Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WWW : Connacht vs Leinster

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

ClanofLams wrote: »
    Did you manage to see it ok this evening? 😅
    MugMugs wrote: »
    I stand erected and corrected. Uber kudos to Connacht. I put a hat on purely to tip it to you all.

Awwwwwwww man! I totally got in there ahead of you ! But fair dues for trying :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

neelia11 wrote: »
    The tackle on Niyi was high but nothing more then a penalty. I remember him knocking on but didnt think it was deliberate. If that was a YC in your opinion then Marmion should have gone too then when he slapped a ball down at a Leinster scrum ???

He jumped up one handed volleyball style - was no way he would be able to catch it- was deliberate. How it wasn't even a penalty is beyond me
    When I say "he was lucky" to not be binned I mean I've seen yellows for both those individual infringements so to get away with both is in my opinion "lucky". I agree I don't think Niyi one warranted a yellow but I've seen them given for less..
    I honestly don't remember Marmion slapping down at scrum. You mean when Reddan threw the ball to Marmion who was offside? Ye rightfully got a penalty- don't think was yellow card territory

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭neelia11

wp_rathead wrote: »
    He jumped up one handed volleyball style - was no way he would be able to catch it- was deliberate. How it wasn't even a penalty is beyond me
    When I say "he was lucky" to not be binned I mean I've seen yellows for both those individual infringements so to get away with both is in my opinion "lucky". I agree I don't think Niyi one warranted a yellow but I've seen them given for less..
    I honestly don't remember Marmion slapping down at scrum. You mean when Reddan threw the ball to Marmion who was offside? Ye rightfully got a penalty- don't think was yellow card territory

Reddan went to pass the ball and Marmion had gone offside and had one hand outstretched below hip height to block the pass and made no attempt to catch it.

Nacewa had his hand straight up in the air and tried to flick the ball backwards from what I can remember. Never ever a penalty

• Registered Users Posts: 5,937 ✭✭✭OldRio

Reddan went to pass the ball and Marmion had gone offside and had one hand outstretched below hip height to block the pass and made no attempt to catch it.

Or in the words of the commentators. 'Reddan bought that penalty' 'Cute play' 'He's been doing that sort of thing all his career' 'Smart play by Reddan'

OldRio wrote: »
    Or in the words of the commentators. 'Reddan bought that penalty' 'Cute play' 'He's been doing that sort of thing all his career' 'Smart play by Reddan'

Reddan didnt buy the penalty, it was for offside, Reddan didnt make Marmion go ahead of the ball

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Awwwwwwww man! I totally got in there ahead of you ! But fair dues for trying :)

Haha posting a load of nonsense for the week and then a one liner about standing corrected, nah still needed to be pointed out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,937 ✭✭✭OldRio

Reddan didnt buy the penalty, it was for offside, Reddan didnt make Marmion go ahead of the ball

OK. Those commentators lied. An ex Leinster player telling fibs. Naughty him.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

He 100% bought the penalty. You see the more experiences scrum halves doing it at the time. They spot someone offside and hoof the ball directly at them.

I think it's pretty clear that's what he was doing, watch it back and see where the ball would have gone if Marmion wasn't in that position, the "pass" wasn't actually aimed at any player.

I'm not criticising that tactic by the way, it's just clever play from the scrum half, but it's completely different from intentional knock ons.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Bazzo wrote: »
    He 100% bought the penalty. You see the more experiences scrum halves doing it at the time. They spot someone offside and hoof the ball directly at them.

I think it's pretty clear that's what he was doing, watch it back and see where the ball would have gone if Marmion wasn't in that position, the "pass" wasn't actually aimed at any player.

I'm not criticising that tactic by the way, it's just clever play from the scrum half, but it's completely different from intentional knock ons.

It's interesting that this is a perfectly accepted tactic, the SH making sure the ref sees the player offside, and yet when someone makes sure the ref knows he's been death slammed out of a ruck it's a disgrace. ;)

I know they're two different circumstances but the thought process is the same, is it not?

I will say that ouncer and myself rarely agree. But he's absolutely correct that Thornley barely knows what day of the week it is.

I haven't listened to it yet but I see Second Captains are discussing Connacht's "commitment to skills game when under pressure" with the one and only Gerry Thornley today. :eek:

• Advertisement

I haven't listened to it yet but I see Second Captains are discussing Connacht's "commitment to skills game when under pressure" with the one and only Gerry Thornley today. :eek:

Think I was fairly drunk when I posted that....quelle surprise! Probably overly harsh. I'm not really a big fan though, posted a few weeks ago that he was on second captains talking about end of season playoff which doesn't exist this season obviously.

Incidentally Gavin Cumminskey was doing the same on Off the Ball yesterday. The rugby department at the Irish Times obviously didn't get the memo.

Haha posting a load of nonsense for the week and then a one liner about standing corrected, nah still needed to be pointed out.

Having faith in your team a load of nonsense?

I quoted my original post too. Seriously...... You were beaten to it :) And again well done to Connacht. :)

Having faith in your team a load of nonsense?

I quoted my original post too. Seriously...... You were beaten to it :) And again well done to Connacht. :)

Recall something about Connacht forwards passing around kleenex or some other nonsense.

So because you make one post about being wrong no one else is allowed to. Weird logic. By the way had you posted something about expecting a tough game but leinster win, I wouldn't have said anything. But you posted utter tripe so it needed to be pointed out.

Recall something about Connacht forwards passing around kleenex or some other nonsense.

So because you make one post about being wrong no one else is allowed to. Weird logic. By the way had you posted something about expecting a tough game but leinster win, I wouldn't have said anything. But you posted utter tripe so it needed to be pointed out.

Please accept my utmost apologies.

I am truly sorry for having every faith in my team and for believing that they had the ability to beat Connacht.

I am furthermore apologetic for my tongue in cheek statement wherein I said
    What an awesome bench. Connacht have to be wearing man sized nappies and sharing the kleenex looking at that.
    Which you completely failed to grasp. Perhaps as your team and yourself mature with more wins, you'll understand the meaning of a sore winner and indeed, develop a sense of humour.

Please accept my utmost apologies.

I am truly sorry for having every faith in my team and for believing that they had the ability to beat Connacht.

I am furthermore apologetic for my tongue in cheek statement wherein I said
    Which you completely failed to grasp. Perhaps as your team and yourself mature with more wins, you'll understand the meaning of a sore winner and indeed, develop a sense of humour.

Perhaps you might learn not to post about expecting comfortable victories against a team top of the league who have lost once at home all season. Admittedly you didn't know the location of the game at that time but when you were informed you stood by your arrogant (by your own admission) statements.

Pointing out someone's mistakes in being arrogant before the game isn't sore winning but rather trying to teach them that perhaps they should have a little more common sense in the future.

image.ashx?cpath=000%5c000%5c144%5c007%5cinpho_00975713_960x720.jpg

image.ashx?cpath=000%5c000%5c144%5c007%5cinpho_00975713_960x720.jpg

Lol. Good comeback!

• Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭Journeyman_1

This thread is done I think...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,483 ✭✭✭swiwi_

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    I watched 7 games of rugby yesterday and this one definitely had the greatest intensity. Pity the skill level didn't match it

I'd agree. I think Irish sides in general (including the National team) attack too narrowly, and the main move in the red zone is one-off the ruck type stuff. Connacht did try to keep it moving etc and put in a few off-loads, but at the end of the day 7 points across 2 games again the 2nd placed-team is fairly damning. Don't see Connacht winning the Pro 12 once the other sides are back to their full complements if they can only score once per game against the better teams. Not that Leinster covered themselves in attacking glory either, but they have cavalry in the wings.

I thought Denis Buckley was really good - it remains a mystery to me how he remains outside the provincial squad, especially as his team-mate got an unexpected call-up. Looks like the kind of guy who would shine in Super Rugby...

I also spared a thought for Gopperth and the shìt he received during his time in the Pale after another very ordinary display from Madigan. Gopperth seems to be going fine for Wasps. I hope Jamison Gibson-Park doesn't have to endure the same treatment (assuming he signs/has signed for Leinster) if he proves to be better than McGrath, which is quite possible.

Despite the underwhelming attacking prowess, I must doff my hat to Connacht, I didn't expect them to be leading the table at this stage of the season, and as you said elsewhere it's nice to see Pat Lam getting results.

Also, Aki should go well in Green. He can lead the Haka, I expect Ireland to introduce this in the near future :P

• Registered Users Posts: 7,337 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

swiwi_ wrote: »
    I'd agree. I think Irish sides in general (including the National team) attack too narrowly, and the main move in the red zone is one-off the ruck type stuff.

You're being ridiculous now. We have the Sexton loop as well.
    That's worth ... at least three points every few games.

To be more serious though, I think it might be a hangover from the Schmidt Leinster era in a way. Leinster at that point generated fast enough ball early on ion phases that hitting one-out and recycle ball play worked a charm and defenses couldn't react quick enough. Now, it's not so effective. Leinstertainment wasn't built on throwing it wide straight away.

To be more serious, maybe it's not just one move.
    I also spared a thought for Gopperth and the shìt he received during his time in the Pale after another very ordinary display from Madigan. Gopperth seems to be going fine for Wasps.

It wasn't solely or even mainly Gopperth's fault for the ire. I quite like the guy. Good little player. I would also be ok with us never having signed him and MOC trusting Madigan to play all the games, even when he wasn't in form. Instead of dropping him at the first chance and slotting Gopps in, regardless of form.
    Despite the underwhelming attacking prowess, I must doff my hat to Connacht, I didn't expect them to be leading the table at this stage of the season, and as you said elsewhere it's nice to see Pat Lam getting results.

Watching the game, my impression was that Connacht gave it their all, Leinster weren't in full on mode.. Reactions at the final whistle seem to bear that out. As a Leinster fan, we lost that game, deservedly so. If it comes to it in the playoffs though, we'd win seven, maybe eight times out of ten.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

I'd agree. I think Irish sides in general (including the National team) attack too narrowly, and the main move in the red zone is one-off the ruck type stuff. Connacht did try to keep it moving etc and put in a few off-loads, but at the end of the day 7 points across 2 games again the 2nd placed-team is fairly damning. Don't see Connacht winning the Pro 12 once the other sides are back to their full complements if they can only score once per game against the better teams. Not that Leinster covered themselves in attacking glory either, but they have cavalry in the wings.

Both games were in pretty tough conditions, particularly the game in the RDS. Leinster didn't exactly run riot scoring tries either. To put it in context Connacht scored 5 tries in 2 games against the third-placed team and are well clear in the tries scored column. A home semi in better conditions in May and I'd have no fear of any team the way Lam has them playing...

It wasn't solely or even mainly Gopperth's fault for the ire. I quite like the guy. Good little player. I would also be ok with us never having signed him and MOC trusting Madigan to play all the games, even when he wasn't in form. Instead of dropping him at the first chance and slotting Gopps in, regardless of form. .

This topic came up before and for what it's worth in Gopperth's first season himself and Madigan had near enough the same number of starts. It wasn't until his second season that Gopperth became first choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭Journeyman_1

This topic came up before and for what it's worth in Gopperth's first season himself and Madigan had near enough the same number of starts. It wasn't until his second season that Gopperth became first choice.

The problem though was the lack of continuity that both players received. Every other week the other guy would have the 10 shirt and were making mistakes due to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,911 ✭✭✭jacothelad

I thought Denis Buckley was really good - it remains a mystery to me how he remains outside the provincial squad, especially as his team-mate got an unexpected call-up. Looks like the kind of guy who would shine in Super Rugby...

I also spared a thought for Gopperth and the shìt he received during his time in the Pale after another very ordinary display from Madigan. Gopperth seems to be going fine for Wasps. I hope Jamison Gibson-Park doesn't have to endure the same treatment (assuming he signs/has signed for Leinster) if he proves to be better than McGrath, which is quite possible.

Also, Aki should go well in Green. He can lead the Hucklebuck, I expect Ireland to introduce this in the near future :P

Correction....to Daniel O'Donnell singing it live.

Zzippy wrote: »
    Both games were in pretty tough conditions, particularly the game in the RDS. Leinster didn't exactly run riot scoring tries either. To put it in context Connacht scored 5 tries in 2 games against the third-placed team and are well clear in the tries scored column. A home semi in better conditions in May and I'd have no fear of any team the way Lam has them playing...

Zebre scored 49 points against connacht and in general connacht have conceded 70% more then leinster so far this season in the pro12. Connacht have been great to watch at times this season especially going forward but defence is a major issue.

Connacht have been able to build from july onwards while the internationals in the leinster squad have been away for 6 months of the season including pre season. Based on that why has the defence been so poor?

Zebre scored 49 points against connacht and in general connacht have conceded 70% more then leinster so far this season in the pro12. Connacht have been great to watch at times this season especially going forward but defence is a major issue.

Connacht have been able to build from july onwards while the internationals in the leinster squad have been away for 6 months of the season including pre season. Based on that why has the defence been so poor?

That's the "Super Rugby" way though, isn't it? It's fairly rare to see a low scoring game there.

To be fair to Connacht their defense held up well against Leinster at the weekend, especially in the last few minutes. You could probably argue though that Leinster were pretty toothless and if Sexton had been pulling the strings it may have been a different story. Fairly sure there'd have at least been a drop goal attempt towards the end.

That's the "Super Rugby" way though, isn't it? It's fairly rare to see a low scoring game there.

To be fair to Connacht their defense held up well against Leinster at the weekend, especially in the last few minutes. You could probably argue though that Leinster were pretty toothless and if Sexton had been pulling the strings it may have been a different story. Fairly sure there'd have at least been a drop goal attempt towards the end.

Well against by far the best defence in the league they have struggled. One score in two games. Leinster have struggled in attack at times but with a fullish selection (and pre season together) to choose from will get better next season. If defence is as good or better then it puts leinster in a good place

Well against by far the best defence in the league they have struggled. One score in two games. Leinster have struggled in attack at times but with a fullish selection (and pre season together) to choose from will get better next season. If defence is as good or better then it puts leinster in a good place

I agree, and as great as this season has been for Connacht next season will be the real test for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Esto Fidelis

Leinster were toothless, Mads just not interested I think now he's heading for the sun. Connacht fully deserved the win, hey used home advantage to the full, the high position of the pitch means the wind is a big factor and they played to that.

On a side note, did anyone here have tickets for the enclosure. Shane Horgan, Frankie Sheehan and the Sky guys blocked our views, see attached. At €88.00 (2) it was not good.

• Advertisement

Both games in bad conditions. One win a piece. One try a piece. For ten minutes the last day Connacht had Caolin Blade (a scrum half who has about 10 appearances) playing at 10 and Shane O'Leary making his first pro 12 appearance against anyone other than Zebre at 10 for another ten minutes. Also missing Ultan Dillane, Jake Heenan (and backup 7 Fox Matamua), Eoghan Masterson, Jack Carty and Craig Ronaldson aswell as other squad players. So it's not like Connacht were fully settled either.

Advertisement