Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht vs Munster, Sat 16th April 19.15, Sportsground. Sky Sports 5/TG4

Options
1171819202123»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

You yourself agree Cronin deserved a card.

Locking out the scrum is not illegal. Without the illegal scrummaging from Cronin it's a legitimate contest. It's as simple as that. If Bealham had collapsed without being pulled down then a penalty against him would be fair, it didn't happen.

I'll retract that so.

If Cronin deserved a card, so did Bealham.

Anyone got a link to Neil Tracy's analysis? I can't find it.

and what was dangerous from the laws of the game?

Law 20.1 (h)

A crouched position is the extension of the normal stance by bending the knees sufficiently to move into the engagement without a charge.

Sanction: Penalty kick

Bealham was not bending his knees.

---

Another one of the scrums:

(j)
    Stationary and parallel. Until the ball leaves the scrum half’s hands, the scrum must be stationary and the middle line must be parallel to the goal lines. A team must not shove the scrum away from the mark before the ball is thrown in.

The ball never left the scrumhalf hand. This was the scrum that Cronin got carded for.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,415 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

jm08 wrote: »
    Law 20.1 (h) A crouched position is the extension of the normal stance by bending the knees sufficiently to move into the engagement without a charge.

Sanction: Penalty kick

Bealham was not bending his knees.
    Glad you quoted that. You missed the bit about the engagement. Cronin pulled Bealham down after the engagement. The above law doesn't require Bealham to have his legs bent at that point.
    jm08 wrote: »
    (j) Stationary and parallel. Until the ball leaves the scrum half’s hands, the scrum must be stationary and the middle line must be parallel to the goal lines. A team must not shove the scrum away from the mark before the ball is thrown in.
    The ball never left the scrumhalf hand. This was the scrum that Cronin got carded for.
    Well it clearly wasn't stationary when Cronin pulled Bealham down. Cronin however was turned in on his hooker. He couldn't even take the pressure of the engagement so he pulled Bealham down. Clear as day.

To recap:
    1. Bealham was locked out and steady (If you look at the pic, you'll see he wasn't fully locked out, his knees were bent; enough to drive forward if needed)
    2. Cronin was turned in on his hooker (not straight and parallel)
    3. He had an illegal bind on Bealham
    4. He pulled him down. (this is as clear as day). You can see the pulling motion clearly and the cause and effect are immediate and violent.
    5. Eddie O'Sullivan is a backs coach. His knowledge of the scrum wouldn't cover a postage stamp. His motivation would be highly suspect as well seeing as he's out of a job and Munster have just said goodbye to two of their coaching staff.

btw, you won't find an analysis by Neil Treacy of this game. He didn't do one. But I never said he did. I just asked had you ever read his articles. He often describes this very situation and apart from saying it needs a fair bit of strength to do it, it's never an issue.

Love that Murray Kinsella's opinion, that it was dangerous of Bealham to lock out as he did (where Murray is clearly saying that it is dangerous for Bealham to do so as he cannot add additional power) has become dangerous play.

I've never seen someone play chinese whispers with themselves before.

Fascinating.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,555 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Munster would have won that scrum and therefore the game if Hiroo Onoda was locking out the scrum.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

Love that Murray Kinsella's opinion, that it was dangerous of Bealham to lock out as he did (where Murray is clearly saying that it is dangerous for Bealham to do so as he cannot add additional power) has become dangerous play.

Fascinating.

You see, the issue here is that most people reason things out by the following process:
    1. Gather facts
    2. Consider available information
    3. Come to conclusion

Whereas the other side in this "debate" uses the following:
    1. The conclusion is Go Munster!
    2. Google, google, google until facts are located to support step 1
    3. Where no such facts exist, do not under any circumstances deviate from step 1.
    4. Repeat steps 1-3.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭b.gud

You see, the issue here is that most people reason things out by the following process:
    1. Gather facts
    2. Consider available information
    3. Come to conclusion

Whereas the other side in this "debate" uses the following:
    1. The conclusion is Go Munster!
    2. Google, google, google until facts are located to support step 1
    3. Where no such facts exist, do not under any circumstances deviate from step 1.
    4. Repeat steps 1-3.
    5. If all else fails bring up the dual training grounds

Added 1 step that you missed

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Or this...

mile-deep-foot-wide.gif

Zzippy wrote: »
    Or this...

mile-deep-foot-wide.gif
    You have to admire the dedication though. I don't think I spent any more time on this discussion than what it took to write the posts. Most of us are posting on the basis of what we know and can see, jm08 however spent two hours looking for an article that I never said existed and even more time googling the laws on scrummaging.

It's admirable really but ultimately pointless. Ironically it reminds me of this:

duty_calls.png

The irony being who is actually wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭spurscormac

mods - any chance of a lock on this thread?
    It's circled so much I thought it would have run out of fuel by now.
    Time for an emergency landing to save lives before it crashes in a highly populated area.

• Advertisement

mods - any chance of a lock on this thread?
    It's circled so much I thought it would have run out of fuel by now.
    Time for an emergency landing to save lives before it crashes in a highly populated area.

Before it does, who do you think was scrummaging illegally Bealham or Cronin?

Who cares, we won :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭MarinersBlues

I think Bealham was fine but Buckley was breaking every rule possible on the other side.
    Whitehouse chose to ignore what was happening right in front of him and went after Cronin for no good reason at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

I think Bealham was fine but Buckley was breaking every rule possible on the other side.
    Whitehouse chose to ignore what was happening right in front of him and went after Cronin for no good reason at all.

I heard Whitehouse was reversing into a parking space outside the changing rooms and Cronin nipped in in front of him.

Neither. It was Buckley apparently. :D

You and your trick questions emmet :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭MarinersBlues

Bazzo wrote: »
    I heard Whitehouse was reversing into a parking space outside the changing rooms and Cronin nipped in in front of him.

It was an hour before the game but Nigel jumped straight out of his car and ran under the posts to award a penalty try.:D

Glad you quoted that. You missed the bit about the engagement. Cronin pulled Bealham down after the engagement. The above law doesn't require Bealham to have his legs bent at that point.

Well it clearly wasn't stationary when Cronin pulled Bealham down. Cronin however was turned in on his hooker. He couldn't even take the pressure of the engagement so he pulled Bealham down. Clear as day.

To recap:
    1. Bealham was locked out and steady (If you look at the pic, you'll see he wasn't fully locked out, his knees were bent; enough to drive forward if needed).

2. Cronin was turned in on his hooker (not straight and parallel)
    3. He had an illegal bind on Bealham
    4. He pulled him down. (this is as clear as day). You can see the pulling motion clearly and the cause and effect are immediate and violent.
    5. Eddie O'Sullivan is a backs coach. His knowledge of the scrum wouldn't cover a postage stamp. His motivation would be highly suspect as well seeing as he's out of a job and Munster have just said goodbye to two of their coaching staff.

btw, you won't find an analysis by Neil Treacy of this game. He didn't do one. But I never said he did. I just asked had you ever read his articles. He often describes this very situation and apart from saying it needs a fair bit of strength to do it, it's never an issue.

If the Munster front row didn't engage, Bealham would have fallen flat on his face. He was not supporting his own weight.

It should have been a reset, if not a free kick to Munster for pushing before the ball was put in.

Are you a scrum coach of a professional team that you feel that you can dismiss EOS's analysis?

Fascinating.

Ah sure, wasn't Murray Kinsella a centre, what would he know about the scrum ;)

Unsubscribe thread

• Administrators Posts: 53,372 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Thread is like a turd that's circling the drain. Taking the toilet brush to it, closed.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement