Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mary says YES!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,134 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

I simply said that the true atheists that I know do not go into churches . They rightly feel that they have no business in them.

You continue to make the grand mistake of conflating god and religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Bristolscale7

No true Scotsman?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭frostyjacks

Dan_Solo wrote: »
    All do they is complain about church interference is all of the above, correct.
    And?

It's not interefence. Things were working perfectly fine for generations, then along came the little busy bodies that had to go kicking up a fuss and spoil everything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭The Randy Riverbeast

It's not interefence. Things were working perfectly fine for generations, then along came the little busy bodies that had to go kicking up a fuss and spoil everything.

Were these the generations of high mortality rate of "illegitimate" children and other children being abused?

Some of us preferred moving away from that. Apologies if we spoiled things for you. Im impressed you actually replied to someone though.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

I've no problem with the idea of atheism. If someone chooses to reject God, that's up to them. But it seems all they do is complain. Schools, hospitals, jury service, textbooks, voting centres, abortion, marriage, the Angelus....just an endless stream of whinging and moaning.

How dare a minority complain about being discriminated against, bunch of whingers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,165 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Pherekydes wrote: »
    You continue to make the grand mistake of conflating god and religion.

First of all I must confess that I had to look up the meaning of the word conflate. Myself and the circle of friends that I move in would probably never feel the need to use conflate instead of confuse. Anyway I can take it then that the type of atheist that you are would be anti God but pro religion?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Sorry to hear about your uncle Mark but like I say the atheists that I know would pay their respects at the family home or funeral parlour and stay out of the church.
    Perhaps you could tell us a little more about these sad, angry individuals who refuse, for whatever peculiar internal reasons, to go to a family funeral? The only people I know who do this kind of cutting off of their knees to spite their legs stuff are religious. I've certainly never met any atheists, and I've met hundreds, who would do this, or even dream of doing it.

Personally, I think going to a church service is actually quite funny. Last time I was at one, the priest asked the kids - it was a first communion hooplah - to raise their arms in a Hitler salute, then he asked them to "Close your eyes. Because Jesus has come."

What a wonderful Father Ted moment that was -- wouldn't have missed it for the world!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,531 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

I've no problem with the idea of atheism. If someone chooses to reject God, that's up to them. But it seems all they do is complain. Schools, hospitals, jury service, textbooks, voting centres, abortion, marriage, the Angelus....just an endless stream of whinging and moaning.

I read this as nothing more than "wah wah wah, nobody has been giving me attention so i will say something that hasn't been thought out in a terrible attempt to rile people up."

Where did that 'stand up and turn your back to the priest at weddings' guy go to? He's the type of atheist realdanbreen loves.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,867 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Marital rape was legal up until the late 1990s. Damn those feminazis!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Shrap

"the true atheists that I know"

I'm thinking you should change your name to this ^^

Very similar in it's own way to "one of my best friends is a *insert category of people*", being used exclusively by someone who does not approve of *insert category of people* to point out where the *insert category of people* is going wrong

• Advertisement

robindch wrote: »
    Perhaps you could tell us a little more about these sad, angry individuals who refuse, for whatever peculiar internal reasons, to go to a family funeral?

For someone who is watching my posts like a hawk I'm surprised that you appear to be reading something that wasn't said. These people-who believe me are far from sad or angry-have no problem attending funerals or weddings they just stay out of the church side of things. They understand that some atheists would not wish to offend an elderly relative or whatever but they still see it as people pleasing . Its no big deal BTW some people do it all the time but it's a bit hypocritical to pretend that it is anything other than people pleaseing.

Where did that 'stand up and turn your back to the priest at weddings' guy go to?
    No idea, but I'm assuming s(he) self-immolated on receiving an invitation to a friend's wedding or something like that.

Its no big deal
    Seems to be a huge deal for you. Nobody else seems to care.

robindch wrote: »

Personally, I think going to a church service is actually quite funny. Last time I was at one, the priest asked the kids - it was a first communion hooplah - to raise their arms in a Hitler salute, then he asked them to "Close your eyes. Because Jesus has come."

What a wonderful Father Ted moment that was -- wouldn't have missed it for the world!

I take it you had the Porky pies for lunch Rob!

I take it you had the Porky pies for lunch Rob!
    Dan is taking a few days off to hyperventilate in peace.

Anyway I can take it then that the type of atheist that you are would be anti God but pro religion?

No. God, no.

Regarding god, I'm an atheist: I don't believe in a god or gods.

Regarding religion, I'm entirely pro-choice. Pray to whoever or whatever you like, but don't shove it down my throat, keep it out of state affairs, schools and hospitals. If there's a wedding or a funeral in a church I'll go to give moral support to loved ones or bear witness as the case may be.

If your religion involves selling babies to 'good' homes or killing infidels then I oppose that.

Zillah wrote: »
    How dare a minority complain about being discriminated against, bunch of whingers.

The minority aren't just whining now, they're telling the majority what they can and can't do! In their own schools! In their own country! Madness.

The minority aren't just whining now, they're telling the majority what they can and can't do! In their own schools! In their own country! Madness.

The minority are protesting against the [unconstitutional]tyranny of the majority. In their own schools. In their own country! Madness.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Bristolscale7

Frostyjacks is taking the piss. This is a send up. He is trolling you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭The Randy Riverbeast

It says a lot about a person when the creationist has more credibility.

• Advertisement

First of all I must confess that I had to look up the meaning of the word conflate. Myself and the circle of friends that I move in would probably never feel the need to use conflate instead of confuse. Anyway I can take it then that the type of atheist that you are would be anti God but pro religion?

An atheist is someone who doesn't believe in God. An atheist could love religion, and adore the idea of God, and wish they could be religious and get filled with joy-joy feelings just sitting around thinking about God, and think every aspect of mass is like going to the fairground, and still be an atheist - because they don't believe it is true.

If you want to redefine atheist then we may all just mash our faces against the keyboards because we're not communicating any more. I'll start

kt dzj n dfesgfjyuygin78 56434980c9 u jkn ekjlnnbklxf nu98 yh9- p3jn9- 24-98h 9

Also "conflate" means to "put together" - a deliberate action - whereas "confuse", in this context, implies mixing things up, which has slightly different connotations.

Uh oh...rumbled.

*jumps into Popemobile and speeds off back to the Vatican*

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

I simply said that the true atheists that I know do not go into churches . They rightly feel that they have no business in them.
    While you also insulted the "fake" atheists who don't mind attending funerals and weddings.
    Like, we all saw it.
    Unless your personal definition of "I didn't" is "I did"? Hard to know when we don't have access to your private dictionary.

First of all I must confess that I had to look up the meaning of the word conflate. Myself and the circle of friends that I move in would probably never feel the need to use conflate instead of confuse.
    Because none of you appear to give a hoot about any accepted definition of common English words perhaps?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭Kev W

Myself and the circle of friends that I move in would probably never feel the need to use conflate instead of confuse.

Nobody would, they have different meanings. Are you sure you looked it up?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,867 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

I'm still none the wiser as to what made the Catholic State of Ireland better than modern Ireland.

Here's a handy table:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prefix

So "a-theist" is "not believing in god".
    And "anti-theist" is "against the belief in god" or perhaps "against those who believe in god".

K?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,886 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Myself and the circle of friends that I move in would probably never feel the need to use conflate instead of confuse.
    of course you wouldn't. conflate =/= confuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Shrap

Kev W wrote: »
    Nobody would, they have different meanings. Are you sure you looked it up?

He is in fact conflating the two words. :cool:

• Advertisement

Wait, I'm conflated. No I mean an atheist. No confused.

Advertisement