Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metropolis - new festival?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,483 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Yeah somehow the stage times have worked out pretty well. Should get to see at least 30 mins of most of the acts I wanted to see! Here is a bit of a preview I wrote up ahead of the weekend with a few acts I'm looking forward to catching if anyone wants to have a read.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Great work Ferris. Cannot wait for this

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭cruhoortwunk

leakyboots wrote: »
    Can you get tickets on the day at the venue?
    Weekend tickets sold out, not sure about day tickets though

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Lots of tickets available on www.toutless.com

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Weekend tickets sold out, not sure about day tickets though

might struggle with day tickets €80 a pop

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭Kepler21

Great article Ferris. As someone who doesn't know a huge amount about a lot of the Metropolis acts, it gives me a good flavour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭Sever Tomorrow

Only really going on Saturday for The Roots to be honest. They played EP two years ago and had similar thoughts then but couldn't justify paying that kind of price if it was mainly for them.

Love Chic and would like to see them again but unfortunately they're on the other day.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

Only really going on Saturday for The Roots to be honest. They played EP two years ago and had similar thoughts then but couldn't justify paying that kind of price if it was mainly for them.

Love Chic and would like to see them again but unfortunately they're on the other day.
    don't worry, knowing Chic they'll be back in about 3 weeks....

I had forgotten that Omar Souleyman was announced at the start

http://www.thejournal.ie/omar-souleyman-metropolis-festival-visa-2428190-Nov2015/?utm_source=email
    A CRITICALLY ACCLAIMED Syrian musician set to headline the Irish music festival Metropolis has had his visa refused.
    Omar Souleyman was one of the big names – alongside Nile Rodgers of Chic, The Roots, and Jeff Mills – scheduled to play at the Metropolis Festival, which takes place at the RDS this weekend.
    However the festival organisers said that Souleyman has had to pull out after his visa was refused, which means he won’t be able to play a string of UK dates either. Souleyman had left his home country in 2011 after the Syrian civil war broke out. He is now based in Turkey.

The festival organisers said:

Unfortunately, despite trying to resolve the situation for a few weeks, he was denied a visa to come and perform in Ireland (and in the UK).
    We are extremely disappointed, especially in the current climate, that a Syrian citizen who has performed here and in the UK many times before should be refused a visa to come and do his job. He is a proud representative of his nation and we’re extremely disappointed he will not be joining us this weekend.

The organisers noted that Souleyman had wanted to raise awareness and funds through his live shows for the growing refugee crisis in Syria.
    With that in mind, Amnesty International will be at the festival all weekend to collect donations for their work in Syria.

On his official website, it notes:
    Despite world’s insistence to associate him with his home country’s unending war, Omar gives back nothing but Love.

Souleyman wrote a letter to his homeland in September, where he said:
    …all future Omar Souleyman shows dedicate to help Syrian people fleeing to a better life elsewhere. Omar Souleyman is a refugee himself, but not an exilee, alone providing for a family of 30. Together with all willing promoters of his shows he conspires to raise funds to aid the refugees in flight from Syrian situation.

Souleyman hails from a village named Tell Tamer in the northeast of Syria. He started off as a wedding singer, releasing hundreds of tapes of his music before gaining international attention when the esoteric label Sublime Frequencies began releasing compilations of his work.

He has gone on to play at festivals including Electric Picnic and ATP, and his first newly-recorded album, Wenu Wenu, was released in 2013. His latest record, Bahdeni Nami, was released this year.

Weekend tickets for Metropolis Festival at the RDS are sold out, but day tickets are still available. As well as the music, the festival will involve spoken word, screenings, and art installations by the likes of street artist James Earley and Charlotte Francis.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Sineadbcoyle

Yeah it's pretty crazy isn't it! Either there's something we don't know or they're discriminating (I'd go with the latter).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Sheog

lbj666 wrote: »
    Cool hope the weather is good, any time there was rain when they are at the picnic no one hung around.

For anyone the doesn;t know Arcadia is this big mad max looking tower thingy with a dj booth in it that bursts out flames when the bass drops. Its very dystopian themed.

Arcadia is a big feature at Glastonbury every year and it is always Epic! It used to be at EP back in the day but it hasn't been at EP for a few years now for some reason.

Not sure how it will work at Metropolis though? I would have thought that it's too close to residential areas for the Pyrotechnics.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Sheog

Does anyone else think that the ticket prices are a bit steep considering it is a new festival?

Sheog wrote: »
    Does anyone else think that the ticket prices are a bit steep considering it is a new festival?

Who cares if it's new. The lineup is class

Arcadia is a big feature at Glastonbury every year and it is always Epic! It used to be at EP back in the day but it hasn't been at EP for a few years now for some reason.

Not sure how it will work at Metropolis though? I would have thought that it's too close to residential areas for the Pyrotechnics.
    it doesn't seem too bad for massive flames, finishes at 10pm so should be fine

if it was the Arcadia spider from Glastonbury then that might be a different story :pac:

img.jpg

2ad04eca8dfe3b09b29c6bceb372ee82be5c8155.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

anyone know what the full capacity at this is?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Looks like I may not be able to make the Sunday, but I have a weekend ticket. Will I be able to sell that on the cheap to someone, after Saturday, or what do people think?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,252 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

No, 99 was a steal for the early bird tickets.

Even 150 is fine for the excellent line up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭cruhoortwunk

Selling a spare early bird weekend ticket for €100

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

getting psyched for tomorrow now! Got backstage passes for it which should be cool.
    A friend of a friend works with the Roots.

anyone know what the full capacity at this is?

Think I saw somewhere the capacity was 12,000.

Getting excited now, looking forward to seeing Giorgio Moroder but worried he will play kind of EDM remixes of his tunes rather than sticking to the originals. Have seen clips of him playing over the past year and it was all brutal EDM stuff, would be incredibly disappointing for such a legend to close out the festival with that.

• Advertisement

does he actually DJ himself now or is Chris Cox still doing the DJing with Moroder standing there messing with the mixer every now and again, like before?

I remember when he was meant to play EP in 2013 it was Chris Cox with him, but a friend told me he is now no longer part of the set up and it's just Giorgio Moroder.

Edit: I would be incredibly disappointed if it was something like this.

ugh, that is awful! dance remixes of cheesy 80s movie ballads? I'l be at Jeff Mills thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,348 ✭✭✭lolie

Selling 2 weekend tickets to this as i can't make it if anyone is interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Knex. wrote: »
    Looks like I may not be able to make the Sunday, but I have a weekend ticket. Will I be able to sell that on the cheap to someone, after Saturday, or what do people think?

If someone has a Saturday ticket and wants to swap it for a full, and spot me some euro, let me know. I'll be heading to the RDS around 1 or 2 tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Twigehh

Think I saw somewhere the capacity was 12,000.

Getting excited now, looking forward to seeing Giorgio Moroder but worried he will play kind of EDM remixes of his tunes rather than sticking to the originals. Have seen clips of him playing over the past year and it was all brutal EDM stuff, would be incredibly disappointing for such a legend to close out the festival with that.

Saw Giorgio this summer at Melt fest and I recall him playing Levels followed by I Could Be The One..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭Toast

Any reports? Had a quick look on twitter and sounds like they had some crowd and toilet problems. What was the sound quality like?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭ongarite

Sound quality was very good in Main Hall, Shelbourne and Serpentine.
    Crowd control rather than the crowd was a problem when the main acts were on.

We were trying to get into Shelbourne for Tiga and security had closed the doors.
    No barrier system or Q setup so it was a free for all.
    When we eventually got it the hall was only half full, with most of the crowd huddled by the door. bar area.

Got into Main Hall for Hot Chip with no problems.

Queues to get into Todd Terje were a joke. Pissed off didnt get to see him. Left it too late though so partly my own fault

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,472 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Synode wrote: »
    Queues to get into Todd Terje were a joke. Pissed off didnt get to see him. Left it too late though so partly my own fault

If you paid for him you should have got to see him, you should have went in and pulled some people out of there, you have every right to see him. You should get a ticket refund seeing as you didn't get to see who you wanted.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

Advertisement