Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All households must be registered with a licensed waste collector by July 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

timthumbni wrote: »
    I'm still confused. So you pay a private company down there to lift your household rubbish? In Northern Ireland we pay rates which includes the collection of our household waste in wheelie bins of 3 colours every fortnight. In the meantime we can take out rubbish to council deposit dumps from everything to fridges to TVs to paint etc as long as it's single household waste (all for free btw as included in our rates) just not business or builders waste etc.

It seems weird that the republic wouldn't have a similar system.

Household rubbish disposal was privatised around 12 years ago. Before that it was local county councils who were responsible for this. Wheelie bins are used to hold different wastes although not all the disposal companies have the exact same system. The new regulations are supposed to bring them all into line asfaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭timthumbni

gozunda wrote: »
    Household rubbish disposal was privatised around 12 years ago. Before that it was local county councils who were responsible for this. Wheelie bins are used to hold different wastes although not all the disposal companies have the exact same system. The new regulations are supposed to bring them all into line asfaik.

Ok. How much do the private companies charge roughly to collect household waste, recyclables and compost waste?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭prodsc

Ok. How much do the private companies charge roughly to collect household waste, recyclables and compost waste?

I use 'pay as you go' with Barna

Service charge €8.50 per month
    Waste 250l €10 per lift plus 25c per kg over 35kg
    Recycle 250l €4 per lift
    Compost 25l €3 per lift

I find it suits better than current charge of €175 for 6 months fortnightly lift.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭cocoman

I'm still confused. So you pay a private company down there to lift your household rubbish? In Northern Ireland we pay rates which includes the collection of our household waste in wheelie bins of 3 colours every fortnight. In the meantime we can take out rubbish to council deposit dumps from everything to fridges to TVs to paint etc as long as it's single household waste (all for free btw as included in our rates) just not business or builders waste etc.

It seems weird that the republic wouldn't have a similar system.

We currently pay an annual flat rate of €350 for household waste collection. This pricing structure will change in July.

How much do you pay in rates?
    What do you get for it and what happens if people don't pay their rates bill?

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭StanleyOllie

Households dont pay rates. We pay a property tax... average would be about E450... private bin payment... supposed water charge. Lots of different taxes but not a yearly household rate payment

• Advertisement

Households dont pay rates. We pay a property tax... average would be about E450... private bin payment... supposed water charge. Lots of different taxes but not a yearly household rate payment

I was quoting timthumbni post above where he refers to paying rates in NI.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

cocoman wrote:
    How much do you pay in rates? What do you get for it and what happens if people don't pay their rates bill?

Fianna Fail abolished Domestic rates here in the early 80's. It was almost hailed as a miracle that water was free. It was a while before people realised that the taxes were just levied elsewhere. Now we have private waste collection and a private water company.

Business is charged rates which covers the maintenance of footpaths and upkeep of civic areas in towns . There's a separate water rates charged too, that was always payable by businesses.
    Separate charges are levied to businesses for Christmas lights and some chambers of commerce will ask for 'donations' towards st Patrick's day.
    Most towns now have paid parking which covers additional costs that the local authority can't get from government funding.
    It's a local tax really.

Burning rubbish was a popular way for rural people to get rid of rubbish. To say people don't still do it is naive, but for those who stopped doing it outdoors, I know plenty of people who burn stuff in their fires ... Toxins still go into the air but now it's not illegal ..

cbyrd wrote: »
    Fianna Fail abolished Domestic rates here in the early 80's. It was almost hailed as a miracle that water was free. It was a while before people realised that the taxes were just levied elsewhere. Now we have private waste collection and a private water company.

Business is charged rates which covers the maintenance of footpaths and upkeep of civic areas in towns . There's a separate water rates charged too, that was always payable by businesses.
    Separate charges are levied to businesses for Christmas lights and some chambers of commerce will ask for 'donations' towards st Patrick's day.
    Most towns now have paid parking which covers additional costs that the local authority can't get from government funding.
    It's a local tax really.

