Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mary says YES!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

I hate shiftless atheists as much as therealdanguy

Do you mean atheists who aren't getting The Shift?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

I hate shiftless atheists as much as therealdanguy does.
    Shiftless? Sure who wears a vest these days?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,165 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

You realise that you have made your own definition for a word which is different from the commonly used definition and then you complain about how people use the word to describe themselves using the word's commonly used definition because they arent matching up to your made up definition which only exists in your head.

Right...

And of course you realise(although you pretend not to) that I was explaining that I have the height of respect for the genuine atheists that I have come accross and little time for the ones who if not blaming the church are blaming the state, the school,the establishment, for their shortcomings in life.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭Kev W

And of course you realise(although you pretend not to) that I was explaining that I have the height of respect for the genuine atheists that I have come accross and little time for the ones who if not blaming the church are blaming the state, the school,the establishment, for their shortcomings in life.

Of course, the two different kind of atheists.

No, there aren't any other kinds, if neither applies to you you're probably just a Catholic and forgot.

Check

Check-congratulations, but the majority of your fellow atheists do.

Check- ditto

Why wouldn't I show my respects to the friends and family of the deceased? It's about them and not me. I'm perfectly capable of behaving with consideration and respect towards other people you know.

I have no doubt you are capable of that. Still don't know why you feel you have to attend the church, you could just pay your respects at the funeral home. Like I said earlier it's a bit like attending a KKK rally and then saying that you are not a racist. You can disagree with me but I don't think an atheist has any business in a church.

We often hear about "Christian principles", judge not lest ye be judged was one of them wasn't it?

Once again I am not passing judgement I am simply giving my opinion.

• Advertisement

Once again I am not passing judgement I am simply giving my opinion.

Bull.

Kev W wrote: »
    Bull.

Wow Kev! That post really works, so many meanings on so many levels.
    Go on, as well as being an atheist you also dabble in the old poetry, right?:eek:

Go on, as well as being an atheist you also dabble in the old poetry, right?:eek:

That's not much of a comeback really, is it? I mean I point out that you've flat-out lied and you can only criticise me for being succinct?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I am genuinely curious as to what rationale you used to come to that conclusion.

Well, you have stated that if one does not subscribe to a religion one doesn't respect it, and that one therefore can't attend religious functions without being hypocritical.

Atheists attend religious weddings and funerals for the same reasons that Christians would attend non-Christian weddings or funerals. Namely that we have been invited.

kylith wrote: »
    Well, you have stated that if one does not subscribe to a religion one doesn't respect it, and that one therefore can't attend religious functions without being hypocritical.

Atheists attend religious weddings and funerals for the same reasons that Christians would attend non-Christian weddings or funerals. Namely that we have been invited.

Sure everything is hunky dory so!
    I believe in God and respect all religions.
    You are an atheist but also respect all religions right?

• Advertisement

Do you respect every aspect of every religion?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭lazza14

Fuct up, nothing surprises me anymore about the RCC anyway ..

So if you claim it has many meanings that refutes the fact that he's shown you up as a liar?
    Is "you're a liar and here's proof" one of those many meanings by any chance?

I notice you have no respect for atheism. Except the ones you've defined in your own special way of course.

Dan_Solo wrote: »
    I notice you have no respect for atheism. Except the ones you've defined in your own special way of course.

I don't know how you noticed that Dan seeing as I outlined that I have huge respect for any atheist that sticks to his/her guns and does'nt attend church. Little time for 'pretend' atheists that go into church several times a year.

I don't know how you noticed that Dan seeing as I outlined that I have huge respect for any atheist that sticks to his/her guns and does'nt attend church. Little time for 'pretend' atheists that go into church several times a year.

So you're just flat out refusing to accept any definition of atheism except the one you've invented and are judging atheists by that definition, while also lying about doing so.

One more time: ATHEISM DOES NOT DEMAND DISDAIN FOR RELIGION. IT MEANS THAT ONE DOES NOT BELIEVE IN GOD OR GODS. FULL STOP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Mark Tapley

I will be attending my Uncle's funeral on Wednesday if that makes me a hypocrite so be it. Rather that than be an arsèhole and not show my respects to his family.

I will be attending my Uncle's funeral on Wednesday if that makes me a hypocrite so be it. Rather that than be an arsèhole and not show my respects to his family.

Sorry to hear about your uncle Mark but like I say the atheists that I know would pay their respects at the family home or funeral parlour and stay out of the church.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I respect people.

Sorry to hear about your uncle Mark but like I say the atheists that I know would pay their respects at the family home or funeral parlour and stay out of the church.
    Is the the your-definition atheists or the everybody-else-on-earth-including-atheists-themselves-definition atheists you're talking about?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Shrap

He IS family. Who do you think you are, insinuating that he (as an atheist) should stay out of his own uncle's church funeral? :mad:

That's outrageous, insensitive, ignorant and downright ugly. Appalling comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭volchitsa

You didn't tell us if you use the same binary logic for Catholics who don't practice their religion fully - are they by default non Catholics who should also stay away from the funeral service?

Only that's going to be one empty church, AFAICS. Seems a bit disrespectful even, for the deceased. It's not like these non believers are afraid of being struck by lightening or anything, is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭The Randy Riverbeast

The problem is the only non genuine atheists are ones which believe in a god. Why they would call themselves an atheist is beyond me but seeing as people can be Christian and not believe in God then I suppose it's possible.

It has nothing to do with your made up rules on what is or isnt an atheist.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,134 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

You continue to make the grand mistake of conflating god and religion.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭frostyjacks

I've no problem with the idea of atheism. If someone chooses to reject God, that's up to them. But it seems all they do is complain. Schools, hospitals, jury service, textbooks, voting centres, abortion, marriage, the Angelus....just an endless stream of whinging and moaning.

I've no problem with the idea of atheism. If someone chooses to reject God, that's up to them. But it seems all they do is complain. Schools, hospitals, jury service, textbooks, voting centres, abortion, marriage, the Angelus....just an endless stream of whinging and moaning.

1. The irony

2. You have been replaced, either up your game or leave things to dan who does a much better job at this than you. He at least makes the effort to reply.

Thank you for taking the time out of leaving burning ts in gay people's gardens to visit us but you are no longer required.

... he whinged, moanily.

It's not rejecting God, it's not believing in God. You can't reject something you don't accept the existence of.

All do they is complain about church interference is all of the above, correct.
    And?

Shrap wrote: »
    He IS family. Who do you think you are, insinuating that he (as an atheist) should stay out of his own uncle's church funeral? :mad:

That's outrageous, insensitive, ignorant and downright ugly. Appalling comment.

You can stomp your feet and be appalled all you like. I did not insinuate anything. I simply said that the true atheists that I know do not go into churches . They rightly feel that they have no business in them.

• Advertisement

You can stomp your feet and be appalled all you like. I did not insinuate anything. I simply said that the true atheists that I know do not go into churches . They rightly feel that they have no business in them.

Are non Christians not welcome to join?

Advertisement