Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Panama Papers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Qiaonasen

How does this work?

Somebody sends 2.7 of Documents to the Sueddeutsche Zeitung. They read it and leak it every day or what? When will we hear about stuff from Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

Qiaonasen wrote: »
    How does this work?

Somebody sends 2.7 of Documents to the Sueddeutsche Zeitung. They read it and leak it every day or what? When will we hear about stuff from Ireland.

There's a load of different news organisations involved - including the BBC, The Guardian and The Irish Times. They've been investigating it for a year now.

I'd say the IT will be keen to get the Irish stuff published ASAP, so they'll be focusing on that. They've said that "Stories of Irish interest arising from this investigation will be published by The Irish Times over the coming days."

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

In fairness the news that Putin is corrupt is up there with the news that ice is cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,800 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

Qiaonasen wrote: »
    How does this work?

A team of 370 journalists from around 100 different organisations in almost 80 countries has been working on this in secret

It's Hollywood type stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

Dohnjoe wrote: »
    A team of 370 journalists from around 100 different organisations in almost 80 countries has been working on this in secret

It's Hollywood type stuff

I'm sure there are a number of people already working on the screenplay :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,699 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

maudgonner wrote: »
    I'd say the IT will be keen to get the Irish stuff published ASAP, so they'll be focusing on that. They've said that "Stories of Irish interest arising from this investigation will be published by The Irish Times over the coming days."

This could mean that the Frank Flannery connection is the tip of the iceberg - looking forward to more leaks over the week. hopefully get to see a few Irish politicians squirm like the Icelandic guy did in his interview. Well worth a watch!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Bongalongherb

There's sure to be a few Irish politicians within these leaked papers. It is just going to take some time to go over them all. A lot of work to be done there. I'd be actually amazed if there is no Irish politicians involved with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

Thanks for starting off with those links, Mena, they made for an interesting read!

Will be very intrigued to see how the fallout lands for this little lot. It puts WikiLeaks ..well, if not in the shade, it's certainly sitting up there beside them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,934 ✭✭✭20Cent

Here are the Irish companies leaked so far.

The site must be getting a battering have to refresh a lot.

http://offshoreleaks.icij.org/search?country=EI&q=&ppl=on&ent=on&adr=on

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

Mind you, one thing to bear in mind (and it's on the site in a warning too); the names being there doesn't actually mean they're doing anything wrong. There are apparently quite a lot of perfectly legit reasons to have offshore business and even shell companies. No doubt some of them are up to mischief though. Just hope no legit ones get dragged through the mud for the leak.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Samaris wrote: »
    Mind you, one thing to bear in mind (and it's on the site in a warning too); the names being there doesn't actually mean they're doing anything wrong. There are apparently quite a lot of perfectly legit reasons to have offshore business and even shell companies. No doubt some of them are up to mischief though. Just hope no legit ones get dragged through the mud for the leak.

No doubt that the dodgy practices will be placing false claims on the legit practices to take the light of themselves while they try to sort something out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

Any chance they'll find Berties bank accounts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 891 ✭✭✭Falcon L

I'd say it's squeaky bum time for a lot of our upstanding citizens.:p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭valoren

Wait for the mea culpa's spouting "I've made a terrible error of judgment".

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

How did they keep this quiet for nearly a year?

Fcuked if I believe that there were teams of journalists investigating this for a year and nobody blabbed.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

All his loot is in An Post savings books

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

He never had any, sure he told us so;)

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭rafatoni

He never had any, sure he told us so;)

Bertie won all his money on a horse :D:p

Id say Uncle Dinny is in a panic though ;)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

20Cent wrote: »
    Here are the Irish companies leaked so far.

The site must be getting a battering have to refresh a lot.

http://offshoreleaks.icij.org/search?country=EI&q=&ppl=on&ent=on&adr=on

This looks like the 2013 database leak, no? It looks the same to the one I checked before...

Besides only snippets have been released. The full leak will be disclosed next month.

Also, lol:
    'There will be no official investigation against Ukrainian President Poroschenko since Ukrainian law does not allow the anti-corruption agency to investigate against an incumbent president'

Samaris wrote: »
    Thanks for starting off with those links, Mena, they made for an interesting read!

Will be very intrigued to see how the fallout lands for this little lot. It puts WikiLeaks ..well, if not in the shade, it's certainly sitting up there beside them.

If Wikileaks is the Earth. The Panama Papers is the bigger than the Sun.

There was 1.7GB of information in Wikileaks. PP is 2.6TB, which is 1000x (2000x? I'm awful at maths) bigger and has already implicated 12 current and former heads of state.. directly, with lord knows how many more indirectly, and how many other people involved. It has caused mass protests in Iceland, with more likely to spread globally.

There was a great ELI5 (explain like I'm 5) answer over on Reddit about this -
    When you get a quarter you put it in the piggy bank. The piggy bank is on a shelf in your closet. Your mom knows this and she checks on it every once in a while, so she knows when you put more money in or spend it.
    Now one day, you might decide "I don't want mom to look at my money." So you go over to Johnny's house with an extra piggy bank that you're going to keep in his room. You write your name on it and put it in his closet. Johnny's mom is always very busy, so she never has time to check on his piggy bank. So you can keep yours there and it will stay a secret.

Now all the kids in the neighborhood think this is a good idea, and everyone goes to Johnny's house with extra piggy banks. Now Johnny's closet is full of piggy banks from everyone in the neighborhood.
    One day, Johnny's mom comes home and sees all the piggy banks. She gets very mad and calls everyone's parents to let them know.

Now not everyone did this for a bad reason. Eric's older brother always steals from his piggy bank, so he just wanted a better hiding spot. Timmy wanted to save up to buy his mom a birthday present without her knowing. Sammy just did it because he thought it was fun. But many kids did do it for a bad reason. Jacob was stealing people's lunch money and didn't want his parents to figure it out. Michael was stealing money from his mom's purse. Fat Bobby's parents put him on a diet, and didn't want them to figure out when he was buying candy.

Now in real life, many very important people were just caught hiding their piggy banks at Johnny's house in Panama. Today their moms all found out. Pretty soon, we'll know more about which of these important people were doing it for bad reasons and which were doing it for good reasons. But almost everyone is in trouble regardless, because it's against the rules to keep secrets no matter what.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,800 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

There was 1.7GB of information in Wikileaks. PP is 2.6TB, which is 1000x (2000x? I'm awful at maths) bigger and has already implicated 12 current and former heads of state.. directly, with lord knows how many more indirectly, and how many other people involved. It has caused mass protests in Iceland, with more likely to spread globally.

There was a great ELI5 (explain like I'm 5) answer over on Reddit about this -

Indeed, but size is relative. A lot of paperwork involved with offshoring and tax related activities

Everyone is gleefully out for politicians blood, but they are perhaps forgetting that we are going to potentially see sports stars (Messi), authors, movie stars, etc caught up in this

Indeed, but size is relative. A lot of paperwork involved with offshoring and tax related activities

Everyone is gleefully out for politicians blood, but they are perhaps forgetting that we are going to potentially see sports stars (Messi), authors, movie stars, etc caught up in this

I wouldn't necessarily say that. In numerous reports, I've seen both the likes of Messi and Jackie Chan listed. Probably in the long-run the politicians/bankers/whoever else people love to hate will be seen the most, but the others are still being mentioned.

Edit:

Ha, brilliant.

Meanwhile in Chile, names are beginning to surface, including politicians committed to transparency, like Gonzalo Delaveu.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭valoren

You could say that it's going to get.........Messi.........:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭MacauDragon

valoren wrote: »
    You could say that it's going to get.........Messi.........:cool:

Would you stop Putin puns in this thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,277 ✭✭✭DamagedTrax

Would you stop Putin puns in this thread.

quit russian to moderate :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,851 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Yep, even a few F1 drivers (past and present) are among this law firm's clients.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭FortySeven

What will it take to infuriate the populace enough to create some real change for Joe soap?

We can never afford public services even though we are taxed to the hilt. Meanwhile those most able to pay do not and with their sickening wealth they stoke inflation in assets thereby impoverishing us even more.

Why can't I offshore my wages? Why can't I claim tax back on my expenses? Why do I end up in court if I fart sideways yet these feckers rarely see the inside of a courtroom?

Thouroughly sick of the elites. Sick of their self aggrandizement and self interest at the cost to everyone.

A pox on the lot of them. May their balls shrivel, their cocks rot off and their fannies heal over.

Meh!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭Delta2113

Panorama was interesting at 7.30pm on BBC1 - that Iceland PM must go - sickening stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,363 ✭✭✭KingBrian2

This tax scheme was perfectly legal which is why they got away with it for so long. International Organisations like FIFA and famous sports stars Messi know how to keep their assets safe and away from prying revenue commissions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,173 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

If Messi is implicated in this, might just let someone else win the CL this season.

Advertisement