Burning rubbish was a popular way for rural people to get rid of rubbish. To say people don't still do it is naive, but for those who stopped doing it outdoors, I know plenty of people who burn stuff in their fires ... Toxins still go into the air but now it's not illegal ..

I was quoting timthumbni post above where he refers to paying rates in NI.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭George Michael

what if you use big bin wherein you bring the waste to the bin yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭prodsc

What rate do people pay at the moment for the various services waste providers offer?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,862 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

degsie wrote: »
    Think ppl are jumping the gun here. There NO mention of having to register with a waste collector anywhere. It just some other rules are coming into force in July '16:

from here

I did a search & couldn't find anything either.

Where are people getting the having to register part from ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,193 ✭✭✭Cleveland Hot Pocket

Probably as enforceable as the TV license tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭joeysoap

Oxygen (Dundalk) €84.50 per quarter for 3 bins. No weight nonsense. One green per fortnight, one brown ( foodstuffs) and one black (rubbish) on alternative fortnights. Rival company started up, I phoned oxygen ang got it down to €75 a quarter. Bin companies have to get € xx per year to make it pay, so if the new pay by weight doesn't pay (ie users use the system to their best ability to save money) expect rates to rise until the companies are making the profits they expect.

joeysoap wrote: »
    Oxygen (Dundalk) €84.50 per quarter for 3 bins. No weight nonsense. One green per fortnight, one brown ( foodstuffs) and one black (rubbish) on alternative fortnights. Rival company started up, I phoned oxygen ang got it down to €75 a quarter. Bin companies have to get € xx per year to make it pay, so if the new pay by weight doesn't pay (ie users use the system to their best ability to save money) expect rates to rise until the companies are making the profits they expect.

If people reduce the amount of general waste they put in the black bin, by ensuring everything recyclable goes into the green bin, then the collectors running costs will also reduce because they will have less going to landfill or incinerators. They will also see an increase in the recyclables they receive which they in turn sell on.

cocoman wrote: »
    We currently pay an annual flat rate of €350 for household waste collection. This pricing structure will change in July.

How much do you pay in rates?
    What do you get for it and what happens if people don't pay their rates bill?

In my local council I think it's about 750 a year. That is split betweeen district rates (covers bins, recycling, waste disposal, leisure services, street cleaning and local parks. As I said there are local council waste depos where you can take your stuff after a major spring clean and dump old TVs, washing machines etc.

The regional part then goes towards road, education and health.

If you don't pay your bill then I assume you would be taken to court. They still will lift your bins though as there is no way the bin men would know or care if you have paid your rates bill.

In the republic do some private companies actually weigh your bin as they lift it? That seems very weird. Would a lot of people not just dump their rubbish in public bins then in small bits and pieces?

I always just assumed that the republic had the same system. Interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭joeysoap

cocoman wrote: »
    If people reduce the amount of general waste they put in the black bin, by ensuring everything recyclable goes into the green bin, then the collectors running costs will also reduce because they will have less going to landfill or incinerators. They will also see an increase in the recyclables they receive which they in turn sell on.

Maybe. But if I were betting my money would be on an increase in the rates for either (or perhaps both) the food bin or rubbish bin within a few years as users learn how to use the system - basically put as much as possible into the green bin, (which we should be doing now anyway) as much as possible into the food bin and as little as possible into the rubbish bin. Of course they just might increase the 'lift' charge as that is probably the easiest option. I suspect they will have to carry out a lot more random inspections of the bins as I also suspect that some people will put rubbish into the other bins and cover it. I won't, but some might, I hope I am wrong.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭Niemoj

It costs me around €280 a year for one recycling bin and a normal refuse bin to be collected every 2 weeks (they alternate) here in Carlow!

Paying by weight is going to make that €280 bill €2800! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭George Michael

i came up with a great way to get rid of food waste. i just leave it on the wall and the crows come and eat it all. they eat everything as well. lots of them too fighting over the food

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

does this new law cover bungalows as well in rural areas??

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

Refuse collection should never have been privatised, it is never going to bring down prices not in a small country like ours, maybe in Dublin it might but not throughout the country.

