Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mary says YES!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,913 ✭✭✭Absolam

kylith wrote: »
    Any evidence to share that show it's being taught as a makey-up story rather than as a central tenant of Christian faith to be taken as, heh, gospel? Because it was definitely taught as fact when I was in school.
    You'll have to ask Gebgbegb I'm afraid... it was his assertion, not mine :) I said I didn't take a position on it; the sentence directly after the one you quoted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭swampgas

Absolam wrote: »
    I said I didn't take a position on it;

Indeed - it seems your seat on the fence is far too comfortable!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,154 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Kev W wrote: »
    I don't see why you need to. Would a Christian be hypocritical if they attended a Jewish funeral?

? Christians don't abhor religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭Kev W

? Christians don't abhor religion.

Neither do atheists, as a rule. How would it be hypocritical for an Atheist to attend a funeral service?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

I'm just pointing out the absurdity of people who think it's ok to impose their sinister neo-Marxist agenda upon Catholic children, and at the same time seek to prevent them from learning about their own faith.
    What makes them Catholic? They were baptised? So if I spray holy water from a cargo plane over Saudi Arabia they're all Catholics whether they like it or not?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,913 ✭✭✭Absolam

swampgas wrote: »
    Indeed - it seems your seat on the fence is far too comfortable!
    It has it's merits... not feeling the need to comment on everyone never mind everything certainly allows more free time for a start :)

Neither do atheists, as a rule. How would it be hypocritical for an Atheist to attend a funeral service?

Atheists don't believe in God and don't approve of religion. It would be the same as if you were'nt a racist and yet attended Ku Klux Klan meetings would'nt it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Atheists don't believe in God and don't approve of religion. It would be the same as if you were'nt a racist and yet attended Ku Klux Klan meetings would'nt it.

How is it the same?

Atheists don't believe in any God or Gods. What they think of religion is irrelevant to being an atheist.

If the RCC were actively burning atheists at the stake, or hounding them out of towns and villages, your analogy might have more power to it.

Atheists's don't believe in God or Gods full stop. Approving or not approving of religion is a personal standpoint.

• Advertisement

Atheists's don't believe in God or Gods full stop. Approving or not approving of religion is a personal standpoint.

So dou you approve of religion?

swampgas wrote: »
    Atheists don't believe in any God or Gods. What they think of religion is irrelevant to being an atheist.

And do you approve of religion?

lazygal wrote: »
    How is it the same?

Do you approve of religion?

So dou you approve of religion?

I neither approve nor disapprove. It's not a simple subject. It's like asking "do you approve of beer?" I don't care for it but if other people like it and they're not trying to force me into drinking it or passing it out in schools that's their business.

That's an imperfect analogy but I'm sure the gist is clear.

And do you approve of religion?

Me personally? I think religious belief is unfounded, but for the most part I think everyone should have the freedom to follow any belief they like, as long as they don't force it onto anyone else.

I strongly approve of separating church and state. The government should be neutral on religion, and not favour any one over another. Nor should religious minorities be forced to follow a majority religion.

All of which is my personal view - other people who are atheists will have their own take on things.

I neither approve nor disapprove. It's not a simple subject. It's like asking "do you approve of beer?" I don't care for it but if other people like it and they're not trying to force me into drinking it or passing it out in schools that's their business.

That's an imperfect analogy but I'm sure the gist is clear.

So am I correct in saying that the only aspect of religion that atheists have a problem with is that religion is a subject in most schools?

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

^ I would be very similar to Swampgas. On a state level, church and state should be completely separate. People are more than welcome to worship as they see fit, but where I do have a problem is when people try to make the doctrine of one religion the law of the land or when they use their religious beliefs to discriminate against particular groups (women, LGBT people, members of another religion etc). I would like to see when my kid goes to school that their classroom is shared with children who are from families of all faiths and none.

So am I correct in saying that the only aspect of religion that atheists have a problem with is that religion is a subject in most schools?

No. Because you're lumping all atheists together as a hive-mind again, which we are not.

Also those problems that some atheists have with religion are more complex than that. Some won't care about teaching religion in schools, some will. Those that have no problem with religion being taught in schools may have a problem with how particular religions treat women and/or gay people and/or people of other faiths.

Also I'm not certain that religion is a subject in most schools, I know that it's taught in Ireland but I'm actually not certain how many countries in the world have religion as a school subject.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,027 ✭✭✭volchitsa

Do you approve of religion?
    That depends. Do you approve of Santa Claus?

I think I feel much the same about both. I'm not sure whether approval or disapproval come into it though.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

It's part of the National Curriculum in the UK but there are a lot fewer faith schools. In the OFSTED Outstanding (community) primary school near me they would consider Christianity covered by year 3 and RE for the remaining 3 years of primary school teaches about Buddhism, Judaism, Hinduism, Sikhism and Islam.

• Advertisement

Sorry Kev, let me put it this way, ami I correct in saying that the only aspect of religion that YOU have a problem with is that religion is a subject in most IRISH schools?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,849 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

What dysfunctional families would that be?

What neo-Marxist agenda? Every time I see Marxism or Marxist it tends to come from someone who has no idea what they are talking about.

The neo-Marxist agenda of taking us away from the old "Catholic State of Ireland", of course. :pac:

Sorry Kev, let me put it this way, ami I correct in saying that the only aspect of religion that YOU have a problem with is that religion is a subject in most IRISH schools?

No.

No.

Oh right, so when you said that you' neither approve or disapprove of religion ' that wasn't really true.

Oh right, so when you said that you' neither approve or disapprove of religion ' that wasn't really true.

Yes it was. See the beer analogy.

You seem for some reason to me trying to discern how many issues I have with religion. Let's say for the sake of argument that it's seven. Now what?

You seem for some reason to me trying to discern how many issues I have with religion. Let's say for the sake of argument that it's seven. Now what?

Well IMO a genuine atheist-and you are either an atheist or you are not an atheist-would have nothing to do with religion and would not be seen within an asses roar of a church,synagogue, temple whatever. Some 'atheists' however seem to pick and choose which aspects of religion offend them. WHINEY TEXT DELETED HERE TO AVOID HAVING TO CARD INTENTIONALLY UNHELPFUL POSTER

Well IMO a genuine atheist-and you are either an atheist or you are not an atheist-would have nothing to do with religion and would not be seen within an asses roar of a church,synagogue, temple whatever.

That is, as you point out your opinion. I don't share it. Being that I am an Atheist and you are not, I may possibly have a better grasp on how an Atheist thinks. Also by that reasoning a Christian should not attend a Jewish funeral because they would not believe that it is the correct way to conduct a funeral.

You can of course have your own opinion on how an Atheist should think or behave, but you can have no reasonable expectation that an Atheist should conform to that.
    Some 'atheists' however seem to pick and choose which aspects of religion offend them.

Again, Atheism is the absence of belief in a God or Gods. Full stop. Being offended doesn't come into it. It's irrelevant.
    It's called hypocrisy but I am not allowed to say that.

It's only hypocrisy if Atheism is defined as you've chosen to define it. It is not.

Well IMO a genuine atheist-and you are either an atheist or you are not an atheist-would have nothing to do with religion and would not be seen within an asses roar of a church,synagogue, temple whatever. Some 'atheists' however seem to pick and choose which aspects of religion offend them. It's called hypocrisy but I am not allowed to say that.

The key bit there is the "IMO".

What an atheist thinks of different religions will vary based on the atheist and the religion. I like Greek mythology, that was once religion. I loath scientology, that's a different religion. I am indifferent to zillions of other religions that I know nothing about.

I dislike the influence Catholicism has over Irish law, education and medicine. However I do like visiting certain cathedrals and admiring the architecture. See the difference?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,027 ✭✭✭volchitsa

Well IMO a genuine atheist-and you are either an atheist or you are not an atheist-would have nothing to do with religion and would not be seen within an asses roar of a church,synagogue, temple whatever.
    Well that's just your own opinion, and as you're not an atheist, that's not terribly relevant, is it?

Some 'atheists' however seem to pick and choose which aspects of religion offend them.
    When "believers" choose not to believe in, or not to obey, significant parts of their own religion, what's the difference?
    It's called hypocrisy but I am not allowed to say that.

And yet you just did.

Is it hypocrisy when so called "believers" are only pretending to believe, seeing as they don't actually follow those beliefs? And what if they are perfectly open about not believing (eg Catholics who claim not to believe in transubstantiation) is that hypocrisy or honesty? Should they stop going to church, to avoid you calling them hypocrites?

Advertisement