Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Airport New Runway/Infrastructure.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

When DA becomes A380 compatible, does anyone know if EI have ever expressed interest in (or ruled out) running them? The SFO route alone seems - anytime I'm on it anyway - like it could double or triple the amount of available business class seats and still sell most of them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Simon2015

Will the new runway be big enough for an A380 ?

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭lovelyhurler

HI All,

Don't know if this has been mentioned before (or indeed if this is the right topic), but on Google Street view now, for EIDW, you can go all around the airport - both landside and airside. Some fantastic shots/views there, particularly from the taxi ways and runways.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭Neilw

Does anyone have any information on what's going to happen to residents close to the airport?

There were enviromental impact studies done some years ago when the new runway was planned which included the options of sound insulation or in some cases a buyout.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭KwackerJack

Simon2015 wrote: »
    Will the new runway be big enough for an A380 ?

Fully loaded? I doubt it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,107 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Where to start....

Aer Lingus will NEVER have A380's no argument or debate needed.

The existing runway is currently A380 capable, and the new Runway will be 500m infact longer than the existing DUB runway and just 89m shorter than Shannon's Runway.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Carnacalla wrote: »
    Where to start....

Aer Lingus will NEVER have A380's no argument or debate needed.

The existing runway is currently A380 capable, and the new Runway will be 500m infact longer than the existing DUB runway and just 89m shorter than Shannon's Runway.

On EI - why not?

MJohnston wrote: »
    On EI - why not?

It would be absolute commercial suicide. EI have trouble filling A330's on quieter days, with the A380 you could practically close the upper deck for 6 months of the year.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,704 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

MJohnston wrote: »
    On EI - why not?

Absolutely zero need for them now or under any forseeable future needs.

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭TheFitz13

They need to make sure the new taxiways and runways are more wide as apposed to the current runway and it's taxiways.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 84 ✭✭Goat Paddock

Carnacalla wrote: »
    It would be absolute commercial suicide. EI have trouble filling A330's on quieter days, with the A380 you could practically close the upper deck for 6 months of the year.

Isn't Dublin to London the busiest international flight? Why not service it with the biggest plane?

Isn't Dublin to London the busiest international flight? Why not service it with the biggest plane?

It was the third busiest city to city pairing at one stage.

Many reasons, here's some of them.

*6 London airports, demand is spread between 5 of those, not one airport has over 50%.
    *Business class market is muck compared to routes like JFK, so you couldn't use the same config for Long-Haul and Short-Haul.
    *People value frequency, not capacity, 4 daily A380 services are nothing in terms of choice compared to 13 A320 services.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Not everyone wants to travel at the same time, hence smaller aircraft more times per day

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Just listening to that CEO of Dublin Airport - very annoying, sounds exactly like a politician, answer dodging.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,668 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

vicwatson wrote: »
    Just listening to that CEO of Dublin Airport - very annoying, sounds exactly like a politician, answer dodging.

What do you want to know....

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

So it's not long enough then?
    The B777 8x ultra long range model will be okay?

Aircraft only need to use long runways if they are going to use their full range. A380/B777/A350 going to Middle East/US West Coast is maybe 50-70% of their range, so no huge issues with current runway length.
    Chances of seeing DUB getting direct 12-15 hours flights might be a little slim in the next 10 years. Not to say it will never happen mind you.
    The B777 8x could make it direct from Dublin to Australia, alot of Irish people there :)
    Doesn't mean it will happen however. Might not be enough demand to fill a direct flight, especially with all the existing connections from DUB currently and in the future.
    Frequency, not capacity is important on LON-DUB.

And using a very expensive longhaul aircraft on a very short sector is a very easy way to lose money. Why not use your Ferrari for the school run? Its a bit blunt but thats the analogy, use the aircraft designed for the job at hand.

I wonder about building 28R/10L and post 2020 extending and rebuilding existing 28/10 using a new planning proposal?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭man98

I'm aware of the limitations of pax services, but a runway stands for decades. I'm aware that the EI Cargo facility will be knocked in the next decade or so, but would a second runway not represent a time to attract in cargo perhaps, if the market recovers from this lull? With ACL based at the airport, it does make some commercial sense, perhaps, for cargo flights to Leipzig, Memphis or Cincinnati in the medium term, or with another sharp spike in fuel costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Tenger wrote: »

I wonder about building 28R/10L and post 2020 extending and rebuilding existing 28/10 using a new planning proposal?

The existing 28/10 is in pretty poor shape and I think part of the whole plan is to do a LOT of work on it once the new runway is built.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,421 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Maybe a silly noob question, but as I understand it runway nomenclature depends on the orientation of the runways, i.e. 28R/10L is either pointing 280 deg or 100 deg from North depending on which direction your looking. So if you build a new runway that is parallel to the old one, what is that called?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,284 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

I would imagine there would be something built into the plan so that when the new runway is finished and open then the old one can be brought up to scratch before the airport hits a point where it can't function without two runways

• Advertisement

Alun wrote: »
    Maybe a silly noob question, but as I understand it runway nomenclature depends on the orientation of the runways, i.e. 28R/10L is either pointing 280 deg or 100 deg from North depending on which direction your looking. So if you build a new runway that is parallel to the old one, what is that called?

north and south runways Id imagine

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

The existing 28/10 is in pretty poor shape and I think part of the whole plan is to do a LOT of work on it once the new runway is built.

There is material on the DAA website saying that it will receive an overlay on a phased basis over about 18 months, starting this year. http://www.dublinairport.com/gns/about-us/north-runway/airfield.aspx

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

28 L /10 R
    28 R /10 L

KoolKid wrote: »
    28 L /10 R
    28 R /10 L
    I'm a bit confused now, I didn't realise the L and R referred to left and right runways with the same orientation. If there's only one currently why use the L and R? And when there are two, which one is L and which one is R, does it depend on their relation to each other when coming in to land or taking off?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭man98

I'm a bit confused now, I didn't realise the L and R referred to left and right runways with the same orientation. If there's only one currently why use the L and R? And when there are two, which one is L and which one is R, does it depend on their relation to each other when coming in to land or taking off?
    From the west, the north runway appears to the left (10L), however from the east it appears to the right (28R).

man98 wrote: »
    From the west, the north runway appears to the left (10L), however from the east it appears to the right (28R).

nice one, that actually wouldn't have occurred to me but makes perfect sense when I read it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,806 ✭✭✭billie1b

The runway at the moment is named 28/10 and 10/28, it has no left or right bearing. When the new runway is built it will be 28R/10L and the old one will become 28L/10R. The easiest way to understand why, if your standing at the top of both of them from the eastern end, one will be on your left shoulder and one on your right shoulder, so 28L and 28R, then in you're standing at the top of them on the western end they'll be 10L and 10R.

10L is the end of 28R and 10R is the end of 28L and 28L is the end of 10R and 28R is the end of 10L.

Thanks, I think I get it now ... good job I'm not a pilot, I'd be landing on the wrong one!

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭medoc

Just curious as to how often the 16/34 "cross wind" runway is used. I mean when it's needed because of wind as opposed to any other planned closure of the main runway. Is Dublin ever likely to need a second runway on the 16/34 alignment?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

medoc wrote: »
    Just curious as to how often the 16/34 "cross wind" runway is used. I mean when it's needed because of wind as opposed to any other planned closure of the main runway. Is Dublin ever likely to need a second runway on the 16/34 alignment?

This has been discussed before on this or other threads. There are some stats in (IALPA?) submissions made to the planning authorities but that may require some searching.

Advertisement