Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht vs Munster, Sat 16th April 19.15, Sportsground. Sky Sports 5/TG4

Options
  • 12-04-2016 9:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭

Ok, this is a real biggie. For Munster its a matter of European qualification, for Connacht its a top 4 (possibly top 2) position up for grabs in the Pro12. So Munster had a week off to prepare for the game. Connacht had to live through the agony of a 1 point loss to Grenoble. Alan Quinlan says that Connacht needs to play ugly while we all know this will not happen, Peter O'Mahoney out for the total season is a huge blow to Munster. Very clear that with Conor Murray back Munster is a much better team. Johnny Holland is playing out of his skin these days and Sweetnam is simply a find. In return Matt Healy is finally being recognised as the slipperiest fecker on two feet.

How will this game turn out. Yes there is a transition going on at Connacht (it has always been that way). Will Munster put manners on this new way of playing rugby or will Connacht show Munster a clean turn of foot. One thing is sure is that where Munster were porous earlier in the season, this is no longer the case.

The game is up for grabs. So go get it

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,020 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

I'm an Ulster supporter so am hoping for a Connacht win. I have thoroughly enjoyed watching Connacht play this season and they do play exhilarating rugby at times. Last Saturday's match in France was the best of all the quarter finals IMHO. However I do think if they had their 1st/2nd choice out half available they would probably have won. I hope this does not hamper them in the Pro 12 run in. I think this match will be similar to the recent match against Leinster and it will be tight. Munster will be fighting for all their worth (not literally) and I can't see more than a score in it. Here's hoping the home crowd will lift Connacht again and see them over the line to well deserved victory.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭neelia11

I'm an Ulster supporter so am hoping for a Connacht win. I have thoroughly enjoyed watching Connacht play this season and they do play exhilarating rugby at times. Last Saturday's match in France was the best of all the quarter finals IMHO. However I do think if they had their 1st/2nd choice out half available they would probably have won. I hope this does not hamper them in the Pro 12 run in. I think this match will be similar to the recent match against Leinster and it will be tight. Munster will be fighting for all their worth (not literally) and I can't see more than a score in it. Here's hoping the home crowd will lift Connacht again and see them over the line to well deserved victory.

I think munster might sneak this If they have stander, murray, holland at 8-9-10 it might just offer a bit more control if it is a tight game

• Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

neelia11 wrote: »
    I think munster might sneak this If they have stander, murray, holland at 8-9-10 it might just offer a bit more control if it is a tight game

Between Holland and O'Leary, Holland has certainly has looked more impressive it has to be said

Stander-Murray vs Muldoon-Marmion
    Be closer than you'd think (Muldoon has just been ridiculous this season)

Gonna be a really interesting game- weather is looking good too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭neelia11

wp_rathead wrote: »
    Between Holland and O'Leary, Holland has certainly has looked more impressive it has to be said

Stander-Murray vs Muldoon-Marmion
    Be closer than you'd think (Muldoon has just been ridiculous this season)

Gonna be a really interesting game- weather is looking good too

Murray and Stander are a step above muldoon - Marmion. Murray also offers a lot more control to help Holland and I dont think Marmion offers that to SOL on the same level. If the munster 8-9-10 perform well in a close game I think it could be the difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

For the type of open game Connacht play Muldoon and Marmion are extremely effective.

Really looking forward to this game

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭Felix Jones is God

Munster need the win if there is to be any chance of a top 4 finish.
    I expect us to just about do it if we can get quick ball to Earls, Zebo & I'm expecting young Holland to have a stormer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

It's interesting that Ulster fans need Connacht to win, while a Munster win would pretty much guarantee a home semi-final for Leinster (barring disaster against Edinburgh the previous night).

Connacht have had the better season but this will be their fourth big match in four weeks (three interpros and a trip to Grenoble), so it's a test of their depth. Munster have been disappointing this season but are always there or thereabout in the last 15 minutes.

Being at home, you would have to favour Connacht, but it will be close.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,191 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Munster by a nose. I think the pace of the business end of the season and absent players will start to tell on Connacht. If they're to win, they really need a few guys to step up in the pack and play above what they've shown in the last couple of weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

Buer wrote: »
    Munster by a nose. I think the pace of the business end of the season and absent players will start to tell on Connacht. If they're to win, they really need a few guys to step up in the pack and play above what they've shown in the last couple of weeks.

I really don't think Munster will want any pace in this game.

Don't understand the pack argument. Thought they did pretty well the past 3 weeks TBH. Lineouts could be much better though.

its_phil wrote: »
    I really don't think Munster will want any pace in this game.

Don't understand the pack argument. Thought they did pretty well the past 3 weeks TBH. Lineouts could be much better though.

Pace in relation to the end of season phase as opposed to the actual pace of the specific game. They're enduring important game after important game against sides who are throwing the kitchen sink at them. It takes a toll on players and it's when depth is really needed.

I think the line outs could be much better but I haven't been hugely impressed by some of the units. I think second row hasn't been great. Discipline has been poor in the pack with 3 yellow cards in two games.

They also need to take some of the pressure off their outhalf by taking on some more ball, I feel. The opposition defence know Connacht are going to move the ball almost every time and are able to shoot up and pressure errors. I'd like to see some guys take on the opposition up front for a few phases more often.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭Billysays no

Think Tom has been unpredictable with lineouts. Suspect this will be a problem on Saturday. Otherwise Connacht will retain posession until Munster take it away from them. Am hugely concerned with the lack of experience at 10 for Connacht while Munster has a budding replacement for Sexton. Think the two Scannells are great but see Connacht showing Alan Quinlan and Munster how to play modern day rugby. If I am right, then I hope I am wrong, as I would hate the dynasty that is Munster rugby shown up. But I fear that the conservative nature of Munster rugby will implode on itself this Saturday and finally the difficult questions will be asked as to the direction of the Munster team

Think Tom has been unpredictable with lineouts. Suspect this will be a problem on Saturday. Otherwise Connacht will retain posession until Munster take it away from them

That's the number of times Connacht have turned over possession in their last three outings combined. Ball retention is a massive issue for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭MarinersBlues

Powers have gone up with Connacht as slight favourites.

4/5 to win the game and 2 pts on the handicap.

They got the total points for Connacht v Grenoble way too low last week. I think they have gone too high this week.
    If it is as high scoring as they seem to expect I would expect Connacht to win.

But on the whole, until the teams are named, I think they are correct. It is 50/50.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭Billysays no

Buer wrote: »

That's the number of times Connacht have turned over possession in their last three outings combined. Ball retention is a massive issue for them.
    Think what you say is a double edged sword. If you play a high intensity game there are rewards and also negatives. You describe the negative and ignore the positive. It has always bothered me that scotland, who play a similar game in the 6 nations and fail year in and year out. Yet, if I were a scottish supporter I would go and watch it every year in the hope that maybe this would be the year. Because, bottom line, i would be entertained. I would go through so many emotions with such a team, but bottom line I would enjoy it. There is nothing to be enjoyed by modern day irish rugby other than connacht.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Munster:
    Simon Zebo; Darren Sweetnam, Francis Saili, Rory Scannell, Keith Earls; Johnny Holland, Conor Murray;
    James Cronin, Mike Sherry, Stephen Archer; Donnacha Ryan, Billy Holland; CJ Stander - capt., Tommy O'Donnell, Jack O'Donoghue.

Replacements: Niall Scannell, Dave Kilcoyne, John Ryan, Robin Copeland, Jordan Coghlan, Tomás O'Leary, Ian Keatley, Andrew Conway.

Well there's no doubt who the #1 flyhalf is now. Jordan Coghlan makes a rare appearance in the 23 with other players out injured, it's interesting that he is selected ahead of Shane Buckley who I believe is fit?