And as for noise pollution here in Waterford city we have about 4 or 5 companies collecting bins and there is never a day bar Sunday that a bin lorry is not doing its rounds.

Give it back to the councils I say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,248 ✭✭✭emo72

danjo-xx wrote: »
    Refuse collection should never have been privatised, it is never going to bring down prices not in a small country like ours, maybe in Dublin it might but not throughout the country.

And as for noise pollution here in Waterford city we have about 4 or 5 companies collecting bins and there is never a day bar Sunday that a bin lorry is not doing its rounds.

Give it back to the councils I say.

christ. thats the most sensible post on here.

remember when we were told theat competition leads to better prices for consumers? HA.

Why don't you lot just include that in your rates? Forget about weighing yer fecking rubbish. What is the point of this when you seem to be fly tipping and complaining like feck?

I still don't know how they charge you by weight? Do they weigh yer wheelie bin per household?

Why don't you lot just include that in your rates? Forget about weighing yer fecking rubbish. What is the point of this when you seem to be fly tipping and complaining like feck?

I still don't know how they charge you by weight? Do they weigh yer wheelie bin per household?

Householders don't pay rates. Various companies have different charging structures- some specify pay by weight -some charge flat rate. Changes in July are supposed to bring them into line asfaik

Fly tipping happens everywhere - it's not just a south of the border thing* ;). But yeah people don't like when it happens either...

*See:
    http://www.constructionireland.ie/construction-news/143653/antrim-railway-line-clean-up-to-tackle-fly-tipping

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Some of the packaging is unnecessary , and manufacturing companies should be made to reduce the amount of cardboard etc used.

gozunda wrote: »
    Householders don't pay rates. Various companies have different charging structures- some specify pay by weight -some charge flat rate. Changes in July are supposed to bring them into line asfaik

Fly tipping g happens everywhere - it's not just a south of the border thing* ;). But yeah people don't like when it happens either...

*See:
    http://www.constructionireland.ie/construction-news/143653/antrim-railway-line-clean-up-to-tackle-fly-tipping

I realise the craic. You pay less rates but then have to pay for your rubbish to be lifted. I don't like paying my rates but it's better than people weighing yer fecking bins. If I was charged by the weight of my bin then I would be dumping that crap all over the show. It's not a good system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭Gator88

Robxxx7 wrote: »
    What if people dispose of their household rubbish at one of the council waste transfer station ?

Then you need to keep the receipts. Once you can prove you are using a licensed waste company Inc DCC you'll be fine

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭ja1986

My bins are 25 Euro a month for recycling ,compost and black bin. They rotate every week. I'm having a new baby next month so my black bin is going to cost me a fortune with nappies. Iv just come across this while researching . Would I be able to cancel my bins and use this service?

http://www.corkcity.ie/services/environmentrecreation/wastemanagement/civicamenitycentre/

I realise the craic. You pay less rates but then have to pay for your rubbish to be lifted. I don't like paying my rates but it's better than people weighing yer fecking bins. If I was charged by the weight of my bin then I would be dumping that crap all over the show. It's not a good system.

No Householders here *dont* pay any rates
    Unfortunately the system was privatised a number of years back so no choice available tbh.
    Most people just get on with it - doesn't mean they necessarily like it. As said there is fly tipping lots of places - it happened even before waste removal was privatised and still is happening.

ja1986 wrote: »
    My bins are 25 Euro a month for recycling ,compost and black bin. They rotate every week. I'm having a new baby next month so my black bin is going to cost me a fortune with nappies. Iv just come across this while researching . Would I be able to cancel my bins and use this service?

http://www.corkcity.ie/services/environmentrecreation/wastemanagement/civicamenitycentre/

You would be able to cancel but I don't think you would be saving a huge amount. The city council charge €5 per standard bag of refuse and you will have to bring it there yourself.
    Nappies will be a big problem. God help anyone with 2 in nappies :(

• Advertisement

Each bin has or should have a chip attached. This contains the customers details. When the bin is lifted it is automatically weighed and the weights recorded electronically.

Advertisement