Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Newborn & Toddlers Off-Topic Chat Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭kandr10

Suucee wrote: »
    Ah blast from the past. I accidentally clicked on the boards app on my phone so decided to pop in here for a look. I havent been on in months now. Just doing a quick catch up and read the past few pages but im miles behind. Hope everyone is keeping well

Re potty training we used a potty but transitioned to toilet easily as id been putting her on the toilet every night before her bath for months before hand. Main reason for using a potty was so i wouldnt have to run upstairs really quickly. She potty trained in 3 days at 2 and 3mnths.

My son will be 2 this month but i wouldnt dream of it any time soon. I do sit him on the toilet some evenings when he co operates.

Nice to see alot of the names pottering around here still. .

My two are now nearly 2 and nearly 4. Ive had such a mad few months. I havent been well and L (2yr old) can be a bit of a handful. He had grommets inserted in jan and wil be starting early intervention soon as failed alot of developmental checks. Im hoping it was down to his ears but theres times when i feel there is more behind it. Were still not getting much sleep either which is very hard especially with my medical condition and a sensitive little 4yr old too. The poor divil has been through the mill herself and has such a huge understanding of things for the age of her. Thankfully she is in pre school 3 mornings a week and im going to look at a creche for L during the week to possibly send him 2 mornings.

Anyway hope everyone else is doing well. Going to have to pop in here more often. Ive actually missed it.

Oh and happy mothers day.

My lil man was a march 2014 baby (as a few others here were) and finally greeted us on mothers day 2014 so a little special.

Snap! I downloaded the app months ago, found it to be rubbish, forgot my password and only now remembered!

As for toilet training, my little one calls everything from down there 'a wee wee in nappy' no matter what it is so I assumed she wasn't ready. She gets that adults use the toilet but never showed any other interest. Is there any harm waiting til the summer til she's 2 and 7/8 months (I'll have summer holidays so minder won't have to deal with it)?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 886 ✭✭✭Emmadilema123

kandr10 wrote: »
    Snap! I downloaded the app months ago, found it to be rubbish, forgot my password and only now remembered!

As for toilet training, my little one calls everything from down there 'a wee wee in nappy' no matter what it is so I assumed she wasn't ready. She gets that adults use the toilet but never showed any other interest. Is there any harm waiting til the summer til she's 2 and 7/8 months (I'll have summer holidays so minder won't have to deal with it)?

My little one is 2 and 10 months and we have only just done it lol no harm waiting if they aren't ready! Mine was very clearly ready because we left her little Minnie Mouse toilet in the sitting room and she just decided to do it herself lol I literally haven't had to do a thing!

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Makapakka

My little lady had a viral rash last week and was super itchy with it. It had gone down by Friday but Saturday nights she got a temperature. Sunday and Monday she was very tired, just wanted cuddles though she would have spurts of energy.. Today she seemed much better but fever is back now.. Brought her to the doc yesterday and he said it was just a runny nose and cough.. She's never had a fever with a cold so just wondering how long it usually lasts? Should I go get a second opinion?

Makapakka wrote: »
    My little lady had a viral rash last week and was super itchy with it. It had gone down by Friday but Saturday nights she got a temperature. Sunday and Monday she was very tired, just wanted cuddles though she would have spurts of energy.. Today she seemed much better but fever is back now.. Brought her to the doc yesterday and he said it was just a runny nose and cough.. She's never had a fever with a cold so just wondering how long it usually lasts? Should I go get a second opinion?

My daughter never has fever when she is sick but she had a cold last week and had high temp and was shivering in her sleep! Full of snot this week but mood and energy is improved! I think there is a bad dose doing the rounds!

Still has a fever on and off and is exhausted, she went to bed at 7 last night, woke at 7.30 this morning and is asleep again.. I recently cut out her naps so I don't know if that's the main reason for her exhaustion. I cut them out because she wasn't napping until 3 and then wouldn't sleep at night. I've been letting her nap if she needs it (from being sick) but just wondering how long it took other kids to adjust to havin no naps? She will go to sleep pretty much straight away, sleep until 12 when she wakes to come in to me. Then will go straight back asleep. Don't know if that's a factor aswell., she's never this sick normally so can't help but worry :/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

If she's fighting off a cold or other infection that could be why she's exhausted - same way adults need more sleep when sick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

What does everyone else class as a high temperature/fever? My lads normal temp is usually around 36.6. I would think of anything between 37.1-37.5 as a mild temperature and wouldn't worry, but would give calpol if the child is uncomfortable or complaining. I think of anything over 37.5 to be a fever but still don't worry too much about it unless it goes over 38.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭Ms2011

My son had a fever of 38.5 for 3 days last month & was admitted to hospital for IV fluids & to monitor the fever.
    I would start to become concerned at 38+, especially if it's not coming down with Calpol/Nueofen or if it lasted more than 2 days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

My pediatrician told me only to give paracetamol when the temp is over 38.

