Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dunkirk (Christopher Nolan, 2017)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭Calibos

Bacchus wrote: »
    How are you glad you don't know who someone is if you don't know who they are to know that you would be glad you didn't know who they are?

That sentence actually makes perfect sense!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,377 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

How are you glad you don't know who someone is if you don't know who they are to know that you would be glad you didn't know who they are?

Because really:
    he does know.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

:D

Because by other comments here saying how Nolan has sold out and just trying to appeal to the young, I'm assuming he is some sort of Ed Sheeran type singer/songwriter ?
    Or maybe he won Big Brother 29 ?

either may, pop culture ****e... and I won't regognise him in the movie - and gladly so, it won't be a distraction and hope he is a good actor.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

:D

Because by other comments here saying how Nolan has sold out and just trying to appeal to the young, I'm assuming he is some sort of Ed Sheeran type singer/songwriter ?
    Or maybe he won Big Brother 29 ?

either may, pop culture ****e... and I won't regognise him in the movie - and gladly so, it won't be a distraction and hope he is a good actor.

The lady doth protest too much :p

You won't be able to miss him anyway because he'll be the one singing his latest #1 hit from the "Christopher Nolan directed Summer blockbuster Dunkirk" to keep the soldiers spirits up.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

The lady doth protest too much :p

You won't be able to miss him anyway because he'll be the one singing his latest #1 hit from the "Christopher Nolan directed Summer blockbuster Dunkirk" to keep the soldiers spirits up.

It's funny, I was tempted to do a google image search on him, but I won't ... I will find out after I see it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,844 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

Saw it tonight in the Lighthouse (quick intro from Cillian Murphy too :)) It's good, not as good as I thought it would be. One small gripe, the score. It was amazing, but maybe a bit overused? I couldn't hear half of the dialogue.

Styles was fantastic. People can give out about the casting all they like, but he auditioned, impressed Nolan, and got the part. It was well deserved.

I'll give it an 8/10.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭George White

Saw it tonight in the Lighthouse (quick intro from Cillian Murphy too :)) It's good, not as good as I thought it would be. One small gripe, the score. It was amazing, but maybe a bit overused? I couldn't hear half of the dialogue.

Styles was fantastic. People can give out about the casting all they like, but he auditioned, impressed Nolan, and got the part. It was well deserved.

I'll give it an 8/10.
    Styles' casting is also in a tradition. See John Leyton in The Great Escape and Von Ryan's Express.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

Call me paranoid but I think this movie should be viewed with a great deal of wariness. I haven't seen it yet but I have seen interviewers with the director Christopher Nolan in which he makes it clear he won't be talking about the political background or strategic concerns: he will focus completely on the little people on the beach and in the boats. It's an adventure story; the background and the assumption that the Brits are the good guys is a given.

All well and good, but let's take TODAY'S political background into consideration. It is the first great Brexit movie, because what after all was Dunkirk if not a headlong retreat from Europe by Britain in a desperate attempt to cut their losses?

You cannot view the past through anything but the lens of the present. This movie is intended to reassure the British people that a retreat from Europe is a good idea, a courageous move and one in which they will ALWAYS be the good guys.

Most reviewers make the point that the film The Alamo starring John Wayne made in 1960 it was clear that Wayne et al were making oblique references to Vietnam, in which America was then becoming embroiled, while talking about the Texas-Mexico conflict of more than 100 years previous.

And that's just one example. Arthur Miller's the Crucible, ostensibly about the Salem witch trials of the 17th century was really about 1950s McCarthyism and I am sure there are others.

As the world realigns to a situation like the second world war, with Britain America and Russia in an expedient alliance against the rest of Europe it is necessary for the British to convince themselves they are ALWAYS the good guys in this sort of conflict. Even when:
    their main allies are the grotesque pair of Trump and Putin;
    their main rivals are the much more worthy Merkel and Macron;
    they are on the side of unfettered fossil fuel consumption and achieving Energy Dominance (listen out for that term, we're going to hear it a lot); mainland Europe, by contrast, is diving headfirst into renewable energy and phasing out internal combustion engined cars within a few decades.

And that's before you even think of how cosy they are all getting with the odious President Erdogan of Turkey, or how they are encouraging the Middle East to immolate itself.

Yup. They're the good guys. This Dunkirk movie is just a healthy (or unhealthy) wodge of CGI generated propaganda for the present day.

Don't get fooled again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Jurgen Klopp

Jaysus lad

• Registered Users Posts: 42 houlihand

Looking forward to this!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Hopefully they have a bit where the germans go:

"so do we wipe them out now or what?"

"nah f**k it, leave them"

Or the bit where the French hold the line against the germans for the evacuation and then get left behind

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭Shurimgreat

Bambi wrote: »

Or the bit where the French hold the line against the germans for the evacuation and then get left behind

To be fair, a lot of British soldiers also held the line and got left behind. And a lot of French soldiers were evacuated and went on to form the Free French Army.

I don't think the British could have done much more with Dunkirk or in defending France either.

I'm looking forward to the film as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

I imagine it will be a big pile of crap like every major WW2 film is now

Bambi wrote: »

This is actually true, in essence.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

All well and good, but let's take TODAY'S political background into consideration. It is the first great Brexit movie, because what after all was Dunkirk if not a headlong retreat from Europe by Britain in a desperate attempt to cut their losses?

you aint no film critic bruv :D

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunkirk_(2017_film)
    Nolan wrote the script, told from three perspectives–the land, sea and air–to contain little dialogue and create suspense solely through details. Filming began in May 2016 in Dunkirk, France, and ended in Los Angeles, United States, where it also began post-production.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

You cannot view the past through anything but the lens of the present. This movie is intended to reassure the British people that a retreat from Europe is a good idea, a courageous move and one in which they will ALWAYS be the good guys.

You do realise the British return to Europe in 1944, right? Check out A Bridge Too Far and D-Day to find out what happens after Dunkirk - quite the eye-opener!

As for your CGI comment, you clearly haven't watched many Nolan interviews. He abhors CGI and actively works against having to include it in his films.

This is something of a novel idea in the age of the internet, but have you tried watching the film yet? Bizarre concept, I know, but it does help with crafting a 'review'.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,646 ✭✭✭storker

This is actually true, in essence.

Not really. Over 100,000 French soldiers were also evacuated to Britain from various. Nearly 25% of the soldiers rescued at Dunkirk were not British, and most of the British 51st Highland Division was left behind.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,646 ✭✭✭storker

Sir Humphrey! Nice to see you... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Mezcita

I haven't seen it yet but

Stopped reading after this bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

The movie is about the battle at Dunkirk, not Brexit, the clue is in the name.

There's always one plonker who has to fabricate an imaginary link between a movie nad present day events.

You mean Glen Beck was wrong when he said George Bush was like Batman.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Call me paranoid but I think this movie should be viewed with a great deal of wariness. I haven't seen it yet but I have seen interviewers with the director Christopher Nolan in which he makes it clear he won't be talking about the political background or strategic concerns: he will focus completely on the little people on the beach and in the boats. It's an adventure story; the background and the assumption that the Brits are the good guys is a given.

Most reviewers make the point that the film The Alamo starring John Wayne made in 1960 it was clear that Wayne et al were making oblique references to Vietnam, in which America was then becoming embroiled, while talking about the Texas-Mexico conflict of more than 100 years previous.

And that's just one example. Arthur Miller's the Crucible, ostensibly about the Salem witch trials of the 17th century was really about 1950s McCarthyism and I am sure there are others.

As the world realigns to a situation like the second world war, with Britain America and Russia in an expedient alliance against the rest of Europe it is necessary for the British to convince themselves they are ALWAYS the good guys in this sort of conflict. Even when:
    their main allies are the grotesque pair of Trump and Putin;
    their main rivals are the much more worthy Merkel and Macron;
    they are on the side of unfettered fossil fuel consumption and achieving Energy Dominance (listen out for that term, we're going to hear it a lot); mainland Europe, by contrast, is diving headfirst into renewable energy and phasing out internal combustion engined cars within a few decades.

And that's before you even think of how cosy they are all getting with the odious President Erdogan of Turkey, or how they are encouraging the Middle East to immolate itself.

Yup. They're the good guys. This Dunkirk movie is just a healthy (or unhealthy) wodge of CGI generated propaganda for the present day.

Don't get fooled again!

Blame it on trump and you will be hailed a genius in the current climate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Reviews are calling this the film of the year and Nolans best. Looks like Mr Nolan has outdone himself once again

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,217 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

It's the part where Mark Rylance turns directly towards the camera and says "let's hope the Brits never find themselves running away from Europe again *audible wink*" that really makes it film of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,335 ✭✭✭xtal191

Is the IFI the only cinema showing this in 70mm?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,217 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

xtal191 wrote: »
    Is the IFI the only cinema showing this in 70mm?

The IFI is the only 70mm cinema in the country!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

has anyone pointed out to Snickers Man that Dunkirk the film has been in the planning, prep and making for about 5 years?

Falthyron wrote: »
    As for your CGI comment, you clearly haven't watched many Nolan interviews. He abhors CGI and actively works against having to include it in his films.

Are you telling me every "soldier" in this shot is played by an individual live actor?

dunkirk1.jpg?itok=9nyPSORx

I'm no expert but it just looks a little bit "generated" to me.

Falthyron wrote: »
    This is something of a novel idea in the age of the internet, but have you tried watching the film yet? Bizarre concept, I know, but it does help with crafting a 'review'.
    I made clear that I was basing my comments on an interview with the film's director that I had read. I'm sure it will be a rollicking good adventure story. (it was)

But just bear the international background perspective in mind. That's all I'm saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 houlihand

Early reviews are raving about it! Oscar worthy apparently..

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,966 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Are you telling me every "soldier" in this shot is played by an individual live actor?

dunkirk1.jpg?itok=9nyPSORx

I'm no expert but it just looks a little bit "generated" to me.

It's likely most of those soldiers are real yes, bar a few way off in the back of shot: I don't have the exact numbers on hand, but Nolan very definitely made use of hundreds of extras for his scenes. No more than he has done with all his other projects, as however he swung it he's one of the few Hollywood directors still able to wrangle the use of extras by the hundred. The big street-battle at the end of Dark Knight Rises was done through the use of a real crowd of extras, and it looks to be the same deal here in recreating the beaches at Dunkirk.

That's not to say there won't be CGI used to pad out the numbers however: the big difference being that Nolan starts out with physical props and only uses CGI to brush out the loose ends.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭flangemeistro

Looks like a lot of unnecessary people got a fat paycheck for doing absolutely nothing.
    KdGIU

No CGI me hole. I suppose he still doesn't use a mobile phone either does he?
    He contacts prospective actors by raven.

Advertisement