Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix - Film Recommendations *READ FIRST POST*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

Just watched Toy Soldiers on Irish Netflix, a underrated gem starring Sean Astin from 1991, Colombian terrorist Luis Cali (Andrew Divoff) takes an American prep school hostage as a means of gaining his drug lord father's freedom. Privileged yet rebellious students Joey (Wil Wheaton), Billy (Sean Astin), Snuffy (Keith Coogan) and Hank (T.E. Russell) find that they are better equipped to deal with the threat than the mostly ineffectual government agencies sent to rescue them. With resourceful Billy as their leader, the students struggle to defeat the terrorists and save the school.

What I love about this is that it's a film that doesn't shy away from the violence and actually shocking the audience
    The death of Wil Wheaton's Joey is shocking even today for how brutal it is
    you wouldn't get away with it today. Astin is a likeable lead, you hate him at the start but you are rooting for him in the end. But the film is stolen by Andrew Divoff as the Villain, who is actually ruthless. Louis Gossett, Jr and Denholm Elliot are very good as the teachers. Well worth a watch and actually a very solid action thriller.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭den87

Separate threads for film & TV
    This could have been mentioned but "The Booth at the End" is on the Spanish Netflix. Great little series.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭MakeEmLaugh

Looper007 wrote: »
    Just watched Toy Soldiers on Irish Netflix, a underrated gem starring Sean Astin from 1991, Colombian terrorist Luis Cali (Andrew Divoff) takes an American prep school hostage as a means of gaining his drug lord father's freedom. Privileged yet rebellious students Joey (Wil Wheaton), Billy (Sean Astin), Snuffy (Keith Coogan) and Hank (T.E. Russell) find that they are better equipped to deal with the threat than the mostly ineffectual government agencies sent to rescue them. With resourceful Billy as their leader, the students struggle to defeat the terrorists and save the school.

What I love about this is that it's a film that doesn't shy away from the violence and actually shocking the audience
    you wouldn't get away with it today. Astin is a likeable lead, you hate him at the start but you are rooting for him in the end. But the film is stolen by Andrew Divoff as the Villain, who is actually ruthless. Louis Gossett, Jr and Denholm Elliot are very good as the teachers. Well worth a watch and actually a very solid action thriller.

I distinctively remember a press quote on the video cover that described it as "Die Hard meets Dead Poets Society"!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

Thought you were talking about Small Soldiers for a sec. :pac:

I'll add it to my list.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

e_e wrote:
    Thought you were talking about Small Soldiers for a sec.

And what's wrong with Small Soldiers?

• Advertisement

I distinctively remember a press quote on the video cover that described it as "Die Hard meets Dead Poets Society"!

I get the Die hard part but I don't see Dead Poets Society part myself :pac:

The funny thing I remember when Sean Astin and Will Wheaton were on the BBC Saturday children morning show Live and Kicking promoting it, this isn't a kids movie those were the days when even toy companies were even promoting toys for 18 and 15 cert films :pac:

FunLover18 wrote: »
    And what's wrong with Small Soldiers?
    I don't know, but I haven't seen it since it came out on video and I sure didn't remember the part about Colombian terrorists taking school kids hostage. :P

Actually reminds me of:

tumblr_nxftwbQilU1t3fd6go1_540.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,839 ✭✭✭Caovyn Lineah

Excellent, I've been looking for this for years after watching it when I was much much younger. I could never find it on dvd.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

The Duchess, really enjoyed the film. I have yet to watch a film that Ralph Fiennes has been in, that I haven't hated his character.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭coolisin

I have toy soldiers on DVD had to buy it from America before Netflix came calling!
    Remember going to see it in the cinema back in the day!
    It was definitely marketed at kids as I remember the cinema was all kids on a Sunday afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

fin12 wrote: »
    The Duchess, really enjoyed the film. I have yet to watch a film that Ralph Fiennes has been in, that I haven't hated his character.

He's in Harry Potter and wants to kill the little twat. You have to respect that.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

He's in Harry Potter and wants to kill the little twat. You have to respect that.

nah sorry I like Harry Potter and his character is horrible to look at it that aswell. :):)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,930 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

I'd respect him more if he just got on with it instead of poncing around for so long that Hermione managed to drag the other two half way around the world and destroy all his little soul thingys. I mean... he couldn't even kill a defenseless baby!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,685 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

Narcos is superb. It's on the Irish Netflix for sure

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Ageyev

A quick search online doesn't throw anything up but I can well believe it. Entertainment in Video/New Linemwere awful for putting rubbish like "The Crow: Batman meets Terminator" or "Pleasantville: Truman Show meets Back to the Future". They were hilariously bad.

