Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All households must be registered with a licensed waste collector by July 1

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

Speedwell wrote: »
    They don't give us a compost bin, and we are not allowed to put food waste in the recycle bin.

I think they may have to. I don't have one currently either.

marley1 wrote: »
    Lots of people would not give a fiddlers f*** if they got seen You might not even know them
    Padlocks on all the bins and give the binman a key:pac:

I'd tell them to fcuk off the miserable tight ****ers, but I wouldn't go padlocking anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,770 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I live in a small apartment complex that has a single shared wheelie bin (one of those big almost head-height ones). Everything goes in there and it's included in the rent.

I've also used those PAYG Bins they have in some garages and shop forecourts. This sounds like yet another money grab from our "we haven't raised taxes" shower.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭yellowlabrador

From what I heard, they are going to do paybyweight for the recyclables too.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

I recycle everything. I have one black bag of rubbish every 2 months that my mother in law kindly puts into her bin. I have a compost heap for food waste, a bring centre down the road for recycling and I've no need for a waste service. I don't have any proof I do all this of course except for the bin in my back garden and the say so of the mother in law and the bring centre. We are a family of four, no one will believe we only produce 5-6 bags of waste a year.

• Advertisement

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    I live in a small apartment complex that has a single shared wheelie bin (one of those big almost head-height ones). Everything goes in there and it's included in the rent.

I've also used those PAYG Bins they have in some garages and shop forecourts. This sounds like yet another money grab from our "we haven't raised taxes" shower.

Does the bin issue receipts? Also the apartment management company would be able see who paid for the services

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

mansize wrote: »
    I think they are coming in, also would you have that much food waste???

My nan hates food wasted so I waste v little- except crusts- which the birds eat! :D

We'd have loads of food waste. All skins and peels from fruit and veg mostly. Not much cooked food leftovers though.

eviltwin wrote: »
    I recycle everything. I have one black bag of rubbish every 2 months that my mother in law kindly puts into her bin. I have a compost heap for food waste, a bring centre down the road for recycling and I've no need for a waste service. I don't have any proof I do all this of course except for the bin in my back garden and the say so of the mother in law and the bring centre. We are a family of four, no one will believe we only produce 5-6 bags of waste a year.

Surely your mother can vouch for that.

Is the waste composted in a bin??? Or lose? that may be an issue

Jayop wrote: »
    We'd have loads of food waste. All skins and peels from fruit and veg mostly. Not much cooked food leftovers though.

Oh yeah... that would be waste bin until you get a compost bin

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭NiallBoo

Speedwell wrote: »
    They don't give us a compost bin, and we are not allowed to put food waste in the recycle bin.
    It's not everywhere, but it's getting better. Hopefully everyone will have the option within a few years.
    I think they are coming in, also would you have that much food waste???

My nan hates food wasted so I waste v little- except crusts- which the birds eat! :D
    Food waste is mostly water, so it makes up a lot of the weight. The weight of potato peels, teabags and stuff like that really adds up. Most compostable waste is from food prep (vegetable peelings and stuff like that)

• Advertisement

NiallBoo wrote: »
    The one on the Cootehill road? Never noticed a particular pong from it.

On some days I'd almost puke going past it. Not been as bad lately in fairness but it can certainly humm.
    From what I heard, they are going to do paybyweight for the recyclables too.

At which point is is simply about money generation and not recycling at all.

Oh yeah... that would be waste bin until you get a compost bin

I was chucking it all in a spare wheely bin and tossing it to make compost myself but it didn't really work. I'll still use what I've got this summer but it's all going in the dirty bin again now.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,770 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

As I mentioned above, everyone in my block throws it into the one bin so I somehow doubt that all this sorting and multiple bins that some do/have counts for much except as a way to charge more for it TBH

• Registered Users Posts: 11,762 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

No receipt for waste disposal equals fine

I collect the rubbish from my Mam every week and put it into my own bins because they would be collected half empty.

How would the new system work in situations like this then? This is unworkable.

At which point is is simply about money generation and not recycling at all.

Depends on how the rates are structured really...but is it wrong that you pay more for using more of the service?

You'd think the next once recycling/composting is all in order is to encourage people to produce less waste in general.

BattleCorp wrote: »
    I collect the rubbish from my Mam every week and put it into my own bins because they would be collected half empty.

you tell them you share I imagine!

Depends on how the rates are structured really...but is it wrong that you pay more for using more of the service?

You'd think the next once recycling/composting is all in order is to encourage people to produce less waste in general.

I think for most people it's tough not to produce waste. There should be more regulations on packaging that would stop more waste than anything an individual could produce.

The likes of that image doing the round with an orange peeled in a plastic container should be illegal for example.

http://cdn.abclocal.go.com/content/kgo/images/cms/1231851_1280x720.jpg

And kids toys are another thing. The amount of crap that they come with is mental.

Then why don't you put the bins out half as often?

Fair point though that charging rates need to allow for smaller bins and less frequent collection - an obvious result of increased recycling and composting.
    I think a lot companies structure their charges to allow for this already but probably not well enough for people who only put out a black bin every few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭CamperMan

maudgonner wrote: »
    I don't know if it will stop fly tipping though. Isn't pay-by-weight becoming mandatory? That means there will still be plenty of incentive for arseholes to throw their rubbish wherever they please to save a few quid.

the problem with this is your neighbours will dump all their crap in your bin the night before the rubbish collectors come, then you get charged more, and they get charged less.. I saw this happening when we lived in Germany.. we ended up putting our bin out as soon as we heard the truck coming...

I think for most people it's tough not to produce waste. There should be more regulations on packaging that would stop more waste than anything an individual could produce.

The likes of that image doing the round with an orange peeled in a plastic container should be illegal for example.

http://cdn.abclocal.go.com/content/kgo/images/cms/1231851_1280x720.jpg

And kids toys are another thing. The amount of crap that they come with is mental.
    I think companies have gotten much, much better at this but some extent people will have to make the choice to buy things that have less packaging.

I don't envy anyone who has to try and make that argument to their kids though.

That orange is shocking/hilarious - especially from a shop called "Whole Foods".

• Advertisement

CamperMan wrote: »
    the problem with this is your neighbours will dump all their crap in your bin the night before the rubbish collectors come, then you get charged more, and they get charged less.. I saw this happening when we lived in Germany.. we ended up putting our bin out as soon as we heard the truck coming...

My understanding is you only put out your bin when its full.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,762 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Fair point though that charging rates need to allow for smaller bins and less frequent collection - an obvious result of increased recycling and composting.
    I think a lot companies structure their charges to allow for this already but probably not well enough for people who only put out a black bin every few months.

I pay a yearly fee so bin or no bin I pay the same.

Neither my Mam nor myself generate much waste so we combine our rubbish and only pay for one bin. I think that makes sense.

Neither my Mam nor myself generate much waste so we combine our rubbish and only pay for one bin. I think that makes sense.

the flat fee will be going, Im sure you can declare the bin as shared

My bins are a standing charge whether I put them out half full or not at all.

Same as. We used to be able to buy a bag to tie onto the bin when we wanted it to go out but not anymore.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,160 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

The bags are being discontinued

Not everywhere.
    In Dublin City for example, they are drawing up a list of streets where it is not feasible to expect people to store three wheelie bins on the street, or where the street is too narrow for the wheelie bin collector to go down.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

spurious wrote: »
    Not everywhere.
    In Dublin City for example, they are drawing up a list of streets where it is not feasible to expect people to store three wheelie bins on the street, or where the street is too narrow for the wheelie bin collector to go down.

A quick saunter around the North Inner City will reveal a significant problem with "Citizens" who have little interaction with Refuse Collection,whether Licenced or not...Mountjoy Square,Gardiner Street,Gardiner Row and a hundred other small streets in the vicinity will focus your attention pretty quick.....;)

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭HensVassal

seamus wrote: »
    No, probably not. The operators will likely state a minimum credit amount required, since it costs them the same to send a truck every week regardless of how much is in your bins. So you pay that minimum amount up front.
    Yep. And he'll have to keep topping up his account or it will be suspended and the council will knock on his door asking what he does with his waste.

Like I mention above, the operators will have a fixed cost in sending trucks around, so they're not going to send a truck to your house if you haven't paid something towards.

Operators will likely continue to offer a flat-rate charge where they collect your rubbish and operate a fair usage policy (some already do this). The "pay by lift" regime that they do at the moment will simply be replaced with pay-by-weight charging, where you have an account that you top up with credit.

Yeah, but big & heavy stuff usually doesn't go in the wheelie bin anyway. He's not going to go to the trouble of keeping a bin in his house and separating out stuff that's slightly heavier than others.

The key in the mandatory registration is really to discover those scumbags who throw black bags out of the car. It won't stop it, of course it won't. But it should reduce is massively by basically making it more hassle to tip than to pay.

I take it that Travellers will be exempt just as with water charges?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Stealthfins

Another way of robbing a working man and woman of a few quid a week.

Where will the next tenner a week go ?

Sooner or later we'll have **** all tenners left,then something that costs a fiver a week will come in.

Robbing bstrds.

I'm having a bad day lol

• Registered Users Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭joeysoap

And will Johnny say- yes Judge we do?

Of course he will, he's your first cousin twice removed and he's not adverse to the odd pint sent over in the pub. ;)

Seriously though, there is no reason for my son to have a bin account, first he's single, secondly he's out of the country for 20 days on average a month. He puts his rubbish in my black bin, his foodstuff such as it is in my brown bin, paper stuff in my green bin and recycles bottles himself. He did register for Irish Water, not metered and IMO will never be,which is a pity because he uses little or no water, paid 'the' €100 to Irish water and is playing the 'wait and see' game we are all playing before paying the balance. I doubt he will register for this 'lets ride Paddy again' malarkey.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭CarFan100

How much will it cost people who mostly recycle and have very little rubbish?

Advertisement