Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht vs Munster, Sat 16th April 19.15, Sportsground. Sky Sports 5/TG4

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭BrokenMan

Looking forward to this. Two good looking teams. Delighted for Jack to see him back fit.

One thing though. Isn't it a 7.15 kickoff not 7.35?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

BrokenMan wrote: »
    Looking forward to this. Two good looking teams. Delighted for Jack to see him back fit.

One thing though. Isn't it a 7.15 kickoff not 7.35?

Yeah, the Leinster match today is a 7.35 kickoff, the match tomorrow is 7.15

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭kuang1

All I hope for is that if Holland is playing well at 10, that he's left on to play the full game.

(And not replaced by our "international standard" Keatley at 61 minutes by an inept coach)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Which team has the stronger pack?

Connacht in the tight-five
    Munster in the backrow

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭d-gal

slingerz wrote: »
    slightly exaggerated alright especially against a capped AB

Let's face it, he looks nowhere near that level

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭MarinersBlues

d-gal wrote: »
    Let's face it, he looks nowhere near that level
    He is as much AB standard as Keatley is "international standard".
    Even if you disagree with that, he is definitely not as good as Aki.

Looking forward to seeing Saili getting Akied in the first few minutes a la Teo. :cool::cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

There's a very clear order.

Sailli -> Aki -> Lord Henshaw

• Registered Users Posts: 4,298 ✭✭✭freyners

Jaysus I knew Leinster was the pale but I didnt realise he got a title with the move.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

freyners wrote: »
    Jaysus I knew Leinster was the pale but I didnt realise he got a title with the move.

It's the feudal system. Connacht give Leinster deadly players and in return we protect them by providing European rugby (this year has been an unfortunate blip of course)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

personally, and genuinely without any malice to Lord Henshaw, I've always thought that Aki is a superior 12.

• Advertisement

personally, and genuinely without any malice to Lord Henshaw, I've always thought that Aki is a superior 12.

Pretty much the entirety of Connacht agrees, that's why they line up as 12. Aki 13. Henshaw whenever they're playing together.

It's the feudal system. Connacht give Leinster deadly players and in return we protect them by providing European rugby (this year has been an unfortunate blip of course)

Don't know why we ever complain so:p

I reckon we should have an edge scrum time. Buckley is a better prop overall imo than Cronin or Kilcoyne, some will argue otherwise, but in the scrum its pretty clear Denis has an edge. Bealham I also rate ahead of Archer now, who has developed himself into a competent prop at this level, but Bealham is competing with two capped internationals and has comfortably overtaken one and is in a real tussle with the other

9/10 Munster have a strong advantage thanks to Murray but Marmion tends to have big games in home interpros and expect that to continue.

Aki to show why Munster were so put out on missing out on his signature

• Registered Users Posts: 5,961 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

He is as much AB standard as Keatley is "international standard".
    Even if you disagree with that, he is definitely not as good as Aki.

Looking forward to seeing Saili getting Akied in the first few minutes a la Teo. :cool::cool:

It's interesting comparing Saili and Aki. In NZ Saili was clearly better than Aki. It wasn't even a contest. Saili got a couple of caps and no one was looking at Aki for the All Blacks. They come to Ireland and Aki looks like the international.

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    It's interesting comparing Saili and Aki. In NZ Saili was clearly better than Aki. It wasn't even a contest. Saili got a couple of caps and no one was looking at Aki for the All Blacks. They come to Ireland and Aki looks like the international.

It could be to do with where they are playing. Connacht play a much more SH-esque style of rugby than Munster so it may just suit Aki better than Saili fitting in at Munster, but I don't think there's any question that Aki has been the better signing of the two so far at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,725 ✭✭✭✭phog

kuang1 wrote: »
    All I hope for is that if Holland is playing well at 10, that he's left on to play the full game.

(And not replaced by our "international standard" Keatley at 61 minutes by an inept coach)

Didnt Holland say he found the intensity of the Leinster match to be higher than he'd previously experienced. I think he had visibly tired and the replacement needed to be made maybe not as early but it was needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭spurscormac

Could that be down to the system they're playing in?
    Aki is perfectly suited to the Connacht brand of rugby, whereas I'd even cheekily suggest that Saili would look a better player in a green jersey. ;)

Connacht|Munster
    15: Henshaw|15: Zebo
    14: Adeolokun|14:Sweetnam
    13: Aki|13: Saili
    12: Robb|12: Rory Scannell
    11: Healy|11: Earls
    10: O'Leary|10: Johnny Holland
    9: Marmion|9: Murray
    |
    1: Buckley|1: Cronin
    2: McCartney|2: Sherry
    3: Bealham|3: Archer
    4: Dillane|4: Ryan
    5: Muldowney|5: Billy Holland
    6: O'Brien|6: Stander (c)
    7: McKeon|7: O'Donnell
    8: Muldoon (c)|8: O'Donoghue
    |
    16: Harris-Wright|16: Niall Scannell
    17: Loughney|17: Kilcoyne
    18: JP Cooney|18: Ryan
    19: Browne|19: Copeland
    20: Connolly|20: Coghlan
    21: John Cooney|21: O'Leary
    22: Carty|22: Keatley
    23: Carr|23: Conway

• Registered Users Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭b.gud

The Saili vs Aki one is interesting, I agree that Aki looks far the better player this year bit I think it's worth remembering that he came to Munster after a full super rugby season.
    Last year Aki came to us after a super rugby and ITM season and looked good but not a patch on what he has been this season.
    It'll be interesting to see how they both go next year when both have had a whole summer off and a whole pre season

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭Moflojo

b.gud wrote: »
    The Saili vs Aki one is interesting, I agree that Aki looks far the better player this year bit I think it's worth remembering that he came to Munster after a full super rugby season.

