiohead are the greatest living band and I am a devoted fan, but musical discourse would be very dull if it only mentioned one band. All music is set in context by the exploration of past and contemporary influences, and by the possibility of a band's lasting influence.

Radiohead, as influenced by Radiohead only compared to Radiohead is, in my opinion, boring.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭flasher0030

People can prefer whatever music/band that they wish. But someone to say that they prefer Muse over Radiohead is naively doing so on the premise that there is some similarity between the music of Muse and Radiohead. There may have been, back in the day. Muse stuck to the same formula, but Radiohead transformed their music output into something entirely different. Therefore, it is senseless for someone to say that they prefer Muse over Radiohead, as you would not be comparing like for like. I could say I prefer Radiohead to Hank Williams, but the reaction would be "so what".

budgemook wrote: »
    OT but do artists get more if their songs are played by paying subscribers?

Yes, what they get from the ad-supported tier is even more minuscule than what they get from subscriptions.
    I remember the talk of TKOL being a part 1 due to its length but don't remember talk of part 2 being a rock record. That's pretty funny.

There wasn't talk of TKOL2 being a rock record, but there was with Amnesias and the IR b-sides, and thus I think it was implicit in the TKOL2 speculation as well, even if nobody was saying it.

Yes, they can. I didn't say they couldn't. :confused:

I mentioned Muse in the context of the discussion of (usually die-hard) Radiohead fans who feel the band should return to making rockier, Bends-era music. Muse were once extremely popular amongst Radiohead fans for this reason and it was common to hear fans of Radiohead's rockier stuff bash their post-Kid A output by saying Muse were better.

Sorry if you are a Muse fan and I offended you. I have and love Muse's first three albums btw. I haven't kept up with their recent output, though.
    I got a slap down earlier in the thread for mentioning Alt J. That kind of attitude is more than annoying.

Just to be clear, OhHiMark misunderstood my post. I wasn't expressing any kind of attitude.

A lot of HTTT should have quenched the thirst for rockier stuff, surely.

I think it's great that they're recording songs that were written and first performed 20 years ago and making them feel perfectly at home within the context of their current output.

From the first page of this thread:
    Mr E wrote: »
    I'd be happy with some electric guitars. Not holding my breath though.
    Tombo2001 wrote: »
    Can I ask you Radiohead fans....

I really enjoyed Pablo Honey when it was released - honest to goodness straight forward rock music with great songs.

The Bends also was very good, but for me a little over produced, not as raw as Pablo Honey. Probably the best songs on it were better than the best songs on Pablo Honey.

Then OK Computer, for me just dull - over hyped, over produced, no really great tracks......emperors new clothes. Too self absorbed.

Since then, I've never really liked any of their stuff. Some good songs, but nothing to draw me back in - I feel they've wasted their career by essentially dis-owning what is the essence of popular music - great, simple songs.

Am I on my own? I know.....wrong thread.....the world wont end.....
    Looper007 wrote: »
    I do think The Bends and Ok computer are masterpieces. Also admire Kid A and In Rainbows but can't get into any their other work. Love the Magic Roundabout meets Wicker Man clay motion video, and it's certainly a challenging piece of work. Just wish they got out the guitars and just bloody rocked again. But they are one of the more interesting acts left and that's why they are loved.

By the way I fully agree with you with respect to appreciating the fact that they have taking old songs and reworked them within their more mature and technically ambitious later career approach.

A lot of HTTT should have quenched the thirst for rockier stuff, surely.

That or Bodysnatchers on In Rainbows. The bottom line is their albums never feel forced to me. They go full bore on a particular musical place with each record and then move on - sometimes before their fanbase are ready to. That's why - nine albums in - a Radiohead release is so exciting. You just don't know what to expect, what it will sound like. Long may it last...

Just listening to Spectre there for the first time (missed the soundcloud release for some reason). Interesting experiment. Definitely wouldn't fit on the album.

• Advertisement

Even within songs you don't know how they will turn. I never expected 2+2=5 to turn punk halfway through. Set a great tone for the rest which is why HTTT is one of my favourites.

Advertisement