Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Breastfeeding Mom in restaurant stare off...

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Fleawuss

this woman doesn't do things by halves.

Clearly she does.

She got only one tit out. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,572 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

but what's not necessary is to lob the whole tit out to do it.
    How do you know? In the case of this particular woman, how do you know?

A huge amount is being made about the fact that she exposed so much of her breast, but it might simply be what is most comfortable for her/her baby.

All these assumptions (from you and others) coming from just that one thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

osarusan wrote: »

A huge amount is being made about the fact that she exposed so much of her breast, but it might simply be what is most comfortable for her/her baby.

As Neyite pointed out, it's a lot more uncomfortable to yank a top down, pull your boob up and rest it on straining fabric than to just pull your top up a bit.

As Neyite pointed out, it's a lot more uncomfortable to yank a top down, pull your boob up and rest it on straining fabric than to just pull your top up a bit.
    For every woman everywhere? Any woman who pulls down their top is therefore doing so for attention?

That is just silly.

For every woman everywhere? Any woman who pulls down their top is therefore doing so for attention?

That is just silly.

Putting words into my mouth is equally silly. ;)

I never said any woman who pulls down her top to feed is doing it for attention. I also clearly said that I don't give a damn how someone chooses to feed. Whatever suits mum and baby is what matters.

To have your photo taken while you're intently staring at someone instead of focusing on feeding your baby, then plastering it all over the internet though? Yup, attention seeking

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭LETHAL LADY

Nothing wrong with breastfeeding and good luck to anyone that can do it, I never could :( ,but do know what gets on my wick is when some first time mums, like this drama queen, suddenly become an authority on everything baby. Pop out a few more sprogs and you'll have feck all time to be worrying about some eejit looking at you.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

That is just silly.

You cannot equate a woman breastfeeding with a woman with a woman posting an article about a person staring at her.

Putting words into my mouth is equally silly.
    You have no problem putting words into the mouth of the breastfeeding mother in question though, or ascribing motives at least.

I never said any woman who pulls down her top to feed is doing it for attention.
    So is there something about this particular woman that makes you think so? It was, after all, an argument you made/agreed with.
    To have your photo taken while you're intently staring at someone instead of focusing on feeding your baby, then plastering it all over the internet though? Yup, attention seeking
    Do you not think there is a difference between looking for attention through the act of breastfeeding, which is what you have already said, and looking for attention through a response to (apparently) somebody else's negative reaction to your breasfeeding?

The evidence for the latter is right in front of us, but the evidence for the former seems to centre on how much of her breast was exposed.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

That child will never eat all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

It's absolutely not just an assumption that a woman doesn't have to lob the whole tit out to breastfeed. The baby is only attached to the nipple, not the whole breast, and it would actually be more comfortable for her to pull up her top, and not restrict the breast, than pull up her breast over the neckline of her top or whatever way she's trying to breastfeed there.

Personally, I wouldn't care either way if she wanted to yank off the top at all, because she might have to switch breasts anyway during feeding, and is she gonna try and get 'em both out over the neckline, or just use the more efficient method of pulling up her top for one breast at a time that's more comfortable and more discreet.

In the case of this particular woman, it's exactly what she wants is all the attention focused on this particular woman, rather than making any point about encouraging social acceptance of breastfeeding. It's pretty much socially acceptable already. What's not so socially acceptable is just whipping them out in public just for the sake of it to draw attention to themselves.

There are plenty of women manage to breastfeed in public and don't even notice anyone staring, because they're more concerned about feeding their baby than they are about whether anyone is staring at them or not.

• Advertisement

You have no problem putting words into the mouth of the breastfeeding mother in question though, or ascribing motives at least.

So is there something about this particular woman that makes you think so? It was, after all, an argument you made/agreed with.

Do you not think there is a difference between looking for attention through the act of breastfeeding, which is what you have already said, and looking for attention through a response to (apparently) somebody else's negative reaction to your breasfeeding?

The evidence for the latter is right in front of us, but the evidence for the former seems to centre on how much of her breast was exposed.

the woman's actions are what makes me agree with the argument that she's seeking attention. Not only does she take out her entire breast, which is fair enough if that's what's comfortable (don't see how it can be), but to stare someone down while doing it? That's blatant attention seeking. She spent her time staring at a stranger rather than focusing on feeding her child.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭ThinkProgress

It's easy enough to forget that breastfeeding is actually a form of cannibalism! :D

Really surprised that point hasn't come up yet. You're all off your game tonight people... :rolleyes:

the woman's actions are what makes me agree with the argument that she's seeking attention. Not only does she take out her entire breast, which is fair enough if that's what's comfortable (don't see how it can be), but to stare someone down while doing it? That's blatant attention seeking. She spent her time staring at a stranger rather than focusing on feeding her child.

'The woman's actions' is a bit vague. Could you be a bit more specific?

What makes you think it is more likely that the woman actually breastfed her baby in a way that would get her the attention she wanted*, rather than getting the attention she wanted through taking a picture of her response to some stranger staring at her?

*Considering you have already accepted that how she is breastfeeding in the picture might simply be the way that is most comfortable for her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Gaygooner

People are such prudes. I love nudist beaches free and easy and no one bats an eyelid

She was feeding her baby ffs

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭slogging...it

Free topless woman ya may aswell, cause you'll be objectifying them if ya pay ta see a bita tit

Free topless woman ya may aswell, cause you'll be objectifying them if ya pay ta see a bita tit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOfI48IWESo Have a bit of bitty

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭EazyD

The only thing I'm seeing here is that she's an attention seeking airhead. Plenty of women breastfeed in public and show due consideration without issue.

Gaygooner wrote: »
    People are such prudes. I love nudist beaches free and easy and no one bats an eyelid

She was feeding her baby ffs

Some people are far too quick to judge other people as prudes. This woman wasn't on a nudist beach, which would have nothing to do with where or how she chose to feed her baby anyway.

One of the most common mistakes women make when breastfeeding is that they think it's necessary to expose the whole breast while breastfeeding, and I'd imagine that's what puts them off the idea more than anything, because most women don't want to be exposing their breasts in public.

The easiest and most convenient way to do it is simply to pull up their top and expose the nipple, without exposing the whole breast, particularly if they haven't remembered to bring breast milk in a bottle beforehand. It's standard practice for anyone with babies that they prepare beforehand - nappies, milk, etc.

On a side-note, while I'd have no problem with a baby being breastfed in public, I would hope that a person would have enough consideration for other people that they wouldn't lob the baby up on the table in front of them because the baby necessarily needs changing!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Canadel

EazyD wrote: »
    The only thing I'm seeing here is that she's an attention seeking airhead. Plenty of women breastfeed in public and show due consideration without issue.
    You really should explain this part as it makes no sense as a standalone remark.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Uncle Ben

Canadel wrote: »
    You really should explain this part as it makes no sense as a standalone remark.

Can't see any problem with women getting their tits out. I'm sure I speak for a lot of men in asking for more women to follow soothe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭moneymad

Kind of reminds me of the knobs who cycle around wearing those helmet cams looking for trouble.
    Nice tits !:)

Uncle Ben wrote: »
    Can't see any problem with women getting their tits out.
    There is a problem with it, but it absolutely does not lie with the women getting their tits out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

seamus wrote: »
    Should she have been more discreet? No. It's a woman feeding her child? What's the problem?

If a woman wants to be discreet about it, then she should be discreet about it. If a woman is happy enough to just whip her whole top off and breastfeed, then she should do that.

Anyone who has a problem with either should just go fnck themselves.

And some other woman wants to stare at her tit, and this other woman won't be discreet either, cos you know.. if the breastfeeding woman has a problem with the staring, she can go f*ck herself too.

See.. we don't get far with that attitude, right or wrong.

This photo is staged btw. Load of bollox.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

Lovely bit of squirrel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭EazyD

A standalone remark that applies to pretty much every facet of civilised society. Most rational people are tolerant and accepting of breastfeeding in public, what I and many other posters are pointing out is that the woman in question is quite clearly going out of her way to cause a stir with this. Her main concern should be ensuring the baby is fed, not challenging other diners to a stare-off and posting it online for attention.

EazyD wrote: »
    A standalone remark that applies to pretty much every facet of civilised society. Most rational people are tolerant and accepting of breastfeeding in public, what I and many other posters are pointing out is that the woman in question is quite clearly going out of her way to cause a stir with this. Her main concern should be ensuring the baby is fed, not challenging other diners to a stare-off and posting it online for attention.
    Who are you or anybody else to say what her main concern should be? You claim to be tolerant yet a lot of what you say suggests intolerance. Accusations of attention seeking could be applied to someone driving a flashy car, or wearing fashionable clothes. It's not a plausible argument and only exposes the true sentiment behind your words.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 754 ✭✭✭mynameis905

Who are you or anybody else to say what her main concern should be? You claim to be tolerant yet a lot of what you say suggests intolerance. Accusations of attention seeking could be applied to someone driving a flashy car, or wearing fashionable clothes. It's not a plausible argument and only exposes the true sentiment behind your words.

I agree with this. A lot of posters seem to realise that criticising the woman for breastfeeding in public isn't really going to fly anymore so they prefer to attack it from another angle and claim that the woman was attention-seeking or even more bizarrely, breastfeeding the wrong way. Seriously, over top feeding bad, under top feeding good? Are we that offended by the sight of the human body that seeing a few more inches of a breast is going to cause mass offence?

When someone does something in public, they are subjecting themselves to public opinion. That means anyone has a say as to what her main concern should be, because she gives them that opportunity when she does something in public. When she posts a picture of herself breastfeeding on social media and claims that she was being stared at, she is the person who is taking offence at someone staring at her. The person she claims was staring at her isn't doing anything out of the ordinary.

I agree with this. A lot of posters seem to realise that criticising the woman for breastfeeding in public isn't really going to fly anymore so they prefer to attack it from another angle and claim that the woman was attention-seeking or even more bizarrely, breastfeeding the wrong way. Seriously, over top feeding bad, under top feeding good? Are we that offended by the sight of the human body that seeing a few more inches of a breast is going to cause mass offence?

The problem for this woman is that there weren't enough people offended by her actions, so what better way to get attention for herself than have someone else take a photo of her staring at nobody in particular while she's breastfeeding her child in what looks like a contrived effort to gain the maximum attention possible.

I don't think there's any mass offense here, people can see right through her efforts really and that's why they're not offended by her choosing to breastfeed in public, but rather seeing that the way she went about it was just attention seeking.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 754 ✭✭✭mynameis905

When someone does something in public, they are subjecting themselves to public opinion. That means anyone has a say as to what her main concern should be, because she gives them that opportunity when she does something in public. When she posts a picture of herself breastfeeding on social media and claims that she was being stared at, she is the person who is taking offence at someone staring at her. The person she claims was staring at her isn't doing anything out of the ordinary.

In reality, I'm staring into the eyes of a woman staring at me. She is looking at me with disgust and shaking her head with judgement in an attempt to shame me and indirectly tell me without words that I am wrong and need to cover myself.

Do you consider looking at someone with disgust and shaking their head to be acceptable?

Great use of language like 'claims' and 'The problem for this woman is that there weren't enough people offended by her actions' in your posting btw. Anything at all to discredit the breastfeeding woman, right?

Advertisement