It hasn't gone past 38 but she doesn't get them much at all,. I'll bring her to the doctor on Monday if it's still there..

• Advertisement

My pediatrician told me only to give paracetamol when the temp is over 38.

If the temperature itself was the only symptom I wouldn't give the calpol (so only if the child is in pain etc). My OH is a terror though, any sign of the temperasure creeping past 37 and he gets in a tizzy and wants to give the medicine 'just in case' :eek:. I hate giving it unless necessary. Had my little boy at the doctor recently and his temperature was 38 and the doctor gave out to me and told me I should have been giving him the paracetamol once the temperature hit 37.5 so that's why I'm confused :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭tickingclock

This sums up everything I've experienced since becoming a mother. One expert tells you one thing and another expert conflicts that information completely and confuses me! I found it the worst thing with a new born when I was attempting to breastfeed.

If the temperature itself was the only symptom I wouldn't give the calpol (so only if the child is in pain etc). My OH is a terror though, any sign of the temperasure creeping past 37 and he gets in a tizzy and wants to give the medicine 'just in case' :eek:. I hate giving it unless necessary. Had my little boy at the doctor recently and his temperature was 38 and the doctor gave out to me and told me I should have been giving him the paracetamol once the temperature hit 37.5 so that's why I'm confused :confused:

Once a temp creeps higher than 38 you run the risk of infantile convulsions so that's why it's important to treat the temperature even if it's the only symptom once it starts getting too high!

My SIL had an experience with this and it was pretty terrifying!

http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/Febrile-convulsions/Pages/Introduction.aspx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭moving_home

As far as I know febrile seizures are to do with how quickly the temperature rises not necessarily how high. My LO gets temperatures regularly. I only medicate when its over 38.5 or depending on form.

As far as I know febrile seizures are to do with how quickly the temperature rises not necessarily how high. My LO gets temperatures regularly. I only medicate when its over 38.5 or depending on form.

They can shoot quiet quickly once they get to that level so that's why it's best to catch it before that point! So I'm told anyway! My son went from 37 to 40 in a matter of minutes and ended up in temple street because we wouldn't get it back down quick enough. There was a gentle talking to!

Now we always have paralink suppositories in the house because he has a tendency to spike with no symptoms of illness and it's the quickest way to bring it down!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

We regularly get to over 40 degrees with temps here. We don't medicate anything under 38.5 (on advice of UHL and Crumlin) unless she's otherwise unwell. Febrile seizures can happen with a very fast rising temp or a fast dropping temp. We were also told anything under 38 not to worry about at all its not relevant (exact words used!!). The highest I've had to deal with is 41.7.... No fun!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭moving_home

cyning wrote: »
    We regularly get to over 40 degrees with temps here. We don't medicate anything under 38.5 (on advice of UHL and Crumlin) unless she's otherwise unwell. Febrile seizures can happen with a very fast rising temp or a fast dropping temp. We were also told anything under 38 not to worry about at all its not relevant (exact words used!!). The highest I've had to deal with is 41.7.... No fun!
    Exact same here on temperatures! Gosh 41.7 I'd have lost my mind!! I'm terrified of high temperatures.
    Emma my daughter is exactly the same as your son. She gets temperatures but doesn't seem otherwise unwell.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

Exact same here on temperatures! Gosh 41.7 I'd have lost my mind!! I'm terrified of high temperatures.
    Emma my daughter is exactly the same as your son. She gets temperatures but doesn't seem otherwise unwell.

We had 6 months straight of constant temperatures where she only went a max of 3 days without a temp.

She obviously doesn't get febrile seizures but we do get rigors so she will start to shake and shiver and get jerky movements at those sort of temps. And vomiting. Thankfully these days we rarely go past 40.5 :)

It's so funny because my daughter is the complete opposite! She will be horrendously unwell before her temp even rises to 38. Just further proof that every child is different!

I would be the same as my daughter. I would rarely get a temp even if I'm pretty sick. My clue is always my glands. When I'm fighting something nasty they get so big I struggle to turn my head.

It's so funny because my daughter is the complete opposite! She will be horrendously unwell before her temp even rises to 38. Just further proof that every child is different!

