Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Panama Papers

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,277 ✭✭✭DamagedTrax

in case it isnt out yet.

Pegasus Trust
    30 Botanic Avenue, Drumcondra,
    Dublin 9, Ireland
    Tel:+353 1 7978930
    Contacts:
    Robert Becker (email: rbecker@pegasus.ie)
    Paul McKenna (email: pmckenna@pegasus.ie)

The numbers are crazy. The Wikileaks was in the single digits of GB. This is 2.6 terabytes. That's 1000x bigger.

Rumors that Iceland might arrest their prime minister like they did corrupt bankers.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,035 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

The numbers are crazy. The Wikileaks was in the single digits of GB. This is 2.6 terabytes. That's 1000x bigger.

Would think a big chuck of that could be legal terms and conditions and confidential warnings a the end of each email

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

This type of tax avoidance has always amazed me. Really, I can't understand it. Billion dollar companies, millionaires all seem to go above and beyond to hide cash/pay no tax.

Hording money, I mean there not spending it. Mean while people like myself PAYE, paying quite alot on what is very little money.

They are pure and simple draining the system, what use is billions hoarded away, governments can't get the money to spending and place it back into the system, public services etc.. Mean while the place is bursting for investment, all services are affected. Then the people like me at the bottom are hit again, to fund the broken system.

Look at the likes of Africa, completely broken due to greed, and for what when you think about it? Too get a place on a top 100 rich list.

No body wants to pay tax, but it is what it is and it needs to be paid for the place to function, hoarding away cash youll never likely spend into the billions is bizarre. Then again I am not in them circles, so I couldn't imagine the thought process behind it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭ArtSmart

Wonder why the German paper waited a year to share this info? Did they give a reason?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,934 ✭✭✭20Cent

ArtSmart wrote: »
    Wonder why the German paper waited a year to share this info? Did they give a reason?

Due to the amount of data to go through.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭MattHelders

Worried about the lack of US folk on the list. The guys who are publishing this are funded by various large US companies

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭MacauDragon

Worried about the lack of US folk on the list. The guys who are publishing this are funded by various large US companies

Something to think about alright.

Convenient when all the pitchforks start moving in the direction of your enemy/pawn you've just sold out.

Oooh look what he did. You should go get him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭jamo2oo9

It's only the tip of the iceberg. I'd imagine they are rolling it out in phases, starting with people that are most likely to be corrupted i.e. ME leaders. Iceland's PM was a surprise. Time will tell.

I really am hoping that there are a few Irish people on it. Denis O' Brien is probably on it but will sue the papers for slander or some shít seeing that's his style.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,016 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Included in the leaked documents are sales promotion agreements an Irish-registered company with an address in Drumcondra, Dublin, has signed in relation to arms and other deals in India, the Philippines and elsewhere, often involving commission-sharing deals with offshore companies.
    Wonder if the maffia is involved?

Never mind horses - think horse's head.

Not your ornery onager

20Cent wrote: »
    Due to the amount of data to go through.

300 journalists going through it according to the video.

I'm sure they don't start at page 1. Basically search for all names in the public interest and go from there.

No Irish people mentioned yet.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_people_named_in_the_Panama_Papers
    https://panamapapers.icij.org/the_power_players/

It's quite clear already that the media involved are shaping up for this to be absolutely massive.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,433 ✭✭✭touts

Esel wrote: »
    Wonder if the maffia is involved?

Never mind horses - think horse's head.

Well it looks like some of Fine Gael's "advisors" were hanging around in Druncondra and it wasn't for spying on Bertie. http://www.irishtimes.com/business/retail-and-services/frank-flannery-unable-to-explain-documents-on-250-000-deposit-1.2597000

https://www.reddit.com/live/wp1fvdxxwb45/

Convenient.. Two stories from Ireland just up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

1996 where would a FG advisor come into money then...

http://www.theguardian.com/news/2016/apr/03/iceland-pm-calls-snap-election-offshore-revelations

Icelandic PM getting interviewed doesn't realise he's about to get asked about it.. Talk about squirming. Then walks out.

What???

Iceland 3 Ireland 0 . . . . . . Victor Meldrew

And only MMates and Cammie's da?

Based on current info, this looks like a Yankee smear job. Where is Manuel these days anyway? Is he even still alive? If so, is he well - or even doing OK?

Not your ornery onager

No Bart?
    No Al?
    No CJ? (I didn't get where I am today...)
    No Yamon? (or golden share descenders)
    No Denises?
    No Jerry?
    No Jackie?
    No Sleeveen?
    No Gombeen?
    No Johnny?
    No Larry?
    No Liam? What's your handicap these days anyway?

Looks like we will have to wait for the real leaks.

Not your ornery onager

in case it isnt out yet.

Pegasus Trust
    30 Botanic Avenue, Drumcondra,
    Dublin 9, Ireland
    Tel:+353 1 7978930
    Contacts:
    Robert Becker (email: rbecker@pegasus.ie)
    Paul McKenna (email: pmckenna@pegasus.ie)

Ah, that's well fup duck
    No docket no luck
    Thought horse was flying
    Now who is crying
    No Royal Canal
    Totally banal
    Red Parrot, pint Bass
    Not me, it's your ass

Let us all be frank
    Don't use the same bank
    Don't cross to St Luke's
    If you have to puke
    Just swallow it back
    It might taste like cack
    Don't do a U-turn
    Adjourn and adjourn

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,388 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Has it even been confirmed whether any of this was illegal?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Dr Strange

Surprise? Frank Flannery's name cropped up. :pac:

http://www.rte.ie/news/2016/0404/779310-panama-papers/
    Documents with the name of Rehab executive and former Fine Gael advisor Frank Flannery feature in an exposé of tax havens published after a year-long investigation into 11.5 million leaked documents.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,934 ✭✭✭20Cent

AdamD wrote: »

Arms sales to Syria, human trafficking, hiding money a lot of it is illegal.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Esel wrote: »
    No Bart?
    No Al?
    No CJ? (I didn't get where I am today...)
    No Yamon? (or golden share descenders)
    No Denises?
    No Jerry?
    No Jackie?
    No Sleeveen?
    No Gombeen?
    No Johnny?
    No Larry?
    No Liam? What's your handicap these days anyway?

Looks like we will have to wait for the real leaks.
    Well, they obviously have higher standards than to use some latin american law firm

• Registered Users Posts: 6,983 ✭✭✭conorhal

Call me a cynic, but I can almost see and politicians shrugging and mehing over this. If somoene from a non-Scandanavian Westen country even makes it to trial I'll be amazed.

They have plans to stop this from ever hurting them - that's why they are wheer they are.

Homer: You know, Mr. Burns, you're the richest guy I know. Way richer than Lenny.
    Mr. Burns: Yes, but I'd trade it all for a little more.

Those politicians can shrug all they like but they're not going to get too far insisting that the little people need to pay more taxes and charges to fund government if they're not prepared to do so.

The answer is to simplify the tax code to close off the loopholes. There was a very interesting series of documentaries on the tax system broadcast by Channel4 earlier in the year. They did a very good job of explaining the complexity of the tax code, in the 1970's the tax code was about 6 telephone directories thick, by the 80's it was a dozen, by the 90's it had grown a few more and a comission was established to 'simplify the tax code, at the end of which it was about 20 telephone directories high.
    If course now it appears quite clear why nobody is eager for reform.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,980 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Yes. The purpose of these sub company's was to charge fees for fake services rendered.

Company A makes 100k in profit. Company pays tax on that profit. If owner then takes the remaining money, they get roughly half.

This company charges 100k in fees. Takes a small percent and drops it into a bank account. No tax paid as no profit was made, money can be moved back or spent elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,433 ✭✭✭touts

Does it matter? In most countries if it was illegal they would go to jail. In this country if what they did was illegal they'll just go do some gardening for a couple of years and then start to rehabilitate their image by appearing on the various Saturday and Sunday radio show "expert" panels.

The initial leak, probably very illegal but reporting on it is fine. Why?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,236 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

KingBrian2 wrote: »
    The Icelandic PM felt the need to resign. Signs that the country has not got over the banking crisis it endured.

Pirate party set to sweep the upcoming icelandic election :) Yarrrr

http://icelandmonitor.mbl.is/news/politics_and_society/2016/04/01/pirates_still_ruling_the_roost_in_iceland/

• Advertisement

Reddit live thread, if anyone is interested. Possibly the best feed for keeping up with it globally.

Advertisement