Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Breastfeeding Mom in restaurant stare off...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

That's not doing women who breastfeed any favours, because most women who breastfeed don't expose their whole breast when feeding.

A woman should be able to take off her top to breastfeed if she needs to. This whole "cover yourself as much as possible" is not doing anything to remove the issues surrounding breast feeding.

I'm actually not aware of any contradiction there tbh. By all means a woman can expose her breasts for whatever reason she wants.

Except on the other hand you're saying she should cover up as much as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭La Fenetre

lazygal wrote: »
    Lolz. Yes getting my tits out at a funeral for attention was much more important than feeding my child so he didn't scream the place down.

For maximum effect, you should have got the father to whip his lad out and piss in a bottle, at the same time, I mean nature calls after all ! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Recommended by who exactly?

People who've never breastfed a baby or toddler.

La Fenetre wrote: »
    You should have got the father to whip his lad out and piss in a bottle, at the same time, I mean nature calls after all ! :D

Yes. Feeding a baby and an adult urinating are the same thing.

• Advertisement

Yes. Feeding a baby and an adult urinating are the same thing.

What wrong with answering the call of nature there and then ?

What wrong with answering the call of nature there and then ?

Lolz. You've some odd ideas if you think me breastfeeding and my husband needing to urinate are the same thing.
    Is breastfeeding frowned upon by prolifers?

Lolz. You've some odd ideas if you think me breastfeeding and my husband needing to urinate are the same thing.
    Is breastfeeding frowned upon by prolifers?

No it isn't, I think it was a great move. Why doesn't your husband whip out the lad and answer the call of nature there and then as well, what's wrong with that ? Are pro abortionists a bit squeamish ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭BettePorter

It's all about perspective and time and place really. For instance .... if u go on holiday with ur husband and his mates you'd have no problem lying on a lounger in ur two piece with ur hubs best mate standing next to u in his shorts. Yet if you came down the stairs in ur bra and knickers and he was standing in the hall ud lose your life and never live it down!

Basically there's a time and place for everything .... I don't care if the woman next to me takes out her breast to feed her hungry child. Likewise I don't care that the guy at the opposite table is eating his meal like a cement mixer on full power..... bit id prefer he ate it with his mouth closed to be honest. IMO the videoed woman in question was right to feed..... but cancelled it out by being one of 'those' ppl who insist on being outraged for a cause that exists only in their head.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 754 ✭✭✭mynameis905

No it isn't, I think it was a great move. Why doesn't your husband whip out the lad and answer the call of nature there and then as well, what's wrong with that ? Are pro abortionists a bit squeamish ?

Because her husband is a grown man capable of feeding himself and using the bathroom unaided. An infant cannot be expected to conform to the same standards as an adult. If a child is hungry they need to be fed, if they need to go to the bathroom they'll use a nappy until they're fully toilet trained. What part of this are you having problems grasping?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭Azalea

Why doesn't your husband whip out the lad and answer the call of nature there and then as well, what's wrong with that ?
    It's not feeding a hungry baby. He can go to the toilet - it would be an awful mess for staff to clean up too if he just urinated in a restaurant or whatever, at the table.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

One eyed jack sometimes women and children need to feed in different ways. Others sensitive reactions to me feeding my children in the most suitable manner possible weren't and aren't going to affect how I breastfeed. Breastfeeding is how babies and children should be fed. Regardless of how other people think it's whipping out a breast.

Exactly lazygal, as it should be, and I truly wish more women had your attitude. But the woman in the OP doesn't have your attitude, she's more concerned with someone staring at her while she's breastfeeding, and then still not feeling the validation, she decides to upload a pic of herself breastfeeding to social media amongst claims that one woman tried to 'shame' her.

My wife wasn't able to breastfeed when she had our child, in spite of repeated attempts by the nurse to try and get her to breastfeed. My wife didn't go on social media and claim that women breastfeeding are trying to 'shame' those who can't (there were plenty of women made her feel like crap about it though), because that would have been silly.

The same case applies to this woman - so someone stared at her while she was breastfeeding, one woman. Did she miss the many other people in the restaurant that weren't staring?

What does that tell us about whether breastfeeding in public is socially acceptable or not when many more people simply don't care, than the minority that do? By making a big deal of it on social media, that's only fostering the perception that they're trying to eradicate - namely that there's no big deal about it. Clearly for them, there is!

Azalea wrote: »
    It's not feeding a hungry baby. He can go to the toilet - it would be an awful mess for staff to clean up too if he just urinated in a restaurant or whatever, at the table.

Why he could easily just wizz in a bottle, he's only answering natures call after all, why shouldn't he do it there and then ? Taking a piss, is the most natural thing in the world.

What does that tell us about whether breastfeeding in public is socially acceptable or not when many more people simply don't care, than the minority that do? By making a big deal of it on social media, that's only fostering the perception that they're trying to eradicate - namely that there's no big deal about it. Clearly for them, there is!

But going by this thread alone, people clearly do care! How many people, yourself included, is of the opinion that women should be as covered up as possible when breastfeeding?

Why he could easily just wizz in a bottle, he's only answering natures call after all, why shouldn't he do it there and then ? Taking a piss, is the most natural thing in the world.

You're being deliberately obtuse here. Unless of course you can't see the difference between a hungry baby and an adult who needs to urinate.

sup_dude wrote: »
    Except on the other hand you're saying she should cover up as much as possible.

I'm not saying a woman should cover them up, I'm saying there's no need to expose more than is necessary, and it's not necessary IMO to expose the whole breast while breastfeeding.

