Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baby screaming in restaurant

Options

Comments

MadDog76 wrote: »
    Dogs bark, babies cry, ducks quack, taxi drivers moan etc. ......... if you want to enjoy your meal in a peaceful controlled environment then stay at home where you get to make the rules.

What are the rules?

I want to see them written down. I haven't seen them. And I certainly didn't know that one of them was that you have to tolerate it when a parent makes his child scream in a restaurant. It makes me kinda think that your point may be patent nonsense. But if it's a rule, then I certainly will consider it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

What are the rules?

I want to see them written down. I haven't seen them. And I certainly didn't know that one of them was that you have to tolerate it when a parent makes his child scream in a restaurant. It makes me kinda think that your point may be patent nonsense. But if it's a rule, then I certainly will consider it.

His point is that there are no rules, so how would he show them to you?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,170 ✭✭✭Wompa1

What are the rules?

The rules are usually set by the establishment in question. Do they allow children? Do they allow dogs? etc. etc.

If they do allow them and you don't want to risk a dog barking or a child screeching, find somewhere else. No big deal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭c68zapdsm5i1ru

Whispered wrote: »
    We had lunch out with our 16 month old today. I smiled a bit thinking about this thread when a woman sitting at an opposite table started a game of peekaboo with him behind her menu. He was giving proper little belly laughs at her and she came up to say hi before she left. They made each other smile :)

Little belly laughs and high pitched screeching are two very different sounds. I will often smile and chat a bit to a baby in a restaurant who's obviously dying to engage. I will also sigh to myself when a child is screaming and parents are doing nothing about it. This attitude that some people love children and some people can't stand them and there's no middle ground is very annoying and seems to be used by some parents as an excuse to dismiss any complaints.

Wompa1 wrote: »
    The rules are usually set by the establishment in question. Do they allow children? Do they allow dogs? etc. etc.

If they do allow them and you don't want to risk a dog barking or a child screeching, find somewhere else. No big deal.

Allowing children doesn't mean that parents don't have to show any consideration for fellow diners

• Advertisement

Wompa1 wrote: »

I would have thought common sense would suggest that just because children, or indeed dogs, are allowed in, means that no one can object to anything they do. Or in this case, anything they are provoked to do.

I live in a tourist trap with lots of restaurants. Can't say I've ever known this rule.

A friend of mine who works in the restaurant business told me that restaurants are becoming increasingly wary of using the term child friendly. It was originally used to convey that children's menus, baby changing facilities, high chairs etc were available but some parents, and we have seen evidence of this on this thread, interpret it to mean that children take precedence and can scream, roar, run around and bang things on the table and no one can object because it's 'child friendly'.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Little belly laughs and high pitched screeching are two very different sounds. I will often smile and chat a bit to a baby in a restaurant who's obviously dying to engage. I will also sigh to myself when a child is screaming and parents are doing nothing about it. This attitude that some people love children and some people can't stand them and there's no middle ground is very annoying and seems to be used by some parents as an excuse to dismiss any complaints.

Actually my point was, the fact a stranger initiated a game of peekaboo in a restaurant was ironic considering I had been in the middle of reading this thread before going out, and made me smile. But hey, don't let that stop you putting words in my mouth and calling then them annoying. :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭HensVassal

Comparing a dog to a baby?

Also what expense exactly? If it offends your ears so much you don't have to be there.

I've had the misfortune of listening to obnoxious idiots sh1te on in restaurants or laugh like morons but I don't go complaining to management.

Who's comparing a dog to a baby? When did she do that? Or is that your way of just shutting down someone.

Someone could be in the restaurant farting constantly and stinking up the place. What he's doing is not illegal but I would still have a problem with it. Are you going to flippantly say "you don't have to be there"?

I await you accusing me now of comparing a baby to a flatulent scumbag.

Actually my point was, the fact a stranger initiated a game of peekaboo in a restaurant was ironic considering I had been in the middle of reading this thread before going out, and made me smile. But hey, don't let that stop you putting words in my mouth and calling then them annoying. :rolleyes:

Sorry shouldn't have directed that remark at you. It was really a comment on other posts on here.

Apologies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Sorry shouldn't have directed that remark at you. It was really a comment on other posts on here.

Apologies.

In fairness, even I understood your point wasn't directed directly at Whispered, but it was meant to point out the difference between a low volume belly laugh and high volume ear piercing screeching, for ten minutes! They're not the bloody same thing.

Being irritated by screeching doesn't mean anyone hates babies. They just hate the noise, and I can't say I blame them. I hate it too! If I'm expecting a comfortable ambience in a restaurant, I don't expect that to be disturbed by adults who can't control themselves long enough to understand that they're not at home now.

screamer wrote: »
    Yes so long as you can find the volume switch on my baby same as your iPad.. ...

Seriously the last few posts just prove what I said the attitude towards babies children and families in restaurants in Ireland stinks.

You sound very self entitled. You want others to go elsewhere if they don't want to hear a screaming baby. Why don't YOU go elsewhere with the screaming baby (like home)? The majority must be inconvenienced because the minority (you) think it's your right?

screamer wrote: »
    Exactly so evict the family with a happy baby evict the family with a crying baby...... so others can have a peaceful meal and the family can go hungry..... nice people really nice.

Oh for fuck's sake stop exaggerating and being melodramatic. "Evict"?? Are you trying to sensationalise the whole thing? Nobody advocated "evicting" anyone and what are you on about "family going hungry"

Christ, you should write for the Sun.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

HensVassal wrote:
    You sound very self entitled. You want others to go elsewhere if they don't want to hear a screaming baby. Why don't YOU go elsewhere with the screaming baby (like home)? The majority must be inconvenienced because the minority (you) think it's your right?

Tut tut. How dare you criticise the "New Dads" who carry their infants in backpacks (including on their bicycles), talk to them as adults and need to demonstrate their enhanced parenting skills at every public opportunity.

In fairness, even I understood your point wasn't directed directly at Whispered, but it was meant to point out the difference between a low volume belly laugh and high volume ear piercing screeching, for ten minutes! They're not the bloody same thing.

Being irritated by screeching doesn't mean anyone hates babies. They just hate the noise, and I can't say I blame them. I hate it too! If I'm expecting a comfortable ambience in a restaurant, I don't expect that to be disturbed by adults who can't control themselves long enough to understand that they're not at home now.

She quoted me then said something along the lines of "this attitude of...", it's reasonable to assume she was referring to the post she had quoted. But no big deal, I clarified and she clarified.

Now you seem to be saying I suggested that laughing and screeching are the same thing. Are you? If so, I did not say anything along the lines of it being the same thing. As I said (third time now) my point was that I found it amusing considering I had been reading this thread. It wasn't a comment on the OP at all in fact. It was supposed to be a silly little anecdote about how I was thinking of this thread. Still some negativity has been read into it.

She quoted me then said something along the lines of "this attitude of...", it's reasonable to assume she was referring to the post she had quoted. But no big deal, I clarified and she clarified.

Now you seem to be saying I suggested that laughing and screeching are the same thing. Are you? If so, I did not say anything along the lines of it being the same thing. As I said (third time now) my point was that I found it amusing considering I had been reading this thread. It wasn't a comment on the OP at all in fact. It was supposed to be a silly little anecdote about how I was thinking of this thread. Still some negativity has been read into it.

No, I'm not suggesting you said anything like that. I got your anecdote, I got BellaBella's point. What I find strange myself are the number of people who will purposely take someone up wrong, and we're all supposed to be the adults here! :confused:

No, I'm not suggesting you said anything like that. I got your anecdote, I got BellaBella's point. What I find strange myself are the number of people who will purposely take someone up wrong, and we're all supposed to be the adults here! :confused:

Exactly!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

Am I right in thinking that the actual establishment still hasn't been clarified?

I ask because the "discussion" has brought in multiple factors, many of which could be eliminated with context.

