Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Breastfeeding Mom in restaurant stare off...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

I think anyone eating should show some consideration for the people around them. I mean, they don't really have to show themselves eating, they should cover up a bit with a blanket so people don't have to be subjected to watching other people eat. Anyone who eats in public need are just attention seeking. Why can't people just discretely go into some corner to eat, or the bathroom or somewhere else? I mean, you have to be mindful of other peoples sensitivities when in public after all...

Look, I don't give a damn if women have to pull off their tops to breastfeed. The woman in the OP is probably making a mountain out of a molehill but this thread shows that her point is somewhat valid. If your argument can't be applied to normal eating, then you don't have an argument. They're just boobs being used for what they're made for, and I think it's an awful pity that due to people over sexualising things, it's somehow shameful/offensive to some people that a woman should have to feed a baby in the best way a baby can be fed. I think it's more a pity that people are defending the "poor" people who can't deal with the sight of a boob. Why can't a woman take out her boob to breastfeed withouy having to worry about not offending people? I don't mean telling everyone passing her that she's breatfeeding but if a baby is hungry, then there should be no problem with a woman taking out her breat without trying to cover it.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭jimdublin15

Do you consider looking at someone with disgust and shaking their head to be acceptable?

Get it all the time, for other reasons I must say. Still someone disapproving or looking is no reason to have a utter spaz attack in life like this individual seems to have done.

In a cafe 1 person looked and disapproved - Oh no :eek:

Do you consider looking at someone with disgust and shaking their head to be acceptable?

Great use of language like 'claims' and 'The problem for this woman is that there weren't enough people offended by her actions' in your posting btw. Anything at all to discredit the breastfeeding woman, right?

If I was there, I'd be staring at her wondering why she got the boob out over the top of the teeshirt and not the much more comfortable option of the bottom!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭EazyD

Canadel wrote: »
    Who are you or anybody else to say what her main concern should be? You claim to be tolerant yet a lot of what you say suggests intolerance. Accusations of attention seeking could be applied to someone driving a flashy car, or wearing fashionable clothes. It's not a plausible argument and only exposes the true sentiment behind your words.

If the woman decides to behave as she did by staring someone down in public and post it on the internet then of course one would presume it was to gain attention towards herself or her so called "cause". I can have an opinion, as much as you yourself have and would perhaps not be too far off in suggesting that most people would agree that in this situation the woman was looking for confrontation. Is suggesting people show consideration for others intolerance? Of course not but do continue.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Do you consider looking at someone a woman with her whole breast out while breastfeeding with disgust and shaking their head to be acceptable?

Where is this woman that's looking at her with disgust and shaking her head?

Oh that's right, she's not pictured, at all!

Great use of language like 'claims' and 'The problem for this woman is that there weren't enough people offended by her actions' in your posting btw. Anything at all to discredit the breastfeeding woman, right?

It doesn't take anything to discredit someone when they don't present any evidence for their claims. How seriously would you like me to take them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

what is exact issue here-woman looking at another womans tit ?what if it was man enjoying the view ? would that be be considered starring down,or would person would have to poke his eyes and look at ceiling before she finishes.
    As only 1st world trouble i see here one is complaining about flashing here tit in public and getting attention.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭ThinkProgress

Would breastfeeding in certain circumstances not be considered unhygienic?

Like in a restaurant/cafe... something like that? (Bodily fluids + food?)

Genuine question.

Breast milk would be more sterile than a glass of cows milk.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

'Merica... Look the one mistake people make in comparing us is that thinking we both speak English that they're like us, they're not.

They're a country of nutcases.. And for the record, I think this is just a stupid set up.

And she has a nice big boob.

And yet both countries have similar laws on breastfeeding. Oddly, the "country of nutcases" managed put this protection in place a good few years ahead of Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 754 ✭✭✭mynameis905

Where is this woman that's looking at her with disgust and shaking her head?

Oh that's right, she's not pictured, at all!

This is what I said:

This is what you misquoted:
    Do you consider looking at someone a woman with her whole breast out while breastfeeding with disgust and shaking their head to be acceptable?

For the record I have no problem with someone displaying their whole breast while feeding their child but please do not edit my post and then quote it to suit your own argument.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭ThinkProgress

sup_dude wrote: »
    Breast milk would be more sterile than a glass of cows milk.

Ya learn something new everyday. Tnx! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Has one single woman said they would also breastfeed in the same manner in a restaurant?

Do whatever you want but don't expect no reaction when you choose the method of feed that displays the most breast.

BTW, she looks like a complete attention seeker.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,764 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

I see a boob, wooooo!

Ya learn something new everyday. Tnx!

No problem :) unless the woman herself has a problem, then breast milk should be sterile. However, if she has something wrong, she would either not be breast feeding, or it doesn't matter if she breast feeds or not.
    Senna wrote:
    Do whatever you want but don't expect no reaction when you choose the method of feed that displays the most breast.

And why is that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

In grownup countries like France feeding your babies as nature intended is normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Like in a restaurant/cafe... something like that? (Bodily fluids + food?)

Genuine question.

Nope. Children suckle the milk directly into their mouths and swallow instantly.

I've breastfed in loads of places, from restaurants to a funeral. Never once got a reaction and I've been breastfeeding for over three years with my two children.

La Fenetre wrote: »
    Cheaper than hooters and better food too.
    The great thing is you can now stare as long as you want at their tits, just as long as you let them stare back. Sounds like a good deal to me.

Them staring back?!
    No way! But that's a clear violation of my rights and my personal melarky what's its.
    Not on my watch, hell no.
    No sir eeeeee

lazygal wrote: »
    Nope. Children suckle the milk directly into their mouths and swallow instantly.

I've breastfed in loads of places, from restaurants to a funeral. Never once got a reaction and I've been breastfeeding for over three years with my two children.

Just so we're all on the same page....
    You breastfed your baby at the funeral, right....?!

Panthro wrote: »

Yes. Like I said. Did you not believe me?

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭La Fenetre

Panthro wrote: »

There's nothing quite beats getting your tits out a funeral for a bit of attention.
    That yank in the OP is clearly an amateur.

• Advertisement

There's nothing like getting your tits out a funeral for a bit of attention.

There's nothing like using the phrase getting your tits out in the context of breastfeeding to show you haven't a clue how breastfeeding works.

This is what I said:

This is what you misquoted:

For the record I have no problem with someone displaying their whole breast while feeding their child but please do not edit my post and then quote it to suit your own argument.

For the same record, I have no problem with a woman displaying their breasts for any reason, I have a problem with someone claiming that they're being stared at in disgust, and then instead of showing us this person who they claim was staring at them in disgust, she shows us a picture of her breastfeeding her child in what has to be a very uncomfortable manner. There are recommended ways to breastfeed in public, such as pulling up her top so as not to expose the whole breast when only exposing the nipple is necessary.

The reason I edited your post was simply to highlight how your own use of language was taking what I had posted out of context and playing down what didn't suit you, and playing up what did, putting your own spin on things and ignoring context and so on.

By all means more women should be encouraged to breastfeed, but there's no necessity to encourage women to whip out the whole breast to do so, when the baby only needs to be attached to the nipple.

One eyed jack sometimes women and children need to feed in different ways. Others sensitive reactions to me feeding my children in the most suitable manner possible weren't and aren't going to affect how I breastfeed. Breastfeeding is how babies and children should be fed. Regardless of how other people think it's whipping out a breast.

For the same record, I have no problem with a woman displaying their breasts for any reason, I have a problem with someone claiming that they're being stared at in disgust, and then instead of showing us this person who they claim was staring at them in disgust, she shows us a picture of her breastfeeding her child in what has to be a very uncomfortable manner. There are recommended ways to breastfeed in public, such as pulling up her top so as not to expose the whole breast when only exposing the nipple is necessary.

One eyed Jack, you are aware that you've contradicted yourself here?

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭La Fenetre

lazygal wrote: »
    There's nothing like using the phrase getting your tits out in the context of breastfeeding to show you haven't a clue how breastfeeding works.

You missed a trick by not tweeting a pic of yourself with your tit out, staring daggers at the deceased's relatives at their loved one's funeral.

You missed a trick by not tweeting a pic of yourself with your tit out, staring daggers at the deceased's relatives at their loved one's funeral.

Lolz. Yes getting my tits out at a funeral for attention was much more important than feeding my child so he didn't scream the place down.

I thought you were prolife? How much more pro-life can I get than not only gestating two children but using my breasts to feed them for years after the birth?

And why is that?

Because it's unusual?

Of course anything unusual or out of the ordinary is going to draw attention, perhaps even more so if the intent is to draw attention.

Could she have breastfed without exposing her whole breast? Of course.

Does she have to? Of course not, but then she doesn't have an expectation that people shouldn't stare when she's doing something that she knows people are going to stare at her for doing.

That's not doing women who breastfeed any favours, because most women who breastfeed don't expose their whole breast when feeding.

The reason I edited your post was simply to highlight how your own use of language was taking what I had posted out of context and playing down what didn't suit you, and playing up what did, putting your own spin on things and ignoring context and so on.

Whether you agree with my posting or not, don't you dare edit someone else's post.

One eyed Jack, you are aware that you've contradicted yourself here?

I'm actually not aware of any contradiction there tbh. By all means a woman can expose her breasts for whatever reason she wants.

Suggesting that there are better ways to breastfeed in public, doesn't contradict that statement.

• Advertisement

There are recommended ways to breastfeed in public, such as pulling up her top so as not to expose the whole breast when only exposing the nipple is necessary.

Recommended by who exactly?

Advertisement