Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2016 brides!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

I'd honestly see if they'd let you change the dress. Whatever about a lock of weeks but you should have a sizeable and very firm bump by that stage, it's not quite the same as being the same size when you are just bigger. The boning in many dresses are intended to hold your shape firmly, and you couldn't have that with a bump that big. Another huge factor to take into account is bump positioning. Your belly could be high or low the day of the wedding and the dress, after being altered, could end up being too short OR too long on the day! I went up two shoe sizes on both pregnancies, so that might end up being a factor as well.
    I know I could never have gotten away with even a 16 week bump in my dress!
    But congrats all the same!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭MIN2511

Happy Sunday folks. I got married last Saturday, the day went better than I expected after all the planning.

I am going to continue to lurk here if that's okay :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭SarahMollie

elephant85 wrote: »
    Hi all,

Looking for some advice. I'm getting married in October and ordered my wedding dress at the end of March.
    Turns out I'm pregnant! Which is fantastic news and we're delighted. I'm an older bride so both made the decision to put our future family ahead of a day out so continued trying. We'd been trying a year.

So my dilemma. I'm only 6 weeks + 5 days today. I'll be 30 weeks pregnant the day we get married! which will mean a sizeable bump and the dress I've ordered fits me perfectly as I am today!

Do I go to the shop and see if they can order it in a few bigger sizes? if I do this, do I go in now, before I reach the 12 week mark, or wait till I reach 12 weeks and am sure that everything is ok..
    Or do I take the hit and lose the deposit and try and find another dress?

Any thoughts would be very welcome!

I'd say contact the shop immeadiately to see if something can be done.

Not sure I'd be too optimisitc, as this happened to a friend of mine about 2 years ago and the bridal shop were not helpful at all.

She'd ordered her dress on Friday, found of she was pregnant over the weekend (it was a BH weekend) and called first thing on Tuesday to cancel and they wouldn't do anything about it, so she basically lost her deposit and bought another dress elsewhere (a sample).

• Registered Users Posts: 48 The_Stranger

Ugh! I've started having crazy dreams/nightmares about the wedding. The latest one being some of the guests turning up wearing their wedding dresses from when they got married and I don't have my dress on. I'm just wearing casual clothes.

Another one is where we turn up to the reception and the building is really run down and basically falling down around us.

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭Shybride2016

Ugh! I've started having crazy dreams/nightmares about the wedding. The latest one being some of the guests turning up wearing their wedding dresses from when they got married and I don't have my dress on. I'm just wearing casual clothes.

Another one is where we turn up to the reception and the building is really run down and basically falling down around us.

Oh god the dreams!! When is your wedding?

My poor mam had mental dreams nearly every night about a month before my wedding. Her brain was on overdrive over it!

I didn't have many mad dreams myself but definitely the week coming up to it I kept imagining the most random of scenarios when I was wide awake 😂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

I dreamt my dress only arrived the morning of the wedding, had to pin it on me cause there was no time for alterations.

And I'd forgotten a bouquet and just picked some awful weeds from the side of the road!

Oh god the dreams!! When is your wedding?

My poor mam had mental dreams nearly every night about a month before my wedding. Her brain was on overdrive over it!

I didn't have many mad dreams myself but definitely the week coming up to it I kept imagining the most random of scenarios when I was wide awake 😂

My wedding is 11 weeks away. I hope I won't be tormented from now till then with the horrible dreams!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Ok, so the dreams have started!! I had a dream that my engagement ring fell off and i couldn't find it!! I had it resized there recently so it fits much better, but it's obviously still playing on my mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭Shybride2016

My wedding is 11 weeks away. I hope I won't be tormented from now till then with the horrible dreams!

Make sure and have some "wedding free" days and chats with your future hubby. We both found it overwhelming at times constantly making decisions and discussing wedding stuff we got no brain break from it so decided to set aside certain evenings to get stuff sorted (Sunday evenings were best for us - sob!) and then the dreams might get less crazy and frequent!

I haven't had any dreams yet funnily enough!
    We have everything done and saved for so we've been organising little days/nights away, excursions with the kids and other things to keep us chilled out and distracted :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭honerbright

Going the diy invite route and have almost finished the design, just the rsvp and info cards to go! Looking in to somewhere to get them printed at the moment, vistaprint is looking like the best option but I'll have to change my main invite slightly cos I have it square. Not too much of a hassle at least!

No wedding dreams in a few days thankfully.
    Met our photographer last week, he's lovely and has a similar style of photography to myself so he should be perfect!

Picked up a few decor bits in penneys recently too, I figure get lots if little bits along the way and we won't notice the cost as much.

Exactly 5 months to go today, eeeeeek!!

Coming closer and closer to the 3 month mark and we have everything saved for :D
    Invitations are coming along nicely, just need to make a final decision on whether or not to include accommodation information. Everyone on my side of the family is local to the venue (for example, I could make it there at a sprint in less than 1 minute from my mother's house) and only my partner's family will be travelling (some from Dublin, mostly from Cavan). A large majority are staying in Cavan and we are arranging a bus to and from so we don't really see the need to give them a list via the invites?

Had my first dress fitting and was just as amazed as the first time around. Have to say I was a bit miffed that my sister (who hadn't seen it by this stage and is chief bridesmaid) didn't seem overly pushed on it :(

Partner has suits sorted now too so all we have left to do is finish the invites, send them off and wait!

