Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix - Film Recommendations *READ FIRST POST*

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭IvaBigWun

Any good additions in these regions in the past week or so?

Australia

Canada

France

Germany

Italy

Japan

Netherlands

USA

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

Fargo season 2 is on French & Swiss Neflix, couple of episodes in but looks decent so far.

glynf wrote: »
    Fargo season 2 is on French & Swiss Neflix, couple of episodes in but looks decent so far.

It's not grabbing me the same way last year did. I might wait till this year is over and then try a binge watch.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,194 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Separate threads for film & TV
    Anyone who enjoyed Kung Fury should check out Danger 5.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Ageyev

IvaBigWun wrote: »
    Any good additions in these regions in the past week or so?

Australia

Canada

France

Germany

Italy

Japan

Netherlands

USA
    Japan:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=97444393&postcount=6118

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,685 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

I'm still baffled by Halloween 3: Season of the Witch.

Halloween 3...try and make a sequel without Michael Myers......riiiiiiiigggght

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Ally Dick wrote: »
    Halloween 3...try and make a sequel without Michael Myers......riiiiiiiigggght

I think the original intention was to make the Halloween series kind of like an anthology series with a different story for each film. But the third film was so badly received they quickly changed their minds.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

I think the original intention was to make the Halloween series kind of like an anthology series with a different story for each film. But the third film was so badly received they quickly changed their minds.

I can't have Halloween without Dr Sam Loomis

• Registered Users Posts: 12,685 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

Series I abandoned on Netflix because I thought that they were rubbish - From Dusk Till Dawn the series, Marco Polo, Grimm

Ageyev wrote: »

Some good ones there, thanks. I might finally now get around to seeing 2001:A Space Oddysey.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭Tomagotchye

Series I abandoned on Netflix because I thought that they were rubbish - From Dusk Till Dawn the series, Marco Polo, Grimm

By Ghengis.. I liked Marco Polo. Thought it was a pretty good watch. Obviously had faults but I think it was on the right track.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

I persevered with FDTD as a big fan of the movie but by god it was indeed cack!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

Excellent abandonment choices, all flawed shows - add sens8 and daredevil to the list

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

donfers wrote: »
    Excellent abandonment choices, all flawed shows - add sens8 and daredevil to the list

I really enjoyed Sens8 and Daredevil. Sens8 was nearly undone by the first two episodes being completely lifeless but I really enjoyed the way it finished up. Daredevil was great though. The evolution of the Kingpin was really good.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,466 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Patton added to Netflix Canada.

Once Upon a Time in America added to Netflix Belgium.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

The HBO Scientology documentary Going Clear is on Netflix Japan. Well worth a watch.

Just to echo what many have said about Circle. A very good quick watch film with a premise that makes you really think "f*ck, what would I do in this situation?"

Dman001 wrote: »
    The HBO Scientology documentary Going Clear is on Netflix Japan. Well worth a watch.

A HBO title on Netflix? :eek: oooh, interesting!

• Registered Users Posts: 60,466 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Ageyev wrote: »
    A HBO title on Netflix? :eek: oooh, interesting!

There is a number of HBO show's the one's that are co-production's Rome, Deadwood & Behind the Candelabra are on different regions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭MakeEmLaugh

Does anyone know of specific titles which are exclusive to Irish Netflix?

As in, titles that aren't even on the the UK Netflix.

I believe Killinascully used to be exclusive to Irish Netflix.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

Noticed Finders Keepers is on the Irish one. Had me intrigued all year because of the bonkers premise and the positive response it got in Sundance. Might watch it tonight.
    Shannon Whisnant purchased a grill at an auction. Inside the grill was an amputated leg. What follows is a story centered on the enterprising Whisnant and John Wood, the man whose leg wound up in the grill due to an odd chain of events.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,102 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Only the best eh? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Mezcita

American Hustle added to Netflix Japan and Spain.

Edit: Can't seem to turn off the subs on the Spanish one. Japanese one is fine.

e_e wrote: »
    Noticed Finders Keepers is on the Irish one. Had me intrigued all year because of the bonkers premise and the positive response it got in Sundance. Might watch it tonight.
    Pretty good, was a tad let down by how generic the presentation was. A story this extraordinary deserves a more interesting film imo. Still an entertaining 80 minutes.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

e_e wrote: »
    Pretty good, was a tad let down by how generic the presentation was. A story this extraordinary deserves a more interesting film imo. Still an entertaining 80 minutes.

Is it a documentary or a film?

Is it a documentary or a film?
    Documentary.

http://flixsearch.io shows how many titles are on each region. I dunno the differences between Ire and UK but there's usually only about ten or twenty different titles

Mezcita wrote: »
    American Hustle added to Netflix Japan and Spain.

Edit: Can't seem to turn off the subs on the Spanish one. Japanese one is fine.

Subtitles on some regions seem to be automatic by default. UnblockUs has a feature to knock them off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭MakeEmLaugh

I just watched Kajaki on the Irish Netflix and I honestly cannot recommend it enough. An absolutely outstanding film.
    Charlie19 wrote: »
    Very good movie. If it had of been an American film, I wonder would there of been more hype surrounding it.

It took a little while for this film to hit its stride, I felt. The opening act was solidly made, with some beautiful footage, and interesting details of how the British soldiers pass the time in an area like the Kajaki dam – playing chess with makeshift sand-filled water bottles, exercising using rocks in lieu of weights etc. Nonetheless, it was hardly the most gripping start to a film I've seen.

This wasn't helped by the plethora of regional accents – Scottish, West Country, Northern English and rather muddled sound, though I expect it was a deliberate move on the part of the film-makers to have the noise of engines drown out so much of the dialogue. I will say, I have NO IDEA how a film like this could be embraced by audiences in North America, at least without subtitles. I'd be shocked if the average cinema-goer Stateside could understand more than 25% of what is said.

When the 'action' begins, it became one of the tensest films I've seen in a long time. The lack of incidental music heightened the tension, and there were several parts where – no exaggeration – I was cupping my face in my hands for fear of getting a fright.

I'll have to let it sink in a bit more, but this film gets the agony of combat injury better than maybe any film I've seen. I believe it's been renamed Kilo Two Bravo for it's North American release.

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭pheasant tail

Watched 'Like Father Like Son' last night. A Japanese film about 2 families that find out their sons were switched at birth. Very good film. Available on American Flix

• Advertisement

Watched 'Like Father Like Son' last night. A Japanese film about 2 families that find out their sons were switched at birth. Very good film. Available on American Flix
    Yes, not sure if it's on any of the Flixes but Still Walking is a masterpiece too.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement