Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC 194: McGregor vs Aldo ***READ POST #1 BEFORE POSTING***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,444 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Aldo via Submission
    The main reason I don't want an auto-rematch is because we have gone through the fight build up for this TWICE! Could do without a third build up straight away. Lot of the fizz will be gone from it imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

When the ufc wants you as champion you get a rematch regardless of how the fight goes (Ronda, Cain). Realistically i am also sick of the whole thing at this point, and sick of some of the rematches being given. Let them fight someone else and build it back up that way. Plenty of interesting fights to make. Conor vs Edgar or Cerrone if he wins id imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

Aldo via Submission
    This post has been deleted.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

Davei141 wrote: »
    When the ufc wants you as champion you get a rematch regardless of how the fight goes (Ronda, Cain). Realistically i am also sick of the whole thing at this point, and sick of some of the rematches being given. Let them fight someone else and build it back up that way. Plenty of interesting fights to make. Conor vs Edgar or Cerrone if he wins id imagine.

Cain was not given a rematch straight away.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,759 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

I watched ufc194 in a bad in New York. Not a sound out of the crowd when weidman ( a newyork native) fought. The place went wild as soon as the mcgregor buildup started

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,118 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

Gamebred wrote: »
    What you should do is try decipher the difference between a media personality ie fight promotion to a non promotional normal persona that Conor has.

and until it is clear in my mind, i shouldn't watch him fight, is that it? :rolleyes:

and until it is clear in my mind, i shouldn't watch him fight, is that it? :rolleyes:

I'd understand if someone not interested in mma had the opinion of him and were ignorant of the promotional aspect of fighting but a self confessed fight fan to recognise the difference in fight promo and his normal self,which is always humble in victory.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

McGregor via Decision
    Nice breakdown! My girlfriend did Taekwondo for years and showed me how to throw a punch with technique (of all people :D). The power you gain with technique is crazy and eye opening.

Knowing this stuff makes watching UFC as a layman much more compelling!
    Great breakdown. While ive watched ufc for many years i wouldnt know much of the subtle technical aspects.

Thanks, tho to be fair I've some experience with boxing... if I was to try to break down the Maia/Gunnar fight I'd be like "One of them is a wizard and the other one has 10 limbs". Cool fight to watch except I wanted Gunnar to win :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Aldo via Submission
    DeVore wrote: »
    Thanks, tho to be fair I've some experience with boxing... if I was to try to break down the Maia/Gunnar fight I'd be like "One of them is a wizard and the other one has 10 limbs". Cool fight to watch except I wanted Gunnar to win :(

Start taking bjj classes, you're very analytical, I think you'd enjoy it. It's like human chess.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

McGregor via Decision
    If they did a rematch, Aldo needs to take some time off after getting KO'd like that. There's no way it's good for him to fight again in March/April.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭jjdonegal

Fromvert wrote: »
    If they did a rematch, Aldo needs to take some time off after getting KO'd like that. There's no way it's good for him to fight again in March/April.

True. Wud love to see him fight Holloway! Let the winner have the champion then or fight whoever for it if McGregor vacates.
    Can anyone see Barao getting in the mix at 145?

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

McGregor via Decision
    Start taking bjj classes, you're very analytical, I think you'd enjoy it. It's like human chess.
    I've thought about it tbh, because Muay Thai grappling is kinda like stand-up-bjj (if not as complex) and its fun to do (but hellishly tiring!).. I live well over the northside though and I will have to look for a gym that teaches BJJ locally.
    I'm also 45 and feel 60 these days :)

I've thought about it tbh, because Muay Thai grappling is kinda like stand-up-bjj (if not as complex) and its fun to do (but hellishly tiring!).. I live well over the northside though and I will have to look for a gym that teaches BJJ locally.

Team Ryano or Sbg Charlestown 2 good options for you.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 4,317 Mod ✭✭✭✭TherapyBoy

I think there's a place in Baldoyle if you're out that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭shrewdness

McGregor via Decision
    jon1981 wrote: »

I wouldn't say there's no truth in the rumours of a bit of friction between McGregor and Dana/The Fertittas, but I think that incident is being overplayed a bit. Frank looks pretty happy here(bottom left).

CWPgMzxWoAAflRo.jpg:large

shrewdness wrote: »
    I wouldn't say there's no truth in the rumours of a bit of friction between McGregor and Dana/The Fertittas, but I think that incident is being overplayed a bit. Frank looks pretty happy here(bottom left).

LOL at khabib top right hand corner

• Registered Users Posts: 3,118 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

Gamebred wrote: »
    I'd understand if someone not interested in mma had the opinion of him and were ignorant of the promotional aspect of fighting but a self confessed fight fan to recognise the difference in fight promo and his normal self,which is always humble in victory.

Let's put it this way. I understand fight promo ,and don't mind it one bit, and i see what is promo and what is not.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭xtal191

McGregor via Decision
    Love the face on Khabib in the photo, hope that fight happens one day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭shrewdness

McGregor via Decision
    Thought Khabib looked a bit pissed off in that photo, but maybe that's just how he normally looks! He was complimentary about Conor on the MMA Hour yesterday and said he would deserve an immediate LW title shot. He actually predicted all 5 of the main card winners of 194 on twitter before it, would've been a nice accumulator!

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭kettlehead

McGregor via Decision
    callaway92 wrote: »
    The main reason I don't want an auto-rematch is because we have gone through the fight build up for this TWICE! Could do without a third build up straight away. Lot of the fizz will be gone from it imo.

I'd like to see Aldo fight Holloway. He wins that and then possibly gets a rematch.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭ComfortKid

kettlehead wrote:
    I'd like to see Aldo fight Holloway. He wins that and then possibly gets a rematch.

That's what I think. Winner of Aldo v Max fights winner of Conor v Edgar.. Edgar's next fight has to be a title shot no matter what

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I'd listen to Cerrone all day...
    "what do you think of Conor's movement coach?"
    "conor can train with a f**in ballerina for all i care" :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Aldo via Submission

Plenty on the northside from Northside BJJ, Jorge Santos ATOS, SBG Charlestown, Ryano and a few others. What general area are you in and we can throw a suggestion at you. BJJ us far less hard wearing than Muay Thai, if you're able to clinch and throw those kicks and not fall apart you're not going to hurt yourself rolling around in a gi drilling mount bottom escapes and triangle chokes with other white belts. Only injuries I've had are stubbed toes and hyper-extended fingers and those are 100% my own fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

McGregor via Decision
    I really think Cerrone would have nothing for McGregor on the feet, he'd get eaten up. I'm hoping he can someone how beat RDA at the weekend to set it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭markc2951

Edgar is looking for a payroll before he retires..he's 34 and to be honest conor mcgregor would smash him into the ground..

They all have a plan in a fight but edgar will be concerned after seeing aldo brutally knocked out after a few seconds

• Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

Aldo via KO/TKO
    DeVore primal (sbg Charlestown) and Ryano are two great welcoming clubs if your looking for somewhere this side of the water!

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭kettlehead

McGregor via Decision
    I'd listen to Cerrone all day...
    "what do you think of Conor's movement coach?"
    "conor can train with a f**in ballerina for all i care" :)

The back and forth trash talk between the two would be amazing.

this one guy from the croke park residents ...
    “I don’t think it would be something that we would be very keen to see coming to Croke Park. Personally speaking, I think the fights are very brutal and violent. I’d be surprised if the GAA would endorse that sport."

http://www.sportsjoe.ie/mma/conor-mcgregors-dream-of-bringing-ufc-to-croke-park-facing-predictable-opposition/55289

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

Aldo via Decision
    shrewdness wrote: »

I wonder was Conor shrugging his shoulders to him that it was over so quick?

• Advertisement

check out joe rogen after the fight, he walks over the the ref and his face is priceless....

Advertisement