Girls what sort of quotes did you get for alterations?

I've just been quoted €1000 to have my dress taken up. Apparently it's very complex. All the beading and lace has to taken off. The beading needs to be put back on by hand and there is loads of it. They said the way it was done was very unusual which is why it will cost so much.

I'm pretty shocked here as I hadn't budgeted anything near that. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭ChampagnePop

I've just been quoted €1000 to have my dress taken up. Apparently it's very complex. All the beading and lace has to taken off. The beading needs to be put back on by hand and there is loads of it. They said the way it was done was very unusual which is why it will cost so much.

:o that's more than my dress budget

I've just been quoted €1000 to have my dress taken up. :eek::eek:

God that's crazy. Think mine is around 200 give or take. I would def get another quote.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I paid €100 to have my dress taken up and bustled. There was lace, and it was a ballgown so there was about 9 layers of materials to be taken up.

Where did you get that quote?

Faith wrote: »
    I paid €100 to have my dress taken up and bustled. There was lace, and it was a ballgown so there was about 9 layers of materials to be taken up.

Where did you get that quote?

I got the quote from an alteration shop recommended by the bridal shop I bought the dress from. Not sure if I'm allowed to name the shop here.

To be fair the girl in the shop was lovely and said she had never given a quote of that size before and offered a small discount. It's purely down to the way the dress was made. The beading should have been attached to the lace only but it's not, it's attached to the skirt of the dress. The only way to take it up is to remove all of the bead work and then put it back on by hand. She said it would take her 3-4 full days of only working on my dress to get it done.

I phoned the bridal shop to tell them and they are sending me to another seamstress they recommend tomorrow. They were also shocked at the quote.

I just don't know what I'm going to do if the next quote comes in at a similar rate.

I got the quote from an alteration shop recommended by the bridal shop I bought the dress from. Not sure if I'm allowed to name the shop here.

To be fair the girl in the shop was lovely and said she had never given a quote of that size before and offered a small discount. It's purely down to the way the dress was made. The beading should have been attached to the lace only but it's not, it's attached to the skirt of the dress. The only way to take it up is to remove all of the bead work and then put it back on by hand. She said it would take her 3-4 full days of only working on my dress to get it done.

I phoned the bridal shop to tell them and they are sending me to another seamstress they recommend tomorrow. They were also shocked at the quote.

I just don't know what I'm going to do if the next quote comes in at a similar rate.

Jeepers! I have beadwork and lace all over my dress and its being taken up by a foot and its costing €135!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

If it was a chain, like the zip yard or similar, then I'd definitely recommend speaking to an independent seamstress, preferably one who's very experienced with bridal gowns. I can give you a recommendation for Cork, if that's any use.

Just back from another seamstress. She is going to alter it for €150. I'm so relieved, I had no sleep last night worrying about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

Just back from another seamstress. She is going to alter it for €150. I'm so relieved, I had no sleep last night worrying about it.

Jesus that was some quote!! Glad you got it sorted. The owner of the shop I bought my dress does the alterations. I was quoted €120.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭shortstuff!

Thats some difference in the alterations quote, the 1st women must be off her rocker!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,091 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

MY DRESS IS IN!!!! :D:D:D:D:D

Dovies wrote: »
    MY DRESS IS IN!!!! :D:D:D:D:D

Ah brill. Don't suppose you are there on Saturday? Im over at 1 with my bridesmaids for their fittings as she's doing my bridesmaid dresses for me.

andreac wrote: »
    Ah brill. Don't suppose you are there on Saturday? Im over at 1 with my bridesmaids for their fittings as she's doing my bridesmaid dresses for me.

No heading over this afternoon to check it out. She said she will pin me in etc 5 weeks before the wedding. Need a couple of pics of the decoration on the neck - to match jewellery with!

Ah no worries. Was just wondering whether we might cross paths or not :-)

Dress is amazing folks - absolutely delighted with it! I look Fabilis!! :D:D
    Ive lost half a stone since ordering it but its down a complete dress size - going to cost me for alterations but WOOHOOOO!

(Trust me its a very rare occasion that I think I look good in anything never mind a dress)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭honerbright

So I went into a print shop today to get a quote to get my invites printed and they quoted me over 300 euro. Eeeeeeek!!!
    The point of designing them myself was to cut down on cost but at that price I may have well not bothered :(
    I've looked at a few places online (Vistaprint etc) but nowhere seems to print square for me or other custom sizes.
    Anyone have any recommendations for cheaper printers in the Cork area or other places to look at online?
    TIA!

So I went into a print shop today to get a quote to get my invites printed and they quoted me over 300 euro. Eeeeeeek!!!
    The point of designing them myself was to cut down on cost but at that price I may have well not bothered :(
    I've looked at a few places online (Vistaprint etc) but nowhere seems to print square for me or other custom sizes.
    Anyone have any recommendations for cheaper printers in the Cork area or other places to look at online?
    TIA!

This might sound a bit ridiculous but would getting Vistaprint to print them on normal sized invites but the image you designed central and square-shaped and just get the edges guillotined off be an option?
    We bought a paper guillotine for €12 to do the invite holders and it takes 10 sheets at a time!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭pampootie

We designed our own and got them printed with reads.ie, I think it was under 50 euro for 100 invites. You can request a brochure and samples on their website. I'd recommend them, we had them the day after we placed the order and the quality was perfect. Might be a bit more costly for a custom size though

Advertisement