I watched Cold Comes the Night on Netherlands recently. Bryan Cranston plays a small time blind criminal,tasked with transporting a package, him and his driver stop off at a motel and Cranston's package ends up in the hands of a corrupt cop so he takes Alice Eve hostage to help him retrieve the pacakge. It's a small town, crime thriller which is a fine watch, nothing groundbreaking. Seems it was panned by critics and only has one star out of five on Netflix which seems a bit harsh.

Just had a look at the Howard Stern bio-pic Private Part (1997) on Irish Netflix's, I remember back in the day it been a top notch film and today it hold's up every bit as good. With a great support cast including Alison Janney and Paul Giamatti (for me the film is at it's best when Stern and him are on screen). Howard Stern is a likeable lead as himself, although the film is a little let down by the fact his wife (played by Mary McCormack) dumped him a few years after the film. But don't let that ruin it for you, a great underseen gem.

by the way the young girl who plays Stern's daughter is in fact Sarah Hyland from Modern Family.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Ciaran_B

I watched The Gift on one of the Netflixs over the weekend. A really good thriller about a well-heeled couple who move to LA and bump into an old school friend. He immediately starts to edge his way into their lives despite them clearly not wanting him.

The three leads (Jason Bateman, Rebecca Hall and Joel Edgeton) are excellent, it's well shot and edited and doesn't overstay it's welcome. There's some nice twists and the whole thing is nicely low key. Recommended for fans of 90's thrillers like Pacific Heights or Single, White Female.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,187 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Ciaran_B wrote: »
    I watched The Gift on one of the Netflixs over the weekend. A really good thriller about a well-heeled couple who move to LA and bump into an old school friend. He immediately starts to edge his way into their lives despite them clearly not wanting him.

The three leads (Jason Bateman, Rebecca Hall and Joel Edgeton) are excellent, it's well shot and edited and doesn't overstay it's welcome. There's some nice twists and the whole thing is nicely low key. Recommended for fans of 90's thrillers like Pacific Heights or Single, White Female.

What region you watch it on? No sign of it on moreflicks...

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Ciaran_B

Mickeroo wrote: »
    What region you watch it on? No sign of it on moreflicks...

France.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

I thought it was pretty daft tbh, especially the end where
    Joel Edgeton gives Jason Bateman proof that he has broken into his home and drugged his wife and, if they do a simple DNA test on the baby, proof that he sexual assaulted the wife.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,818 ✭✭✭Chris_Bradley

Any region showing Ice Road Truckers?

*edit* checked all regions and no joy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Frank O. Pinion

I thought it was pretty daft tbh, especially the end where
    Joel Edgeton gives Jason Bateman proof that he has broken into his home and drugged his wife and, if they do a simple DNA test on the baby, proof that he sexual assaulted the wife.
    How do know the baby is even his?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

How do know the baby is even his?
    I was saying all you'd have to do is do a simple DNA test to determine if the baby was his or not. You'd have him for breaking and entering at least based on the video. Also, if he didn't rape her, he was reliant on her getting pregnant right around the same time as when he drugged her and broke into the house.

I was saying all you'd have to do is do a simple DNA test to determine if the baby was his or not. You'd have him for breaking and entering at least based on the video. Also, if he didn't rape her, he was reliant on her getting pregnant right around the same time as when he drugged her and broke into the house.

All very good but
    Bateman's character was caught out been a liar, cheat and bully by his wife plus friends and workmates. He lost his job/promotion for screwing over the other guy in work and he lost his wife cause of beating and bullying Joel Edgerton's character. Plus the wife found out the secret in Bateman's past and how it effected Edgerton's character. Imagine if he asked for DNA cause he thinks it's not his kid and it's a case of rape, ends up not seen his kid cause his wife is afraid of the kid's safety after it's proven it is. He has no proof it's Edgerton that did it, that could be anyone in the video.

I loved the Gift, a excellent and well acted (especially Bateman) thriller along with Ex Machina one of the big surprises this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

scouttio wrote: »
    I would urge everyone to spend 30 minutes of your lives being totally engrossed and slightly confused by the bat-**** craziness of Kung Fury

Finally got to watch it over the weekend. Absolutely class

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

The Gift on Flix France is excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Totally agree, plus Rebecca Hall is hot as hell. Any plans for a film with her, Emliy Blunt and Eva Green in the lead roles?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

the french connection (classic) added to irish netflix

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

coolisin wrote: »
    I have toy soldiers on DVD had to buy it from America before Netflix came calling!
    Remember going to see it in the cinema back in the day!
    It was definitely marketed at kids as I remember the cinema was all kids on a Sunday afternoon.

Watched this with my early teenage young fellas last night. Great set-up and they loved it but the rushed ending and lack of drama/tension let it down. Maybe they have been destroyed by much slicker, more dramatic offerings since.
    Films like that where rare enough back then, now every second one is a high tension, all action blockbuster.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement