Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All households must be registered with a licensed waste collector by July 1

Options
  • 14-04-2016 2:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭

How enforced will this law be ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Irish Halo

Very, capital punishment is expected to be reintroduced ...

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Well it's very easy to enforce. All operators provide a list or properties they collect waste from. Unregistered properties are identified and sent a notice warning them of their requirement to register with a waste provider.

Check again 3 months later, still no registration, another warning. 3 months later it turns into a court summons.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

What's the reasoning behind this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

So people aren't fly tipping and correctly disposing of their waste as per EU requirements

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Robxxx7

What if people dispose of their household rubbish at one of the council waste transfer station ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭The Randy Riverbeast

How will this work in cities? Many people use those bags you buy for 4-5 euro and leave them out to be collected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭I wear socks

How will this work in cities? Many people use those bags you buy for 4-5 euro and leave them out to be collected.

The bags are being discontinued

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭NinetyForNone

Can I get a Link to the details?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭Bio Mech

What a load of rubbish. I refuse to sign up to this garbage.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

mansize wrote: »
    So people aren't fly tipping and correctly disposing of their waste as per EU requirements

I don't know if it will stop fly tipping though. Isn't pay-by-weight becoming mandatory? That means there will still be plenty of incentive for arseholes to throw their rubbish wherever they please to save a few quid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,964 ✭✭✭leakyboots

This is bull if they bring this in.

I'd say we recycle more than most houses - we recycle EVERYTHING - paper, plastic, glass, cardboard, batteries, electronics, broken cutlery, scrap metals... at our local recycling centre for a fiver a pop. We used to be able to recycle our plastics at a bottle drop on the street but they took away the plastics bin because... people were using it too much... (only in Ireland would they penalise you for this) and they wanted people to go to the recycling centre and pay their fiver.

Our 'dirty' bin of food goes a Mr Binman pay-as-you-go thingy at a petrol station, we wait til our wheelie bin (old spare one from home) is full and we bring it - I'd say we've spent 80-100e on bins in nearly 3 years.

They can f**k off if they think I'm playing Mr Binman €250+ a year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

maudgonner wrote: »
    I don't know if it will stop fly tipping though. Isn't pay-by-weight becoming mandatory? That means there will still be plenty of incentive for arseholes to throw their rubbish wherever they please to save a few quid.

Pay by weight is a nightmare. I'd guess that half the weight of our bin comes from ashes out of the fire.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

What's the reasoning behind this?

Have a look at county wicklow, theres your answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭Speedwell

Jayop wrote: »
    Pay by weight is a nightmare. I'd guess that half the weight of our bin comes from ashes out of the fire.

And the other half of ours comes from cat litter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭xabi

Robxxx7 wrote: »
    What if people dispose of their household rubbish at one of the council waste transfer station ?

I remember reading that you have to prove that you have disposed of the waste, if you don't have a collector.

Speedwell wrote: »

Yikes!! Yeah my dirty bin is emptied once a fortnight and it weighs an absolute tonne and that's without me stuffing it or squashing the stuff down. We clearly just have heavy rubbish! :confused:

I don't disagree with the sentiment of the OP having people registered or proving where they dump legally as some of the road sides are a disgrace with scummy people dumping their crap, but pay by weight just seems an unreasonable punishment to those doing it legally. There's no way it'll get cheaper and I'm already paying around €350 a year in Sligo.

xabi wrote: »
    I remember reading that you have to prove that you have disposed of the waste, if you don't have a collector.

Yep. Just hold onto receipts or whatever from recycling facilities. For food waste/composting you just need to show that you have a composter at home.
    Jayop wrote:
    Yikes!! Yeah my dirty bin is emptied once a fortnight and it weighs an absolute tonne and that's without me stuffing it or squashing the stuff down. We clearly just have heavy rubbish!
    How many people is that? For two adults and one child, we average around 45kg a month, of which around 35% is "dirty" waste. The stuff that goes in compost is actually incredibly heavy by volume.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,412 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

leakyboots wrote: »
    This is bull if they bring this in.

I'd say we recycle more than most houses - we recycle EVERYTHING - paper, plastic, glass, cardboard, batteries, electronics, broken cutlery, scrap metals... at our local recycling centre for a fiver a pop. We used to be able to recycle our plastics at a bottle drop on the street but they took away the plastics bin because... people were using it too much... (only in Ireland would they penalise you for this) and they wanted people to go to the recycling centre and pay their fiver.

Our 'dirty' bin of food goes a Mr Binman pay-as-you-go thingy at a petrol station, we wait til our wheelie bin (old spare one from home) is full and we bring it - I'd say we've spent 80-100e on bins in nearly 3 years.

They can f**k off if they think I'm playing Mr Binman €250+ a year

I imagine you will be find as long as you have a recite for the recycling. We are big recyclers as well and only put the out once a month or less and even then its not full. We have a system of pay per life the less lifts you use the less you pay it a good system as it encourages recycling.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭HensVassal

Oh bollox.....another layer in the control net and as usual the apologists fall for the fabricated resoning.

Is it illegal for me to dispose of my rubbish by driving to a tip and dumping it there?

mariaalice wrote: »
    I imagine you will be find as long as you have a recite for the recycling. We are big recyclers as well and only put the out once a month or less and even then its not full. We have a system of pay per life the less lifts you use the less you pay it a good system as it encourages recycling.

Pay by lift I have no issue with. Pay by weight on the other hand Grrrr!!

• Advertisement

And how pray tell will this stop someone fly tipping?
    I'm curious to know.

HensVassal wrote: »
    Is it illegal for me to dispose of my rubbish by driving to a tip and dumping it there?
    No, but it's expensive.

There are no free public tips any more.

I'm curious to know.

No receipt for waste disposal equals fine

• Registered Users Posts: 12,412 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

If you use a composter and recycle everything it is possible to nearly get rid of all the waste with out punting it in a bin, cooked food scraps and non recycle packaging is the big issue.

I'm curious to know.

Why would they fly tip if they are paying for rubbish collection?

No receipt for waste disposal equals fine

What are you on about? A guy drives out along a country road, dumps an old mattress in a ditch and drives off. That's fly-tipping. What's receipts got to do with anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,419 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

maudgonner wrote: »

I know Wexford Co Co and probably others have officially objected to the idea of pay by weight.
    It's another one of these schemes that everyone knows is madness but will go ahead anyway.

What are you on about? A guy drives out along a country road, dumps an old mattress in a ditch and drives off. That's fly-tipping. What's receipts got to do with anything?

You have to seen to disposing of your rubbish correctly

Jayop wrote: »
    Why would they fly tip if they are paying for rubbish collection?

To dump crap that they would pay extra for to have collected?

• Advertisement

Speedwell wrote: »

Shouldn't that be in the compost bin?

Advertisement