Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dunkirk (Christopher Nolan, 2017)

Options
  • 22-09-2015 5:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭

So,
    Seems Christopher Nolans new project has been announced http://www.imdb.com/title/tt5013056/?ref_=nm_flmg_dr_1, No plot details yet, but I'd imagine
    Micheal Caine will star and Hans Zimmer will be doing the music :).

But just curious looking at imdb, in the trivia section, seems any crap can be published :
    Matthew McConaughey turned down the opportunity of reprising his role as Cooper in this follow up to Interstellar, so the script was rewritten to utilize the time shifts and Clint Eastwood was cast.

This is not the message board either, its the trivia section, should be true at least.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Everything on IMDb, even the filmographies, is user-edited. Submissions are “checked” for accuracy, but not properly. There’s all sorts of rubbish on there.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Anyone can add trivia to IMDB, afaik.

I doubt any real information will come about this until the middle of next year and even then it'll only be tiny snippets.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,337 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

The only thing that's known is the date, afaik.

http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=45341

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭cowboyBuilder

I would love to have the discipline to just ignore all marketing for this and walk in to the cinema not knowing the plot like I did for The Prestige - greatest cinematic experience ever.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

Is his brother working on this with him as well? I hope so. The two of them together are a killer team.

Also, this better be another 70mm IMAX spectacle.

So,
    Seems Christopher Nolans new project has been announced http://www.imdb.com/title/tt5013056/?ref_=nm_flmg_dr_1, No plot details yet, but I'd imagine
    [B¡]Micheal Caine will star and Hans Zimmer will be doing the music [/b]:).

But just curious looking at imdb, in the trivia section, seems any crap can be published :

This is not the message board either, its the trivia section, should be true at least.

Definitely did not see that coming!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

So all Nolan has to do now is announce he is making a movie and the hype-train begins :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

Bacchus wrote: »
    So all Nolan has to do now is announce he is making a movie and the hype-train begins :D

Choo choooooo! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Sphynxinatron

Hope the climax in this one is better resolved. Man I was loving Interstellar but that thing about "love transcending space and time" actually influencing the plot really deminished the movie for me. It felt so un-Nolan ._.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,629 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I would love if he did another film in same vein as Insomnia or Memento and got Joaquin Phoenix to star

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭gloobag

Apparently he's recently had meetings about a trilogy based on Akira. Probably with Leo DiCaprio involved in some way, as it's his production company that are making it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85,629 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

His next film is Dunkirk set during the evacuation of the French town of Dunkirk during World War II with Tom Hardy, Kenneth Branagh and Mark Rylance to join the cast http://variety.com/2015/film/news/chistopher-nolan-mark-rylance-movie-1201662561/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 187 ✭✭warpdrive

Interesting choice. Glad to see the mention of the plans to film and produce it for 70mm IMAX, Nolan fans who travelled to the UK to see his previous movies in the format will be doing that again I'm sure

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

I kind of hope it's a straight up film about Dunkirk and doesn't involve sci-fi fanciness. I like Nolan as a director, but feel that his writing is subpar when he tries to force over the top "look how smart I am" twists into them, and it takes away from the finished product.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Simon2015

I wish Nolan would do something different there has already been more than enough films made about WW2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Simon2015 wrote: »
    I wish Nolan would do something different there has already been more than enough films made about WW2.

Im actually lookig forward to it. Want to how nolan does a historical war film

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,189 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Simon2015 wrote: »

Well he's never done ww2 movie tbf, this will be a bit of a departure for him if it's just a straight up war film.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,523 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Dunkirk is an interesting choice. Should be decent at least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

So many CGI ships and boats and planes....:(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,964 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

It's a fascinating part of ww2, and it'd certainly be hard to twist it into anything overtly jingoistic or flag-waving: it was the endpoint of a complete military disaster after all, with only the rallying of the various civilian & merchant ships saving the day, and most of the British army.

At this stage Nolan has tried his hands at so many genres and tones, it'd be interesting to see a straight-up historical tale. Lord knows he can command the kind of budget that'd enable him to film Dunkirk with the actual cast of thousands you'd need; anyone else would likely be forced into using CGI.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Apart from Joe Wright’s Atonement, isn’t the evacuation of Dunkirk relatively virgin territory for WW2 movies, at least non-propaganda ones? Most Americans probably aren’t very familiar with it or have a simplistic understanding of what happened on the European Front pre-American involvement. It could be very interesting as well being a great showcase of old-school cinematic spectacle.

• Advertisement

pixelburp wrote: »
    It's a fascinating part of ww2, and it'd certainly be hard to twist it into anything overtly jingoistic or flag-waving: it was the endpoint of a complete military disaster after all, with only the rallying of the various civilian & merchant ships saving the day, and most of the British army.

At this stage Nolan has tried his hands at so many genres and tones, it'd be interesting to see a straight-up historical tale. Lord knows he can command the kind of budget that'd enable him to film Dunkirk with the actual cast of thousands you'd need; anyone else would likely be forced into using CGI.
    Apart from Joe Wright’s Atonement, isn’t the evacuation of Dunkirk relatively virgin territory for WW2 movies, at least non-propaganda ones? Most Americans probably aren’t very familiar with it or have a simplistic understanding of what happened on the European Front pre-American involvement. It could be very interesting as well being a great showcase of old-school cinematic spectacle.

Which is why the budget for this film will not be as big as Nolan would ideally like or indeed need to do it "for real".

There is no chance of the average hayseed trooping out to see this, no heroic Americans and no romantic angle even.

After the string of box office hits he's had, I think Nolan will get whatever budget he wants. It won't be all "real" of course. That's impossible.

And we don't know what the story is yet. Maybe he'll shoehorn some Americans into the mix.

After the string of box office hits he's had, I think Nolan will get whatever budget he wants. It won't be all "real" of course. That's impossible.

And we don't know what the story is yet. Maybe he'll shoehorn some Americans into the mix.

Ah yes that forgotten band of brothers who were caught behind enemy lines, as their ensemble played at Calais and Nieuport.

Starring Denzel Washington as Jeff "jazz hands" Murphy and Idris Elba as Trombone Toots-Tim.

Probably throw in a few American volunteer pilots flying for the RAF.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

The scope is endless, it could be a film about the immediate evacuation itself, or it could also cover several days prior to that point.

It's a topic that's barely been covered before, even though it's importance is beyond words.

Without Dunkirk, there would have been no Battle of Britain, and no D-Day. It was a tremendous achievement.

It would be a genuine insult if an American pops up in this film, but Nolan would be perfectly aware of that so I doubt he'd pander.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

It would be a genuine insult if an American pops up in this film, but Nolan would be perfectly aware of that so I doubt he'd pander.

That's a bit sensationalist, as previously pointed out there were Americans flying with the RAF prior to American involvement in the war.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,737 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

That's a bit sensationalist, as previously pointed out there were Americans flying with the RAF prior to American involvement in the war.

Afaik there were as many Irish pilots in the RAF as there were Americans, which wasnt that many, 10 or so.. and the Polish had the biggest non-national numbers in it's ranks, they (The Polish) also held the highest kill ratio for enemy planes.

I'm looking forward to this though, in churchill's words the events leading to Dunkirk were a "colossal military disaster" - He himself expected that only 20 -30,000 would be rescued, in actual fact, the number rescued was in excess of 338,000 including french forces.

I hope that Nolan shows that the remainder of the french army held those beaches until the bitter end - most of whom were either killed or captured

Canadians would be more plausible. Americans formed their own Eagle Squadrons in the RAF but not until the summer in 1940.

• Advertisement

Afaik there were as many Irish pilots in the RAF as there were Americans, which wasnt that many, 10 or so.. and the Polish had the biggest non-national numbers in it's ranks, they (The Polish) also held the highest kill ratio for enemy planes.

I'm looking forward to this though, in churchill's words the events leading to Dunkirk were a "colossal military disaster" - He himself expected that only 20 -30,000 would be rescued, in actual fact, the number rescued was in excess of 338,000 including french forces.

I hope that Nolan shows that the remainder of the french army held those beaches until the bitter end - most of whom were either killed or captured

Fair point, the Poles contribution to the Allied effort is usually understated by popular media. Still I expect Nolan's work to be more historically accurate than say U-571.

Advertisement