Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All households must be registered with a licensed waste collector by July 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭Speedwell

seamus wrote: »
    Jaysus, a lot of people getting their knickers in a twist here.

You pay to have your bins emptied at the moment, right? So yeah, that won't change.

The rates being touted are 2c/kg for recycling, 6c/kg for food waste and 11c/kg for general waste. Which for most normal people should work out to about a €1/month per person.

Add on service charges (collectors have to make money), you're probably looking at ~ €3/month/person. Which is about the same as I'm paying right now, in fact slightly less.

Interesting. That in fact works out to about half the amount charged per kg at my current rate, not counting the standing charge. Speaking of, is there any proposed regulation regarding standing charges? Are those weight charges intended to be only for Dublin, or do they apply everywhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Freddio

I like it, you pose a question about a dubious government deal in the waste industry whereby the winning tenderer is contractually guaranteed a healthy profit margin, later on in the story, the government is bringing in laws concerning waste management at the other end, and you are retorted with a right wing snipe about travellers.

Validates my point really

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Speedwell wrote:
    Interesting. That in fact works out to about half the amount charged per kg at my current rate, not counting the standing charge. Speaking of, is there any proposed regulation regarding standing charges? Are those weight charges intended to be only for Dublin, or do they apply everywhere?
    Annoyingly, I've been having difficulty finding the specific regulations on it, they're probably embedded as amendments of existing ones.

My understanding is that a minimum or baseline charge for each type of waste will be set by the department of the environment, but the actual rates will be set by each local authority. The LA's also have complete control over the licencing of waste operators, so will be able to oversee the service charges being applied.

In some areas where there's massive competition, service charges regulate themselves - in Dublin I pay €200/year for an "all you dump" waste service. But in rural areas where there may only be one operator, I imagine the LA will have to tell the operator what they can charge and rely on people to make complaints when the charge is too high.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

my charge is €19 a month for a small waste and standard recycling bin

Yes, mine is a little than €19/month, but actually not €100/year. I paid it all upfront last year and forgot how much it was :D

• Advertisement

Annoyingly, I've been having difficulty finding the specific regulations on it, they're probably embedded as amendments of existing ones.

I had a good look using a couple of different Google search strings, and the numbers you quote are cited by most websites as a minimum charge. Sites that say something about what will actually be charged seem to typically say the cost to the customer will be double that. About standing charges, Westmeath county council say, "So from July 2016 each household will pay an annual service charge for collection and after that their waste contractor will weigh the bins each time they are collected and apply a charge based on the weights of the bin." That's what I do now, except my collector allows me to pay the annual standing charge in quarterly payments. If I'm charged double the minimum rate, I will see no savings.

Edit: The charges on my collector's website for new household accounts are exactly the same as what I pay now, so no expectation they will drop their prices in July.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭HensVassal

Jayop wrote: »
    I think for most people it's tough not to produce waste. There should be more regulations on packaging that would stop more waste than anything an individual could produce.

The likes of that image doing the round with an orange peeled in a plastic container should be illegal for example.

http://cdn.abclocal.go.com/content/kgo/images/cms/1231851_1280x720.jpg

And kids toys are another thing. The amount of crap that they come with is mental.

It's all a fcuking scam. These assholes charge us for a plastic bag at the supermarket in some "altruistic" bid to save the environment and at the same time demand that we put our fcuking toothpaste in a plastic bag at the airport in some dismal attempt to convince us it's all in the interests of the "war on terra".

You have to stump up 70 cents for a bag at the checkout yet you can buy 20 bin liners for a little over a euro so every time I go I just get bin bags as well (I'm going to use them anyway) and carry my stuff home in one of them.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

HensVassal wrote: »
    It's all a fcuking scam. These assholes charge us for a plastic bag at the supermarket in some "altruistic" bid to save the environment and at the same time demand that we put our fcuking toothpaste in a plastic bag at the airport in some dismal attempt to convince us it's all in the interests of the "war on terra".

You have to stump up 70 cents for a bag at the checkout yet you can buy 20 bin liners for a little over a euro so every time I go I just get bin bags as well (I'm going to use them anyway) and carry my stuff home in one of them.

Create less waste, pay less to have it taken away. It's fairly straightforward.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭cowboyBuilder

My Dad has a holiday home in a rural area and he burns his rubbish (as he's rarely there), will he still have to register ?

It's all a fcuking scam. These assholes charge us for a plastic bag at the supermarket <snip> You have to stump up 70 cents for a bag at the checkout yet you can buy 20 bin liners for a little over a euro so every time I go I just get bin bags as well (I'm going to use them anyway) and carry my stuff home in one of them.

Or you could go to eBay and buy a handful of colorful, indestructible Baggu knockoffs from China for a little over a euro each with free shipping. Life is too short for this kind of "uncivil disobedience".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,762 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

You pay to have your bins emptied at the moment, right? So yeah, that won't change.

The rates being touted are 2c/kg for recycling, 6c/kg for food waste and 11c/kg for general waste. Which for most normal people should work out to about a €1/month per person.

Add on service charges (collectors have to make money), you're probably looking at ~ €3/month/person. Which is about the same as I'm paying right now, in fact slightly less.

Would you bet your house on the fee staying at around €3 per person per month? I wouldn't bet jack sh1t on it staying anywhere near as low as that.

If the prices go up, I can see an increase in the amount of fly tipping or an increase in the amount of people burning their rubbish.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

My Dad has a holiday home in a rural area and he burns his rubbish (as he's rarely there), will he still have to register ?

Quite likely.

BattleCorp wrote: »
    Would you bet your house on the fee staying at around €3 per person per month? I wouldn't bet jack sh1t on it staying anywhere near as low as that.
    Prices rise. That's undeniable. In ten years time, no it won't be €3/month anymore. It's called inflation, and it affects everything you buy.

It's a bit of a ridiculous statement, like the people who go on about, "I bet you these water charges are going to go up and up". Yes, yes they are. Just like the price of milk goes up and up.

Prices rise. That's undeniable. In ten years time, no it won't be €3/month anymore. It's called inflation, and it affects everything you buy.

It's a bit of a ridiculous statement, like the people who go on about, "I bet you these water charges are going to go up and up". Yes, yes they are. Just like the price of milk goes up and up.

I'm not talking about a 10 year timescale. I can see this rising rapidly after year one or two.

Kind of like the Irish Water bills. If Irish Water was to break even, the bills would have to increase at least five fold to even reach the break even point.

There are two of us in my house. At €3 per person/month, that would be €6/month. I'm paying slightly over €20/month. I very much doubt that my bill will drop to 1/3 of what it is now.

BattleCorp wrote: »
    I'm not talking about a 10 year timescale. I can see this rising rapidly after year one or two.
    We already pay for waste. Why would a different charging system suddenly result in rapid rises in cost? You have nothing to base your opinion on.

Why do collectors have to make money? Not everything in life needs to be a profit scheme. Society should have certain service and amenities available even if the provision thereof is a net overall cost.

"Excellent rail system is not making a profit? Scrap it and let the fcukers walk! I'm ok, I have a government limo."

"Village police station not paying for itself? Shut it down, can the coppers and let the rural pensioners fend for themselves."

I doubt Holland's marvelous national network of bicycle lanes makes a "profit" but try scrapping it because it costs money and you'd be torn limb from limb by the cloggies.

We already pay for waste. Why would a different charging system suddenly result in rapid rises in cost? You have nothing to base your opinion on.

Em, I don't know, experience.

Like the college fee thing. Start off at €100 or something and now it is nearly €3,000

Waste collectors have to make money. In the example I gave earlier, my bill should drop by 2/3. Can't see waste collectors making money if that happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,599 ✭✭✭Allinall

Why don't you re-use bags for your shopping?

Are you really saying the people that brought in the plastic bag levy are the same ones that regulate security at airports? Really, like?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,678 ✭✭✭flutered

OU812 wrote: »
    That'd be eircode.
    they dont know them all, it was set up with the expressed intintion of providing revenue with the exact number of houses, so as lpt could be collected in its entirety, it so far has failed to do so

Remember that the stated charges are minimums. I've been paying on pay-by-weight for a year and a half now. We don't get charged for the recycle bin, and we don't get a compost bin at all. My regular bin is now being charged at more than double the suggested minimum rate. I can't see those charges going down once they start charging for recycling. And all bets are off as far as standing charges go.

• Advertisement

Why do collectors have to make money? Not everything in life needs to be a profit scheme. Society should have certain service and amenities available even if the provision thereof is a net overall cost.
    Because in general governments tend to be really bad at public service provision.

Your choice is to pay for a waste service that aims to be profitable, and therefore must be competitive. Or you can pay higher taxes for a service that has no incentive to be efficient and improve itself.

It's a balancing act. There are some services for which complete privatisation does more harm than good - defence, education, health, infrastructure. But plenty of other services for which it allows the service to be more effective - waste, electricity, public transport, etc.

Provided the state sets out a USO for these services and fills in the gaps where private operators won't, society benefits from for-profits activity in these services.
    I doubt Holland's marvelous national network of bicycle lanes makes a "profit" but try scrapping it because it costs money and you'd be torn limb from limb by the cloggies.
    Profits aren't always measured in cash terms. Holland "profits" through improved public health, reduced emissions and tourism.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,678 ✭✭✭flutered

comical alan was only interested in the extra vat which would make its way into the goverment coffers, similar to the one in agriculture, where the muckers could not dehorn suck calves, it became a vet only job, the extra vat on the vets bill found its way to the goverment coffers, it the little things which matter, because when you bring them all togeather becomes a large thing, in this case amount, then we will have trousering party socks on social media squealing with delight as regards the extra tax collected each quarter

Speedwell wrote: »
    I had a good look using a couple of different Google search strings, and the numbers you quote are cited by most websites as a minimum charge. Sites that say something about what will actually be charged seem to typically say the cost to the customer will be double that. About standing charges, Westmeath county council say, "So from July 2016 each household will pay an annual service charge for collection and after that their waste contractor will weigh the bins each time they are collected and apply a charge based on the weights of the bin." That's what I do now, except my collector allows me to pay the annual standing charge in quarterly payments. If I'm charged double the minimum rate, I will see no savings.

Edit: The charges on my collector's website for new household accounts are exactly the same as what I pay now, so no expectation they will drop their prices in July.

Cue little neighbourhood scumbags putting rocks in the wheelie bin of the neighbour they don't like just to ramp up his charges.

Graham wrote: »
    Create less waste, pay less to have it taken away. It's fairly straightforward.

Making people put their deoderant in a plastic bag at the airport creates tons of waste and of the non-biodegradeable type, no?
    Where's the commitment to plastic reduction there?

Making people put their deoderant in a plastic bag at the airport creates tons of waste and of the non-biodegradeable type, no?
    Where's the commitment to plastic reduction there?

Did you know there is absolutely nothing in the applicable regulations that prevents you from using a reusable transparent bag that meets the size requirements? You can purchase them where they sell luggage and travel accessories, usually. Mine was a nice thick clear vinyl bag sewn with an actual zipper in the top. Never a problem.

There's a big difference between inflation and price-gouging. Once the consumer is on the hook to a private corporation for a service that corporation can jack up the price in the interests of the bottom line and it's got fcuk all to do with inflation although they'll always tell you it is because if they were honest with you and admitted they were fleecing you you might get ever so miffed. Better to let you think it's all for your own good.

Allinall wrote: »
    Why don't you re-use bags for your shopping?

Are you really saying the people that brought in the plastic bag levy are the same ones that regulate security at airports? Really, like?

What on Earth made you come to that conclusion?

Speedwell wrote: »
    Did you know there is absolutely nothing in the applicable regulations that prevents you from using a reusable transparent bag that meets the size requirements? You can purchase them where they sell luggage and travel accessories, usually. Mine was a nice thick clear vinyl bag sewn with an actual zipper in the top. Never a problem.

Oh boy!!
    Two words spring to mind here....candy and baby.

Oh boy!!
    Two words spring to mind here....candy and baby.

Well, you also have to buy the plastic bags you put your toiletries in, unless you like holding up the line at the airport to use theirs for free. But gripers gotta gripe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭bpmurray

So does this mean that a "Licenced waste collector" will now come along and collect my rubbish? They haven't for the almost 25 years I've lived here so I'm wondering if they really are going to start because of this. We deliver our waste to the local recycling centre (most is actually recycled, food scraps go to the dogs & cats, plant matter + paper goes to the compost) - do they actually plan on stopping that service?

Advertisement