Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mary says YES!

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭frostyjacks

Teaching children that dysfunctional and broken families are acceptable = good

Teaching children about their own faith = bad

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Bristolscale7

In the words of Howard "Bunny" Colvin, "Thanks for being you."

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Didn't Jesus come from a pretty dysfunctional family himself?

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Children don't innately have a religious faith unless adults force it on them.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

lazygal wrote: »
    Teenage mother having unprotected sex with a somebody she'd just met, absentee biological father, low-earning foster father. And none of them were even christians.

Sends all the wrong signals to conservatives I'd have thought.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,165 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Pretty sure atheists have the same burial options in local authority owned burial grounds as everyone else.

Sure they have options it's just a little hypocritical of them to elect to be buried in consecrated ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

"Quote: Absolam
    Well, let's not start from an incorrect assumption; you think it's a fact that children are being told something to be true in when in fact tis all a makey up story. I don't take a position on it, since the stipulation is not part of the OP, nor does it seem relevant to it."

Any evidence to share that show it's being taught as a makey-up story rather than as a central tenant of Christian faith to be taken as, heh, gospel? Because it was definitely taught as fact when I was in school.

Why can their parents not teach them about their faith at home and in Sunday school and mass?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,913 ✭✭✭Absolam

looksee wrote: »
    Your argument has been pretty thin for a good while, I think this is just about breaking point.
    Gosh that's me told :)
    Such a well founded rebuttal is certainly beyond dispute!

Pretty sure atheists have the same burial options in local authority owned burial grounds as everyone else.

Sure they have options but is not a bit hypocritical of them to elect to be buried in consecrated ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭Kev W

Sure they have options but is not a bit hypocritical of them to elect to be buried in consecrated ground.

To an atheist "consecrated ground" is just "ground".

• Advertisement

Absentee father, hung out with a bad crowd, got in trouble with the law, died young.

Kev W wrote: »
    To an atheist "consecrated ground" is just "ground".

Oh I got you. Just like when so many 'atheists' choose to get married in a church it really is just a building. Not a trace of hypocracy there I guess.

Oh I got you. Just like when so many 'atheists' choose to get married in a church it really is just a building. Not a trace of hypocracy there I guess.

You guess correctly.

Local authorities cater for all faiths and none. What's hypocritical about being buried in such cemeteries?
    Didn't have a church wedding myself.

Mod:
    Dan - last warning here. Be civil or you'll be carded.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,540 ✭✭✭swampgas

Or if their parents were atheist they might appreciate being told that when they die they can be buried out back with shep the dog.

Atheists really seem to wind you up, don't they?

How about letting parents explain to their children about where and when they can be buried, if that explanation is ever needed, at an appropriate time? The school doesn't need to get involved at all.

Same way the school doesn't need to be involved in indoctrinating kids - no reason why the parents couldn't take care of that too.

But you go back to hating atheists for the fact that they exist and might not want a religion imposed on their kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,865 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

What are these "dysfunctional" and "broken" families? Something tells me that ones with an abusive father aren't included in your list.

swampgas wrote: »
    Atheists really seem to wind you up, don't they?

How about letting parents explain to their children about where and when they can be buried, if that explanation is ever needed, at an appropriate time? The school doesn't need to get involved at all.

Same way the school doesn't need to be involved in indoctrinating kids - no reason why the parents couldn't take care of that too.

But you go back to hating atheists for the fact that they exist and might not want a religion imposed on their kids.

What makes you think I hate atheists? I just find it strange that so many of them don't stick to their principles.If I was an atheist I would like to think I was man enough to never have my kids baptised, never have them get first communion or confirmation, never get married in a church, never attend a funeral service, basicly stick to my principles that's all.

robindch wrote: »
    Mod:Dan - last warning here. Be civil or you'll be carded.

I described a set of circumstances or a position taken as being hypocrital IMO.
    I did not call anyone names as others have done but hey you're the mod.

I described a set of circumstances or a position taken as being hypocrital IMO.
    Most of your input to this thread been little beyond thinly-veiled insults - if you wish to avoid being carded, then either up the standard of your input, or if you can't or won't do that, then cut out the thinly-veiled insults.

That is all.

• Advertisement

What makes you think I hate atheists? I just find it strange that so many of them don't stick to their principles.If I was an atheist I would like to think I was man enough to never have my kids baptised, never have them get first communion or confirmation, never get married in a church, never attend a funeral service, basicly stick to my principles that's all.

Those would be your priniciples if you were an atheist, that doesn't mean they are the principles of every atheist. I've certainly never come across an atheist claiming that it would go against their principles to attend a funeral service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭The Randy Riverbeast

What dysfunctional families would that be?

If you have to teach it to someone then it isn't their own faith.

Kev W wrote: »
    . I've certainly never come across an atheist claiming that it would go against their principles to attend a funeral service.

Me neither! (I'm a little constrained in how I reply, I can't use the word hypocritical for example)

Me neither! (I'm a little constrained in how I reply, I can't use the word hypocritical for example)

I don't see why you need to. Would a Christian be hypocritical if they attended a Jewish funeral?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭frostyjacks

What are these "dysfunctional" and "broken" families? Something tells me that ones with an abusive father aren't included in your list.

I'm just pointing out the absurdity of people who think it's ok to impose their sinister neo-Marxist agenda upon Catholic children, and at the same time seek to prevent them from learning about their own faith.

Hypocrisy runs rampant through Irish society, and many atheists are indeed hypocrites, just as much as those who self-identify as Catholic.

I'm an atheist who doesn't pretend otherwise - got married in a registry office, won't have a church funeral, etc., there are others who "go with the flow" because religion is so deeply embedded in Irish society that (for them) it's just too much hassle to do otherwise.

Back on topic though - how does this relate to the OP???

I'm just pointing out the absurdity of people who think it's ok to impose their sinister neo-Marxist agenda upon Catholic children, and at the same time seek to prevent them from learning about their own faith.

I'm genuinely laughing out loud here. :D:D:D

Thanks for brightening up my morning.

You're right, what you've written there is completely absurd.

How is our not raising children in Catholic doctrine sinister and neo Marxist?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭The Randy Riverbeast

What dysfunctional families would that be?

What neo-Marxist agenda? Every time I see Marxism or Marxist it tends to come from someone who has no idea what they are talking about.

And Im still confused on how something can be a persons faith if they dont believe it and have to be taught to believe it.

Advertisement