Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New Top Gear, will you be watching it?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Much better than last week, the challenge was good fun. Maybe they should have EJ there permanently

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭ads20101

Mc Love wrote: »
    Much better than last week, the challenge was good fun. Maybe they should have EJ there permanently

I thought that was the plan

• Registered Users Posts: 8,628 ✭✭✭corks finest

ads20101 wrote: »
    I thought that was the plan

Enjoyed it,but my 13 yr old,real top gear fan,surprised that he laughed whilst watching, think we're both warming to it,Evans is loud though

• Registered Users Posts: 17,416 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Better this week but Evans still coming across as an out and out irritating flash bollix who has no business on the show, would be so much better without him.

I'm a ginger myself but god ever time I see Evans I think to myself.."you're frakking irritating ginger twat".
    They'll have to get rid of him I think..there's no way Evans will let someone dictate to him about his manner so they'll end up firing him.
    If they let Matt be the primary host and Harris it could be interesting.
    I've watched Harris on youtube and he always comes across well.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,409 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Here the car and here's me driving it,and that's it.
    Don't think he has the knowledge to talk about or even the ability to drive those things,at least the other crew had driven all of them previously and could compare and contrast.

Evans also looked like a child who'd lost his ice cream when Sea Sick Steve was driving the Jeep.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Matt is clearly into his cars and seems to drive well. He's got his moments and I like him. His droll style is quite good actually.

Evans just doesn't do anything for me. He doesn't know enough and he's too energetic for no reason.

Eddie was clearly limited last night, I think he was deliberately stopped from driving in the final challenge as he would have stood a very decent chance.

The show still has all the glorious filmography, slowmo shots etc.

Overall, I'm enjoying it and I think it's settling in. It's got to be judged on its own merits.

Blazer wrote: »
    I'm a ginger myself but god ever time I see Evans I think to myself.."you're frakking irritating ginger twat".
    They'll have to get rid of him I think..there's no way Evans will let someone dictate to him about his manner so they'll end up firing him.
    If they let Matt be the primary host and Harris it could be interesting.
    I've watched Harris on youtube and he always comes across well.

Yep,Evans hasn't got the charisma,Jeremy was loud,etc,but he had charm,and was able to make everyone feel a part of the show,he's an impossible act to follow, all 3 were brilliant, roll on Amazon's take on tg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭bear1

I'd say the Beeb won't change anything until they see the reactions to TG2.
    If the reactions are much more positive than TG then it could be forced into re-revamping.

bear1 wrote: »
    I'd say the Beeb won't change anything until they see the reactions to TG2.
    If the reactions are much more positive than TG then it could be forced into re-revamping.

Agree,and that would be a good thing,maybe we will have 2 decent car shows to watch

• Registered Users Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭Fattes

kneemos wrote: »
    Here the car and here's me driving it,and that's it.
    Don't think he has the knowledge to talk about or even the ability to drive those things,at least the other crew had driven all of them previously and could compare and contrast.

Yeah what would Chris Evans know about high powered sports cars! Other than the fact that he has a large private collection of modern and classic ones that he drives regularly. Here is some of the cars, he put 30 up for auction recently too.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/cars/gallery/top-gear-presenter-chris-evanss-car-collection-in-pictures/mercedes-190sl/

• Advertisement

Haven't seen the new episode yet, but considering it's an SUV test is it anything like the last series where they did challenges with jeeps bought for 150 pounds?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,409 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Fattes wrote: »
    Yeah what would Chris Evans know about high powered sports cars! Other than the fact that he has a large private collection of modern and classic ones that he drives regularly. Here is some of the cars, he put 30 up for auction recently too.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/cars/gallery/top-gear-presenter-chris-evanss-car-collection-in-pictures/mercedes-190sl/

Driving around Windsor and Eton in his toys doesn't mean he either knows anything about them or is capable of driving them quickly.

Haven't seen the new episode yet, but considering it's an SUV test is it anything like the last series where they did challenges with jeeps bought for 150 pounds?

Top of the range jag,merc,Porsche,jag SUV was a cracker

• Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭goochy

Misses it is it repeated on rte?

goochy wrote: »

Presume rate player

• Registered Users Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Was the 2nd episode an improvement on the first?