That has nothing to do with modesty or being a prude or anything else, and arguments that suggest that women only have breasts because they need to feed babies, ignores the fact that many women have breasts and don't consider them for functional use only.

Of course breasts are sexualised in any society, because they are considered secondary sexual characteristics, they're not just a utilitarian milk delivery system and I'd hate to view a woman's breasts in such reductionist terms.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭Azalea

It is, but it's not the same as feeding a baby. :)
    Breastfeeding in public can be done without exposing the breast - I can understand people feeling uncomfortable if she exposes her entire breast but can't understand an issue with women breastfeeding with the breast covered.

Azalea wrote: »
    I can understand people feeling uncomfortable if she exposes her entire breast but can't understand an issue with women breastfeeding with the breast covered.

Not at all, the more tit out the better.
    Makes a boring funeral much more interesting. :)

I'm not saying a woman should cover them up, I'm saying there's no need to expose more than is necessary, and it's not necessary IMO to expose the whole breast while breastfeeding.

That has nothing to do with modesty or being a prude or anything else, and arguments that suggest that women only have breasts because they need to feed babies, ignores the fact that many women have breasts and don't consider them for functional use only.

Of course breasts are sexualised in any society, because they are considered secondary sexual characteristics, they're not just a utilitarian milk delivery system and I'd hate to view a woman's breasts in such reductionist terms.

Breasts, babies and feeding are different for everyone. Skin contact is really important in the early days and if the baby needs the whole breast out to feed so be it. You might have views on how you think women should breastfeed but that does not mean we all fall into those rules or guidelines. Plus you might have an awkward bra on or the top isn't easy to access and I'm damned if I'm getting a new wardrobe so someone isn't freaked out because my toddler needs to feed.

I can spot the only tit out on this thread anyway.
    Is the prolife position anti breastfeeding?

• Advertisement

But a utilitarian milk delivery system is exactly what they're being used for when breast feedimg and shouldn't be thought of as anything else under the circumstances.

I can spot the only tit out on this thread anyway.

Don't be so hard on yourself. I'm sure some people at the funeral enjoyed it.
    Is the prolife position anti breastfeeding?

Not at all, are the pro abortion lobby anti nature when nature calls ?

sup_dude wrote: »
    But going by this thread alone, people clearly do care! How many people, yourself included, is of the opinion that women should be as covered up as possible when breastfeeding?

I don't think people care so much about breastfeeding as much as they do that this woman is making a big deal of the fact that someone stared at her while she was breastfeeding because of the way she was breastfeeding.

Was it necessary for her to expose her whole breast? No, it wasn't, IMO. I've seen plenty of women breastfeeding in public who didn't feel it was necessary for the whole world to know she was breastfeeding. There's no shame in it, but it's also no reason to be expecting that everyone should see it as this great symbol of motherhood either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

It's a pity that society has identified breasts as sexual objects. There should be a problem with breastfeeding, but there is. Do we just hold our hands up and say "fcuk it" and do what feel is right? Or do we start educating people and hope that future generations are not as narrow minded as we are now?

The offended person is not completely at fault. They have been educated a certain way, what is right and what is wrong. Sure they have a choice, but a leopard can't change it's spots.

I wish you could breastfeed when you wanted, but it's not really the case. I mean, we have been covering up our bits and bobs for thousands of years. You can't just change that over night.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Any new mother has to learn to breastfeed. Its the most natural thing in the world but its actually really difficult to master. Its even harder to learn how to do it in a way that no one around you knows what you are doing. Cut mums some slack. No mother I can think of wants to give the public an eyeful of her breasts, she is trying to feed her child as easily as possible and sometimes people see more than they should. Its embarrassing enough dealing with that without someone giving you a hard time. Breasts have a primary function and that is to feed infants, leave mothers alone to do that. Of course if someone is showing everything in order to prove a point then fire away but how many women actually do this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭greenorchard

If we're going to start on necessity then its not necessary to breastfeed your child in public either. You can bottle feed, either with breastmilk or formula.

Pretty much everything is a choice nowadays. We've evolved from huddling together in caves.

Wow, so a breastfeeding mother should feed her baby artificial milk in public rather than feed her baby the way nature intended?

By the way, my baby refuses to drink expressed milk from a bottle & a lot of other breastfed babies are the same. I guess I should stay at home for the next few months for fear of offending people by doing something as unnecessary as feeding my child.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Stay classy dude

I don't think people care so much about breastfeeding as much as they do that this woman is making a big deal of the fact that someone stared at her while she was breastfeeding because of the way she was breastfeeding.

Was it necessary for her to expose her whole breast? No, it wasn't, IMO. I've seen plenty of women breastfeeding in public who didn't feel it was necessary for the whole world to know she was breastfeeding. There's no shame in it, but it's also no reason to be expecting that everyone should see it as this great symbol of motherhood either.

Just because you've seen x or y or think breastfeeding works a certain way doesn't mean it's like that for every mother and child.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭inocybe

eviltwin wrote: »
    Any new mother has to learn to breastfeed. Its the most natural thing in the world but its actually really difficult to master. Its even harder to learn how to do it in a way that no one around you knows what you are doing. Cut mums some slack. No mother I can think of wants to give the public an eyeful of her breasts, she is trying to feed her child as easily as possible and sometimes people see more than they should. Its embarrassing enough dealing with that without someone giving you a hard time. Breasts have a primary function and that is to feed infants, leave mothers alone to do that. Of course if someone is showing everything in order to prove a point then fire away but how many women actually do this.

My baby used to make slurpy noises when he didn't latch on properly, that was fun in public :P

• Advertisement

So... they shouldn't have to cover up... but they should cover up. You still don't see the contradiction?

Advertisement