Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dunkirk (Christopher Nolan, 2017)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

It looks pretty finished to be fair - they've even completed the "La Sandwicherie" sign

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

lol. Some very oldschool effects.

I'm not his biggest fan but one thing I really do admire about Nolan as director of his stature is his willingness to go practical and old-school for a lot of things on his movies.

Anyways, things like dummy tanks were used a fair bit in both wars for illusions in the distance so maybe Nolan is going along this principle too
    Inflatable-tank-051616.jpg

Oh yeah, sure that was a whole entire army made up of cardboard cutouts and inflatable tanks.

Ghost Army
    The Ghost Army was a United States Army tactical deception unit during World War II officially known as the 23rd Headquarters Special Troops.[1] The 1,100-man unit was given a unique mission within the U.S Army: to impersonate other U.S. Army units to deceive the enemy. From a few weeks after D-Day, when they landed in France, until the end of the war, they put on a "traveling road show" utilizing inflatable tanks, sound trucks, fake radio transmissions and pretence. They staged more than 20 battlefield deceptions, often operating very close to the front lines. Their story was kept secret for more than 40 years after the war, and elements of it remain classified.[2] The unit was the subject of a PBS documentary The Ghost Army in 2013.[3]

• Registered Users Posts: 85,639 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Teaser trailer is supposedly out with Suicide Squad

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,377 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

As teaser trailers go, that looks promising.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

Christopher Nolan is more hit then miss with me (hit: Memento, The Prestige, inception, 2 of the batman movies, miss: Intersteller, dark knight rises) and I think with his very meticulous filmmaking a war film would work very well.

especially one based around something like Dunkirk

but just the sounds of the stuka's jericho horn in that teaser is enough to get the little war buff inside me going...

Look forward to seeing some old school german planes and british ships.

That looks pretty good.

I love the one person looking up, wondering, then slowly more and more until realization hits.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,088 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

I wonder will it be a straight war film, or will there be any twist? I heard some rumour of some kind of time travel element?

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,190 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I wonder will it be a straight war film, or will there be any twist? I heard some rumour of some kind of time travel element?

I think that's just the people who though that the end of The Dark Knight Rises was a dream sequence getting confused again.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,966 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

The history nerd in me is certainly excited, and it's nice to see a cinematic treatment of WW2 that doesn't focus solely on US/Soviet involvement. I'm sure Nolan will put his hundreds of extas to good use.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

For fighting scenes I hope he maintains solid editing, he's normally all over the shop with cuts but he at least toned it down a small bit for Interstellar.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Duggy747 wrote: »
    For fighting scenes I hope he maintains solid editing, he's normally all over the shop with cuts but he at least toned it down a small bit for Interstellar.

His editing has been getting noticeably slower and more coherent since TDKR, partly due his increasing use of IMAX which requires longer and wider shots. Inception was the last time I really took issue with his editing.

pixelburp wrote: »
    The history nerd in me is certainly excited, and it's nice to see a cinematic treatment of WW2 that doesn't focus solely on US/Soviet involvement. I'm sure Nolan will put his hundreds of extas to good use.

And Harry Styles. :pac:

As long as one of the characters doesn't turn into a time traveling space ghost then I'm all for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

The teaser trailer is on YouTube.
    I watched it multiple times, looking at a different soldier each time.

Gwynplaine wrote: »
    The teaser trailer is on YouTube.
    I watched it multiple times, looking at a different soldier each time.

Which one do you reckon is the time travelling space ghost?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

Which one do you reckon is the time travelling space ghost?

It's the lad dreaming about driving a big black car.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

Seven minute long prologue to be shown before Rogue One on IMAX Screens.

New poster:

403772.jpg

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/world-war-2-action-movie-from-dark-knight-director/1100-6446193/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

Eh lads Harry styles from one direction is making his acting debut in this??

Am I missing something here, wtf?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Hold on???!?

Christopher Nolan

LIKE THE Christopher Nolan!

Is taking a popular young chap and putting him into one of his acting roles?!?!

:eek::eek::eek::eek:

Goh! What a Joker!

:D

Here's my card, I'll be here all week :D
    403777.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Falthyron wrote: »
    Seven minute long prologue to be shown before Rogue One on IMAX Screens.

Before someone asks, "real" IMAX screens only, so not Cineworld.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

Before someone asks, "real" IMAX screens only, so not Cineworld.

Well feck it anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭Jan_de_Bakker

Yeah , I mean is he even a decent actor ??

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,966 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Without googling too vigorously, I can't imagine Styles' role will be anything more than a small one-scene cameo. And for old fogeys like myself who couldn't pick him out of a line-up anyway it won't make a tap of difference whether British Soldier #34 is a famous pop-star or not :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

Yeah , I mean is he even a decent actor ??

Probably a concession Nolan had to make in order to get something else.
    Doubtful he'll be getting to do much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭Jan_de_Bakker

I hope not ... what next- Jedward to star in the next Star Wars?

I hope not ... what next- Jedward to star in the next Star Wars?

I have this image of two stormtroopers leaping about and doing cartwheels and then being promptly blasted by Chewie's crossbow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

Falthyron wrote: »
    Ever considerate of the general public's desires, Christopher Nolan has offered to create a moment of sheer joy and delight for the world in his new film, Dunkirk; he is going to kill Harry Styles.

http://variety.com/2016/film/news/harry-styles-one-direction-christopher-nolan-dunkirk-1201728153/

Seriously though, this is a very smart move by Nolan. I reckon he is pandering to studio executives by putting someone in the film that will bring in hundreds of thousands of women (propping up the coffers) so that he can do whatever he wants with the movie (in terms of direction, story, format, and style).

I said this quite some time ago, and I think it is still the case.

• Advertisement

Maybe Harry Styles will be the time travelling space ghost... he survives the attack and travels forward through time to join One Direction.

Advertisement