Connacht team to face Munster, Saturday 16th April, the Sportsground, 19:15

15 Robbie Henshaw
    14 Niyi Adeolokun
    13 Bundee Aki
    12 Peter Robb
    11 Matt Healy
    10 Shane O’Leary
    9 Kieran Marmion

1 Denis Buckley
    2 Tom McCartney
    3 Finlay Bealham
    4 Ultan Dillane
    5 Aly Muldowney
    6 Sean O’Brien
    7 Eoin McKeon
    8 John Muldoon (captain)

Replacements:

16 Jason Harris-Wright
    17 Ronan Loughney
    18 JP Cooney
    19 Andrew Browne
    20 James Connolly
    21 John Cooney
    22 Jack Carty
    23 Fionn Carr

Injured/Unavailable: Dave Heffernan, Nathan White, Ben Marshall, Jake Heenan, Nepia Fox-Matamua, Eoghan Masterson, Craig Ronaldson, AJ MacGinty, Dave McSharry, Danie Poolman, Darragh Leader, Ciaran Gaffney, Tiernan O’Halloran

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭gavkm27

Nice to see Jack Carty back in the Connacht 23

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭Mahatma Geansai

Very happy with that Munster side. Its great to see Sweetnam, Holland, and JOD all being given starts in such an important game.

Thirteen of the Munster starting 15 are homegrown and 22 of the 23-man squad are Irish qualified. Its great to see such a young side also; the average age of the starting side is only 26. Crazy that Earls is the old man in the backline.

While the season may be deemed a failure - how big of a failure we have yet to find out - I think that we are in a much stronger position heading into next season than we were heading in into the current one. Foley has to be given some plaudits for how he has integrated young players over the recent months.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Which team has the stronger pack?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭Mahatma Geansai

Well there's no doubt who the #1 flyhalf is now. Jordan Coghlan makes a rare appearance in the 23 with other players out injured, it's interesting that he is selected ahead of Shane Buckley who I believe is fit?

I wonder if Shane Buckley is being transitioned to hooker fulltime?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Pat has obviously lost any patience he had left with Rodney. Disappointing for his time with the province to end that way but honestly he has only himself to blame

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭d-gal

Which team has the stronger pack?

Connacht the better tight 5 with Munster edging the back 3. Connacht overall coz they play better as a unit.

2 very tasty backlines - both equal overall with. Murray obviously better than Marmion but Aki is better than both Munster centres combined. That's no insult to the likes of Scannell, it's just Aki has been the best centre in the Pro12 this year. Man is a freak!

Connacht by 7

We have 5 hookers on the books for next season so if that's the case I don't get it. I think he may be let go.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,249 ✭✭✭slingerz

think hes out of contract this summer though

• Registered Users Posts: 20,091 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

d-gal wrote: »
    but Aki is better than both Munster centres combined

slight blinkered exaggeration there ....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,249 ✭✭✭slingerz

2smiggy wrote: »

slightly exaggerated alright especially against a capped AB

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

2smiggy wrote: »

Not at all, in fact I don't know why we're even putting another centre in with Aki, he can handle both of them on his own... :P

Being serious though, Aki vs Saili is just one of a few tasty match-ups in this game. Good team from Munster, could be very tight. Let's hope for a dry day and a good game of rugby...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,939 ✭✭✭leakyboots

Our backs look great on the teamsheet but have been misfiring on the pitch... cracking lineups though, first trip up to the Dog Track in a few years for me, looking forward to it!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

slingerz wrote: »
    slightly exaggerated alright especially against a capped AB

Obviously that was ott but I think it's fair to say Aki is having the better season overall.

Plenty of great match ups there, looking forward to this game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭case885

Very happy with the selection from Foley bar Sherry over Scannell, I think Sherry needs a good pre season to get back to previous level after such a long time out.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement