Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Breastfeeding Mom in restaurant stare off...

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭Azalea

Surely being naked is even more natural than breastfeeding (100% of people are born naked) . Would she be happy with a load of hairy todgers waving around as the lads walk past her in the restaurant :D

#freewilly . End the oppression!!!!!!!eleven!!!!!!!
    They wouldn't be feeding a baby though. :)

I'd be discreet myself however. I'm a woman and when my friend's sister gets her boob out in a room of people to breastfeed, it's uncomfortable tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭TheQuietFella

Like exposing the other one and tweaking the nipple between thumb and forefinger? That would have been more indiscreet.

Typo' error my friend! Corrected now!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

If someone brazenly eats a sandwich in a cafe are they seeking attention? Maybe. Maybe not. Either way nobody gives a ****e.

If its still possible to seek attention by breastfeeding than that's the issue and not that there are attention-seekers in the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Seamus' point was that being offended isn't a good reason to force someone to change their behavior, so by that same reductionist standard, someone who wants to flash their penis in public shouldn't be expected to cover up because people find their behavior offensive.
    Seamus's point was in the context of a discussion about breastfeeding, which is blatantly obvious.

No reason for you to make ridiculous comparisons with flashing and suggest it is the logical consequence of his argument when it clearly is not.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Canterelle

Only thing that annoys me is that the picture does look staged, apart from that what on earth could you be offended by? So what if she's not wearing the "proper" bra or covering herself with a shawl, she's just feeding her baby. No big deal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,113 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

In fairness now... they really were milkin that situation a bit. ;)

Just expressing herself.

Well. You can't turn down a good staring contest.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Azalea wrote: »
    They wouldn't be feeding a baby though. :)
    Theres more to nature than feeding (breast or otherwise) :)

I may just do a very natural thing and bend my girlfriend over a table in McDonalds tomorrow afternoon for a good old fashioned rodgering (purely for reproductive reasons, as nature intended) :)

Well. You can't turn down a good staring contest.

I believe she lost the thumb war that followed.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

I believe she lost the thumb war that followed.

It's a bollox if the other person has longer thumbs.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,113 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

I may just do a very natural thing and bend my girlfriend over a table in McDonalds tomorrow afternoon for a good old fashioned rodgering (purely for reproductive reasons, as nature intended) :)

McDaddy

Woman stares at another woman breastfeeding. Woman stares back.

Why is this a news story? Remember when "going viral" actually used to mean something online?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

osarusan wrote: »
    Seamus's point was in the context of a discussion about breastfeeding, which is blatantly obvious.

No reason for you to make ridiculous comparisons with flashing and suggest it is the logical consequence of his argument when it clearly is not.

My point was referring to the attitude that "if other people are offended by my behavior, fcuk 'em", and what I'm saying is that it's not a good attitude to have no consideration for other people because then you have to put up with other people who want to apply that same attitude to excuse their own behavior.

I don't have any hang-ups at all with women breast feeding in public, it's if they have no consideration for other people, that attitude I'd have a problem with. If the woman in the photo wants to breastfeed in public, have at it, but to make a song and dance about it because she gets a few stares?

That just indicates to me she wanted people to stare, and uploading pics of herself (not the person who was staring at her), to social media, just indicates she wasn't getting enough attention already. She's not so stupid that she doesn't know breastfeeding in public is unusual, and while I've seen many women breastfeeding in public, I've yet to see any woman lob the whole tit out so the kid can have a feed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

Except having sex isn't a necessity and isn't something that can't wait til you get home.

Why shouldn't a mum feed her baby when the baby is hungry and needs food?

To compare it to fcuking your girlfriend is ridiculous. Feeding a baby is a necessity, and it can happen while out and about. ****ing your girlfriend is not a necessity and adults have the self control to wait to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,393 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Sonics2k wrote: »
    People really need to chill out about breast feeding, it's really not some big deal.

It is if you're a hungry baby.

Except having sex isn't a necessity and isn't something that can't wait til you get home.

You've obviously never been super horny and very drunk.

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭Azalea

But again, a screaming hungry baby isn't demanding their needs be accommodated in a public place where people will be disturbed by their screaming!

The "it's natural" is a silly argument I agree, because, as you say, so are lots of things. But it's necessary in public sometimes - those other natural things aren't necessary in public.

You've obviously never been super horny and very drunk.

:pac:

I have been, many times! But what with being an adult, I have some self control. Babies don't.

Why shouldn't a mum feed her baby when the baby is hungry and needs food?

To compare it to fcuking your girlfriend is ridiculous. Feeding a baby is a necessity, and it can happen while out and about. ****ing your girlfriend is not a necessity and adults have the self control to wait to do it.

If we're going to start on necessity then its not necessary to breastfeed your child in public either. You can bottle feed, either with breastmilk or formula.

Pretty much everything is a choice nowadays. We've evolved from huddling together in caves.

Choose to breastfeed by all means, but dont be surprised by other peoples reactions. People are odd, you're bound to encounter a couple of proper odd ones just leaving your house each day or better still, work in retail, they all come to you :-)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Fleawuss

Why is this a news story? Remember when "going viral" actually used to mean something online?

It meant and means that it got a lot of views and reposts.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

seamus wrote: »
    She's really just making the point that some idiot was trying to shame her in public and she was having none of it, because being offended by something is not a good reason to force someone else to change their behaviour.

Should she have been more discreet? No. It's a woman feeding her child? What's the problem?

If a woman wants to be discreet about it, then she should be discreet about it. If a woman is happy enough to just whip her whole top off and breastfeed, then she should do that.

Anyone who has a problem with either should just go fnck themselves.

She probably wasn't even been stared at. Also she hated being stared at so much she put her picture on people.com.

She also inferred motive from the alleged staring person. There's really nothing to be determined from societal attitudes from this piece.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Fleawuss

It looks as if she was looking for the challenge. Bit like the "open carry" people on you tube. Does she expect people to be in awe of the fact that she's a mum? Has a child? Is breastfeeding? Why would anyone give a ****?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Azalea wrote: »
    But again, a screaming hungry baby isn't demanding their needs be accommodated in a public place where people will be disturbed by their screaming!

The "it's natural" is a silly argument I agree, because, as you say, so are lots of things. But it's necessary in public sometimes - those other natural things aren't necessary in public.

Of course it's necessary to feed a baby in public, but what's not necessary is to lob the whole tit out to do it. Simple preparations for these sorts of eventualities minimises any possible offence, unless of course a person feels a need to have their lifestyle choices validated by how much offense they can cause to other people around them.

Clearly in this case, in a restaurant full of people, one woman staring just wasn't enough, this woman doesn't do things by halves.

If we're going to start on necessity then its not necessary to breastfeed your child in public either. You can bottle feed, either with breastmilk or formula.

Pretty much everything is a choice nowadays. We've evolved from huddling together in caves.

Choose to breastfeed by all means, but dont be surprised by other peoples reactions. People are odd, you're bound to encounter a couple of proper odd ones just leaving your house each day or better still, work in retail, they all come to you :-)

It's not exactly easy to gauge when your baby will start screaming for a feed though, and it's legal to breastfeed, so why not? Breast milk is also better for the baby, and it's what breasts are intended for.

Fcuking your missus in public is illegal. Breastfeeding isn't, because breasts aren't just sexual organs, their primary use is to feed.

steddyeddy wrote: »
    She probably wasn't even been stared at..

It was probably one of those situations like where you see someone waving at you, wave back then realise they were waving at someone behind you . The person was probably daydreaming.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭jimdublin15

...so some woman in a restaurant in the States was breast feeding her child in a restaurant, claims she saw someone staring at her, and began to stare back defiantly. And if course handily it was snapped and did the rounds on the inane sites like Her.ie where she was heralded as some champion of women's or mother's lib...

http://www.people.com/article/mom-breastfeeding-uncovered-photo-viral

Was she striking a blow for mothers? Or should she be a little more discreet? Or does the whole thing seem a little staged to gain an internet presence?

I mean at the end of the day she got a look from someone across the cafe out of a whole cafe 1 person looks at her and she goes into drama mode. Seriously, someone disproved so what, no reason to melt down.

My two kids got breastfed, to be honest we never had any problems and fed them in public, then again my than wife was feeding a baby and we were not out to make a point about it, so I'm really not sure what the fuzz is about. I have to be honest my gut instinct is it's just a few mum's looking for or seeking additional attention - Look at me types, the world is against me, eek someone disagreed with me, end of the world drama bunch.

I happened to read the story you linked earlier this week on FB as It was posted to the Free to feed FB page and I was reading up following a story about the Primark case they were involved with.

This breastfeeding group and it's members have been been shot down before, they were quick to allow mum's and the public on FB & Twitter to to call on Primark to fire a security guy, and pressured Primark, as they made allegations that the security guy was supposedly stopping them from feeding. However the same group where slow to apologize to Primark, and in the end did not apologize at all to the guy Mr. Mahomad XYZ (Ill leave his last name out) when it turned out the story was utterly fabricated and the group tried to distance themselves from the story and mum in question.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/crime/12030648/Primark-breastfeeding-ban-liar-Caroline-Starmer-avoids-prison.html

It's not exactly easy to gauge when your baby will start screaming for a feed though, and it's legal to breastfeed, so why not? Breast milk is also better for the baby, and it's what breasts are intended for.

Fcuking your missus in public is illegal. Breastfeeding isn't, because breasts aren't just sexual organs, their primary use is to feed.

Yes but its perfectly natural , so shouldnt be. If nature wanted genitals to be covered, we should have been born with clothes on.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Meh. It looks staged to be honest. And actually pulling your boob over the neckline of your top instead of pulling up the waistline is more uncomfortable but probably more obvious that way. Doing it the way that most other women do, wouldn't get her nearly enough of the attention that she seems to be craving.

I breastfed for a year, didn't hide away but didn't exactly whip them out either. I've never had a thing said to me or got looks from anyone. I'd be fully supportive (heh) of women not being embarrassed or ashamed to feed in public but this wan looks as though she was doing it because she was spoiling for a fight or wanted lots of support on her FB and to be told what an amazing mother she is for breastfeeding. I'd roll my eyes if I saw that in a cafe, not because she got her tit out, but because she is acting like a tit.

• Advertisement

Yes but its perfectly natural , so shouldnt be. If nature wanted genitals to be covered, we should have been born with clothes on.

It's perfectly natural to be unable to control your sexual urges and to instead fcuk someone in a restaurant? Nope.. whereas it IS natural for a baby to not have the self control to deal with hunger til it gets home.

The woman is clearly attention seeking, but to liken a baby needing to be fed to your voyeuristic/exhibitionist sexual proclivities is just ridiculous.

Advertisement