Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Airport New Runway/Infrastructure.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Idbatterim wrote: »
    March passenger numbers up 17% year on year. 2.1 million in March...
    I expect we will see a proportional drop in April pax numbers YoY. Due to no Easter in April this year

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭jlang

So does Dublin really need a new control tower to run the two runways or is O'Leary right that they're gold plating the development?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭Brian CivilEng

Tenger wrote: »
    I expect we will see a proportional drop in April pax numbers YoY. Due to no Easter in April this year

I wouldn't think so, Easter is only responsible for about an extra 50,000 passengers and apr is usually around 2000000. I'd still expect double figures growth this month.

jlang wrote: »
    So does Dublin really need a new control tower to run the two runways or is O'Leary right that they're gold plating the development?

Yes it does, not enough controller working positions in the new tower for a 2nd runway and its way to short to see new runway as required.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,107 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Never quite understood the Irish planners phobia of tall buildings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭MICKEYG

Idbatterim wrote: »
    March passenger numbers up 17% year on year. 2.1 million in March...

I think we may be becoming immune to how good these numbers are. Very impressive.

I wonder will we see some significant terminal works.
    New 500 gates (new pier for terminal 2).
    Rebuild of 300 and 400 gates.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 denis halpenny

Wudnt it be a good idea to double the viewing area along the main runway its so popular with the public. Any other ideas?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,902 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

How about a bar/restaurant I between the 2 runways, with a family area/viewing area, something like they have at Manchester Airport.

You could then expand it by housing a few retired AC there for the viewing public!
    A sort of aviation museum if you like.

Could be a great opportunity for the current owners of the Boot Inn.

Put a half decent kitchen in, an elevated viewing deck, decent parking, a few decent models (planes, steady now) and the place could be a gold mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 denis halpenny

ha ha good man yes sounds good ok

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Wudnt it be a good idea to double the viewing area along the main runway its so popular with the public. Any other ideas?
    From an enthusiasts point of view this sounds lovely....however from the authorities point of view this is a pointless addition to an already problematic planning application.
    Nice to have rather than need to have.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Yes it does, not enough controller working positions in the new tower for a 2nd runway and its way to short to see new runway as required.

I agree with the controller positions but the view from the tower is perfect for both runways. It is currently 843 m from the centreline of RWY28 and is about 850 m from the centreline of the new runway. It might be around 300 m further away from the approach end of the new RWY28R than the current one but its position would be on a par with many other airports.

Of course it's a all mute point as the controller-position limitation means a new one is required anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Jack1985

Can we drop the O'Leary soundbites to any infrastructural growth of DUB? This being the same guy who promised us that T2 would be empty for years despite operating over planned capacity YoY.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭Brian CivilEng

I agree with the controller positions but the view from the tower is perfect for both runways. It is currently 843 m from the centreline of RWY28 and is about 850 m from the centreline of the new runway. It might be around 300 m further away from the approach end of the new RWY28R than the current one but its position would be on a par with many other airports.

Of course it's a all mute point as the controller-position limitation means a new one is required anyway.

Pier 1 means the existing tower can't see the threshold of the new runway.
    How about a bar/restaurant I between the 2 runways, with a family area/viewing area, something like they have at Manchester Airport.

An expansion to The Boot Inn maybe!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭jimbis

Who owns the boot inn? surely if it's privately owned then the daa will be looking for that land at some point. Perfect opportunity for the owners to strike a deal with some sort of viewing area restaurant/cafe or whatever.
    I know I keep mentioning a viewing area but I just think it's a win win opportunity.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,806 ✭✭✭billie1b

The Boot Inn is a listed building in Ireland, DAA cant touch it even if they wanted to, thats why everything is built around it. Same as the castle ruins up the road from it, Dunshoughley Castle, can't be touched either.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,902 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

billie1b wrote: »
    The Boot Inn is a listed building in Ireland, DAA cant touch it even if they wanted to, thats why everything is built around it. Same as the castle ruins up the road from it, Dunshoughley Castle, can't be touched either.

even better then, they are both there to stay,

How about someone invests in the area around the Boot Inn (not necessarily DAA) and expand it to a restaurant/viewing area/aviation museum type place. It doesn't have to be massive. Dublin/Ireland is crying out for something like this, especially given our history in aviation.

even better then, they are both there to stay,

How about someone invests in the area around the Boot Inn (not necessarily DAA) and expand it to a restaurant/viewing area/aviation museum type place. It doesn't have to be massive. Dublin/Ireland is crying out for something like this, especially given our history in aviation.

Unfortunately people within 3 miles of the perimeter fence are prohibited in extending, building etc new or old buildings, if you want to do anything you have to seek permission from the DAA, which the people of Cloghran will tell you are 'the worst people to deal with', unless its in DAA's interests it most likely will not happen

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

billie1b wrote: »

So was Corballis House.....

