Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dunkirk (Christopher Nolan, 2017)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,734 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

We'll be grand so long as Bon Jovi stays at home for this one :D

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭ziedth

It would be a genuine insult if an American pops up in this film, but Nolan would be perfectly aware of that so I doubt he'd pander.

You only have to look at U-571 to see how far they can push the historical liberties. I think Jon Bon-Jovi is a far cry from the Actual sailors who captured the Inigma machine.

Anyway, Dunkirk like as mentioned above is a very underused story from WWII. Probably because the lead up to it was such a disaster. Nolan on board too gets me very excited.

British sailors too, also the actual U571 was another story worthy of a film, it was captured by the british and used to surface near german ships where it would surprise attack them

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭JohnFalstaff

British sailors too, also the actual U571 was another story worthy of a film, it was captured by the british and used to surface near german ships where it would surprise attack them

The actual U571 was never captured, it was sunk in 1944 off the coast of Ireland. Prior to this the only surprise attacks she undertook were against Allied freighters.

i'll have to find the article i was reading on it earlier, but yeah looks like you're right

lol i honestly cant find the article i was reading - maybe it was bs - but it would still have made a better story than U571

I did see some nifty pictures of 42 surrendered uboats moored right here in Ireland though :)

And yeah, now i've found it again, and i derped it it was U-570 - not 571 - they renamed it the HMS Graph

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,087 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

Should be interesting. I don't see why people are worried about Christopher Nolan, and Englishman, focusing on Americans in this case. So far Tom Hardy has been cast but only in a supporting role - he's apparently looking for unknowns to play the leads.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

I hope he leaves "Love" at the door, killed Interstellar for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

How the hell is he going to put time travel or dreams within dreams into this one then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

I wonder if Michael Caine will have a big role!

Gintonious wrote: »
    How the hell is he going to put time travel or dreams within dreams into this one then?

He'll find a way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Ipso wrote: »
    I wonder if Michael Caine will have a big role!

Probably will though it'll be hard to hear him with Zimmer's score drowning his dialogue out. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭cowboyBuilder

hmmm not sure I like this theme with Nolan as director !!

Well , we'll see, hopefully I won't expect the greatest film of all time when I do see it .. I expected too much with Interstellar so it took me a 2nd viewing to really love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

Ever considerate of the general public's desires, Christopher Nolan has offered to create a moment of sheer joy and delight for the world in his new film, Dunkirk; he is going to kill Harry Styles.

http://variety.com/2016/film/news/harry-styles-one-direction-christopher-nolan-dunkirk-1201728153/

Seriously though, this is a very smart move by Nolan. I reckon he is pandering to studio executives by putting someone in the film that will bring in hundreds of thousands of women (propping up the coffers) so that he can do whatever he wants with the movie (in terms of direction, story, format, and style).

First poster

26891534812_82f36bd974_b.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

"Hello, is the start of the Dunkirk hype bandwagon? I'd like to get on please"

"Hello, is the start of the Dunkirk hype bandwagon? I'd like to get on please"

All aboard....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Has that poster confirmed, cos tbh it looks like something a fan might rattle up with some public domain ww2 photos; a new Nolan film would be more likely to have his name much larger, and with something a little more enigmatic than a generic war photo, but that's just me

pixelburp wrote: »
    Has that poster confirmed, cos tbh it looks like something a fan might rattle up with some public domain ww2 photos; a new Nolan film would be more likely to have his name much larger, and with something a little more enigmatic than a generic war photo, but that's just me

Good point actually, I got it from imdB but of course that is user editable ...

• Registered Users Posts: 17 jimmy_b

Im looking forward to this movie, big fan of christopher nolan movies, good cast gonna be in it by the sounds of it too

It will be interesting how it pans out, most of his movies are surreal ... lets see how he deals with a historical drama ..

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,307 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Principal photography is underway and they've announced a couple of Irish actors as part of the cast: Cillian Murphy, Kenneth Branagh & Barry Keoghan.

Murphy is no stranger to Nolan's films, but Branagh is an interesting choice - he can be great in the right sort of role. Not sure if Barry Keoghan has a major part or if he is one of the many soldiers who'll no doubt feature at some point, but a good break for him all the same.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Good for Keoghan. Hopefully this will save him from the Irish film industry where he's typecast as a skanger. A really good actor, he deserves better.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

That thing about "love transcending space and time" actually influencing the plot really deminished the movie for me. It felt so un-Nolan ._.
    So I take you haven't seen Momento then?

Good for Keoghan. Hopefully this will save him from the Irish film industry where he's typecast as a skanger. A really good actor, he deserves better.

Absolutely, he was great in Mammal which I saw recently, a real talent.

So those are fanmade posters then?

Either way, this could be an excellent movie.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

lol. Some very oldschool effects.

3488BAFC00000578-3604876-image-a-115_1464016620365.jpg

3487C21300000578-3604876-image-a-91_1464012130612.jpg

Maybe they aren't effects though. Maybe the story is about a soldier who, crossing over into a parallel universe, discovers nothing is real and "history" is just a series of cardboard cut outs and made up stories.

That'd be the Christopher Nolan we all know.

• Advertisement

TBH it could look incredible in the finished product.

Advertisement