Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Words that bug you - written or spoken

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    GOAT (Greatest of all time) :D:D:D
    That's my epitaph right there.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Sudance

"Oriented"

It's orienTATED!!

"Who knew". Where TF did that spawn from????!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Sudance

Im loving it

*smack*

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

As usual it is all SNAFU.

(Situation Normal, All F***ed Up)

or

FUBAR ....... -*- Up Beyond All Repair

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

LANGUAGE Timothy!! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

This is going to be -very- specific to anyone that partakes in online writing communities, but orbs and adorns.

Out into the real world, the overuse of "turns around".
    "So I turns around and says to him, what are you saying and he turns around and says I'm sayin' that and then some wan that wasn't even IN the conversation turns around and says will the two of you shut up because the entire bus can hear you and I turns around and says..."

etc. Situation aside, all that spinning makes me carsick.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,163 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Samaris wrote: »
    This is going to be -very- specific to anyone that partakes in online writing communities, but orbs and adorns.

I would like to be able to quibble that partakes only refers to food, and not as an alternative to 'takes part' or 'participates'. But I am wrong, all the dictionaries (including some guy in the 16th century) say it means to take part. Sigh.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

looksee wrote: »
    I would like to be able to quibble that partakes only refers to food, and not as an alternative to 'takes part' or 'participates'. But I am wrong, all the dictionaries (including some guy in the 16th century) say it means to take part. Sigh.

I bow to the attempted quibble though, sounds like there was much research behind it!

Actually, looking back on it, "partakes" doesn't really look that good just there, it's a rather awkward word.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭campingcarist

looksee wrote: »
    Just put it down to poetic licence - or whatever licence that suits!

As a Scouser I suppose I am used to poor usage of good English. However some things do make even me squirm.

"Ay youse wanna go forra pint or wha?" Nice idea but the way of expressing it gets right up my nose.

• Advertisement

Rubecula wrote: »
    As a Scouser I suppose I am used to poor usage of good English. However some things do make even me squirm.

"Ay youse wanna go forra pint or wha?" Nice idea but the way of expressing it gets right up my nose.
    You must be tilting your head back too far. Anyway, most people drinking from a pint glass put their nose in it. Just watch the next time you go to the pub.

I wish, LOL (there are no pubs where I live now.)

I always preferred the dimple pint glasses anyway. (Fighting glasses we called 'em back in the day... cos when you were two sheets to the wind you had a handle to hang on to when you were fighting to save yer beer from a disaster as you staggered across the room)

10781686-large.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭nompere

Sudance wrote: »
    "Oriented"

It's orienTATED!!

"Who knew". Where TF did that spawn from????!!!!

I'm looking at my Chambers Dictionary - real not virtual - and it gives both "oriented" and "orientated". You can find both here www.chambers.co.uk/ as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,920 ✭✭✭trashcan

The phrase "Rock up" Ughhh

I wish, LOL (there are no pubs where I live now.)....

No pubs? Rube, as far as I'm concerned you are in heaven! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭northgirl

Snog

That reminds me of an elderly relative who used to say 'snog-in-a-fog when she meant the flower 'love-in-a-mist'. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭northgirl

That reminds me of an elderly relative who used to say 'snog-in-a-fog when she meant the flower 'love-in-a-mist'. :D

Excellent :pac:

Labradoodle Fer heaven'ssake the correct term is MONGREL.

Cockapoo Same idea

All these made up words to milk money from fools who pay it. Really gets my goat........ OOPS sorry OG

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭Jakey Rolling

"Medalling" and "he medalled in the Olympics" - when the hell did "medal" become a verb?? Must be an Americanism.

SPIN DOCTOR - really grinds my gears! Call them for what they are, propaganda officers!

100412.2526@compuserve.com

• Advertisement

Bouncebackabilty ...... what in the seven pits of Hades is that all about

The speed at which an oulwans' or oulfella's skin returns to the same state it was before being lifted/squeezed/pinched. It slows as you get older - mine doesn't return to the original state at all, so, it's got no bouncebackability.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,163 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Or the speed at which one's perspective returns, having been squished by life or someone obnoxious.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭earlytobed

"So" as the first word of an answer.

As in
    "Did you go to Cork"?
    "So. I went to the train station, then met Eileen then went on to Cork"

"What happened in the pub"?
    "So. We were sitting there when John came in......"

I don't understand why so many people begin a sentence with "So"

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

earlytobed wrote: »
    "So" as the first word of an answer.

As in
    "Did you go to Cork"?
    "So. I went to the train station, then met Eileen then went on to Cork"

"What happened in the pub"?
    "So. We were sitting there when John came in......"

I don't understand why so many people begin a sentence with "So"

So what :P :D

It depends on where you are in this country. In some parts of Louth, "Well." is an entire sentence...

Really, really ....

Are people's vocabulary so limited that they have to say really twice.

Really really great event = Absolutely fantastic or exceptionally good, would sound better?

Watching interviews with sportspeople after their event. They tend to use the word 'Yeah' at the end of a sentence when they run out of things to say. Sometimes, they even combine it with "So. Yeah!" Might be something to do with the interviewer not filling in a silence with another question and leaving the interviewee to linger in silence.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Watching interviews with sportspeople after their event. They tend to use the word 'Yeah' at the end of a sentence when they run out of things to say. Sometimes, they even combine it with "So. Yeah!" Might be something to do with the interviewer not filling in a silence with another question and leaving the interviewee to linger in silence.

In fairness, their job is playing their sport, not speaking about it so it's understandable. It bugs me more when our politicians speak and punctuate their sentences with copious amounts of 'em' 'eh' 'er' 'aah' .. just seems to me they're stalling to think up the next lie :rolleyes:.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭barneystinson

Quinoa. Looks like it should be pronounced Quinn-Oh-Ah, is gleefully pronounced Keen-Wah, by the people who litter Facebook with pictures/updates of their latest run/triathlon/gym session etc...

• Advertisement

Quinoa. Looks like it should be pronounced Quinn-Oh-Ah, is gleefully pronounced Keen-Wah, by the people who litter Facebook with pictures/updates of their latest run/triathlon/gym session etc...

And to top it off, it tastes as bad as it sounds... whatever way you pronounce it.

Advertisement