Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Newborn & Toddlers Off-Topic Chat Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭Cunning Stunt

Why is it that my child behaves for his childminder but not for me? He just threw the mother of all wobblies when I collected him, throwing himself on the ground in her driveway, refusing to get up, screaming and screaming.
    I reasoned, warned, begged, bribed - nothing worked, then the childminder comes out, and she gets him to get up in 10 seconds! I feel like a failure!
    Then he refused to walk holding onto little sisters pram - he wanted to run away all the time. She gives me a strap that she uses around his waist so he cant run from beside the pram (in fairness she walks with a few toddlers). Works like a dream for her, but 5 meters from her house I get another tantrum and he wants the strap off. Ended up having to wait there until he felt like walking with me on his terms, without the strap thingie, so had to go after him a few times when he bolted. My heart was in my mouth. Puts me off walking with him

Sorry, had to rant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

Has anyone else taken their little ones to rugbytots? Is it any good? My OH is mad to take our little fella but our local class is €11 for 40 minutes so fairly steep, not including the initial €25 for registration. Is it worth it?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

Has anyone else taken their little ones to rugbytots? Is it any good? My OH is mad to take our little fella but our local class is €11 for 40 minutes so fairly steep, not including the initial €25 for registration. Is it worth it?

I don't know about RugbyTots but we use Little Kickers (Soccer) which expensive enough but it is great and he loves it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

We also go to little kickers. Around same price. T loves it. I assume rugby tots would be similar. L is 2 tomorrow so will be signing her up from next week on aswell.

Awh happy birthday to L Sligo :D Ya rugbytots is the same kinda thing as little kickers. It's my OH who's mad to take him, tbh, for the price of it I would rather just take both kids to soft play for 2 hours. I'd say my little fella would love it though :)

• Advertisement

Awh happy birthday to L Sligo :D Ya rugbytots is the same kinda thing as little kickers. It's my OH who's mad to take him, tbh, for the price of it I would rather just take both kids to soft play for 2 hours. I'd say my little fella would love it though :)

Thanks Rayan Low Lambskin :)... I actually can't believe she's 2 (going on 10) already! You're guy will love it tho. He might not join in the first time but he will love it when he gets used to it. T was a bit mad the first time he went and wouldn't really listen. But he's great at it now!

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Makapakka

Does anyone know of anything going on for Easter around north Dublin that would be suitable for 2.5 year old? :D thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Julo12

Makapakka wrote: »
    Does anyone know of anything going on for Easter around north Dublin that would be suitable for 2.5 year old? :D thanks

Farmleigh have lots on. Hoping weather will be better tomorrow and we can head out. http://www.farmleigh.ie/media/easter-monday-2016-farmleigh.pdf

Think Newbridge farm have stuff on too tho you have to pay in.
    Clarehall had an egg hunt on yesterday which I didn't know about so might be worth checking other shopping centres today for activities - pavillions are usually good for having face painting or other small things on. Blanch probably have something too?

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Makapakka

My friend is 14 weeks pregnant and we're due to meet for coffee this evening. However I'm having dinner in my sisters who's daughter is at the end of chicken pox.. Is it unsafe for me to meet my friend then? Don't want to risk anything as she's had a few miscarriages X

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Lady is a tramp

Makapakka wrote: »
    My friend is 14 weeks pregnant and we're due to meet for coffee this evening. However I'm having dinner in my sisters who's daughter is at the end of chicken pox.. Is it unsafe for me to meet my friend then? Don't want to risk anything as she's had a few miscarriages X

It should be completely safe - however if I were you, I'd text your friend now and let her know the situation, so she can make her own mind up. Chicken pox is generally only considered contagious before the spots have dried up, you never know though, she might be being extra-cautious and want to avoid the risk (however minuscule), so better to let her know now!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

Ring your friend and ask her. If she's had chicken pox then she should be immune. But I'd leave it up to her to decide if she wants to risk it or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 886 ✭✭✭Emmadilema123

Hi guys haven't been in here in a while! Last few weeks have been an absolute blur.

My baby was classified iugr and I was induced 2 weeks ago at 37 weeks! Baby spent a few days in icu and then we were discharged! She was only 4lbs coming home but she is absolutely flying!

Hope everybody is doing well!

Hi guys haven't been in here in a while! Last few weeks have been an absolute blur.

My baby was classified iugr and I was induced 2 weeks ago at 37 weeks! Baby spent a few days in icu and then we were discharged! She was only 4lbs coming home but she is absolutely flying!

Hope everybody is doing well!

Congratulations Emma! Delighted for ye :)

Sligo1 wrote: »
    Congratulations Emma! Delighted for ye :)

Thanks a million! I can't believe It's already 2 weeks since it happened yet it feels like she has always been here at the same time! Currently on cloud 9 but sure all you mamas know this feeling well!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

Many congrats Emma!

nikpmup wrote: »
    Many congrats Emma!

Thanks a million! I'm done now for sure though lol 3 is plenty! Keeping me nice and busy here!

My little fella went into his toddler bed for the first time last night. We were fully anticipating a disturbed night of putting him back in a zillion times but he went down at bedtime and didn't move an inch all night :D He's been awake for the last hour chatting away to himself but still no sign of him breaking free. I don't think he understands this whole bed thing yet :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭tickingclock

My daughter wasn't settling in her cot so at 22 months I moved her to a double bed. Best thing I ever did, she spent weeks trying to climb out of the cot but hasn't once left the bed!!

I think I'm losing my mind! Baby isn't allowed to leave the house until she is a bit bigger which means I haven't been able to either! Have gone to the park beside our house a few times with my other two but that's it. might brave leaving daddy in charge this evening and go out for a spin :-P

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Ms. Chanandler Bong

I think I'm losing my mind! Baby isn't allowed to leave the house until she is a bit bigger which means I haven't been able to either! Have gone to the park beside our house a few times with my other two but that's it. might brave leaving daddy in charge this evening and go out for a spin :-P

I know the feeling!!! I've got cabin fever due to a combination of having a section, living in the country & not being able to drive lol I hate relying on someone else to take me to shops for food, doctor's for appointments, etc., even if it's himself doing the driving. Too used to my independence! :D

• Advertisement

I know the feeling!!! I've got cabin fever due to a combination of having a section, living in the country & not being able to drive lol I hate relying on someone else to take me to shops for food, doctor's for appointments, etc., even if it's himself doing the driving. Too used to my independence! :D

I just went out in the car for the first time in 3 weeks! I was a bit nervous at first but then the radio went right up and I felt freeeeee! Lol I feel like a proper human again :-P

That sounds desperate! If I had a section I would absolutely crack up!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

Oh I hated asking people to bring me places when I had my section! Thankfully got the OK to drive after 4 weeks, even that was long enough

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭Cunning Stunt

About the section/ restriction on driving thing - do they actually tell you that in the hospital in Ireland?
    I am in Denmark and have had 2 sections and was never told not to drive - I actually brought up the subject to the doctor second time round because I had read about it here on boards, and she said there was no restriction on driving that she was aware of... So I've been driving away after each section as soon as I had a need to.

About the section/ restriction on driving thing - do they actually tell you that in the hospital in Ireland?
    I am in Denmark and have had 2 sections and was never told not to drive - I actually brought up the subject to the doctor second time round because I had read about it here on boards, and she said there was no restriction on driving that she was aware of... So I've been driving away after each section as soon as I had a need to.

Yes women aren't allowed to drive here for 6 weeks I think! Someone correct me if I'm wrong lol

• Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭Ms2011

I was never told directly not to drive for 6 weeks after my section but it was certainly something I'd heard on the grapevine. That said I drove as soon as I needed to aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Drdoc

I can't remember what I was told in the hospital but rang the insurance company (RSA) and they told me I wasn't insured to drive for 6 weeks unless I submitted a letter to them from my doctor saying I was fit to drive sooner. Having said that I think some insurance companies aren't so strict. Definitely worth checking though as you don't want to be driving around with no insurance!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

It's standard enough, as far as I know not to be insured to drive for 6 weeks after any surgery, unless signed off by a doctor before that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

Similarly doctor didn't tell me not to but insurance company told me not insured if something happened without doctors letter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭moving_home

My insurance company didn't need a letter. They said if doctor said I was fit to go for it. I drove after 4 weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 24,367 ✭✭✭✭ChewChew

I had a section last May, asked the doctor because this is what I was always led to believe. Anyways, doctor told me they don't see any problem after a week but that it's the insurance that impose the 'ban' so I rang my instance and they didn't see an issue and didn't need a letter from the doctor so I asked them to put that in writing for me.

Advertisement