Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Radiohead - 'A Moon Shaped Pool'

Options
  • 30-04-2016 4:30pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭

According to one source the album will be out in June, but today the band started sending out postcards teasing it, so it may hit a lot sooner. If not the whole album maybe the single.

Either way, new Radiohead is almost here!

EDIT: some speculation from Stereogum:
    So what does it mean? Well, “Burn The Witch” is the name of an unreleased Radiohead song dating back to at least 2003, and it supposedly contains the lyrics “Sing a song of sixpence that goes/ Burn the witch.” And as some enterprising Redditors have discovered, according to Germanic folklore, Walpurgisnacht — or “Witches’ Night” — falls on either 4/30 (today) or 5/1 (tomorrow), depending on the year. Radiohead recently started two companies, Dawn Chorus LLP and Dawnchoruss LTD, and International Dawn Chorus Day is held on the first Sunday in May, which also happens to be tomorrow, 5/1.

So is LP9 coming out tomorrow? Is it called Burn The Witch? Who knows, but isn’t this exciting!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Anesthetize

Fingers crossed that the new album will be miles better than The King of Limp.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,453 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I'd be happy with some electric guitars. Not holding my breath though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

TKOL gets a bad rap. I always thought of it as a delayed Amnesiac-esque follow-up to IR. Very good but the best stuff made the previous album. I'd rank it higher than HTTT.

I'm excited to get anything new from them, though. I'm pretty sceptical of them putting out another classic album on the lines of OKC, KA or IR at this stage in their careers.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Something is afoot. The official website has gradually faded to complete white and all blog posts have disappeared. And they are in the process of deleting all their tweets.

Pitchfork: Radiohead Erase Internet Presence:
    Radiohead's internet presence is disappearing. As Reddit users noted, their website slowly decreased in opacity until it went entirely blank. It appears that tweets and Facebook posts from their accounts have been steadily disappearing. Update (5/1, 2:00 p.m. ET): There are no longer any tweets or Facebook posts on the band's accounts. Their profile pictures and cover photos have gone completely blank, as well. This comes one day after fans of the band received mysterious flyers with the words "Sing a song of sixpence that goes/Burn the Witch/We know where you live." It's unclear what it is, but something seems to be happening. Update (5/1, 2:28 p.m. ET): Now, it appears Thom Yorke has deleted his tweets. Update (5/1, 3:18 p.m. ET): Their Google+ page has now gone blank.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

I expect a 14 track LP when I awake. Thanks.

• Advertisement

I remember Thom saying he thought HTTT had too many tracks, so it'll probably be 10 at most. TKOL only had 8.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭budgemook

The King of Limbs was way too short and way too crap. Hoping for a return to form this time, and soon!

Excited.

It's coming, I can feel it in me waters.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Vinculus

I'm very excited about this but I have to say King of Limbs was disappointing. Musically it sounded too much like the music Four Tet was making a few years previous and I just couldn't get that out of my head.
    Apart from that I'm ready to spend hours and hours getting lost in the new one.
    Also I can't wait to see the art work and the whole package.
    Bring it on!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

TKOL crap?

I'll have one of whatever you guys are smoking.... :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

I absolutely loved TKOL, smashing album. Seems to get a lot of mixed reviews.

Yknow I got pissed off with it early and cast it aside. Maybe I'll revisit :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,354 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

TKOL might not reach the high standards of OKC, KA and IR but it's a decent album. Probably as consistent as HTTT.

Separator, the last Radiohead album track I've heard for the first time, is as good as any of there songs in my book.

Bring on album number 9.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Anesthetize

Fieldog wrote: »
    TKOL crap?

I'll have one of whatever you guys are smoking.... :)
    I wouldn't say it's crap. Just average and a bit on the boring side. There was much better music released in 2011.

TKOL gets a worse reputation than it deserves imo. Personally I think it's more consistent than Pablo Honey, Amnesiac or HTTT.
    The first half is a bit patchy ("Little By Little" is the worst song on it imo, and "Feral" is one you have to be in the right mood for) but the second half is all gold.

Am excited for the new album. "Spectre" was a bit of a damp squid (so I won't be putting it on a pedal stool) but am still looking forward to it. :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

they really are teasing this one out - I suppose they'll justify it by saying they want to teach the instant gratification easy access era kids a thing or two about how the expectations and wait and longing are an integral part of the process of appreciating art also but just release the effing album!

The wickerman-esque.

Teasing it out? Normally you hear about album release dates, singles and promotions months in advance. Radiohead just started teasing it a couple of days ago and it will probably drop this week!

• Advertisement

budgemook wrote: »
    Teasing it out? Normally you hear about album release dates, singles and promotions months in advance. Radiohead just started teasing it a couple of days ago and it will probably drop this week!

This teasing is uncharacteristic of Radiohead.

Full song/video is up! Burn the witch.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,227 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Best me to it!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,476 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Can I ask you Radiohead fans....

I really enjoyed Pablo Honey when it was released - honest to goodness straight forward rock music with great songs.

The Bends also was very good, but for me a little over produced, not as raw as Pablo Honey. Probably the best songs on it were better than the best songs on Pablo Honey.

Then OK Computer, for me just dull - over hyped, over produced, no really great tracks......emperors new clothes. Too self absorbed.

Since then, I've never really liked any of their stuff. Some good songs, but nothing to draw me back in - I feel they've wasted their career by essentially dis-owning what is the essence of popular music - great, simple songs.

Am I on my own? I know.....wrong thread.....the world wont end.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭UsedToWait

^ You say they've disowned their previous music, but do you expect them to stay the same their whole career?
    That would be like asking the Beatles to rehash Love Me Do every album, instead of writing Revolver or the White Album

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

Tombo2001 wrote: »

I really enjoyed Pablo Honey when it was released - honest to goodness straight forward rock music with great songs.

The Bends also was very good, but for me a little over produced, not as raw as Pablo Honey. Probably the best songs on it were better than the best songs on Pablo Honey.

Then OK Computer, for me just dull - over hyped, over produced, no really great tracks......emperors new clothes. Too self absorbed.

Since then, I've never really liked any of their stuff. Some good songs, but nothing to draw me back in - I feel they've wasted their career by essentially dis-owning what is the essence of popular music - great, simple songs.

The question is why didn't Radiohead dedicate their careers to releasing the same songs over and over again?

Who knows?

Single is on sale from midnight tonight according to Pitchfork. No word of the album.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭orubiru

Tombo2001 wrote: »

I think if they had gone down another path they would have just become another Muse or Coldplay or a band like that. Stale. Boring. Every release would be more of the same, more of the same.

It's better for them, and for music in general, to trust their fanbase and take risks.

The thing about the Pablo Honey -> The Bends -> OK Computer -> Kid A sequence is that you can see the band and the music evolving over time. Hopefully the listener can evolve too and when you get to Kid A you are in a position to "get" it.

Yeah Pablo Honey is raw. Kid A is what Pablo Honey becomes over time.

After Kid A they have gone in a different direction with albums seeming to have very distinctive tones and concepts to work with.

I'm not sure that I agree that they've wasted their career. Many people would consider them to be one of the most important bands of all time.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Greenwood's solo career looks to have a lot of influence in that song.

Advertisement