Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dunkirk (Christopher Nolan, 2017)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,527 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Not really sure about this, the trailers look technically impressive as you would expect from Nolan but I'm not as exicited about this as I was about Nolan's last six releases.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

Someone in that trailer is getting a call from Ralph fiennes wanting his face back

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

Dots1982 wrote: »
    Someone in that trailer is getting a call from Ralph fiennes wanting his face back

Lol, I had to rewind and watch it back to make sure it wasn't Ralph Fiennes digitally enhanced to look younger!

Who is that actor??

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

You mean James D'Arcy? I never noticed it before but I guess he does look a bit like Fiennes.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,291 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Also I really didn't like the trailer very sterile and clean for a WW2 film.

I liked it. I think it's going to look amazing in IMAX. It does look clean, but personally I like it. I actually dislike the way that WW2 movies have a "film grain" added to it to make it look like an "old WW2 movie", those old films looked like that because that's the best that the technology could do back then.

• Advertisement

Is the young lad on the boat at the start the cat killer from Love/Hate?

Also I really didn't like the trailer very sterile and clean for a WW2 film.

Yep, that is Wayne the Cat Killer himself. Or Barry Keoghan as he goes by when he's not hanging around the towers.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,247 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Oh wow, IFI screening in 70mm from release day. Result!

Any reviews in yet?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Any reviews in yet?

No, a bit early for that. I doubt there's even been any press screenings yet. Premiere is the 19th I think? Any reviews will be embargoed until the start of that week at the earliest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,604 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

I've never actually been to the IFI, someone told me once that the leg room was a little tight and I'm tall with crappy knees so I've been put off. But I never actually checked that one piece of feedback. So IFI, worth the pain for this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Early reviews on twitter are very positive. Embargo lifts on friday for the proper press reviews

errlloyd wrote: »
    I've never actually been to the IFI, someone told me once that the leg room was a little tight and I'm tall with crappy knees so I've been put off. But I never actually checked that one piece of feedback. So IFI, worth the pain for this?

It's not as bad as Screen 2, but leg room in Screen 1 isn't great either. However, if I sit straight it's not too bad (I'm 6 ft). I generally avoid long films there, but Dunkirk is pretty short so should be okay.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

If the run time is to be believed, 1hr 50m, it must be Nolans shortest film to date.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭DaniilKharms

GavRedKing wrote: »
    If the run time is to be believed, 1hr 50m, it must be Nolans shortest film to date.

Maybe that doesn't include the intermission and the second half?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭charlie_says

It's showing on Sunday in Galway Film festival, in 35mm but in the Town Hall Theater which is NOT a proper cinema. It's better than it was in the past though.

Sold out though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭Cina

ricero wrote: »
    Early reviews on twitter are very positive. Embargo lifts on friday for the proper press reviews

Meh, Nolan fanboys will always fawn over his work, I wouldn't trust them.

I can't really take a PG-13/12A war movie seriously though, how is it supposed to in any way capture the horrors? Feels like a total cop-out by Nolan.

Cina wrote: »

I can't really take a PG-13/12A war movie seriously though, how is it supposed to in any way capture the horrors? Feels like a total cop-out by Nolan.

I had this same issue but Nolan says it's not a war movie and it doesn't focus on bloody combat. It's more of suspense/survival movie.

I had this same issue but Nolan says it's not a war movie and it doesn't focus on bloody combat. It's more of suspense/survival movie.

Yep, and Nolan doesn't really do violence anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

Read up about what happened at Dunkirk and you will see that very little combat actually takes place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭flangemeistro

The whole Nolan-Murphy-Hardy love in is getting a bit off putting for me.

Almost as bad as Burton-Depp-Bonham Carter thing.

Oh and Harry Styles FFS. Really cynical cashing in casting.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,604 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Cillian Murphy been in 4 Christopher Nolan films. Quite extensively in 1 of them (Batman begins) and hardly at all in the other three.

Tom Hardy is only in two Christopher Nolan films, and his part barely overlapped with Murphy's at all.

So in summary. Wut?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

Come on Murphy and Hardy haven't been the leads in his film. Both are fantastic actors as well, why complain. Plus the reviews have said Styles is very good, Nolan doesn't do cynical cash in.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,068 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Nolan says he didn't realise Styles was already famous when he was cast:

http://www.avclub.com/article/christopher-nolan-didnt-realize-harry-styles-was-f-257848

Honestly, given it's supposedly a very minor role in what appears to be an ensemble film, it feels a bit silly to blow it all out of proportion; but it is the internet after all :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Ben Gadot

Looper007 wrote: »
    Come on Murphy and Hardy haven't been the leads in his film. Both are fantastic actors as well, why complain. Plus the reviews have said Styles is very good, Nolan doesn't do cynical cash in.

I'd say it's a combination of both. Nolan would never do a Coppola and miscast Keanu Reeves in a role ill suited to him, but it was still undoubtedly clever casting. Nolan probably saw the best of both worlds in Styles: will appeal big time to a demograph but also has the talent to carry the role.

The funny thing is that Styles hasn't even been focused on that much in official releases. Most consisted of unofficial set photos, and I believe he only got his first line in the latest trailer released.

People will complain either way about Nolan anyway.

Meh the Nolan haters are out early even though none of them have seen the movie yet!

Who is Harry Styles ?
    I'm glad I don't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,856 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

gore in ww2 movies has been done to death, how many heads do you need to see decapitated by a shell?, it wouldn't be an issue that its PG13, also the essence of the Dunkirk debacle was the confusion and the troops trying to duck and dive to get to the coast in one piece.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Who is Harry Styles ?
    I'm glad I don't know.

How are you glad you don't know who someone is if you don't know who they are to know that you would be glad you didn't know who they are?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Catcher7791

CatInABox wrote: »
    I liked it. I think it's going to look amazing in IMAX. It does look clean, but personally I like it. I actually dislike the way that WW2 movies have a "film grain" added to it to make it look like an "old WW2 movie", those old films looked like that because that's the best that the technology could do back then.

It probably will, but there isn't a real IMAX screen in Ireland. The one in Cineworld is Digital Imax, which is a very different and inferior thing. The best way to see it here will be 70mm in the IFI.

Advertisement