Though, of course After Hours is no place for context; everybody should stay in their hermetically sealed bubble vs it's my right to wear speedos and flip flops to Guilbauds

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    Who is defending badly behaved children? Many parents on here have said they would take the child outside if they were crying or screaming.

You don't want to see or hear children at all. That's an unrealistic expectation if you want to live in society.

I have to laugh at people who get worked up about such things. I mean really, life's too short.

Well you could apply that dismissal to just about anything couldn't you. Life's too short for me to get pissed off over, say, being charged for something I didn't buy in a shop....but you know what, I'm not going to let it go.

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    In Spain, it's normal for kids to be up until 10/11pm during the week and later at weekends. They wouldn't sit down to dinner until at least 8. And yes, the parents might be having wine with dinner or as I mentioned above, drinking beer in the playground until late. Outrageous!

I can imagine the reaction if you were reading about a child who was abducted from such a setting:

"What kind of parent would have their kid out that late??? Those parents should be shot and/or have their kids taken into protective custody!!"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,305 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

I was in a restaurant at lunchtime yesterday with a couple of friends. A couple sitting near us had a small child in a high chair. The dad was playing a game where he hid behind a napkin and then peeped out and the baby would start shrieking with delight. This went on for about ten minutes and the screams were getting really ear piercing. Eventually a woman at a nearby table went over and said something and the father stopped but didn't look too happy about it.

One of my friends thought the woman was out of order but myself and other friend were grateful to her. Just wondering who you think was in the right? Would never have asked the dad to stop myself but the noise was really starting to get on my nerves.

so a father was having a nice time entertaining his child and the child was enjoying it..

and someone came over to complain?

good grief

go somewhere else if happy children bother you

looksee wrote: »
    I think you should be able to expect to have a reasonable conversation in a restaurant. Since the father was deliberately encouraging the child to scream he was out of order.

Yesterday I was in the 'extra seating' area of a cafe and one person close to us was having a long conversation with someone on a smart phone. In order that she could look at the link image of the other person she had the conversation on speaker. It was in, maybe, Polish, so we could ignore the content of the conversation, still the jabber was more penetrating than an ordinary conversation. At the same time a woman at another table was having a conversation, also in another language, she was talking very loud, very fast and very constantly (no one else got a word in :D) and it was a bit mesmerising. Not the best environment to try and have a normal conversation!

have you just put an obnoxious grown up who should know better in the same category as a child enjoying a little game with their parent?

Nothing at all wrong with a happy baby, but 10 minutes of screaming is not cute. You cannot expect strangers to be as entralled with your child and it's crying or screaming as you are

what screaming?

lawred2 wrote: »

Yes.

I mean, if one politely objects to 10 minutes of ear piercing screams from a child, obviously they hate happy children.

Hahaha it's parents like this that for years made me not want kids. Then I realised you can actually be a parent without the horrible attitude of "my kid can do what they like and if you don't like it then tough".

If YOUR child is causing a scene, then it's YOUR responsibility to deal with it. Sitting there oblivious to YOUR child screaming and roaring makes YOU a knob. Not everyone else. You seriously expect people who've paid for lunch to get up and leave if they're not mesmerised by your kids tantrums?
    Get a grip

Kids cry, big deal. If a child is constantly crying, and won't stop then it's on you to get up and deal with it like a responsible adult and not put your kids behaviour on everyone else. Being a parent is a responsibility. If your child is very upset, take the child outside. If the child is running around and liable to cause an accident, bring a colouring book and make them sit down. If they're not able to sit down and behave themselves, bring them somewhere that they can run around.

It seems to be some parents attitude that they can bring their child wherever they like, their child can behave whatever way they like, it doesn't matter if everyone else's lunch is ruined, as long as you enjoy yours. Great attitude to have, well done.

Is the OP not about a happy child making some shrieking noises?

Where was the constantly crying bit?

so a father was having a nice time entertaining his child and the child was enjoying it..

and someone came over to complain?

good grief

The father was entertaining his child at the expense of everyone else's comfort. What exactly is so hard to grasp about that? If people want to entertain their children in any setting, whether it be a greasy spoon, McDonalds or Marco Pierres, then at least be considerate of other people while doing so!

That's really, really not a lot to ask, and most people in society are able to do that, so other people don't feel a need to complain.

Is the OP not about a happy child making some shrieking noises?

Where was the constantly crying bit?

No no, not "some shrieks", 10 minutes, raising to ear piercing screams.

I mean, if someone doesn't like ear piercing screams, they don't like kids. Wasn't that your point?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Keane2baMused

If as you say "it happens a lot" (I have no way to quantify what you mean by 'a lot'), then people are already aware of autism. In fact, so aware are some people of autism, that when my son kicked off outside a polling station because he wasn't allowed vote, my wife was giving him a stern talking to when an old lady came over to her and said -

"Leave him alone, he could be autistic!"

I had to calm my wife down before she lost it with the old lady! :pac:

I'm aware that it happens, I'm aware that people can be impatient and inconsiderate, I'm aware that everyone isn't going to understand every little tick and twitch and the multitude of other traits associated with autism. But y'know what? I'm also aware that the vast, vast, vast majority of people in society are good people!

I'm aware of the care almost to the point of smothering the children, that the children in my son's class in school, the whole school really, look out for, and are ferociously protective of a number of children that are on the spectrum. They don't do it because they have to be told to. They do it because they want to. Because they want children on the spectrum to feel like they are included and that they are cared for and that they are treated with the same dignity and respect as everyone else.

The Carly Fleischmann video is in the same "the world revolves around me" category, because the film is all about Carly Fleischmann's world, and her experience of being autistic. Her experiences may be worlds apart from someone else's experience of being autistic. That's why it's called a spectrum, because every person with autism is going to experience the world differently, from their perspective.

I've worked with adults and children with special needs/differently abled, whatever terminology you prefer to use, for much of my adult life, and because I don't define them by that one trait or ability, I treat them the same as I would anyone else. If we're in a restaurant having a meal, consideration and making allowances for other people always goes both ways.

Some people don't understand that, and they're usually people that aren't on the spectrum. Their disability is their bad attitude and their lack of consideration for other people, but thankfully that's a lot less common in society than any classified cognitive, emotional, behavioral or physical disability.

Oh good lord. Now that is a first for me, leave him alone he could be autistic? I would even be a bit irked if someone said that to me about my kid and he does have autism!

I don't quantify all behaviour as autistic or otherwise.

To me my child is the same as any other but yes he has additional needs and sometimes (or often) those needs exceed that of another child in his age bracket. If they didn't he wouldn't have the diagnosis that he does.

I've worked in the area for years myself and also have other family with varying disabilities. They get treated by and large the same as everyone else. However there just are times when we have to be more tolerant, patient and understanding in situations because of that disability. I don't believe it to be singling them out I think it's an important part of acceptance.

Restaurants are often noisy, with weird lighting and crowded. In the past even going to McDonald's (as a rare treat) with my kid was an absolute nightmare. Sensory overload was common place. Often yes we would have to leave or go somewhere quiet until he would calm down but it has been our persistence in helping him overcome these challenges that has led him to be able to sit (relatively) quietly during a meal and he enjoys it so much which is most important. He feels like 'the other kids' as he says and so badly wants to be included and to do everything his peers can.

I think part of the point is that kids who 'seem' to be peed off in an eatery are not necessarily so. It could be something entirely different. Granted nobody is psychic either so it's a bit of a catch 22.

You would be surprised how many intolerant people there are. The looks, stares, tuts and rude insensitive comments don't get much easier as time goes on. It still hurts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Keane2baMused

No chance OP is going to clarify what type of restaurant it was?

Or maybe it was already but I haven't seen it.

• Advertisement

They don't single out the baby, the tell the parents the cop on and control the child. I think people are more inclined to tell someone to quite down if they are noisy rather than tell parents to control their child.

I'd expect parents to have a bit of cop on if their child is making excessive noise. Not everybody loves your child.

lot of controlling being desired here

they are children not computer games

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement