Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WWW : Connacht vs Leinster

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭neelia11

Point proven now me thinks. And Joe have a look at it. We can close a game out against your international team. What does that say for your selections?

it says absolutely nothing really. Healy kept losing the ball in contact for example. In two games between these sides this season connacht have one score in 160 minutes of rugby against the "international team". For all the talk about connacht's way of playing that little fact speaks volumes. You can argue with opinion about the merits of any player but thats just opinion.

It looked like the wind seriously died in the second half, can anyone that was there confirm or deny?

Leinster lose another game they should have won, but can't take it away from Connacht, well done. Defense was immense towards the end, and they suffered with injuries from before and during the game.

the wind seemed to be much the same based on a few kicks [one went dead, the quick pen by kirchner] just madigan seemed to completely unable to avoid hitting a connacht hand. No control at 10 at all. Still think Leinster could do much worse then look at McGinty for next season.

Vs Munster?

Who will back themselves after that.

I'd say Leinster are going to beat them out of sight personally.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Yeah, especially now we've got Andy Farrell back up with the Dublin mafia to let us in on all their little secrets. Should be an easy enough game. But sure Munster are only a development side so we take no glory from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭Sean Kinsella

As a Leinster fan, I hope you're right.

Personally, I can see another fiercely contested provincial derby decided by 5 points or fewer, either way.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭Billysays no

neelia11 wrote: »
    it says absolutely nothing really. Healy kept losing the ball in contact for example. In two games between these sides this season connacht have one score in 160 minutes of rugby against the "international team". For all the talk about connacht's way of playing that little fact speaks volumes. You can argue with opinion about the merits of any player but thats just opinion.
    We won a 7-6 game. Not only do we play exciting we win tight games. Can u remember that? This is us. Come beat us

We won a 7-6 game. Not only do we play exciting we win tight games. Can u remember that? This is us. Come beat us

eh New Years Day? Remember that when connacht scored NIL. For all the talk of how great connacht are attacking, against the best defence in the league, against players quite a few connacht fans mock over international selection, connacht have ONE score in 160 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭MarinersBlues

It looked like the wind seriously died in the second half, can anyone that was there confirm or deny?

It wasn't as prevailing/consistent as it was in the first half.
    It disappeared at times and picked up at other times.

That certainly favoured Connacht but Leinster won the toss and decided to bank on it in the second half. You should take it when it's there!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

It was blowing in my face both half's so very much deny

Gloat post for tomorrow. For now I'm celebrating

We nilled you in January.

Let's see how things go if you end up playing Leinster's first choice side in a neutral venue. I would be delighted with a Leinster/Connacht final in Murrayfield, would be a great occasion in a great city with two great sets of fans.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

What did we think of Robb? Thought he made some decent lines at times and made two particularly impressive tackles. He had big shoes to fill.

Also was really hard to see the replay of Isa's first tackle on Niyi. Was it actually high?

What did we think of Robb? Thought he made some decent lines at times and made two particularly impressive tackles. He had big shoes to fill.

Also was really hard to see the replay of Isa's first tackle on Niyi. Was it actually high?

RE: my earlier opinion:-

EDIT: I stand corrected, below.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Borders no.2

One score over 160 minutes fair enough but the conditions for both matches were appalling and were never going to be try fests. Until the last few minutes tonight Leinster never remotely threatened a try. Some games are arm-wrestles. We've lost a few of those type of games but we deservedly won this one.

Leinster may well go on and win the league but in terms of where they want to get there is serious surgery needed within their squad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

Isa's tackle was certainly high on Niyi. Right call.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Padkir

Just the right side of legal, I believe.

That was basically Nacewa all night... Another ref would have had him in the bin. Always seemed to be putting borderline hits in and was only done once for it.

Edit: those are my thoughts from being at the match; maybe the replays will show he was OK with most of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,429 ✭✭✭✭cson

Just back from the match so don't know how it looked on TV but how Nacewa completed 80mins is beyond me. Two clear cut dangerously high tackles, neck/head high stuff. Owens bottled that.

eh New Years Day? Remember that when connacht scored NIL. For all the talk of how great connacht are attacking, against the best defence in the league, against players quite a few connacht fans mock over international selection, connacht have ONE score in 160 minutes.

And ye have scored the same against the defense that is consistently mocked as having revolving doors looking after it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭gally74

Thought Finlay did brilliantly for 75 mins

Buckley is the best loose head in Ireland

Sean had a great game

O Leary looked good when he came on

cson wrote: »
    Just back from the match so don't know how it looked on TV but how Nacewa completed 80mins is beyond me. Two clear cut dangerously high tackles, neck/head high stuff. Owens bottled that.

one on Niyi he was penalised for but it wasnt YC territory. He put one big hit on AJ i think which was fine. Dont recall any other

And ye have scored the same against the defense that is consistently mocked as having revolving doors looking after it.

Well if the conditions of both games is an excuse for connachts attack, does the same apply for leinster?

Leinster have issues in attack, some of which is down to how this season has been so disjointed.

• Advertisement

one on Niyi he was penalised for but it wasnt YC territory. He put one big hit on AJ i think which was fine. Dont recall any other

The AJ one was high and very dangerous.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Iompair

2 tackles that were just legal and no more, never wrapped his arms on McGinty though, lucky to get away with it.

A rematch in good weather and Connacht can make it 2 weeks from 3 easy Leinster were pretty poor in conditions ideally suited to their brand of rugby.

One score over 160 minutes fair enough but the conditions for both matches were appalling and were never going to be try fests. Until the last few minutes tonight Leinster never remotely threatened a try. Some games are arm-wrestles. We've lost a few of those type of games but we deservedly won this one.

Leinster may well go on and win the league but in terms of where they want to get there is serious surgery needed within their squad.[/QUOTE]

We need to release a few and that's for certain.

The AJ one was high and very dangerous.

definitely wasnt high, in the chest is allowed and he did wrap

• Registered Users Posts: 14,429 ✭✭✭✭cson

Another thing I took from the match; I think Madigan is the most yellow player I've seen in a while. Just did not want to know there today. I reckon his shirt was as white as it was in minute 1 as it was in minute 80. How he's been one of the first names in the Irish squad is beyond me. Doesn't lead, doesn't take the ball into contact, makes poor decisions kicking from hand and tries mind boggling idiotic stuff with it in hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,197 ✭✭✭✭Buer

He's many things but he isn't yellow if you've watched him at all over the years. I've given him a rough time but he's generally a very brave and reliable tackler and goes into contact aggressively.

cson wrote: »
    Another thing I took from the match; I think Madigan is the most yellow player I've seen in a while. Just did not want to know there today. I reckon his shirt was as white as it was in minute 1 as it was in minute 80. How he's been one of the first names in the Irish squad is beyond me. Doesn't lead, doesn't take the ball into contact, makes poor decisions kicking from hand and tries mind boggling idiotic stuff with it in hand.

I wouldn't call him as lacking in courage, but for whatever reason, both in provincial and international terms, the word I'd use would be disappointing and that comes from someone who saw him as a real and genuine prospect.

That said, he's streets ahead of Marsh, who gives (as it stands and the lad is still only 24), no indication of knocking on Cullen's door as an irresistible selection.

Leinster may well go on and win the league but in terms of where they want to get there is serious surgery needed within their squad.

Ah I'm sorry but that's a gross overstatement.

Our squad is pretty excellent. Think of the players we were missing today. Just the back row, for example, we were missing Jamie Heaslip, Sean O'Brien, Jack Conan and Jordi Murphy. All capped internationals, and 2 Lions test players. Add even one of those to our starting team and suddenly we've got one of the best back rows in Europe again.

We have a problem in our depth at 10, and that will not be resolved soon. We look to have a solution at 9 and another one soon arriving. Our midfield has gone from a huge strength to a huge weakness back to a huge strength.

Next season the only part of the side I'm really worried about is our depth at 10 in the absence of Sexton (hugely important as it is). Outside of that position I think we've got the best depth in the league.

Outside of that position I think we've got the best depth in the league.

Add in a squad together from pre season onwards and with the AIs causing less disruption then the RWC should see a step up too

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 996 ✭✭✭1eg0a3xv7b82of

I know Healy dropped a good few balls tonight but what was encouraging was he was he taking up good positions to receive the ball, maybe he was trying too hard to prove a point considering who was opposite him tonight.
    But why oHalloran and Buckley are not in the Irish shake up is truly bizarre.
    that game tonight was where the leinster lions were meant to show their superior international class.
    If i were able to get Henshaws ear I would say these simple words, "If you want to be all you can be, stay"

Advertisement