My little boy gets delirious as soon as he gets past 37.5, ranting and raving and giggling psychotically and staring off into space :eek: Mad how different every child can be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Guys any idea on where to get boys canvas doodle t bar shoes (not the Velcro) in an 8g?
    All the clarks in dublin seem to only go to a 7.5 :( even another brand would do the job. Kildare outlet has them but would like to avoid driving to kildare if at all possible :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

Millem wrote: »
    Guys any idea on where to get boys canvas doodle t bar shoes (not the Velcro) in an 8g?
    All the clarks in dublin seem to only go to a 7.5 :( even another brand would do the job. Kildare outlet has them but would like to avoid driving to kildare if at all possible :(

Amazon have some. They might be dearer than Kildare village, when you factor in sterling exchange/p&p, but it will save you a journey, and probably not too much in the difference when you factor in diesel/petrol, and the inconvenience of having to drive to Kildare!

jlm29 wrote: »
    Amazon have some. They might be dearer than Kildare village, when you factor in sterling exchange/p&p, but it will save you a journey, and probably not too much in the difference when you factor in diesel/petrol, and the inconvenience of having to drive to Kildare!

Couldn't find any in his size on Amazon :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

Couldn't find any in his size on Amazon :(

Sorry, I could have sworn I saw the right size, It must be the sleep deprivation!!! It's probably a bit early for summer stock, they might have them in before long!

jlm29 wrote: »
    Sorry, I could have sworn I saw the right size, It must be the sleep deprivation!!! It's probably a bit early for summer stock, they might have them in before long!

I had a disaster yesterday with them, got him measured in one clarks, and bought them. They told me he was 7.5. His main shoes are a ricosta 25. I thought 7.5 seemed small and asked twice! I am no shoe expert so took their word. I didn't like the design, they looked very girly but he needs them Asap so bought them.
    Anyway I was passing another clarks a few mins later and saw another design which was much more boyish. He tried them on and the staff said he is an 8 :eek: and the 7.5 was far too small :mad: anyway they refunded me and wanted to know who served me in other clarks and apologised :rolleyes:

So now I have no doodles and will have to wait 5 days for money to go back into my account :(

I had a disaster yesterday with them, got him measured in one clarks, and bought them. They told me he was 7.5. His main shoes are a ricosta 25. I thought 7.5 seemed small and asked twice! I am no shoe expert so took their word. I didn't like the design, they looked very girly but he needs them Asap so bought them.
    Anyway I was passing another clarks a few mins later and saw another design which was much more boyish. He tried them on and the staff said he is an 8 :eek: and the 7.5 was far too small :mad: anyway they refunded me and wanted to know who served me in other clarks and apologised :rolleyes:

So now I have no doodles and will have to wait 5 days for money to go back into my account :(

I always have awful trouble getting doodles for both of mine so I have started getting next canvas! Always seem to be able to get something suitable in there and have a bit more choice!

I always have awful trouble getting doodles for both of mine so I have started getting next canvas! Always seem to be able to get something suitable in there and have a bit more choice!

Emma are they wide? My guy has really wide feet!!! I am looking at eBay.co.uk at the mo. They have loads of shoe shops selling on it.

Emma are they wide? My guy has really wide feet!!! I am looking at eBay.co.uk at the mo. They have loads of shoe shops selling on it.

They have a really good range! Some are narrow but some are really wide! My son has a wide foot and I never have any trouble getting his shoes in there! Had thought I would get his school shoes in Clarkes and ended up getting them in next as well! Lovely black leather ones. My daughter has the skinniest feet ever and never have an issue getting something in next for her either!

Haven't been to Clarke's in a long time to be honest because everytime I went in I ended up leaving with shoes I didn't like just because they fit.

They have a really good range! Some are narrow but some are really wide! My son has a wide foot and I never have any trouble getting his shoes in there! Had thought I would get his school shoes in Clarkes and ended up getting them in next as well! Lovely black leather ones. My daughter has the skinniest feet ever and never have an issue getting something in next for her either!

Haven't been to Clarke's in a long time to be honest because everytime I went in I ended up leaving with shoes I didn't like just because they fit.

Cool I will check it out :)
    I never ever buy his main shoes in clarks. He had to wear slippers/doodles during the day and clarks seem to be the only place that sell them :(

I have started going to Sharon Sheersan for his shoes in goatstown. She is fantastic. Previously I was driving to Drogheda to victor dwyers who are equally as good ;)

• Advertisement

Cool I will check it out :)
    I never ever buy his main shoes in clarks. He had to wear slippers/doodles during the day and clarks seem to be the only place that sell them :(

I have started going to Sharon Sheehan for his shoes in goatstown. She is fantastic. Previously I was driving to Drogheda to victor dwyers who are equally as good ;)

Ooh I'll have to have a look! My mam was having palpitations when I stopped buying the kids shoes in clarkes lol the holy grail of shoes don't you know....

Advertisement