Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Breastfeeding Mom in restaurant stare off...

Options
  • 06-12-2015 4:55pm

...so some woman in a restaurant in the States was breast feeding her child in a restaurant, claims she saw someone staring at her, and began to stare back defiantly. And if course handily it was snapped and did the rounds on the inane sites like Her.ie where she was heralded as some champion of women's or mother's lib...

http://www.people.com/article/mom-breastfeeding-uncovered-photo-viral

Was she striking a blow for mothers? Or should she be a little more discreet? Or does the whole thing seem a little staged to gain an internet presence?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

....usin the bosoms to feed a baby. What will the perverts think of next.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

People really need to chill out about breast feeding, it's really not some big deal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

'Merica... Look the one mistake people make in comparing us is that thinking we both speak English that they're like us, they're not.

They're a country of nutcases.. And for the record, I think this is just a stupid set up.

And she has a nice big boob.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭Old Perry

She is edgy as fook.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Without seeing who she's looking at the photo is useless.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭beyondbelief67

Wow, I dont think she needs to be so out there when feeding her baby! My daughter is breastfeeding her baby too and you'd never guess unless she told you, both for her privacy and everyone's comfort.
    That pic does look very staged.

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Icaras

Maybe they were just checking out her boobs?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,094 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Without seeing who she's looking at the photo is useless.

Not entirely useless. There is a massive tit on show.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

this is undoubtedly, along with people at comic conventions staring at cosplayers arses, the great social issue of our time

Americans, is there no end to their daftness?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,675 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Attention seeker seeks attention and gets it.

That's all there is to this story really.

• Advertisement

PARlance wrote: »
    Not entirely useless. There is a massive tit on show.

While she's a bit of a tit alright, I wouldn't say she's that big...

:pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭The Sidewards Man

This wouldn't have happened if she went to supermacs.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Surely being naked is even more natural than breastfeeding (100% of people are born naked) . Would she be happy with a load of hairy todgers waving around as the lads walk past her in the restaurant :D

#freewilly . End the oppression!!!!!!!eleven!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

She's really just making the point that some idiot was trying to shame her in public and she was having none of it, because being offended by something is not a good reason to force someone else to change their behaviour.

Should she have been more discreet? No. It's a woman feeding her child? What's the problem?

If a woman wants to be discreet about it, then she should be discreet about it. If a woman is happy enough to just whip her whole top off and breastfeed, then she should do that.

Anyone who has a problem with either should just go fnck themselves.

...so some woman in a restaurant in the States was breast feeding her child in a restaurant, claims she saw someone staring at her, and began to stare back defiantly. And if course handily it was snapped and did the rounds on the inane sites like Her.ie where she was heralded as some champion of women's or mother's lib...

http://www.people.com/article/mom-breastfeeding-uncovered-photo-viral

Was she striking a blow for mothers? Or should she be a little more discreet? Or does the whole thing seem a little staged to gain an internet presence?

She was doing feck all for mothers, breastfeeding or not.
    She should have been a lot more discreet.
    Pic definitely staged.
    As a mother who breastfed, it is only good manners to consider the sensibilities of others. Breastfeeding can be done in public without whipping the whole tit out over the top of her teeshirt as she has done. It would be much more comfortable for her to take the boob out from the bottom of the teeshirt, rather than almost cutting off the blood supply doing it as she has done.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

As a mother who breastfed, it is only good manners to consider the sensibilities of others.
    With all due respect, fnck the "sensibilities" of others. It's not like she's walking around wearing a leather suit with "cum dump" tattooed across her forehead. She's breastfeeding a child. She's not making a statement or being edgy, just feeding a bloody baby.
    There is nothing to be sensitive about, and anyone who is sensitive about it just needs to be ignored.

seamus wrote: »
    With all due respect, fnck the "sensibilities" of others. It's not like she's walking around wearing a leather suit with "cum dump" tattooed across her forehead. She's breastfeeding a child. She's not making a statement or being edgy, just feeding a bloody baby.
    There is nothing to be sensitive about, and anyone who is sensitive about it just needs to be ignored.

With all due respect, I beg to differ. She sure as Hell IS making a statement and trying to be edgy. She is doing the cause of breastfeeding no favours at all.
    It cost's nothing to consider others. Discretion is the better part of valour.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭cassid

When I breastfed in cafes I noticed once or twice men changing tables and moving closer. But I was always discreet and wore breastfeeding tops which makes life so much easier, you could still tell I was breastfeeding. I think its good to promote breastfeeding as the normal way to feed your baby as mother nature intended, and the more we see of it in public the better, hopefully increase our nations breastfeeding rates which are not great but we need to be mindful of people around us. Breastfeeding can be done very discreetful.

At home, will plop them out like herself in the picture, for a bit of air, they get very warm when full of milk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭ThinkProgress

In fairness now... they really were milkin that situation a bit. ;)

She's really just making the point that some idiot was trying to shame her in public and she was having none of it, because being offended by something is not a good reason to force someone else to change their behaviour.

Yes it is, it's why we don't encourage men to go around flashing themselves at people, because it's offensive to most people.

Should she have been more discreet? No. It's a woman feeding her child? What's the problem?

The problem is she wasn't even attempting to be discreet about it.

If a woman wants to be discreet about it, then she should be discreet about it. If a woman is happy enough to just whip her whole top off and breastfeed, then she should do that.

Anyone who has a problem with either should just go fnck themselves.

If everyone were to have that attitude towards anyone who has a problem with their behavior, eventually it's gonna come back to bite them in the ass at some point.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭NachoBusiness

If a woman is happy enough to just whip her whole top off and breastfeed, then she should do that.

Eh, yeah, that would be fine if they needed to whip their top off to breastfeed or have no other options. I mean, a woman breastfeeding topless in Africa is hardly doing so for attention or for any other nefarious reasons, but there's a vast bloody difference between doing that and doing so in Starbucks. I agree that they should be able to do it and it be legal to do it but when there is no practical reason for doing so, why do it? If I cut my nipple on a shirt button or something and need to put a band aid on it when I am out at a restaurant or wherever, I am not going to whip my whole shirt off to do so, that's just idiocy. At a beach maybe. The point is nobody would have an issue with a required level of undress.

I have no issues with women breastfeeding in public by the way. I think it's weird to think it's weird tbh. However in my view there are lot of women using this issue for attention. The woman on the cover of Time magazine was a good example of that. I really don't think these women who pose like the woman in the OP, are doing so purely to raise awareness of breastfeeding. They have other issues going on and I think it's fairly obvious tbh. If all they were about was extinguishing the taboo of public breastfeeding, they would do so in a less obnoxious and explicit manner.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,554 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

That's gonna be one chubby baby.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,554 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Also, there is, in my opinion, a fairly significant difference between attempting to be discreet (why should they?) and attempting to make a scene (why should they?).

That picture (is that all we have to go on?) tells us nothing though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭Sheep Lover

Nice tits

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Yes it is, it's why we don't encourage men to go around flashing themselves at people, because it's offensive to most people.

The problem is she wasn't even attempting to be discreet about it.

If everyone were to have that attitude towards anyone who has a problem with their behavior, eventually it's gonna come back to bite them in the ass at some point.

You cannot seriously compare a man flashing his penis at people to a woman breastfeeding. That is some utter Grade A nonsense and you know it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

Y'know, I agree with your points. Personally I don't care if she whips out both boobs to feed. She's perfectly entitled to, and breastfeeding is a natural, nurturing thing and fair play to any mum who does it (i know it's not possible for all mums and some choose not to, which is also cool).

I don't care how much of her is on show, I've seen many women breastfeeding and whatever, it's no big deal.

But - if you're taking out your entire breast to feed your child, instead of using a feeding bra or top, then I'm also going to assume you're doing it for attention. Most mothers don't actually want to take out their entire breast and those who do - why? Feeding bras and tops are perfectly comfortable - more comfortable than having random people gawking at your tits, I'd imagine.

Much as I agree with her right to feed how she sees fit, this screams 'give me attention.'

• Site Banned Posts: 167 ✭✭Yakkyda

"quick, take a picture of me staring at nothing while the kid is on the tit"

Without the other woman in shot, it's very staged looking, I mean there seems to be diners a lot closer that seem oblivious, if it happened I'd say she scanned the room for a disapproving look. Looks like very uncomfortable way to breastfeed tbf, probably deliberately so.
    Personally, I couldn't give a fcuk, I quite fond of tips me self, baby ruined the shot imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭TheQuietFella

It wouldn't have bothered me but she should have been more discreet.

One glove doesn't fit all & that is unfortunately the way they want it!

It wouldn't have bothered me but she should have been more indiscreet

Like exposing the other one and tweaking the nipple between thumb and forefinger? That would have been more indiscreet.

• Advertisement

Sonics2k wrote: »
    You cannot seriously compare a man flashing his penis at people to a woman breastfeeding. That is some utter Grade A nonsense and you know it.

Seamus' point was that being offended isn't a good reason to force someone to change their behavior, so by that same reductionist standard, someone who wants to flash their penis in public shouldn't be expected to cover up because people find their behavior offensive.

The idea that people should show no consideration for other people is what's grade A nonsense, the comparison isn't, because a person can justify any behaviour they want by that standard - if other people are offended, fcuk 'em!

Like I said - it's a standard that'll come back to bite them in the ass at some point.

Advertisement