Was the 2nd episode an improvement on the first?

V much so

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

goochy wrote: »

7pm on BBC Two today I believe!

New figures for last nights episode and it appears to be a disaster.
    The lost approx 1.5 million viewers from last week with only 2.8 million tuning in.

http://www.theguardian.com/media/2016/jun/06/chris-evans-top-gear-audience-bbc

That's very very bad news.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭Spudman_20000

New figures for last nights episode and it appears to be a disaster.
    The lost approx 1.5 million viewers from last week with only 2.8 million tuning in.

http://www.theguardian.com/media/2016/jun/06/chris-evans-top-gear-audience-bbc

That's very very bad news.

I'm sure we'll have another Twitter rant from Evans with more FACTS to refute these figures or something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

Watched the first episode yesterday forgot it was back on, not overly impressed, i mean it was fun..ish, but throughout the whole thing i found myself subconsciously asking myself why the three lads weren't on! It's just not the same!

Worth watching ep.2?

Watched the first episode yesterday forgot it was back on, not overly impressed, i mean it was fun..ish, but throughout the whole thing i found myself subconsciously asking myself why the three lads weren't on! It's just not the same!

Worth watching ep.2?

It would appear ep.2 is a bigger improvement but the Evans complaints remain.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Enjoyed episode 2 much more than 1, but I did think episode 1 was OK, two things that need to change/go for me, Chris Evans - he is by far the weakest link in the show, he was massively shown up by Jenson Button in the 675LT, you would have thought Button was the shows host.

Secondly the part where they had all the people talking ****e about cars and then the mini cooper around the track was utterly boring, needs to be cut down to be more focused and much shorter, I will say that I never enjoyed the "guest" segments ever on Top Gear anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

A hot June Sunday evening was never going to help the ratings, they should have waited until the Autumn - they'd have a better show and the viewership would be larger.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Vic_08

For those that are unaware, they have filmed an extra show which was supposed to start after yesterdays TG but was pulled by the BBC. It is showing tonight at 8.30 on RTE 2, presumably they have pre-sold it internationally so will have to make the show even if they no longer want to air it themselves.

Vic_08 wrote: »
    For those that are unaware, they have filmed an extra show which was supposed to start after yesterdays TG but was pulled by the BBC. It is showing tonight at 8.30 on RTE 2, presumably they have pre-sold it internationally so will have to make the show even if they no longer want to air it themselves.

Wonder why it was pulled?

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Rob Thomas

I didn't see all of this weeks episode but from what I saw, it was an improvement on the first one.

I don't like the scenario where another guest says what one is up to and the best first car. It's only the second week and it's already stale and boring.

There is room for improvement in all of the presenters though, you can see it - except Evans. I don't think he will survive the first series and I'd say someone at the BBC is already being scapegoated for making him the main guy. The way he is carrying on is exactly how he has been for years so no one should have expected differently. I expect a parting of the ways.

LeBlanc could be there for years, I think he will really grow into it.

One thing, why was a 3.0 litre plus Jag and Porsche up against a 2.1 litre GLC. Surely the 3.0 GLE was a more suitable rival for those cars?

On the ratings, I think I saw today that they are saying that Soccer Aid on ITV would have affected them, but still it has to be disappointing. Will be interesting to see the player figures after a week, I think that is what they put more emphasis on.

It has along way to go to become something you can't miss though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

I liked the bit where the man drove the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭The Guvnor

I watched a few mins of episode 1 but got bored and flicked.:eek::D

I think it's a hard act to follow Clarkson, Hammond and May.

For me it doesn't flow correctly atm - it seems overly scripted.

There seemed to be more chemistry on the old TG but then I don't know did I ever see episode one with Clarkson et al?

Episode 2 was better but still a bit iffy - it's like they are wheeling(:D) in far too many celebrities far too early on.

I'll give it a look but I can't watch from start to finish - it drags on where as the old never did.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

cml387 wrote: »
    What's this thing about Matt Le Blanc claiming not to understand anything Eddie jordan says?

Bit of casual racism is acceptable with non select minorities, Irish/Scots etc

imagine the **** storm had he said the same about the black rapper he was sat beside

Advertisement