Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Panama Papers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,642 ✭✭✭✭josip

This is going to be massive, if not already.
    Putin will have everyone in that company glowing in the dark for this.
    The other dictators will probably opt for a more traditional offing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Would love if certain high profile Irish media moguls and politicians appeared in this. Give me something good to b*tch about for weeks.

Wonder how the breach happened?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭The flying mouse

Germany’s Süddeutsche Zeitung (SZ) has released the biggest leak in journalistic history, posting 11.5 million documents from a Panamanian law firm online and providing “rare insights into a world that can only exist in the shadows.”

SZ said it received the law firm’s documents a year ago from an anonymous The leak claims to expose the offshore holdings of 12 current and former world leaders and provides data on the financial activities of 128 other politicians and public officials from different countries.source who “wanted neither financial compensation nor anything else in return.”

https://www.google.es/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjbxePKnvPLAhVJORQKHfn7BE0QqQIIHTAA&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.rt.com%2Fnews%2F338270-panama-papers-corruption-report%2F&usg=AFQjCNGbvDTBnDQRFEZzh2i1Qf2pMyhEag&sig2=kHw9Co8AS0f6O-UCC1Vjqg

This is getting huge, even though its no surprise really is it ? Multi wealthy people try to hide there multi wealth even more...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,201 ✭✭✭ongarite

Messi involved in this too.
    After all the legal trouble he has had with his father hiding money from Spanish governments.
    The Barcelona star, a five-time world player of the year, is already under indictment in Spain on charges that he and his father, Jorge Horacio Messi, used offshore companies in Belize and Uruguay to stiff the government out of millions of dollars in taxes.

The leaked documents show that Messi and his father owned yet another offshore company in Panama: Mega Star Enterprises.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

Stories of Irish interest arising from this investigation will be published by The Irish Times over the coming days.

Wonder who is involved there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Mod-Fixed the links for you Mena.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,844 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

I'm just waiting for the libertarian apologetics to begin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭liam7831

Is that short for Philomena?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,787 ✭✭✭thomasj

• Registered Users Posts: 30,035 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Well organised release of the news, must have plenty of stories ready to publish in next few days

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

mzungu wrote: »
    Wonder who is involved there.

Probably just companies or organisations using their services, boring stuff most likely.

I bet that no one goes to jail for this. Many of these people are above the law!
    Which country will be the new "tax dodge city", these people treat tax dodging as a legitimate process and that only the little people pay taxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,787 ✭✭✭thomasj

From the BBC website
    The documents show links to 72 current or former heads of state in the data, including dictators accused of looting their own countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

I bet that no one goes to jail for this. Many of these people are above the law!
    Which country will be the new "tax dodge city", these people treat tax dodging as a legitimate process and that only the little people pay taxes.

Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,201 ✭✭✭ongarite

Icelandic PM has resigned already.
    Quarter of his cabinet involved in this too.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,065 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Apparently the Icelandic PM has already resigned due to this

https://twitter.com/pzf/status/716725878877765633

You wouldn't see that in Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

ken wrote: »
    Mod-Fixed the links for you Mena.

Thank you. Posted from the darn iPhone.

token101 wrote: »
    Ireland?
    If you consider the number of multinational companies that have their headquarters here, you could be correct!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,363 ✭✭✭KingBrian2

The Icelandic PM felt the need to resign. Signs that the country has not got over the banking crisis it endured.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,034 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I have no doubt no-one with see jail time over this.

Why are the mega rich not happy being mega rich and want more?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭twinytwo

Sure dont you know politicians in Ireland are above the law.... such things are only for us mere plebs!

Where the excuse "sure I didnt know" is enough to absolve oneself of all reponsability.

I mean when a TD can openly commit purgery and then attempt to interfere with the justice system and nothing gets said to him you can be rest assured something like this will just be brushed under the rug.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,978 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

against wall the shot should they be

• Registered Users Posts: 33,034 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

against wall the shot should they be

You're right there, Yoda

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭alma73

ongarite wrote: »
    Icelandic PM has resigned already.
    Quarter of his cabinet involved in this too.

Now that is big.... How many lefties saying ireland should have followed iceland and now we see that iceland lefties were just as corrupt.

Its like Mary lou who say she cares for the low paid, yet she and her hubby earn 200k+ a year..

• Registered Users Posts: 33,043 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Call me a cynic, but I can almost see and politicians shrugging and mehing over this. If somoene from a non-Scandanavian Westen country even makes it to trial I'll be amazed.

They have plans to stop this from ever hurting them - that's why they are wheer they are.
    NIMAN wrote: »
    I have no doubt no-one with see jail time over this.

Why are the mega rich not happy being mega rich and want more?

Homer: You know, Mr. Burns, you're the richest guy I know. Way richer than Lenny.
    Mr. Burns: Yes, but I'd trade it all for a little more.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

Call me a cynic, but I can almost see and politicians shrugging and mehing over this.

Mostly so, yes.

But prosecutions may well occur... but it will depend from country to country.
    The act of having money in accounts in other countries is not in itself illegal everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

Fair play to the news organisations involved. It's great to see that even in the era of clickbait internet 'journalism' there is a place for in-depth long form investigative reporting.

11.5 million documents - 214,000 companies covering a period from the 1970s right up to date. Some task to analyse that, and I'm sure they had to be scrupulous to cover themselves legally too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Rattlehead_ie

maudgonner wrote: »
    Fair play to the news organisations involved. It's great to see that even in the era of clickbait internet 'journalism' there is a place for in-depth long form investigative reporting.
    I'm just glad it's not called 'Panama-gate' :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

I'm just glad it's not called 'Panama-gate' :P

Maybe '-canal' will become the new '-gate' now for big scoops?

Advertisement