Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Newborn & Toddlers Off-Topic Chat Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭dori_dormer

Me again thinking of buying a baby carrier/sling any recommendations or ones to stay away from

What age is baby? Do you have any medical issues such as bad back etc?
    I have a Kari Me stretchy wrap for newborns, bit fiddly to get on initially but can be left on all day comfortably and pop baby in and out as needed.
    I then got an ergo 360 soft structured carrier . Found it great and comfortable, but my son out grew it very fast as he was 14kg by 11 months.
    I then got a lillebaby (or 2!) very comfortable with lumbar support. Does back carries and forward carries like the ergo. Except it is bigger so he still fits at over 2 yrs.

This summer im looking to invest in a ring sling for the new baby and a toddler carrier (probably another Lille) for the olde boy.

Stay away from baby bjorn etc most are very uncomfortable!

There are sling meets which are great for trying on loads of different types getting loans to try them out for 2 weeks and there are consultants who will help identify you and your babies needs.
    Tony kealys stock some lillebabys.
    Depending where you are there might be more shops you can try them all on. baba Me just over the border near newry have a large selection. There's snugglebugs in Naas too. Not sure on other parts of the country!

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Woodbrook80

What age is baby? Do you have any medical issues such as bad back etc?
    I have a Kari Me stretchy wrap for newborns, bit fiddly to get on initially but can be left on all day comfortably and pop baby in and out as needed.
    I then got an ergo 360 soft structured carrier . Found it great and comfortable, but my son out grew it very fast as he was 14kg by 11 months.
    I then got a lillebaby (or 2!) very comfortable with lumbar support. Does back carries and forward carries like the ergo. Except it is bigger so he still fits at over 2 yrs.

This summer im looking to invest in a ring sling for the new baby and a toddler carrier (probably another Lille) for the olde boy.

Stay away from baby bjorn etc most are very uncomfortable!

There are sling meets which are great for trying on loads of different types getting loans to try them out for 2 weeks and there are consultants who will help identify you and your babies needs.
    Tony kealys stock some lillebabys.
    Depending where you are there might be more shops you can try them all on. baba Me just over the border near newry have a large selection. There's snugglebugs in Naas too. Not sure on other parts of the country!

Thanks for that only a week old just after a section that's mainly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

There's a brilliant facebook page called Babywearing Ireland, loads of helpful advice there :) I second getting to a sling meet if you can, or if you can't then the sling library rents them out cheaply enough so that you can try them out before buying. Nothing worse than spending a fortune on a sling only to find that it doesn't suit you at all. I have the ergo and find it brilliant but have heard great things about the lillebaby too.

Can anyone recommend a single buggy that works well with a buggy board? My toddler is great for walking and I'd much rather bring him on a buggy board rather than lug the double everywhere. Our single is a baby jogger city mini and the handle isn't adjustable so very awkward with the buggy board. I was thinking of selling it and picking up something that would work better with a buggy board but have no idea what to go for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

Can anyone recommend a single buggy that works well with a buggy board? My toddler is great for walking and I'd much rather bring him on a buggy board rather than lug the double everywhere. Our single is a baby jogger city mini and the handle isn't adjustable so very awkward with the buggy board. I was thinking of selling it and picking up something that would work better with a buggy board but have no idea what to go for.

I feel your pain. Our city mini isn't nice with buggy board either. It's like you have to curve your back and stretch out to push it... Very uncomfortable. I barely use our board because of it...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Julo12

More of an anti recommendation! Our mcclaren is awful with buggy board, really hard to manouver- need a good 3 feet to do a turn! Our bugaboo cameleon has an adjustable handle and it's definitely easier to turn go backwards etc with the board on than the mcclaren but I still find I have to walk beside the board or otherwise I'm hunched over if that makes sense? Tbh I'm not sure any buggy could work really well with one?

Yeah it's definitely the hunching over and having to walk beside the board that I'm trying to avoid. Have a dodgy back so don't need to make it worse than it already is!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 886 ✭✭✭Emmadilema123

I have my buggy board on icandy peach double and it fits well but massive expense if your not going to use the icandy as a double. It is a great single but I could only justify the cost because I used it as both single and double!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Roesy

Wondering is a buggy board compatible with a bugaboo donkey in double form? All going well we should have three under three in a few months and while the two year old is a good walker there are definitely times it would be handy for her. A friend mentioned she has a board she'll be getting rid of in the next couple of months and I was wondering would this be an option.

Roesy wrote: »
    Wondering is a buggy board compatible with a bugaboo donkey in double form? All going well we should have three under three in a few months and while the two year old is a good walker there are definitely times it would be handy for her. A friend mentioned she has a board she'll be getting rid of in the next couple of months and I was wondering would this be an option.

I have no idea but huge congrats! 3 under 3!!!! Your a brave lady lol I just had my 3rd and it's safe to say I now live in a mad house lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,714 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

I have a quinny but not sure of model and it works great with the buggy board. It folds into the basket when not in use and he stands on it but inside the buggies handles so hes less likely to fall off and doesn't get in the way of the handle.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭cant26

I'm wondering if a buggy board will work with a bugaboo cameleon or Joolz day earth? Have a very tall almost three year old who hasn't sat in his buggy in nearly a year!!Due baby later in the summer and think a buggy board would be a great help for walking him home from Montessori and the likes..Anyone have any experience using a board on either of these buggys as they are top of my list.

