Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Airport New Runway/Infrastructure.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭billie1b

Strumms wrote: »
    Dublin airport is such a cluster **** when it comes to long term planning. Been working there in some capacity there on and off for the guts of 20 years and there has never been any point where a certain part of it hasn't represented a building site at some point... Pier C is a prime example which lasted how long exactly ? If you had a suspicious mind you might begin to wonder if certain people high up within the DAA might have friends, family or certain interests in the construction business as people cannot be seriously that bad over a long period of time at planning ? What they have spent in total would probably make your eyes water and a lot of it from what I see would be just knocking down or changing things from stands to infrastructure that were only recently built. You just don't see that happening at other airports certainly at the scale it happens at DUB.

There's an aul saying around here, 'if you want a job for life, get a job as a DAA building contractor' :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,672 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Dublin airport is such a cluster **** when it comes to long term planning. Been working there in some capacity there on and off for the guts of 20 years and there has never been any point where a certain part of it hasn't represented a building site at some point... Pier C is a prime example which lasted how long exactly ? If you had a suspicious mind you might begin to wonder if certain people high up within the DAA might have friends, family or certain interests in the construction business as people cannot be seriously that bad over a long period of time at planning ? What they have spent in total would probably make your eyes water and a lot of it from what I see would be just knocking down or changing things from stands to infrastructure that were only recently built. You just don't see that happening at other airports certainly at the scale it happens at DUB.

Beleive it or not airlines do not want to pay for such long term planning, both EI/FR who carry around 75% of total traffic are able to bend the regulators ears so they will not approve projects......

• Registered Users Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

In all my years travelling, I have yet to travel to an airport that had not got some form of construction going on. DUB, is the size of a reasonably large Irish town and I have yet to encounter a town where wasn't some form of construction taking place.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,114 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Pat Dunne wrote: »
    I have yet to encounter a town where wasn't some form of construction taking place.

You obviously haven't been in the west between 2008-2015 :)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,733 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Dublin airport is such a cluster **** when it comes to long term planning. Been working there in some capacity there on and off for the guts of 20 years and there has never been any point where a certain part of it hasn't represented a building site at some point... Pier C is a prime example which lasted how long exactly ? .....

I am in agreement....however I many years ago watched a Billy Connoly gig and he made the same point....."has anyone ever been to an airport that they have actually finished?"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭Ben D Bus

I remember hearing Heathrow referred to as the only building site in the world with it's own airport.

But really it applies to all successful airports.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭jamo2oo9

Tenger wrote: »
    I am in agreement....however I many years ago watched a Billy Connoly gig and he made the same point....."has anyone ever been to an airport that they have actually finished?"

Kai Tak in Hong Kong could be considered one? Granted it did close down and was moved but technically, it was finished when it was closed down in late 90's

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,733 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

jamo2oo9 wrote: »
    Kai Tak in Hong Kong could be considered one? Granted it did close down and was moved but technically, it was finished when it was closed down in late 90's

Dammit, he found my hair to spilt!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Stevek101

Any idea where these new gates in Pier D are to be located?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Jack1985

Stevek101 wrote: »

Swords.

• Advertisement

Stevek101 wrote: »

Supposedly they are buiding a satellite with 6-8 gates heading north coming out from the area of gate 109R - 110L, the entrance to it will be by lift and moving stairs just across from Leopolds

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Stevek101

Memories of those sweat-box prefabs back in the day. When is it due to be completed or have they only applied for planning?

The end of D is already a mess with so many gates bundled together.

billie1b wrote: »
    Supposedly they are buiding a satellite with 6-8 gates heading north coming out from the area of gate 109R - 110L, the entrance to it will be by lift and moving stairs just across from Leopolds

I thought it was an extension west from 121 then northwest to 119L ?

The "extra" gates I also thought were the new 5G stands and were bus gates.

