Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Panama Papers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Of course not, if somebody can prove tax was evaded and he inherited the proceeds, tough politically though.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

K-9 wrote: »
    Of course not, if somebody can prove tax was evaded and he inherited the proceeds, tough politically though.
    Cameron seems to be made of Teflon right now between piggate and a senior cabinet member resigning. I agree it wouldn't be good for him though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Good ethics are Cameron's thing though. I know he consults with transparency international on issues such as this, so at a minimum it is hugely embarrassing for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,851 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Aye, there'll be a recession in his house!

Cameron could come under pressure on this if Corbyn plays his cards right, which is far from guaranteed! All right his father's affairs maybe private, but if tax was avoided and Cameron inherited the proceeds...

Ah sure, if he has nothing to hide he has nothing to fear. :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭HensVassal

Link ?

link? Link to what?

• Advertisement

First of many. Prime minister of Iceland has tendered his resignation.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,163 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Good ethics are Cameron's thing though. I know he consults with transparency international on issues such as this, so at a minimum it is hugely embarrassing for him.

Ah, we all have those moments when you facepalm and think, "ah, Daaaad.... for ****'s sake....!"

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

Dohnjoe wrote: »
    The vast majority are non political, they are private individuals

the vast majority of the world are private individuals. But the ones with the most money tend to gravitate towards the ones in politics and influence them for gain.

you think? Bollocks. There'll be no resignations by any politician who played ball and there'll be no prosecution of any tycoon or banker who likewise played the game. You'll get smear campaigns and witch hunts against those that the establishment is unsure about or simply want fcuked over. I wouldn't be surprised if there's a smear against Castro or Chavez saying they fleeced their countries blond.

HensVassal wrote: »
    you think? Bollocks. There'll be no resignations by any politician who played ball and there'll be no prosecution of any tycoon or banker who likewise played the game. You'll get smear campaigns and witch hunts against those that the establishment is unsure about or simply want fcuked over. I wouldn't be surprised if there's a smear against Castro or Chavez saying they fleeced their countries blond.

He's gone. Has been confirmed.

• Advertisement

Iceland is different!
    I would be very surprised if there are any resignations, let alone convictions anywhere else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,363 ✭✭✭KingBrian2

Iceland is different!
    I would be very surprised if there are any resignations, let alone convictions anywhere else.

Massive corruption charges in South Africa and Brazil. Angry politicians and judges out to prosecute their respective leaders. Counter allegations of a coup being made. Once again vested interests looking to bring down their Presidents.

He's gone. Has been confirmed.

My bollocks statement was in response to "first of many"

First of only one.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭FA Hayek

I was thanking that post because of this part:

You are now wandering close to the whole conspiracy theory cliff, by thinking da 1% own the Gardai as the Water protests are mentioned. Has it ever occurred to you being Irish you are already in the 1-3% of the world?

Oh, Im sorry you can continue with your cognitive dissonence.

Rabble rabble rabble, we won't pay, etc etc..

FA Hayek wrote: »
    You are now wandering close to the whole conspiracy theory cliff, by thinking da 1% own the Gardai as the Water protests are mentioned. Has it ever occurred to you being Irish you are already in the 1-3% of the world?

Oh, Im sorry you can continue with your cognitive dissonence.

Rabble rabble rabble, we won't pay, etc etc..

Personally, I don't mind the concept of water charges, but IW has been sh*tshow after sh*tshow since its formation. Save the stereotypes for libertarian circlejerks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Gyalist

Well, that escalated quickly!
    Earlier today, for the first time we got a glimpse into some of the American names allegedly contained in the "Panama Papers", largest ever leak. "Some", not all, and "allegedly" because as we said yesterday, "one can't help but wonder: why not do a Wikileaks type data dump, one which reveals if not all the 2.6 terabytes of data due to security concerns, then at least the identities of these 441 US-based clients. After all, with the rest of the world has already been extensively shamed, it's only fair to open US books as well."

The exact same question appeared in an interview conducted between Wired magazine and the director of the organization that released the Panama Papers, the International Consortium of Investigative Journalists, or ICIJ, Gerard Ryle.

This is what Ryle said:

Ryle says that the media organizations have no plans to release the full dataset, WikiLeaks-style, which he argues would expose the sensitive information of innocent private individuals along with the public figures on which the group’s reporting has focused. “We’re not WikiLeaks. We’re trying to show that journalism can be done responsibly,” Ryle says. He says he advised the reporters from all the participating media outlets to “go crazy, but tell us what’s in the public interest for your country.”

Question aside about who it is that gets to decide which "innocent private individuals" are to be left alone, Wikileaks clearly did not like being characterized as conducting "irresponsible" journalism - and to the contrary, many in the public arena have called for another massive, distributed effort to get to the bottom of a 2.4TB treasure trove of data which a handful of journalists will simply be unable to dig through - and moments ago, on Twitter, accused the ICIJ of being a "Washington DC based Ford, Soros funded soft-power tax-dodge" which "has a WikiLeaks problem."

And so, a new contest is born: one between the "old" source of mega leaks, and the new one. We wonder if and when Edward Snowden and/or Glenn Greenwald will also chime in.

But we are far more interested if now, that there appears to be a war brewing between Wikileaks and ICIJ, who what "information" will be released next, and whether whatever comes out will put the entire Panama Papers project in a different perspective, one which, as even Bloomberg has hinted, may have been to benefit the last remaining global tax haven around, the United States itself, as well as the most notorious provider of "tax haven" services in in said country: Rothschild.

Shots Fired: Wikileaks Accuses Panama Papers' Leaker Of Being "Soros-Funded, Soft-Power Tax Dodge"

As per usual, the first question to ask yourself when these leaks happen is "cui bono"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

link? Link to what?

The nonsense I quoted.

KingBrian2 wrote: »
    Massive corruption charges in South Africa and Brazil. Angry politicians and judges out to prosecute their respective leaders. Counter allegations of a coup being made. Once again vested interests looking to bring down their Presidents.

I'd say they are definitely going to try and stitch up Lula in Brazil and Morales in Bolivia. Morales is most likely clean as a whistle but they'll say he's linked to a load of people on the lists.

The nonsense I quoted.

Look, I'm not playing your derailment games, ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

Look, I'm not playing your derailment games, ok.

I'm not the one derailing with nonsense that cannot be backed up.

• Advertisement

Personally, I don't mind the concept of water charges, but IW has been sh*tshow after sh*tshow since its formation. Save the stereotypes for libertarian circlejerks.

Yet you seem keen on the idea that the Gardai are owned by da 1%. I do not think you know the meaning of the word stereotype if I am honest.

I'm not the one derailing with nonsense that cannot be backed up.

It isn't nonsense and it can be backed up but I'm not letting you drag the debate off-topic because you don't like some of the subjects. Don't address me again.

FA Hayek wrote: »
    Yet you seem keen on the idea that the Gardai are owned by da 1%.

I wouldn't say they "own" the Gardai, at least not in an Irish context, more that the richest wield a disproportionate amount of influence over governments.

Come to think of it, the concept of "regulatory capture", often used by laissez-faire believers to dismiss/deride regulation, is also predicated on the belief in the existence of an elite.

I wouldn't say they "own" the Gardai, at least not in an Irish context, more that the richest wield a disproportionate amount of influence over governments.

Come to think of it, the concept of "regulatory capture", often used by laissez-faire believers to dismiss/deride regulation, is also predicated on the belief in the existence of an elite.

Key word there is government. I do not think anyone dismisses the idea of an elite, its just more often then not government or state officials are usually at the heart of it or at least guarding the keys to the kingdom. You are more libertarian than you would like to admit I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Gyalist wrote: »
    As per usual, the first question to ask yourself when these leaks happen is "cui bono"?

Good question, did that fecker have one of the dodgy accounts too?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,800 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

Woah wait up everyone, ignore the hundreds of journalists from 80 different organisations around the world who've been going through these documents for over a year.. we have the real expert here

• Registered Users Posts: 33,173 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I see a few names names are appearing today that the media assume will interest 'the common man and woman' - likes of Nick Faldo, Andy Cole, Simon Cowell, Willian of Chelsea etc.

But from what I can see, these people did absolutely nothing illegal. And as such, why are we all moaning about them?

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭rsh118

We're all moaning because if we tried to access these services we'd be turned away as being too poor. Back, serf, and pay your taxes!

We laugh at countries like Thailand where the poor are too poor to be taxed, the rich exempt themselves and the middle pay the lot, but you'd find a few parallels in our supposedly more advanced and humane society.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,173 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

rsh118 wrote: »
    We're all moaning because if we tried to access these services we'd be turned away as being too poor. Back, serf, and pay your taxes!

We laugh at countries like Thailand where the poor are too poor to be taxed, the rich exempt themselves and the middle pay the lot, but you'd find a few parallels in our supposedly more advanced and humane society.

But if you had big money, you too would look to minimise your tax burden too. Its human nature.

If these people were breaking laws I'd say bang them up, but there's nothing to go after.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

NIMAN wrote: »
    I see a few names names are appearing today that the media assume will interest 'the common man and woman' - likes of Nick Faldo, Andy Cole, Simon Cowell, Willian of Chelsea etc.

But from what I can see, these people did absolutely nothing illegal. And as such, why are we all moaning about them?
    If nothing illegal took place then the names should not be published. It's just wrong and the red tops will love this shíte. You can be guaranteed that a lot of celebs leave their tax affairs in the hands of accountants etc so they might not even know themselves.

Advertisement