Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Airport New Runway/Infrastructure.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,755 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Breaking story on Newstalk.ie - new runway has been announced for Dublin Airport.

Details not online yet - or at least I haven't been able to see them...

Edited:

It's here: http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/dublin-airport-to-get-new-320m-runway-supporting-1200-jobs-during-construction-34606750.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭peejay1986

Would the new runaway be able to cater for larger aircraft? Doesn't look too much longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,668 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Looks like they want their new runway by 2020

Dublin Airport to get new 320m runway

but other than the headline, nothing new really,

they are still deciding if they use their existing planning permission, or to re-evaluate and apply again.

Using current

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭pclive

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,902 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Using current

Aye, but there are still 2 restrictions they'd like lifted,

I believe I read somewhere that these restrictions will mean parallel ops will be limited at certain times of the day??

• Advertisement

tippman1 wrote: »
    Breaking story on Newstalk.ie - new runway has been announced for Dublin Airport.

Details not online yet - or at least I haven't been able to see them...

Edited:

It's here: http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/dublin-airport-to-get-new-320m-runway-supporting-1200-jobs-during-construction-34606750.html

Already a huge topic on new Dublin airport infrastructure which includes about half a dozen comments on this announcement.

Already a huge topic on new Dublin airport infrastructure which includes about half a dozen comments on this announcement.

Yeah, should have posted there......in my haste I overlooked that thread. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 22 kevin711

Very early days, guess we gotta wait to see the detail..
    However, if DAA's image is correct, the new runway threshold markings appear to show a SHORTER runway than 10/28; maybe the 'new 3000 metre' runway is a bit of a red herring?

Also, The Journal have a graphic to suggest same?
    Their diagram also shows all the land that DAA own - but it seems DAA don't plan to extend a new runway west past the L3132 at St. Margarets, even though they own the land....?

Hmm..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭KwackerJack

Sorry but will this not be a 3rd runway?

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭ned14

kevin711 wrote: »
    However, if DAA's image is correct, the new runway threshold markings appear to show a SHORTER runway than 10/28; maybe the 'new 3000 metre' runway is a bit of a red herring?

Their diagram also shows all the land that DAA own - but it seems DAA don't plan to extend a new runway west past the L3132 at St. Margarets, even though they own the land....?

Hmm..

Looking at the planning application (publically available from Fingal Co. Co. here http://documents.fingalcoco.ie/NorthgatePublicDocs/00047239.pdf) It looks like there is a displaced threshold at 28R end of 450m, and 10L end of 280m.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

kevin711 wrote: »

Hmm..

For aircraft taking off it shouldn't matter, and that's the main issue to do with the subject of runway length.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,546 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Sorry but will this not be a 3rd runway?

They mean second main runway - as posted elsewhere the media would only get confused.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 84 ✭✭Goat Paddock

donvito99 wrote: »
    For aircraft taking off it shouldn't matter, and that's the main issue to do with the subject of runway length.

Is the runway long enough for the A380 or even upcoming Boeing ultra long haul jets

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,902 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Is the runway long enough for the A380 or even upcoming Boeing ultra long haul jets

current 10/28 is long enough for an A380, just not a fully loaded one.

current 10/28 is long enough for an A380, just not a fully loaded one.

So it's not long enough then?
    The B777 8x ultra long range model will be okay?

https://www.flightglobal.com/news/articles/boeing-reveals-ultra-long-range-777-8x-387108/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭KwackerJack

lxflyer wrote: »
    They mean second main runway - as posted elsewhere the media would only get confused.

I did think that but when a cross wind hits then 16-35 would technically be the main RW

Anyway, will this be for the current aircraft or will we get to see the big boys coming back in?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

It will be longer than the current main runway anyway, don't know if it will be longer than Shannon.

I did think that but when a cross wind hits then 16-35 would technically be the main RW

Anyway, will this be for the current aircraft or will we get to see the big boys coming back in?

Explaining the cross-wind runway I think to Joe Bloggs would be difficult.

Easier just to refer to a second runway - it's just shorthand for second main runway.

Keep it simple!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

Shannon 3199m

New 28R/10L 3110m
    Current 28/10 2637m

• Advertisement

A new runway caters to these aircraft. By the time it's finished, it's likely there'll be an Emirates scheduled A380 anyway.

There are few if any routes that are feasible at present that demand a longer runway.

lxflyer wrote: »
    Explaining the cross-wind runway I think to Joe Bloggs would be difficult.

Easier just to refer to a second runway - it's just shorthand for second main runway.

Keep it simple!!

In fairness nowadays I think most people are reasonably cognisant of things like crosswinds and for those who aren't, it's not too hard a concept to explain

Never under-estimate other folks.

In fairness nowadays I think most people are reasonably cognisant of things like crosswinds and for those who aren't, it's not too hard a concept to explain

You would be surprised.

I recently took a straw poll of about a dozen people who wouldn't have a particular interest in aviation and asked them what dictated the direction aircraft landed or took off.

Not one realised it was due to the wind direction.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,143 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

I'm sorry but I very much under-estimate other folk, while there are some people out there switched on enough to cop these things, the majority aren't..... All you have to do is read comments under news items on Facebook..... Alternatively take up a job directly dealing with the public.......

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭BonkeyDonker

A new runway caters to these aircraft. By the time it's finished, it's likely there'll be an Emirates scheduled A380 anyway.

There are few if any routes that are feasible at present that demand a longer runway.

This. A route(s) to China direct is all that is really missing at the moment and anything beyond that would require a stop anyway I would imagine, so is already covered by the existing flights through Dubai etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,743 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

so after this is built and flights are scheduled based on there being 2 runways, what happens when there are cross winds?

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭LiamaDelta

loyatemu wrote: »
    so after this is built and flights are scheduled based on there being 2 runways, what happens when there are cross winds?

Loads of delays and cancellations!!

This. A route(s) to China direct is all that is really missing at the moment and anything beyond that would require a stop anyway I would imagine, so is already covered by the existing flights through Dubai etc.

The B777 8x could make it direct from Dublin to Australia, alot of Irish people there :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

... but better than a complete shutdown due to wind and a better option than removing 16/34 when its there, in good condition, and gets a reasonable bit of use.

• Advertisement

The B777 8x could make it direct from Dublin to Australia, alot of Irish people there :)

There's lots of Irish there for sure, but that's not the way the industry is going any time soon. There won't be a DUB-SYD, but there'll be plenty doing DUB-DXB/AUH/LHR/FRA/IST/etc-SYD.

The 778x will have plenty of legs, but so does the 772LR and these are heaped in with all other widebodies doing DXB-Europe. The performance of an aircraft isn't as important as it used to be, but may well be in the future if it's economical enough, or if JetA1 stays as low as it is.

Advertisement