Also worth noting that Connacht are playing a SH style of rugby that's better suited to Aki than Munster's style is to Saili. I felt sorry for Saili at times this season when he looked to offload out of a tackle but no one was giving him an outlet, everyone was slowing up to ruck over and secure the breakdown. Munster's style is evolving though and they're always a bit more adventurous with Zebo and Earls in the side.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭Billysays no

Would say that the replacement front row for connacht looks threadbare. I would suggest that the three lads on the field will have to stay the 80 minutes unless the game is already won

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,474 ✭✭✭swiwi_

I really disagree. Well OK, what you say might be correct, but it wasn't my own personal opinion. I rated Aki higher than Saili, and thought Saili was one of Hansen's few dud selections.

In saying that, I don't think Aki would have ever got more than a handful of caps at most, although maybe with Nonu, Smith and SBW gone he might have been in the running from 2016 onwards.

I wonder if Munster are paying Saili more than Connacht are paying Aki?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,961 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

swiwi_ wrote: »
    I really disagree. Well OK, what you say might be correct, but it wasn't my own personal opinion. I rated Aki higher than Saili, and thought Saili was one of Hansen's few dud selections.

In saying that, I don't think Aki would have ever got more than a handful of caps at most, although maybe with Nonu, Smith and SBW gone he might have been in the running from 2016 onwards.

I wonder if Munster are paying Saili more than Connacht are paying Aki?

Was that because Saili was picked ahead of Crotty;)

Saili was a flop as an AB but his form for the Blues and coming through the age groups, he was miles ahead of Aki. I don't think Aki would have ever gotten capped if he'd stayed in NZ. I think he would've been another Tipoki, very talented but discipline issues.

phog wrote: »
    Didnt Holland say he found the intensity of the Leinster match to be higher than he'd previously experienced. I think he had visibly tired and the replacement needed to be made maybe not as early but it was needed.

If Holland said that then I missed it. But asuming he did, it hardly translates as "I was glad I was subbed" or "I wouldn't have survived out there for much longer". To me it sounds like the opposite.

Sounds like a player staring that the intensity was higher than he had experienced and (reading between the lines) was relishing it and grateful.

He didn't visibly tire to me but that's objective.

It will be fascinating to see if/when Keatley is introduced tomorrow.

I keep saying this so apologies for repetition...but I'd love Keatley to find some consistency. For the sake of his career and sanity.
    Unfortunately as it stands I wouldn't be renewing his contract.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭Billysays no

looking forward to tomorrow. connacht might lose or they might win but at least it will be entertaining

If Holland said that then I missed it. But asuming he did, it hardly translates as "I was glad I was subbed" or "I wouldn't have survived out there for much longer". To me it sounds like the opposite.

Sounds like a player staring that the intensity was higher than he had experienced and (reading between the lines) was relishing it and grateful.

He didn't visibly tire to me but that's objective.

It will be fascinating to see if/when Keatley is introduced tomorrow.

I keep saying this so apologies for repetition...but I'd love Keatley to find some consistency. For the sake of his career and sanity.
    Unfortunately as it stands I wouldn't be renewing his contract.

Aside from his tiring being objective, he had just kicked two restarts long, one was just about kept in play the other went straight into touch resulting in a scrum to Leinster. Now, maybe with the GPS signalling Holland was tiring and those errors Foley felt the change was warranted.

looking forward to tomorrow. connacht might lose or they might win but at least it will be entertaining

After the result in the RDS tonight both teams need to win tomorrow night, Connacht to keep the pressure on Leinster for top spot and Munster to get ahead of Edinburgh. Edinburgh's LBP tonight puts them ahead of us on same points.

Aside from his tiring being objective, he had just kicked two restarts long, one was just about kept in play the other went straight into touch resulting in a scrum to Leinster. Now, maybe with the GPS signalling Holland was tiring and those errors Foley felt the change was warranted.

Yeah possibly.
    And I know hindsight is a marvellous thing...
    But I would have preferred a tired Holland over a fresh Keatley. I know it's not that simple however.

What grated on me most was Foleys comments after. I mean if the new guy is tired, and is in the process of coming up to speed with the pro12 game, then say that and fair enough. And add that we have "a briliant Keatley eager to come on".
    But when you witness what Keatley did after he came on, and you proceed to use phrases like "international standard" post-apocolypto...
    I'm sorry Foley...you've lost any support I might have otherwise offered you.

Yeah possibly.
    And I know hindsight is a marvellous thing...
    But I would have preferred a tired Holland over a fresh Keatley. I know it's not that simple however.

What grated on me most was Foleys comments after. I mean if the new guy is tired, and is in the process of coming up to speed with the pro12 game, then say that and fair enough. And add that we have "a briliant Keatley eager to come on".
    But when you witness what Keatley did after he came on, and you proceed to use phrases like "international standard" post-apocolypto...
    I'm sorry Foley...you've lost any support I might have otherwise offered you.

So the subbing was never the real issue.

It was...Im giving you the benefit of the doubt that Holland said that? Should I insist you provide a link?

• Advertisement

Can I also ask you that as you watched the game in real time, when you saw Keatley coming on for Holland, what did you think?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement