Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Panama Papers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

I hope it was Tom Cruise that was the leak.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

note with interest that the BBCs websites main report on this yesterday did not mention Camerons name once

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭HensVassal

JJJJNR wrote: »
    There's over 2.6TB of information, the impact of this will be felt for decades, people will definitely go to prison over this, tax fraud is something you 100% will go to prison for.

Damn this is exciting.

Who'll go to prison? Nobody, that's who. There might be the odd Bernie Madoff or Allen Stanford who's hung out to dry but the majority will get away with it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 794 ✭✭✭TheHillOfDoom

HensVassal wrote: »
    Who'll go to prison? Nobody, that's who. There might be the odd Bernie Madoff or Allen Stanford who's hung out to dry but the majority will get away with it.

These dudes are experts on what is legal and what is not.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

Bambi wrote: »
    note with interest that the BBCs websites main report on this yesterday did not mention Camerons name once

From the sounds of it, it was his father that had some business there rather than Cameron himself. Tbh, I don't agree with "sins of the father" even if the son is a politician.

We'll see how that filters out though.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

One of the Reykjavik protesters was holding a sign "Down with this sort of thing" :D
    http://ichef.bbci.co.uk/live-experience/cps/704/cpsprodpb/vivo/live/images/2016/4/5/d2b5f56c-e0c7-4be9-814d-75f0babf93ef.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 33,174 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

snubbleste wrote: »

.... and he gets his 5sec of internet fame.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Samaris wrote: »
    From the sounds of it, it was his father that had some business there rather than Cameron himself. Tbh, I don't agree with "sins of the father" even if the son is a politician.

We'll see how that filters out though.

Vladdy is linked to this through some fiddle playing pal and they mentioned his name 5 times....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

The BBC News at 10 yesterday did.
    The Panorama programme (when is this on?) may delve deeper.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Gyalist

Putin's name is NOT on the list. Why should I be an apologist for Putin?
    I just don't swallow mindless propaganda hook line and sinker!
    I'm not sure what you mean by "less balanced" - I'm entitled to my opinion which seems to annoy certain posters here (not you)

Moon of Alabama has an interesting take on events - Selective Leaks Of The #PanamaPapers Create Huge Blackmail Potential
    The engineered "leak" of the "Panama Papers" is a limited hangout designed to incriminate a few people and organization the U.S. dislikes. It is also a demonstration of the "torture tools" to the people who did business with Mossak Fonseca but have not (yet) been published about. They are now in the hands of those who control the database. They will have to do as demanded or else ...

What is a limited hangout?
    A limited hangout or partial hangout is, according to former special assistant to the Deputy Director of the Central Intelligence Agency Victor Marchetti, "spy jargon for a favorite and frequently used gimmick of the clandestine professionals. When their veil of secrecy is shredded and they can no longer rely on a phony cover story to misinform the public, they resort to admitting—sometimes even volunteering—some of the truth while still managing to withhold the key and damaging facts in the case. The public, however, is usually so intrigued by the new information that it never thinks to pursue the matter further

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭HensVassal

There is a willingness from various law enforcement agencies around the world to investigate this crime with the most severest sanctions being imposed on individuals from the get go. We're talking about famous or infamous people's careers potentially being implicated for years to come because of this scandal coming to light right in front of their very eyes. If the Panama Papers does uncover severe implications for a celebrity or for a politician who is found to have done something illegal in the eyes of their own government. They are not going to get away with this as they would have nowhere to hide.

This investigation is letting these people know who were implicated in this scandal that this type of secrecy is now not going to become acceptable from today. This investigation in a way does not just go through the wide ranging processing millions of documents and letting individuals know how to legally pay their money. This is a way from law enforcement agencies & governments to come down hard by telling their people that dodging taxes in offshore banks accounts is now beginning to become an intolerable crime for society's needs if there was severe criminality involved to make it probably last forever.

This tax scandal really marks a beginning of an end in a lot of ways. This is simply not about companies or individuals not paying their fair contribution to their governments. It's a form of social justice that is going to be held accountable to every common man on the street which is going to last for life. This is going to result to people being informed & by their governments that anybody of any class; either as employed or unemployed; will have to pay their fair share of tax in a non-discriminate circumstance to keep their public services afloat and as a way of keeping a government balance sheet under very significant controls.

I would wait to see if anything significant implications for Ireland involved in this scandal. I would also like to see it as a big benefit to happen for Ireland if it does result in getting more money being paid to the government in the form of more tax revenue for the state.

Are you for real?
    These people own governments. Take a look at Tony Blair. The guy is an arch criminal with the blood of millions on his hands. He is laughing all the way to the bank as a result of the profits he's made from the war machine. Look at Hillary Clinton. She gets paid millions in bribes by financial corporations. Those bribes are euphemistically called "speaker's fees" and "campaign contributions". The 1% are never going to give up their galactic wealth. History has shown that they own the police and politicians. They game the global financial system for their own gain. They manipulate stock prices, oil prices, gold prices, the Libor. They launder money (HSBC and mexican drug money springs to mind). They appropriate all manner of resources.. oil, gas, wood, water and anyone who complains or pushes back gets their skull thumped by their bought and paid for watchdogs in the police. Think Occupy Movement or Water Charge protests or G8 demonstrations.

Dawning of a new era of social justice? Dream on. When governments get paid to grease the skids for the 1% what possible motivation would they have to hold them accountable for financial malfeasance?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,064 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Vladdy is linked to this through some fiddle playing pal and they mentioned his name 5 times....
    Yes his pal Sergei Roldugin "who holds the key to tracing Putin's hidden fortune"
    Putin and his pal had "youthful adventures" "played football" "the odd street fight" - he even fixed up Putin on a blind date! Wow! they must be very close!
    Right then, Mr Harding has established the fact that they are best of mates for his dear readers, why not throw in words like "KGB" and "godfather" for good measure? ;)
    On Sunday when this article was written Mr Roldugin "held the key to Putin's fortune" - sorry, make that "hidden" fortune! Yesterday on RTE radio Mr Harding, in an interview that lasted about 10 minutes didn't mention Roldugin once, isn't it a bit odd that someone "who holds the key" on Sunday doesn't even merit a mention on Monday?

http://www.theguardian.com/news/2016/apr/03/sergei-roldugin-the-cellist-who-holds-the-key-to-tracing-putins-hidden-fortune

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

HensVassal wrote: »
    Are you for real?
    These people own governments. Take a look at Tony Blair. The guy is an arch criminal with the blood of millions on his hands. He is laughing all the way to the bank as a result of the profits he's made from the war machine. Look at Hillary Clinton. She gets paid millions in bribes by financial corporations. Those bribes are euphemistically called "speaker's fees" and "campaign contributions". The 1% are never going to give up their galactic wealth. History has shown that they own the police and politicians. They game the global financial system for their own gain. They manipulate stock prices, oil prices, gold prices, the Libor. They launder money (HSBC and mexican drug money springs to mind). They appropriate all manner of resources.. oil, gas, wood, water and anyone who complains or pushes back gets their skull thumped by their bought and paid for watchdogs in the police. Think Occupy Movement or Water Charge protests or G8 demonstrations.

Dawning of a new era of social justice? Dream on. When governments get paid to grease the skids for the 1% what possible motivation would they have to hold them accountable for financial malfeasance?

Link ?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,800 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

Of course it was also an opportunity not to be missed to spread lies and dirt about Putin.
    I never heard of the International Consortium of Investigative Journalists until yesterday and I must admit I was absolutely amazed that this consortium is based in Washington - I didn't see that coming!

It's a plot by Washington! 370 journalists from 100 different organization in nearly 80 countries all involved in a careful coordinated plot just to spread "lies and rumours" about the Russian PM

France and Spain are investigating potential money-laundering, Sweden will be investigating hundreds of individuals, Australia is launching an investigation, the Icelandic, British, Pakistani, Ukrainian.. yes Ukranian, Chinese leaders are under direct/indirect pressure

All of that is lies too?

Some interesting stuff happening in Germany and popped up on the Reddit Live Thread, which is still on-going.

Germany's justice minister is proposing setting up a national "transparency register" that would list the real beneficiaries of letter-box companies, but only those set up in the country itself

Panama Papers linked to german spy Werner Mauss. Which is non existant in any database... source in german

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭FA Hayek

I'm just waiting for the libertarian apologetics to begin.

You seem to have a certain hard on to prove some point but I haven't the faintest idea what it is. I suppose its some sly dig at *something*....

It is predictable though. Blame libertarians (I presume this was your ham fisted point) even though the vast majority of those seemingly implicated are indeed politicians or state actors who used the state for their own gain to accumilate financial assets. A classic example of not seeing the wood from the trees. Bravo Sir! Yeah, those libertarians like Putin and the Prince of Saudi Arabia are sure to blame :pac:

FA Hayek wrote: »
    You seem to have a certain hard on to prove some point but I haven't the faintest idea what it is. I suppose its some sly dig at *something*....

It is predictable though. Blame libertarians (I presume this was your ham fisted point) even though the vast majority of those seemingly implicated are indeed politicians or state actors who used the state for their own gain to accumilate financial assets. A classic example of not seeing the wood from the trees. Bravo Sir! Yeah, those libertarians like Putin and the Prince of Saudi Arabia are sure to blame :pac:

The vast majority are non political, they are private individuals

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭FA Hayek

Dohnjoe wrote: »
    The vast majority are non political, they are private individuals

Yet the press seems to fixated at the politicians. Like the same poster thanked a post that described Tony Blair as a war criminal and Hillary Clinton as a being paid in bribes. Yet Libertarians are to blame.

Cognitive dissonance rules yet again.

Yet the press seems to fixated at the politicians.

Why wouldn't they be? we don't know private individuals, we do know the leaders and ministers of our country

Also politicians engaging in tax evasion is far more serious and has far more serious consequences and implications

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Iceland PM calls general election early due to protests

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,697 ✭✭✭✭josip

snubbleste wrote: »
    Iceland PM calls general election early due to protests

Will it happen?
    Iceland's Prime Minister Sigmundur Gunnlaugsson has asked President Olafur Grimsson to dissolve parliament, the Reuters news agency reports.
    However, news agency AFP and Icelandic media say the president has so far declined.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Some interesting stuff happening in Germany and popped up on the Reddit Live Thread, which is still on-going.

Germany's justice minister is proposing setting up a national "transparency register" that would list the real beneficiaries of letter-box companies, but only those set up in the country itself

Panama Papers linked to german spy Werner Mauss. Which is non existant in any database... source in german

As I've already stated in this thread, the database is from the 2013 leak. The site will have an updated database in a months time.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,851 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Yet the press seems to fixated at the politicians. Like the same poster thanked a post that described Tony Blair as a war criminal and Hillary Clinton as a being paid in bribes. Yet Libertarians are to blame.

Cognitive dissonance rules yet again.

I was thanking that post because of this part:
    The 1% are never going to give up their galactic wealth. History has shown that they own the police and politicians. They game the global financial system for their own gain. They manipulate stock prices, oil prices, gold prices, the Libor. They launder money (HSBC and mexican drug money springs to mind). They appropriate all manner of resources.. oil, gas, wood, water and anyone who complains or pushes back gets their skull thumped by their bought and paid for watchdogs in the police. Think Occupy Movement or Water Charge protests or G8 demonstrations.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

20Cent wrote: »
    Here are the Irish companies leaked so far.

The site must be getting a battering have to refresh a lot.

http://offshoreleaks.icij.org/search?country=EI&q=&ppl=on&ent=on&adr=on

Can anyone else still use this link? I'm getting errors constantly -although it might be overloading (I know it's out of date).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

josip wrote: »
    Will it happen?

He has now resigned.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-35966412

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Menas wrote: »

Off to live on a private island with a fleet of supercars and a selection of 18yr old models with daddy issues?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

smash wrote: »
    Off to live on a private island with a fleet of supercars and a selection of 18yr old models with daddy issues?

His wife is the rich one - so I would guess he will stay with her a little longer!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Menas wrote: »
    His wife is the rich one - so I would guess he will stay with her a little longer!

Schoolboy error. Now he'll be single and homeless in a few months while she's driving around Monaco in a Lamborghini with a toy boy.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

smash wrote: »
    Schoolboy error. Now he'll be single and homeless in a few months while she's driving around Monaco in a Lamborghini with a toy boy.

Aye, there'll be a recession in his house!

Cameron could come under pressure on this if Corbyn plays his cards right, which is far from guaranteed! All right his father's affairs maybe private, but if tax was avoided and Cameron inherited the proceeds...

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

K-9 wrote: »
    Aye, there'll be a recession in his house!

Cameron could come under pressure on this if Corbyn plays his cards right, which is far from guaranteed! All right his father's affairs maybe private, but if tax was avoided and Cameron inherited the proceeds...
    Cameron can hardly be held responsible for akleged crimes committed by his father.

Advertisement