Don't think a planning application has been launched for D yet however A will have expanded busing facilities so one would expect passengers to be bused out of A for 5G.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,864 ✭✭✭trellheim

hold on a sec I'm assuming this is to cover off morning peaks ? even if the wind is right ATC don't seem to bother running the dual take offs on 28 and 34 that used to happen so what point is building more capacity if ATC cant get them away

This is the construction zone for Pier D extension, sorry about the crap pictures

93AAF816-2D49-40B7-AD42-D63C9D0C2F02_zpsxcu2dy3s.jpg

D07C066B-369A-445D-9C43-15892033BD6A_zpsapw0vomo.jpg

trellheim wrote: »
    hold on a sec I'm assuming this is to cover off morning peaks ? even if the wind is right ATC don't seem to bother running the dual take offs on 28 and 34 that used to happen so what point is building more capacity if ATC cant get them away

ATC only use dual runways when the wind is favourable ie north of 270 degs as not enough aircraft want to use it if it's south of this and it reduces flexibility by having it as a runway not being used.

This is the construction zone for Pier D extension, sorry about the crap pictures

Billie all they are doing there is removing the top layer of the taxiway to rehabilitate it and installing green taxiway lights. They are not building a terminal extension.

http://iaip.iaa.ie/iaip/Frame1.htm SUP (top left) 24/15

Billie all they are doing there is removing the top layer of the taxiway to rehabilitate it and installing green taxiway lights. They are not building a terminal extension.

http://iaip.iaa.ie/iaip/Frame1.htm SUP (top left) 24/15

Yeah that's exactly what we heard and thought that it was too but two days ago according to the builders that's where they are putting the new satellite on to the building, he seemed pretty adamant about it. Could be wrong though

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Why can't we just do what many other countries do and have these remote stands and a few shuttle buses? Saves on the building works of a new pier and could mean we leave R16/34 intact.

• Advertisement

Yeah that's exactly what we heard and thought that it was too but two days ago according to the builders that's where they are putting the new satellite on to the building, he seemed pretty adamant about it. Could be wrong though

That would be a loss of stands and a loss of a taxi lane.

Why can't we just do what many other countries do and have these remote stands and a few shuttle buses?

That's exactly what they are doing though.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭davebuck

The DAA talked about a new master plan a while back for the airport anyone in the know have an insight into how much work is really going on?
    We all know about the new runway but no firm plan announced!!!
    Parking stands and pier space must be very tight Aer Lingus recently said they are talking to the DAA about such issues. Surely they should have had the next master plan out by now?????

• Registered Users Posts: 9,277 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Seen this in the paper about funding for the runway.

http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/dublin-airport-could-get-new-runway-daa-looking-at-bond-funding-34557545.html

Obviously central government does not want to help out with this one.

cgcsb wrote: »
    Seen this in the paper about funding for the runway.

http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/dublin-airport-could-get-new-runway-daa-looking-at-bond-funding-34557545.html

Obviously central government does not want to help out with this one.

They shouldn't be helping either

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭bronn

Quick question, for those in the know. I recently took an Aer Lingus regional flight from Gate 333 (possibly 334 - can't remember). The bus picked us up from outside the door, drove underneath the Pier E bridge, all the way up Pier E, all the way back down Pier E, brought us back to where we started from and then headed off out to where the little planes live. Every time I've departed from those gates, the same thing has happened. Why?

I don't mind because I like having a snoop around he airfield but still, it's the very definition of the scenic route. :pac: Just wondering why this happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭VG31

bronn wrote: »
    Quick question, for those in the know. I recently took an Aer Lingus regional flight from Gate 333 (possibly 334 - can't remember). The bus picked us up from outside the door, drove underneath the Pier E bridge, all the way up Pier E, all the way back down Pier E, brought us back to where we started from and then headed off out to where the little planes live. Every time I've departed from those gates, the same thing has happened. Why?

I don't mind because I like having a snoop around he airfield but still, it's the very definition of the scenic route. :pac: Just wondering why this happens.

It's due to a one way traffic system as far as I know. The bus can't just turn around at the gate.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Mebuntu

From the Aircoach the other day I noticed that there is some work being done on the field just on the northern side of the 28 approach lights, quite close to them, in fact. Anyone know what they're doing?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭jamo2oo9

Mebuntu wrote: »
    From the Aircoach the other day I noticed that there is some work being done on the field just on the northern side of the 28 approach lights, quite close to them, in fact. Anyone know what they're doing?

Mentioned before, they're putting in drainage.

• Advertisement

jamo2oo9 wrote: »
    Mentioned before, they're putting in drainage.

Building 4 new stands as an extension of the old cargo area.

Advertisement