So was Corballis House.....

Yeah but it was on Airport property and owned by the airport, The Boot Inn is privately owned and not on Airport property, its around since the 1600's, Corballis was only around since the 1900's, not that much heritage.
    Saying that, I totally understand if DAA got their hands on the Boot, the castle ruins and the remaining 13 cottages that they dont own they would have no problem in demolishing the whole town of Cloghran

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭de biz

Background Article published in the Irish Independent 11/10/2007:

http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/airport-row-hits-terminal-velocity-26324160.html

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭Avada

Interesting that in 2007, it was predicted passenger numbers would hit 32m by 2017/18. With current growth that is more than achievable, despite the recession in the intervening period.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭jamo2oo9

Just curious, where is Boot Inn? According to Google maps, there's one in Ballycoolin Industrial Estate but that's not near enough to the airport to be considered as an inconvenience for development?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭Ben D Bus

jamo2oo9 wrote: »
    Just curious, where is Boot Inn? According to Google maps, there's one in Ballycoolin Industrial Estate but that's not near enough to the airport to be considered as an inconvenience for development?

https://goo.gl/maps/gcoscar2mi62

• Registered Users Posts: 10,034 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

Hint for terminal 1.... Not sure if the floor covering around the car hire desks towards BOI is new or old, but get rid of it, for whatever reason it makes pushing a baggage cart the same as pushing it through slush!

The last time that I went to the Boot Inn, it appeared lifeless and closed, so I'm not sure how much business they are doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,808 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

called in to the Boot for the one an only time about 2 years ago. Had passed there on loads of occasions and remembered a sign for soup and sandwiches so for lunch we decided to take a spin there for something different. The place was filthy and despite the old rotting sign that was still there, they didn't do soup or sandwiches. The was one barman and one punter watching Keeping Up Appearances on the TV. Somewhat ironic as the place didn't seem to have been given so much of a lick of paint in decades.

As for infrastructure it would surly be a good idea to get rid of all the cargo warehouses, Aer Lingus, Swissport, WFS etc and all that space down there and extend T2 down there. Just looking at google maps and to my untrained eye on these matters you could get a sizable terminal extension / pier with about 5-6 stands with airbridges at least a couple of widebodys suitable also. Relocate cargo to the west apron area.

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭TheFitz13

Is there any plans for area 14?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

I may be completely wrong on this, but I have a vague memory that DAA owns the Boot Inn, and it's leased to the present tenants, but that may be completely off the wall. Location wise, it's close to where Iona used to operate (and don't start me on how that was another massive opportunity that was completely missed by Aer Rianta), about 200 Metres from the entrance to the tower and Fire station, and the 3 hangars on the North side. There's a ramp equipment maintenance facility next to the Boot Inn, the rest of the cottages there are bricked up and uninhabited, and realistically, moving the maintenance site would be relatively easy. The only other activity in that area is the access for the Coastguard Helicopter site, which is in use 24/7. The road that passes the location comes from the St Margarets end of the airport, and goes up to near the Naul Road roundabout, that section of the road will have to be replaced by a new road that's on the drawing, coming on the south side of the new runway. What's not clear is if the existing access from St Margaret's roundabout will be retained or not, if the plan I saw for the cargo ramp etc at that end goes ahead, it won't be.

There was a plan rattling around a few years ago to put up a cargo facility at the western end of the runways, with some GA size hangars there as well. I don't know if that is still an intention or not, if it was done properly, it could make a lot of sense, apart from the distance from the rest of the ramp, which could make it difficult to operate, in terms of location for ramp staff.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

Few Pictures of The Boot

FF2F7BC5-7C06-4170-BE4D-73173F77AA62_zpsed0o8qs8.jpg

37C302A5-5E06-415A-A8D3-3FFB2BAFC3AC_zps9gmijjsx.jpg

1A325743-EBAB-42C1-9D51-2DA734C164A2_zps5rkx6ik3.jpg

1A325743-EBAB-42C1-9D51-2DA734C164A2_zps5rkx6ik3.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,849 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

Is jets around there too?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    Is jets around there too?

A VERY long time ago it was, at the back of the Boot Inn site, but I don't think it's operating any more (from what I'm being told by my daughter, who used to go there over 20 years ago :D.)

On a different aspect of the changes, I'm just waiting for SIPTU (most likely) to put an outrageous claim in on behalf of their members that will be forced to travel (slightly) further to work as a result of the re alignment of the road to get into the control tower area. It was being hinted at a while back, now the plans are actually on paper, you may be sure that the wheels are turning on it again. I can almost see the headlines now "Dublin Airport closed by strike over travel allowances".

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

Advertisement