Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Panama Papers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,884 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

I'm just waiting for the libertarian apologetics to begin.

Hmm...all's quiet on the Galt's Gulch front...I'd understand if they want to keep their heads down. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

11 million +flies
    going to be hearing about this for a long time

• Registered Users Posts: 12,522 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Yes. The purpose of these sub company's was to charge fees for fake services rendered.

Company A makes 100k in profit. Company pays tax on that profit. If owner then takes the remaining money, they get roughly half.

This company charges 100k in fees. Takes a small percent and drops it into a bank account. No tax paid as no profit was made, money can be moved back or spent elsewhere.
    Not sure how the money could suddenly be moved back, I assume its far more complex than that.
    touts wrote: »
    Does it matter? In most countries if it was illegal they would go to jail. In this country if what they did was illegal they'll just go do some gardening for a couple of years and then start to rehabilitate their image by appearing on the various Saturday and Sunday radio show "expert" panels.
    Yes it matters. What a bizarre tangent you've gone on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Valetta

NIMAN wrote: »
    I have no doubt no-one with see jail time over this.

Why are the mega rich not happy being mega rich and want more?

That's how they got rich in the first place.

Having said that, I have a couple of off-shore accounts and was rightly pissed off not to see my name mentioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Reddit live thread, if anyone is interested. Possibly the best feed for keeping up with it globally.
    I found this on that link. It seems the Kremlin saw this coming last week.
    https://www.rt.com/politics/337450-putins-spokesman-warns-of-fresh/?utm_source=browser&utm_medium=aplication_chrome&utm_campaign=chrome#.VvlNz3X5UhA.twitter
    It appears the press have dropped the 'Putin bombs hospitals, creches, kittens, puppies etc" stories and are now taking a new approach.
    This is nothing to do with tax evasion - the rich always find a way to hide their loot.
    11 million +flies
    going to be hearing about this for a long time
    Yeah. like flies around s**t!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭groovyg

Reddit live thread, if anyone is interested. Possibly the best feed for keeping up with it globally.
    They are on the ball alright.

https://www.reddit.com/r/dataisbeautiful/comments/4d8q4u/panama_papers_where_the_money_is_hiding/

Protests organized in Iceland after work.

7,000 people have said they'll attend (but likely will be more). For a country of 323,000, that is pretty impressive.
    groovyg wrote: »

322 companies in Ireland? 36 clients. Interesting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

AdamD wrote: »
    Has it even been confirmed whether any of this was illegal?

I heard something about Putin using associated companies to avoid oil sanctions and provide fuel to forces who undertook attacks that killed civilians. It's all going to be foggy for a while and then a lot of dirt is going to come out.

Realistically.. will anything happen to the likes of Putin?

smash wrote: »
    I heard something about Putin using associated companies to avoid oil sanctions and provide fuel to forces who undertook attacks that killed civilians. It's all going to be foggy for a while and then a lot of dirt is going to come out.
    Luke Harding from the the Guardian is coming up soon on RTE radio in a few minutes. :D This will be fun.
    Lets hear about Putin's special friend, make that a special childhood friend who he drank beer with and got into fistfights with!

• Advertisement

Realistically.. will anything happen to the likes of Putin?
    I can't see anyone going after him.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,983 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

I can't see anyone going after him.

I can. I can see them going missing afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭groovyg

or end up like Alexander Litvinenko slow painful ending - they would have to be mad to go after Putin

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Frankie Flannery, who'd a thunk it?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Bambi wrote: »
    Frankie Flannery, who'd a thunk it?

shocking revelation alright:)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

Indeed...even those on the inside can end up disposed of if they know too much.

As the Guardian article outlines....
    One of the companies linked to this 'Ove Financial Corp' was owned by Vladi's former media advisor & founding father of Russia Today, Mikhail Lesin.
    He fell out of favour & was found dead in a hotel room last November, having died from blunt force trauma to the head.

How very odd? Yesterday Putin's special friend (who he got into fistfights and drank beer with in their youth) "held the key in to tracing Putin's fortune" A day later he wasn't even mentioned by Luke Harding of the Guardian talking to Sean O'Rourke on RTE earlier? You would think that someone who "holds the key" would at least get a mention.
    Sean O'Rourke asked why there aren't any Americans in the files, I can't even remember Harding's reply.

http://www.theguardian.com/news/2016/apr/03/sergei-roldugin-the-cellist-who-holds-the-key-to-tracing-putins-hidden-fortune
    This propaganda is so amateurish its embarrassing!
    Roldugin was the obvious choice as godfather:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

TallGlass wrote: »
    This type of tax avoidance has always amazed me. Really, I can't understand it. Billion dollar companies, millionaires all seem to go above and beyond to hide cash/pay no tax.

To be honest I know a fair few people who use all sorts of little tricks to evade tax, skim off work, avoid paying VAT, trick the social ..

We're no angels, millionaires and people in power are just more in the spotlight, also bear in mind the Panama Papers implicate a certain number of people over 40 years, and there are some big names in there, but it's still a minority, there are plenty of politicians and wealthy people who fairly pay their taxes and don't use offshore accounts (that just doesn't make news)

There's no excuse for any of it, but it's a broad problem in society, not just limited to the top

I see the Russian apologists are fuming already

• Registered Users Posts: 9,805 ✭✭✭take everything

I bet that no one goes to jail for this. Many of these people are above the law!
    Which country will be the new "tax dodge city", these people treat tax dodging as a legitimate process and that only the little people pay taxes.

Exactly. Nothing will change.
    Bread and circuses.

Love how that piece of **** Frank Flannery is now a byword for this kind of thing. And he's still brazen as anything giving his opinion and advising FG.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,805 ✭✭✭take everything

Dohnjoe wrote: »
    I see the Russian apologists are fuming already

Shur Putin is a ledge. Get with it.
    Or something...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Apparently the Icelandic PM has already resigned due to this

https://twitter.com/pzf/status/716725878877765633

You wouldn't see that in Ireland

Maybe he might be worried some of his citizens might resort to the old viking forms of dealing with their enemies.

It also appears there were three other cabinet ministers involved.

I wonder when old frank flannery will start telling us about his gambling habits ?

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users Posts: 6,483 ✭✭✭touts

Exactly. Nothing will change.
    Bread and circuses.

Love how that piece of **** Frank Flannery is now a byword for this kind of thing. And he's still brazen as anything giving his opinion and advising FG.

Turns out the Icelandic Prime Minister who oversaw the repayment of the creditors of bankrupt Icelandic banks was himself one of those creditors.

Now that begs the question was Frank Flannery a creditor in bankrupt Irish banks and was advising the Fine Gael government at the time they did a spectacular U turn on repaying creditors

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

There's over 2.6TB of information, the impact of this will be felt for decades, people will definitely go to prison over this, tax fraud is something you 100% will go to prison for.

Damn this is exciting.

Sadly not the right people though. In many cases, it is prominent people's brothers, uncles, etc. that are listed in the leaks.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,818 ✭✭✭✭josip

JJJJNR wrote: »
    There's over 2.6TB of information, the impact of this will be felt for decades, people will definitely go to prison over this, tax fraud is something you 100% will go to prison for.

Not in every country.

Damn this is exciting.

Who's going to put Putin in prison?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭FalconGirl

Damn this is exciting.

I would wager, in most countries people won't go down. Too much power in their hands. In fact we may see a tightening of rules around social media to shush the masses.

The emergence of social media and ease of spreading information has really opened people's eyes to corrupt practices imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭eamonnq

Who's going to put Putin in prison?

Trump ?

• Advertisement

eamonnq wrote: »
    Trump ?

They have a serious bromance going on not a hope

Also Putin isn't implicated directly.. everyone around him might be, but he's far to shrewd to get caught with his hands in the cookie jar. And they certainly aren't going to kill the golden goose over there. Even if there was direct evidence, it means nothing to the Russians, corruption is a national sport over there - all his cronies have already come out and called it another "special plot" to tar Russia.. the same plot that implicates hundreds of Western politicians and wealthy businessmen..

Advertisement