Ooh the icandy looks fab but so expensive and I couldn't really justify it given that I'll still be using my double buggy a fair bit :( The quinny with the buggy board looks promising, I must have a hunt on adverts and see if there are any going at a good price :)

Ooh the icandy looks fab but so expensive and I couldn't really justify it given that I'll still be using my double buggy a fair bit :( The quinny with the buggy board looks promising, I must have a hunt on adverts and see if there are any going at a good price :)

I have the quinny and it would actually be similar to the Icandy at the back so it could work! I've never tried my buggy board on it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭heldel00

Can anyone recommend a trike for our little man? His granny wants to get one to keep in her house. He is only 6 months old but I know some of them can go from a young enough age and do up until they are a toddler.
    She has a bad back so if it had the long handle attached for steering that would be brilliant.
    (I know aldi have one coming in next week for their baby event but I don't think the handle on the back is for steering.)

Many thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭moving_home

heldel00 wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend a trike for our little man? His granny wants to get one to keep in her house. He is only 6 months old but I know some of them can go from a young enough age and do up until they are a toddler.
    She has a bad back so if it had the long handle attached for steering that would be brilliant.
    (I know aldi have one coming in next week for their baby event but I don't think the handle on the back is for steering.)

Many thanks!

I hear smart trikes are the business but we don't have one. Try adverts.

I bottle feed my baby his 2 weeks at the moment
    I've the prep machine which is great when I'm at home but what do ye do when out and about I know there is pre made cartons that could prove expensive could I do the water bit in the machine and add the formula when I'm out ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

You really need to be adding the formula to hot water - we just used pre made when out and about as saved any worry. They're about a euro per bottle so not too bad

heldel00 wrote: »

Many thanks!

We have the cheapest most basic smart trike model and it does the job fine. I think it cost around €30. I suppose it all depends on how much you will be using it. We don't use ours a whole lot so it doesn't matter that it's not the most comfortable model etc. My little girl loves it though and it has a handle and is easy to steer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭heldel00

We have the cheapest most basic smart trike model and it does the job fine. I think it cost around €30. I suppose it all depends on how much you will be using it. We don't use ours a whole lot so it doesn't matter that it's not the most comfortable model etc. My little girl loves it though and it has a handle and is easy to steer.

Yeah I'm doing a little bit of reading up on the smart trikes and don't want to spend the big money that some of them are.
    We bought a jumperoo, he hates it. We bought a bumbo, he hates it. So want to shop savvy from now on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭fall

I bought my little tike that was worth €100 for. €15 on adverts. It's like new. I was afraid she wouldn't like it so didn't want to spend a fortune.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

We got a trike from heatons. It was €30 in the sale. The brand is Feber. It has buttons on it that plays music. My guy loves the buttons. It is a "maya the bee" one. I didn't know that was a cartoon until recently!

Just make sure you get one with foot rests for your baby ;)

I've the prep machine which is great when I'm at home but what do ye do when out and about I know there is pre made cartons that could prove expensive could I do the water bit in the machine and add the formula when I'm out ?

The formula isn't sterile so it's not recommended that you add it to cooled water. When I had my other 2 it was ok to add formula to cooled boiled water but that's gone now and it's back to the old school hot water only (to be fair it never did them any harm but I suppose you can never be too careful) At the moment if you were to follow current guidelines the only option is the pre made stuff! I have the prep machine as well so have been using pre made formula when out. If your not for long periods maybe leave straight after feed and you might get away with only using 1 or 2 cartons

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

Bottles are ok for 2 hours after being made up so if you're only out for a short period you could bring one with you. Just make sure to keep to the 2 hour rule and don't use it after the 2 hours. Another thing I did a couple of times was get a cafe to fill my bottle with boiling water. Id then wait the 20-30min before adding the formula. Only problem with this method is it can take a while to cool the bottle then.... Unless you have some cold running water available. Otherwise we used the premade cartons if we were out for long periods and couldn't time a feed.

Thanks for the replies

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Lady is a tramp

I used to use a chilled pouch ... so I'd make up the bottles with boiled water at home, cool quickly and put them into the fridge, then put them into the pouch when leaving the house. Only problem with this was that there wasn't always means available to heat them up wherever I was going, fortunately he was happy to take the occasional cold bottle if necessary! It's worth investing in one of the pouches though, I still use it for food etc now that he's a toddler.

Other than that, I used the pre-made cartons - they're great!

Any helpful advice on how to get him to sleep easier ie did swaddling work if so what swaddled worked or didn't I know there is gro bags think his too small yet
    Also I know every body says to sleep on back think his.more comfortable on his stomach and side

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

I know the Gro company sleep bags are OK from 8lb. You should definitely only put him to sleep on his back, it's much much safer. When our daughter was tiny we got a Slumber Bear who plays white noise. The noise box comes out and can attach to the cot which we did for the first few months, seemed to help her.

Mothercare do sleeping bags that can be used from 7lbs. Also, we found the clevamama sleep positioner good for our first baby. Second baby didn't care too much for it, she preferred swaddling. They're all so different! For both babies, I found a white noise app worked wonders. I would literally have it running all night on my tablet and it was great for settling them :)

• Advertisement

Any helpful advice on how to get him to sleep easier ie did swaddling work if so what swaddled worked or didn't I know there is gro bags think his too small yet
    Also I know every body says to sleep on back think his.more comfortable on his stomach and side

Best thing for all mine was bath before bed. I do swaddle as well as a hat. Mine all loved a cotton hat for sleep time! You can buy swaddle pods. I have one but I never use it tbh

Advertisement